Baracuda A2BS Bike 1998 or Older

3.86/5 (7 Reviews)

Baracuda A2BS

Submitted by bender bender a Weekend Warrior from utah

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2004

Strengths:    frame.

Weaknesses:    nill

Bottom Line:
naaaa, only joking its bull crud.

Favorite Trail:   of a cliff

Price Paid:    $20000.00

Purchased At:   go-ride

Similar Products Used:   karpiel.

Bike Setup:   super monster t, chris king hubs, headset,mavic dee max, arrow 3.0" tyres, sdg bigboy seat, hope m4 discs.

Submitted by spunkylarry a weekend warrior from vensula

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

I boght this a2bs baracuda most of people here have an a2b wicth is not is as good as the a2bs awsome bike came with judy dh and esp wicth was replaced to sts

Submitted by billey a cross-country rider from ima austin texas

Date Reviewed: November 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

this bike is the best bike i have ever had in the parts i had a lot of greif but the local bike shop fgixed for onley 25 dollars wich i though would be at least 46-100 dollars

Submitted by Angus Lemon a weekend warrior from Anaheim, CA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased a Baracuda A2B in mid-1994 and rode it until June of 98. The bike weighed 29 pounds to start, and most of the components were eventually upgraded. The A2B handled fast fire roads, plumb-bob steep drops and jumps predictably. In time,however, I found the handling a little sluggish.
The bike now serves as an errand bike. The straight gauge chrome-moly frame, while somewhat heavy, never failed. The bike survived much hard use, many violet biffs (including one that put me in the hospital)and never complained. A good bike, a good value, a little heavy.

Submitted by E. Mull a cross-country rider from Attleboro, Mass

Date Reviewed: June 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently picked bought a 1998 Barracuda A2B for $700. I immediately took it to the test and ran it on the toughest tracks around my area which consists of Foxboro State Forest (one of the top 50 areas across the country - so I'm told). It thankfully held up to the challenge and climbed great. I'm partial to grip shift so the SRAM ESP 700 series shifts and ESP 7.0 carbon composite rear derailers is a great set up for some of the more than decent components that you get with this bike. If you want to save some money, and still get some great components, consider the 1998 Cuda A2B. And yes it comes with front suspension (Rock shox Indy XC).

Submitted by Jeff Johnson a weekend warrior from Ft. Collins, CO.

Date Reviewed: February 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I Think that the Barracuda A2B is an excellent value (especially when found on close outs). The frame is extremely stable; I could take my bike down 45-60 degree pitches and not worry about going over the handlebars. Also, the fram is extremely strong and light. In the rigid fork version, my bike weighed out at 27 pounds.For those of us with short legs and long torsos, this bike is a perfet choice because of the longer top tube. Also, the componentry can't be beat on a bike at this price. STX front and rear derailures and hubs, makes this an excellent value. The rigid fork model has one drawback.While the straight fork adds stability to the bike on downhill runs, it offers no shock absorption. The bike will beat you to death. My suggestion is to replace the fork with an Indy C.Unfortunately, someone liked my bike better than I did and it was stolen. I replaced it with a Marin Muir Woods, which has a different geometry, but more on that some other time.If your looking for a bike that is tough and an excellent value with a frame that you would not be ashamed to upgrade, check out the A2B. It's a great bike.

Submitted by Jon Rubino a weekend warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: January 11, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am new to the weekend warrior scene, since I've only been riding for short time. I recently
purchased a Baracuda A2BS equipped with a rock shox indy C. The bike came with a pretty solid
set components for a rookie buyer/rider. This bike has handled the challenges of Mount Snow and
totally dominated all the local trails. Most of my buddies who are veterens to the Weekend Warrior
scene were impressed with the bike and agree that for the price (less than $500) it is a great choice.

Value of older Barracuda A2BS

I had a Barracuda a few years ago that I liked. Saw a 16" Baraccuda A2BS on sale on Craigslist last Winter. Bought it for a friend because I thought he'd like it, but after both he AND his daughter crashed it, he decided he didn't want it anymore. Gave him his money back yesterday and am going to ... Read More »

Barracuda A2BS

So I found it on Ebay for 135.00. I researched it everywhere from bikepedia to MTBR etc. All I can say is..this is a DEAL. For a mess around bike I've upgraded the tires, brakes, brake levers, shifters, and threw some add ons...If anyone was looking for a retro 1998 esque bike for a great price.. ... Read More »