Balanced Audio Technology AL750 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

MSRP : $1990.00

Balance AL750 Bike

Submitted by cooperacolt a Cross Country Rider from bremerton

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2010

Strengths:    i really dony know.the fact everyone is trying to buy this bike off me

Weaknesses:    i need to get new rims break pads and derailercame w an easton neck that dont fit

Bottom Line:
this bike is obviously tight as hell but i just found it busted up in the middle of the street.luckily its me finding it and iam a weekend rider of sorts.i love riding getting more and more in to it and ive done my research and am lookin for responses on this bike .advise is welcome and at this point the bike seems to b worth 1900 msrp.true or false?im looking to fix up bike to better it.yes i already know this bike is no longer built therfore worth money balance went bankrupt in 97-98.really what can i get for this bike just incase i do decide to sell.

Favorite Trail:   my route

Purchased At:   on the block

Similar Products Used:   schwinn
impact[hydroformed aluminum down hill f&r shocks

Bike Setup:   easton neck,specialized tires and minitou 4s transparent quick shift,uphill brace bars

Submitted by Spencer Starks a Cross Country Rider from Glendale

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2007

Strengths:    Stiffness, geometry, weight

Weaknesses:    No rear Disc mount

Bottom Line:
This is the closest review I could find to the AL850, I really love this bike and untill now never thought of getting rid of it. Back in the day it was lighter than most every thing out there. This frame has seen many races and thousends of miles of trails. I worked in a bike shop or two bake in the day and have takien a brake from the bike thing for the last two years. In that time there have been many advances in bicycle tech. I will never let this frame out of my sight......

Favorite Trail:   All South Mountain

Purchased At:   Tempe Bike

Similar Products Used:   Al450

Bike Setup:   XTR, XT, Marzocchi XC 700

Submitted by Jeroen van den Brand a Cross Country Rider from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2001

Strengths:    Strenght, looks, controlability

Bottom Line:
Still riding this rig. Like it still from day one. There are some scratches on the frame right now, but that is since I ride this bike a lot. Been virualy every were with it. Love the quick cornering and predictablility.

Last year had a second bike next to my AL750. It was a steel Specialized. Sold it after 1600 km, since almost everything about the bike sucked, except the frame. Since I loved the ride of that steel frame, I began looking around for nice other 'second' bikes. Ended up with ordering a VooDoo Bizango 2000. This bike never came to me, so after waiting for more than 6 months, and getting richer, decided to order a DeKerf Team SL. This bike was build for me in December 2000 and became my way in Januari. Still, saddly, in the process of building the rig.

I became a big fan of the steel-feel. Though, I will never turn down my good 'ol '97 Balance AL750. I am thinking of restoring it to an complete '97 bike with the original steel fork and oldschool XT parts.

Check my 750 and Team SL out at: http://communities.msn.nl/cruelcycles

See ya. This will be my last review on this bike, I think....

Balance is out of the scene and never will return, so it is useless to discuss the great ride it can be, if you aren't able to buy one.....

Jeroen van den Brand
The Netherlands

Similar Products Used:   Balance AL450, Specialized, Trek, VooDoo, the usual

Bike Setup:   Look to my other reviews, below.....

Submitted by Jeroen van den Brand a Cross Country Rider from Boxtel, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2000

Strengths:    Frame, looks, riding caracteristics, everything

Weaknesses:    Forged dropouts, I would like to see some CNC'ed things....

Bottom Line:
Great bike and I still want nothing else for racing around!! Just upgraded my bike with own-made Chris King hubs with Sapim spokes and Mavic 517 rims. Now the bike does not only look good, it sounds even better with that King hub!!!! Please mail me, if you want to see some pic's!
I like to get in contact with other Balance bikers!!!

Ciao

Favorite Trail:   Ardennen

Similar Products Used:   AL450, Trek, Specialized, VooDoo, Cannondale, etc.

Bike Setup:   Complete custombuild RockShox Judy SL LT, 1395gram!! New yellow (Judy SL '98) colored SID lower leg part and new crown, since my previous broke... King headset and hubs, Mavic, XT 9spd and ESP 9.0sl derrailleur and shifters, Magura brakes and Michelin Wildgripper

Submitted by Noriel from Sugar Land, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2000

Strengths:    Nice frame geometry, got it for a good deal at Sun & Ski.
Very agile and can climb.

Weaknesses:    aluminum doesn't last forever, and I cant find a new frame without going on some quest. Mine didn't have a replaceable rear derr. dropout. I did find a small crack near the hole where the rear pannier attaches.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. Too bad I can't find it around the web. If any of you balance owners out there still have your catalogs, could you please email me? I accidently threw mine out while moving out, so I have no idea what my dimensions are. BTW, My AL 750 is the polished and Aqua blue color. I think I'll go with those Grip Shift betsy's and a red suspension for to complete my "All American" bike theme wish I could get it done by July 4...

Favorite Trail:   Crown Ridge (San Antonio, TX)

Bike Setup:   Rigid fork, balance hubs, GS X-Rays, XT deraileurs, LX cranks, basically stock, and it's just fine that way.

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff frame that handle's like a dream. Not the lightest on the market, but one off the finest, YES! Looks great.

Weaknesses:    Nothing found yet

Bottom Line:
I am going to upgrade this bike soon. I will put RaceFace cranks on my bike, and some Syncros parts... My fork cracks at the joints of the crown. I will get a new crown/upper legs soon. Then I will build the Judy to '00 SID SL. I think the weight will go down with appox. 300 grams at the front of the bike....

Soon I will have pictures of my bike. Mail me! I would like to come in contact with other Balance riders!!!

Favorite Trail:   Ardennen, Belgium

Similar Products Used:   Specialized, Balance AL450, Trek, the usual

Bike Setup:   RockShox Judy SL '98 LT, Chris King headset, Chris King Classic hubset, DT spokes, Mavic 517, XT, ESP 9.0SL 9spd, Magura HS 33 Quicksilver....

Submitted by Terry Heisler a Weekend Warrior from St. Albert, AB. Canada

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Strengths:    Fast,Fast& Fast! Stiff as hell!

Weaknesses:    Can not get a new one.

Bottom Line:
I ride an AL 650 a 93 with the high polish aluminum. I have thought about buying a new bike for a few years but nothing I ride can come close on single track. So I keep upgrading components and I will till I kill this frame which does not appear possible. I wish I could buy another Balance, too bad this company quit making frames.

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale sort of.

Bike Setup:   Bomber Z4, Race Face cranks, Victor DH pedals, Syncros stem, XT transmision, Mavic rims, Specialized rubber, Ringle hubs.

Submitted by Terry Heisler a Weekend Warrior from St. Albert, AB. Canada

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2000

Strengths:    Fast,Fast& Fast! Stiff as hell!

Weaknesses:    Can not get a new one.

Bottom Line:

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale sort of.

Submitted by Chris King a Cross-Country Rider from Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 19, 1999

Strengths:
Strong and light and has a very aggressive geometry.

Weaknesses:
none!

Bottom Line:
The AL-750 frame is controllable and very stiff. I won't switch frame before it breaks.http://zap.to/chrisking

more than 3 years

Rocky Mountain, Cannondale

Mavic Cross Link, Race Face LP Turbine, Magura Harlequin, XT F&R Derailleur, Manitou M4

Submitted by ralph huckable a Weekend Warrior from hon. hi

Date Reviewed: August 4, 1999

Strengths:
excellent bike!!
climbs and descends like a dream!
perfer it over my friends xc bikes. Zaskar's and a M2. great fade paint job. had it for over 2 years.

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
this is one kickass ride dudes!!!

2 Years

chris king headset. Z1 bomber,535 pedals,bontager riser bars and XT's all around.

Submitted by Jeroen van den Brand Again! a Cross-Country Rider from Boxtel, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 4, 1999

Bottom Line:
Yo Balance-bikers! Some people say Balance isn't on this planet anymore! But how come I still find pictures from '98 and '99 models in a German market-review??? Complete powdercoated frames build out of Tange Premium Alu!!! German importeur:
B C GmbH....!!!! What's going on????

1 Year

Submitted by Jeroen van den Brand a Cross-Country Rider from Boxtel, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Bottom Line:
YO BALANCE DUDES!!!! Read my review on this page! What bothers me is that no one seems to know if Balance still excists, CAN ANYBODY TELL ME MORE ABOUT THEM???
AND BALANCE-COLLEGUE'S, ISN'T TIME TO SET UP AN BALANCE OWNERS CLUB, OR SOMETHING???? IF BALANCE IS BANKRUPT, CANT WE JUST RAIS MONEY OR SOMETHING??? CAN'T WE DO ANYTHING, .........ANYTHING???? PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR REACTION ON: CRUELCYCLES@HOTMAIL.COM (Jeroen van den Brand....)

Date Reviewed: May 25, 1999

Strengths:
Incredible strong and light frame! Ive riden a few other bikes, but non were as strong and well handeling as this 750!

Weaknesses:
The paintwork from my '97 AL-450 wasn't great, my 750 is painted better....

Bottom Line:
My '97 750 (which I bought in '98) rides very well. I agree with all the other comments, fast hadeling, stiff, stron, light and very well in climbing!!! My front wheel never leaves the ground!!! I would like do get in contact with some other Balance riders at the other side of the world, USA etc. Can anybody tell me if it's true Balance stopped building bikes???

Our training-trail......

1 Year

Specialized, Trek, most great-brands, which I don't like!!!

Ultimate XC bike: Judy SL LT '98, ESP 9.0SL, Magura Quicksilver, XT parts, Mavic 217 with Michelin Wildgripper

Submitted by Ramon Drake a cross-country rider from Northestern USA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 1998

Bottom Line:

Bought this bike when it came out on the Summer of 1995. Everything on it is basically maintainance-free. My odometer reads 2322 miles and counting. I don't own a car. Thus I've been riding this bike for over three years now. Most of the original componentry have been replaced with XTRs, Suns, Kings and other after market items. Except for the Manitou 4 fork whick is stock except for the Sped Springs and SRP Ti boltings. The frame is rugged and very forgiving. I've riddden it through pot-hole-infested NYC, 5 foot jumps, and miles and miles of off-road. My friends have been pushing me to buy a Merlin but I refuse to. Merlins are just too snappy. The AL-750 frame is stiff and very controllable especially on climbs and downhills.
If the company were still around, I would have bought 2 more frames from them. Since they went out of business a years after they debut it seems that the chance of buying one is unlikely.

Submitted by Bill Hilow a cross-country rider from USA, CA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi fellow Bikers.
bought AL-750 FS. Sure it is heavy but I love it. I guess this is sort of a cleansing of the soul. Balance originally a California company, was together with Answer/manitou which explains the rear shock arrangement. Back in 1994-1995 that meant something. Since the neigbors kid raced BMX and had a balance 150 almuminum BMXer I though hey cool this bike company must be like Mongoose or something. I shelled out $1499 for the FS and love the shit out of that bike, According to my odometer it now has 7500miles on it and the rear shocks/ end need a rebuild bad! so does the swing arm pivot. That thing sounds like my grandfather getting up in the morning snaps crackles and pops. I ride the shit out of that thing but it keeps hammering. I weigh about 205Lbs and do not take the easy route with that thing roots rocks anything I hammer it!! So the other riders laugh let them I take pride in knowing that since I am riding a heavier bike i am getting into better shape. People new to mountain biking think it looks high tech!!!