Barracuda A2R Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.71/5 (38 Reviews)

Barracuda A2R

Submitted by Richbert a Weekend Warrior from rwetmore@comcast.net

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2008

Strengths:    Strong Frame, Great Looking Graphics, decent enough peripherals. Decent weight. Easy to balance.

Weaknesses:    Single walled wheels. No disc breaks. Not alot of stopping power and the plastic lever brackets flex under hard breaking.

Bottom Line:
I have used this b!#ch off and on for about 14 years on road to commute and in one hulava tough park. Folded the stock front wheel traversing a down hill (my bad for not changing them out, and had a long sore walk). Bidwell is rocky with alot of drop offs. Never had a problem otherwise. On a kick lately to try and break it though. So far, bike one, me nothing. Smooth, easy to power up and over clefts and big rocky uphills. Fly's downhill. Fly's on smooth dirt. Being a hard tail, gotta get the butt off the seat cause you feel everything. I go 6' 215.......and I don't think I am good enough to do this thing in, I am only an average thrasher. Snapped a chain on a tough rocky uphill, but can hardly blame the bike for that. In the market for my first full suspension, but can't imagine getting rid of the Cuda as long on it still is in one piece.

Favorite Trail:   Bidwell - Upper, Middle & Lower

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose something something ........

Bike Setup:   Stock A2R except for Shimano Deone XT DBL walled wheels, Manitou FS, Bar extenders and a better seat.

Submitted by dave reichelt from ottawa,canada

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2005

Strengths:    stong frame,can abuse& keep in use. keeps on tickin

Weaknesses:    rear brake cable pathway, needs front shocks if off road alot

Bottom Line:
goes thru anything with little maintainance. 4 longevity and a good "commuter" and a good buy nothing will match. I'm going on 7.000 km and still original group/grip shift

Favorite Trail:   highway

Purchased At:   friend

Similar Products Used:   GT tiquesta, giant rincon

Bike Setup:   stx group, 24 spd-grip shift

Submitted by Mark Elli a Weekend Warrior from Vegas by way of Coeur d'Alene, ID

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2003

Strengths:    Stiffer than a straight gin martini, reasonably light for a chromoly frame,low maintainance, can take what ever you throw at it,definitely built to last.

Weaknesses:    It was fully rigid at time of purchase (not a real weakness since I learned descending lines). Stock plastic brake levers broke on second ride. Came stock with cantilever brakes (I don't think v's were around just yet)

Bottom Line:
This is the first bike I've ever seriously ridden (the only, honestly). I have beaten this bike to heck and back all over North Idaho and recently southern Nevada. I have owned this bike for 7 years. The fork has held up very well with maintainence and so has everything else. I will be buying a new F/S bike soon, but I cannot part with this one. This bike is a cockroach. It will be around long after we are gone!

Favorite Trail:   Canfield of course!

Purchased At:   Vertical Earth

Similar Products Used:   Why?

Bike Setup:   Mostly stock (old school STX drive train) Manitou Mach 5 SX fork, Avid V brakes, Scott pedals (too worn to read model), Bontrager Race handlebar and with Titec bar ends (Thanks, Scott) Mavic CrossMax rim in front (Free, thanks to the guy who ripped off the rest of Scott's bike). LX rapidfire shifters.

Submitted by Daniel P. from Albuquerque, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2003

Strengths:    stiff, strong, agile frame

Weaknesses:    Paint comes off easily, heavy

Bottom Line:
This was the first bike I assembled myself, with proper maintenance it could last a lifetime. The frame is superstrong and soft on the rear. Has never given me any problems on rides or ultra races. The newer aluminum versions of the a2r can't be half as good as the original steel.

Favorite Trail:   otero canyon

Similar Products Used:   Rockhopper Comp, GT Karakoram, Diamondback Apex

Bike Setup:   Manitou SX-R, LX throughout, Performance Topo Brakes

Submitted by Eric Ratch a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Strengths:    -Indestructable frame
-nice graphics
-handles well
-stiff

Weaknesses:    -paint has continued to flake off
-annoying little squeak

Bottom Line:
***This review is for the frame only***

I bought the frame from Cyclepath in Brantford after my Klein Mantra died and used some of its parts to build up this beutiful hardtail. Its a 1996 steel frame. It handles great, especially in thight technical situations. There is just a hint of flex in the frame but its not even noticeable unless your in a stationary trainer, but I'm also 200 lbs so this could be expected. The damn paint is crap, it flakes off and leaves the steel frame exposed to the elements, causing rust. Luckily I cought this before hand and did some touch ups. If you ever see a bike like this for sale buy it. These old steel hardtails kick ass like a pissed off WWE wrestler. You won't be dissapointed!

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Spine

Rock Shox Judy SL fork
Michelin XLS rubber

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2002

Strengths:    -Super strong frame
-Cool looking decals and paint

Weaknesses:    -Paint flakes too easily

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame about 2 weeks ago from my Cyclepath in Brantford. Built it up with the parts from my broken Klein, and now I can't stop riding it. The frame is stiff and there is no noticeable side to side flex while pedaling-ever (and I'm 210 lbs 6'). It corners well and is reasonably light weight for a steel hardtail. Mine weighs in at 24lbs. I had a FS bike (Klein Mantra Comp) but decided to go back to a hardtail after many costly repairs to the rear shock. The final nail in the coffin was when the Mantra cracked at the dropout. Coming from a FS bike back to a hardtail is difficult, I can't sit through the rough stuff anymore but thats ok because now I can feel what I'm riding over. After only 2 weeks I've put on 150 off road km, and I still can't get enough. I'm gonna ride this bike until I kill it. In a few months I will update my post.

Favorite Trail:   Fire Trails

Similar Products Used:   Giant Rincon, GT Outpost, DBR Topanga

Bike Setup:   Barracuda A2R frame, Shimano LX/XTR drivetrain, Judy SL fork, Mavic wheels, Titec stem/post, Radical Hy Rize bar

Submitted by Daniel a Cross Country Rider from Albuquerque

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    Agile, good strong welds, slick paint job

Weaknesses:    tad heavy, rear brake cable routing tricky for v-brakes

Bottom Line:
I put this bike together in the spring and can't stop riding it, The A2R has an aggressive frame geometry and tight wheelbase which makes it a joy to handle on the technical stuff. I like the teardrop shap, and did not hesitate to sacrifice weight for the stiffness and durability of chromoly. The best bike I will ever own!

Favorite Trail:   Elena Gallegos

Purchased At:   ebay auction

Similar Products Used:   gt karakoram, specialized rockhopper comp

Bike Setup:   Manito SX-R, LX, Grip shift

Submitted by Tim Hefner a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2001

Strengths:    Great Entry Level bike that can upgraded easily as you get more into the sport.

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy, entry level components are pretty crappy

Bottom Line:
This bike is great for anyone trying to get into the sport. I bought mine at half off at the year end sale, but all stock. I had to buy a fork first of all because it comes w/ a rigid fork. I also needed to replace all the entry level parts when I got more into biking. Overall for just starting out it is a great bike that you can find at incredible prices. Give the little guys a chance, screw trek schwinn and specialized.

Favorite Trail:   Moraine St. Park

Purchased At:   Race Pace in Ellicott City, MD

Similar Products Used:   big name hardtails like trek and schwinn

Bike Setup:   Manitou FS, LX/XT drive train, Titec, Schimano, Bontrager, parts

Submitted by Bobby Bell from Middlebury, CT

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Strengths:    strong, looks good, rides smooth

Weaknesses:    mine came with a rigid fork too which should be changed if you plan on using it off road a lot like me.

Bottom Line:
This bike is fast and strong! Considering the price of this bike and that it is made out of steel, it is very light, has great control, and can take a beating. It also offers a ride so smooth that you'll never need a full suspension bike..well, if you take that awful rigid fork off.

Similar Products Used:   c'dales, trek 6000 and 8000, giant rincoln, raleigh m50, etc.

Bike Setup:   'cuda A2limited frame, lx components, Judy C fork

Submitted by Dirthead a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2000

Strengths:    great ride,strong,and you don't see yourself at every intersection like canondale riders will

Weaknesses:    those rigid forks!!!!Upgrade or die(Mine only bent, I crashed cause the pedal dug in after the landing)

Bottom Line:
Barracuda made some great frames. I've abused mine to the point I've distroyed many, many parts. The frame lives on. I have a 20" frame, and for my 6'3" body it fits perfect. I love the teardrop tubing and I think this contributes to the stability and SWEET ride. Use a short stem(120-130mm) and she flies like the wind. Steel IS real.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali(ThomsonLoop)