Amp B4 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.53/5 (55 Reviews)

Amp B4

Submitted by David Randall a Cross Country Rider from Duncan, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Strengths:    Light, technical, balanced, amazing, lithe.

Weaknesses:    Not good for heavy and/or very hard riders. This bike is made to be used with technique.

Bottom Line:
LOVED this bicycle. Selling it was one of my "stupider" moves. Nothing ever went wrong with this bike (unlike my B2), I didn't even have to rebuild the shocks (though they could have used an oil change).

Note though that this is not a bike for hard-style riding; it's likes being ridden like a roadbike in the dirt. The F4BLT fork climbs over anything, but does not like "air". Very fast if used properly.

I'm looking for another one...

Favorite Trail:   Tiger Mountain, WA

Purchased At:   $700 (frame and fork)

Similar Products Used:   Nothing comes close

Bike Setup:   AMP B4 frame with F4BLT fork (no carbon). Mostly XT with Chris King headset. Rhino-lite rims wiyh AMP disks.

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2001

Strengths:    Best handling & climbing fsb available in it's time

Weaknesses:    Shocks

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike in '95. Since that time I've put over 10,000 miles on it, 90% off road. I weigh 160 and ride hard but not abusively. I blew the rear shock regulary (used to carry a spare and change it out mid rides). I switched to the Risse which transformed the bike, absolutely no problems with the Risse. The disks eat pads but stop and stop quick w/ good modulation. I'm on my third set of fork/frame pivots.

This bike is a great ride. Amp's customer service has been prompt and fair. Travel is a bit limited by today's standards (2.5 in) but it's all usable. There's zero sticktion, and the suspension is fully active at all times. The bike climbs outstandingly and handles great. The forks are lateraly stiff especially for their weight. Folks who descrive the Amp fork as "flexy" should ride a SID SL down a fast rocky trail - that's not just flexy, it's scarey!

I've ridden many fully suspended bikes, more so recently as new ones show up. The Amp B4 still outperforms most of the stuff on the market today, even much of the high end stuff.

It's a fully suspended bike with many pivots and disk brakes. Maintenance comes with the package, as it does with any bike like this. The shocks were inadequate, Risse fixed that.

I'll probably have to replace my B4 in a year or so as wear and tear and crashes have take their toll. Hopefully I'll find something that comes near to it's ride. I've never regretted buying the Amp, and feel it's given me much more than my money's worth.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Moots, ProFlex, Titus, Trek, Schwinn, and a host of others

Bike Setup:   Amp disks, Amp b2 front fork, Risse Astro 5 rear shock, XT, Topline cranks

Submitted by Richie Rich a Cross Country Rider from Wisconsin

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2001

Strengths:    Bought mine back in '97.It was very light for the time(23 lbs),3 inches of front and rear travel,and had some interesting design concepts.Too bad none of them worked!

Weaknesses:    Where do I start?All of AMP's bikes are underbuilt,overpriced garbage.The ride was soggy,and the front triangle was far too flexy.It handled like a motorhome compared to my '95 Fat Chance Wicked(which I still have today)The bushings and linkage were underbuilt and poorly designed,requiring constant maintainance to keep working.The AMP linkage fork was also a joke!Extremely flexy and dived whenever the brakes were touched.I replaced it with a '97 Judy XC before it had a chance to kill me.The AMP disc brakes had terrible stopping power and overheated,no matter what pads I used.I warped 2 sets of rotors on gentle downhills!And my rear caliper DIED,for no apparent reason,leaving me with no rear brake.

The AMP shock was weak too--I went through 5 of them!And their customer service was some of the worst I've ever seen.One of their lovely employees put me on hold for 10 minutes and then disconnected me while I was trying to get them to warranty my rear shock.Some service!I am glad AMP is out of business.They deserved it.

Bottom Line:
Horst Leitner was ahead of his time,but the execution of his designs at AMP was terrible.Need proof?Maintenance record at final count(before I sold it in Oct. '98 for a Klein Adroit Race):5 rear shocks,2 new disk brake rotors,3 sets of pads,1 new rear caliper,1 new fork,and 1 rear "Horst" linkage plus bushings.I easily spent more than the frame's price alone fixing all of this!And customer service from AMP is virtually non-existent.If I knew I would have this much trouble,I would never have bought from AMP to begin with.0 chilies as far as I'm concerned,because no bike costing this much($3500 complete)should ever be this shoddy in quality,and the poor service from the company only serves to amplify my complaints.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine

Purchased At:   Shop in Chicago

Similar Products Used:   This is the only FS bike I've owned.After enduring 10 months of problems,you can keep full-suspension as far as I'm concerned.I'm sticking with hardtails.

Bike Setup:   SOLD.Current bikes are a '95 Fat Chance Wicked(first MTB),a '98 Klein Adroit Race,and my newest bike,a Seven Sola Ti.

Submitted by John aka Birdman a Cross Country Rider from Central NJ

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, enduring design, good performance for a XC MTB, gee-whiz factor

Weaknesses:    Some part failures, covered by AMP under warranty - shockstay, seat tower, leaking brake calipers.

Bottom Line:
A great lightweight (about 24.5 lbs), consistent performing MTB - 3" travel front & back. I've had it since '96, and I'll probably never sell it.

Favorite Trail:   Round Valley

Purchased At:   Rebec & Kroes, Ottawa, ON

Similar Products Used:   My one and only full suspension MTB. I've owned other bikes, but they were all hardtails - Specialized M2FS with Futureshock (Mag 21) air/oil fork, Cannondale CAAD2 with Fatty HeadShock (air/oil), Cannondale M400 rigid (current 'townie' ride).

Bike Setup:   AMP F-4BLT linkage fork with carbon legs & new AMP dampers, AMP D-1 disk brakes front & rear, Risse Genesis air/oil rear shock, full XT (8 sp), Syncros ti seatpost, Kore elite stem, Easton CT-2 carbon h'bar, Race Face Turbine cranks (180mm), Selle Italia Max Flite cutout saddle, 747 SPD pedals, Mavic 217 rims, IRC Notos tires.

Submitted by KEITH a Cross Country Rider from NORTH CAROLINA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2000

Strengths:    Great ride, great going up or down.

Weaknesses:    Rear shock is the WORST PIECE OF JUNK EVER PUT ON A BIKE.

Bottom Line:
The first amp rear shock lasted about 3 months. BOOM. Over the next 9 months I went through 11 more. YEAH I MEANT 11. I had a terrible time with customer service dept. Finally after they got tired of hearing from me and lieing to me telling me I was thw only one having the problem, They gave me an Astro 5 Reisse. WOW WHAT A DIFFERENCE. I have ridden it for 1 1/2 yrs now without a problem. My F4BLT was a great match for the oil shock (when it worked)but didn't work as well w/air. Great fork for a hardtail or coil over rear suspension but not w/air. I have a lot of light stuff but for some reason my bike isn't as light as what others claim. It weighs 23.7 on a real certified scale. I could find a scale to lie to me but why would I want to do that. In conclusion, it is a great ride especially for the new lower price tag of 700.00 unlike 1100.00 previously. $ for $ it is better than any f/s by far. spring for the air on the rear to start with and save all the frustration of trying to deal w/amp I give it 4 chiles. Oh Yeah, I wouldn't recommend it for a rider over 180 or so.

Favorite Trail:   TSALI

Similar Products Used:   giant, specialized, cannondale,

Bike Setup:   B-4 frame w/astro 5 air rear shock, sid sl front, gthubs ceramic rims, ti bb. cane ck headset, kooka crank, xtr brakes, shifters & der, ritchey ti peddles, flite ti rail seat.

Submitted by Slide a Cross-Country Rider from Yuma, AZ

Date Reviewed: December 7, 1999

Strengths:
light weight
looks cool
continuous cable routing

Weaknesses:
rear shock
not much travel
rear shock
did I mention rear shock?

Bottom Line:
I bought my first AMP in 1995, and was thrilled with it for a while (having upgraded from a rigid steel bike). I liked it OK until two months ago, when I bought a GT I-drive. Now that's what a FS bike should be! Back to the AMP - yes, it's light, but the rear shock just doesn't cut it. I am on my third one, and it still needs new oil about every 2-3 rides. I had one rebuilt, and it froze on the third ride.I have also had a problem with a cracked frame, and although I got a new one for half price, AMP's customer service/tech support isn't the greatest.

more than 3 years

GT XCR 2000

F-3 fork, LX/XT, Sachs PGE shifters, Avid brakes

Submitted by Walter Langer a Cross-Country Rider from Victoria, B.C., Canada

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
light weight
climbs well
fun to ride

Weaknesses:
stock rear shock is a piece of *%$#
frame has cracked twice - that's a major weakness

Bottom Line:
It's a good bike in theory but falls short in practicality. The front triangle has not lasted more than four months without cracking at the head tube/down tube junction. It goes without saying that the stock rear shock falls well short of its objective since no shock damps without oil.
To top it off Horst apparently does not think he should warranty the frame beyond a year even though the front triangle will only be 3 months old when a year comes around. I'm seeing a lawyer though so we'll see.

Birth Control

6 months

Manitou SX with a Risse rear

Submitted by FatBob a weekend warrior from Albuq, NM

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased a B-4 about three years ago. At the time I was about 170 and racing. Since that time I've put on about 20 pounds and its made quite a difference in how the bike feels. If you are light enough this can be a great bike but if you are heavy and go out and thrash them things start to give. The stock shocks suck on a good day. Also because most of my riding involves climbing as much as downhill I've gone back to a hardtail. I guess you can't teach an old dog new tricks. Three flamers for light weight only.

Submitted by gman a cross-country rider from Anchorage

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought this bike with high hopes about two years ago! It hasn't met the standard that I have for a worthy ride. Most folks up here have given up on the horsthit! It may be all right for someone who wants to look cool riding down the bike trail on the beach or a person who doesn’t put many miles on. But, If you are into backcountry, creek crossing, 40 miles out in the middle of nowhere, type riding! You had better pack some good hiking boots! Don't get me wrong, this bike is made up of a bunch of great ideas! You just can’t count on them!
Ingenuity ~~~> 5
Reliability~~> 1

Submitted by Birdman a cross-country rider from Princeton, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've had an AMP B-4 for about 3 years now, with the D-1 brakes and F-4 BLT fork. The brakes work great, with reasonable modulation and great power. I've just replaced the pads and return springs for the first time ($51 direct). The only other problem I had was leaking calipers, which AMP rebuilt free of charge. They are light, powerful brakes that don't fade or wear fast.The fork is a little loose now, but still performs beautifully. I've only replaced the shock oil once so far, but it's probably due.I've had two problems with the frame - the shockstay and the seat tower broke. Both were replaced by AMP. I've changed the shock oil a few times already, but I've just switched to a Risse Genisis shock. The AMP shock was drawing air, resulting in unpredictable damping action. Overall, I love the bike, and wouldn't think of parting with it.

Submitted by Angie a cross-country rider from utah

Date Reviewed: October 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the b4 frame because it was the only frame I could find that was light weight and availible, so far there are no regrets. Sound like everyone has problems with the rear shock, my problem with it is that I weigh about 115#'s. I have ordered a lighter spring so maybe now I can tell if I'm on my hard tail or my B4. I don't understand why everyone thinks it's such a hot looking bike I don't think it looks that great, but then again the way it looks doesn't matter its how it rides. And its a sweet LIGHTWEIGHT ride!

Submitted by Jeff a cross-country rider from Farmington, CT.

Date Reviewed: October 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'm very pleased with my Amp B4, although I went through 5 rear shocks. I replaced it with a the Risse Genesis, and like the bike even better. It excells on steep technial climbs. It feels almost like hardtail, except it takes the edge off the hard hits. If you want plush, this is not the bike for you. If you want a light, fast F.S., this is the bike you want.

Submitted by Gibson Anderson a cross-country rider from Saratoga, California

Date Reviewed: September 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

After 27 months on my AMP B4/F4/D1 I'm still in love! It's a joy to ride, wet, dry, hot or cold. It's a trick looking, elegant, pure function design. If someone stole it, I'd buy another one in a minute. (Well MAYBE a B5!) Yeah, I had some rear shock problems but AMP seems to have that sorted out. AMP Customer Support (Brian LaBelle especially)couldn't be more helpful. Great bike. Great people.

Submitted by Karl a cross-country rider from Blandon, PA

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I'm posting a followup to my May 27 review, in which I gave my pre-Risse Genesis B4 five anticipatory chilies. After some three months of riding this bike with its new shock, I can reaffirm those chilies. I came back from a ride recently and said Damn, I love this bike. Why? It's light (mine is about 23# even -- wish I could say that about my other FS bikes), fast, and the suspension is just enough to let me ride comfortably for hours on any terrain, with no detriment to climbing or accelerating performance.The Risse is much more reliable than the stock AMP unit. While I would have expected about three AMP shock rebuilds during that same three-month time frame, the Risse keeps on going. The compression damping is just about right for cross-country riding, and rebound almost right on, maybe a tad slow. That requires only a quick trip back to the factory for readjustment, though. I hear rumors that future AMPs will have Risse shocks OEM! For diehard fans of the AMPhysema of the pre-97 AMP shocks, the Risse air shock makes a similar noise.BTW, AMP sent me gratis Strudels for my D1 discs. NO MORE BRAKE DRAG!Risse is at http://home.earthlink.net/~risse/index.html.

Submitted by maxime imbert a cross-country rider from ottawa, ontario canada

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own an amp b4 (the best bike in the world). I love it because it climbs
so well without bobbing and it is very light. It descends very well to.
I reccomend this bike to everybody. the disc brakes work extrremely well too.
This bike is the best bike I ever rode in my whole life! anybody who wants a light dual suspension should buy this one!!! !! !

LXP B4 4*XM-L U2, 6*18650, 3500lumens Bike light

Okay, I'm only posting this for the Lumen junkies. [URL="http://www.intl-outdoor.com/lxp-b4-4xml-u2-618650-3500lumens-bike-light-p-506.html"] LXP B4 4*XM-L U2, 6*18650, 3500lumens Bike light[/URL] I have no idea how well it works or what kind of beam pattern it throws. At $148 who really cares. : ... Read More »