Amp B3 Bike Bike 1998 or Older

3.53/5 (34 Reviews)

Amp B3

Submitted by quondam a Weekend Warrior from london

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2009

Strengths:    wicked looks, wicked ride, the b2/3 was a real looker and brill ride

Weaknesses:    no support in the uk for this bike after 2000 so had to sell, a shame as the forks and frame really stood out and was a pleasure to ride

Bottom Line:
a real shame the uk didn't have people working on supplying bits for the b2/3 as loved this bike to bits, rode well and proformed brilliantly, had to sell due to this.

Favorite Trail:   london

Purchased At:   1000

Similar Products Used:   haven't had a full suspention bike since the amp

Bike Setup:   lx all over but twist grip gears

Submitted by Troy a Weekend Warrior from Scottsdale, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2005

Bottom Line:
My review isn't so much about the bike as the manufacturer, The bike I love and had wanted one for years before I stumbled into one. Mostly I want to talk about AMP service. I've called AMP for a couple of things now and was incredibly satisfied with them. I believe it is Brian I spoke with (and I think I've seen his name in other reviews) and not only was he knowledgable, but he cut me some good deals, set me in the right direction and gave me some great advice. I tried to save a few bucks on pads by ordering them elsewhere and after shipping and sending back the wrong pads that I was invariably shipped, I gotta say, go with AMP directly. You get all the stuff you need (not just pads) and it's gonna be right the first time. Anyway, for what it's worth, I've had several really good experiances now and just wanted to share.

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Strengths:    It rides OK on straight flat roads.

Weaknesses:    1. Very very poor lateral stiffness. In hard turns, the AMP felt like one of those old “funny” bikes that you could unlatch the back half of the bike and let the rear wheel take a different line than the front.
2. The seat stays were not stiff enough. After I put on an extra brake arch and hydraulic brakes, the rear worked OK.
3. The AMP fork was a joke!!! Falling rate suspension works great on motorcycles with 10+ inches of travel, but is a very bad idea on a front fork with a 2 inches of travel. Didn’t soak up the small stuff and would blow through the travel on medium to large hits. I changed out the fork, but was always afraid the frame would break, as using a non-amp fork voided the warranty.
4. The pivots required a lot of maintenance and exacerbated my dislike of this bike.

Bottom Line:
I’m a heavy guy. I’m 6’3” and 190lbs. This bike is way under built for a large guy. It is under built for anyone over 100lbs. To be fair, after spending the money and time to change the fork, brakes, and brake bridge, the bike could have been a good ride for a light person who did not ride very aggressively.

I sold My AMP years ago for almost nothing. I morally couldn’t ask much for it. It just wasn’t worth it. This bike scared me away from full suspension until last year, when I bought a Specialized Enduro. The Enduro has the same basic design as the AMP (Specialized actually bought the design from AMP), but is built significantly better. The AMP was all the rage when it first came out, which is why I got it. When I read some of the positive reviews on this website, I felt I had to correct any idea that this frame is an acceptable alternative to a good bike. IT IS NOT.

Similar Products Used:   Nothing else as bogus as the AMP. I have owned a Cannondale,a Dean Colonel, a Klein Rascal, a Gillacutti Steel, and a Specialized Enduro.

Bike Setup:   The components specs. changed over the time I owned the bike, as a kept changing components in hopes of correcting the inherent weaknesses of the frame.

Submitted by Brian Lang a Cross Country Rider from Roanoke, VA USA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2002

Strengths:    Light, climbs very well, works OK on bumps for such a good climber.

Weaknesses:    Original shock. Rear end flex under braking, which must be acceptable since I haven't bothered to install a brake brace in 6 years of riding it. Rear deraileur hanger isn't replaceable but when mine broke (due to a broken spoke) I had it welded easily--any place that welds aluminum could probably fix yours in no time. Suspension isn't exactly plush with only 2.75 inches of rear travel but I don't consider this a real weakness, especially since it clims so well.

Bottom Line:
Ditch the original shock, replace it with a Risse, and you've got a great climber with an acceptable cross-country ride. NOT a plush downhill bike but climbs so much better than the long-travel "freeride" bikes that you won't mind the bumps. If you're considering buying a used bike with a B-3 rearend for cross-country use, I would highly recommend it. Could be a great way to get a low-cost, lightweight alternative to the Sugars that are all the rage right now. Built up with XTR and Ti goodies, it weighs about 23 pounds even. A rear brake brace might be a good idea to reduce flex but I've ridden mine without one for six years. I'm prone to kidney pains on downhills and there are some downhills where my kidneys tell me I should replace this bike with something newer that has more rear travel but it's probably more of a problem with my kidneys than with this bike. I might have the same problem regardless of what I ride, and when I reach the next climb I decide it's not so bad.

Tips on rear bushing replacement: I have had this bike for six years, I replace the main pivot bushing about once a year for less than $10 (available directly from Amp--great customer service) and the other pivots are still OK. I've read that you need a hydraulic press to replace the bushings, but this is not true, at least for the main bushing and probably not for the others either. All you need is a drill bit that is slightly smaller than the outside diameter of the bushing. Loosen the pivot clamp bolts, set the drill bit on one end of the bushing, and pound it out with a hammer. Use the same technique to drive a new bushing in. You may want to put a small chamfer on the leading edge of the hole, which can be done using a drill bit slightly larger than the hole and turning it by hand to "carve away" a small amount of aluminum. Don't use an electric drill or you might remove too much aluminum. Takes only a few mintutes from start to finish to replace the bushing. Absolutely no complaints whatsoever about the bushings.

Favorite Trail:   Carvins Cove

Purchased At:   Colorado Cyclist (but you can only get them used now)

Similar Products Used:   Have ridden various full-suspension bikes. Many have a smoother ride over rough terrain but you definitely give up climbing qulaities to get it, which is not a worthwhile compromise to me. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains where normal rides involve lots of climbing, as well as plenty of rough descents, and this bike is well-suited to it.

Bike Setup:   1996 Litespeed Obed FS with Amp B-3 rear triangle.

Submitted by Rodney Crowe a Racer from Norman, OK

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1999

Strengths:
Light weight, easy to maintenance, handles above average. Just the right amount of travel for X-country

Weaknesses:
Need bushing press to do any home repair.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike almost as much as my race hardtail. (Full XTR/SID Dean Colonel). I bought used from a friend cheap built it up with xt components w/ xtr rear der. Put my sun-ringle rpm wheels on it, and ride the s*&t out of it. When I am racing on it I put the risse genesis shock on. when i go for long all day rides i put the original back on.
(weight is 24.2 pds) . The only thing I didn't like was the low front end feeling, but i fixed that with a riser bar.

Post Road Trail

Specialized FSR-XC, Y-11, Fisher Joshua Z0

'96 Amp B-3 with full XT and XTR read der. '98 Judy SL, Sun-Ringle' RPM wheels, specialzed dirt control and master tires. I also own both the original amp shock and a Risse Genesis.

Submitted by Santo Raffo a Weekend Warrior from t.o Canada

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1999

Strengths:
Fundimentaly the suspention design
works well, it makes sense, thats why i
bought it

Weaknesses:
brought the bike home ,my neibor who
has been a welder for 10 years told
me shit welding on the bike,blew oil out
shocks first ride,2 weeks later pivot replacement on fork and rear triangle,
After repeated rear and front shock rebiulds,i took the bike to a machine
shop to see what i could do ,they told
me it was poorly designed . so i was left
to look for an after market unit

Bottom Line:
This bike proved to be so inconsistant and unreliable the terrain on the trail was more
predictable. There is a saying to all people who provide servises
YOU CAN RIP THE CUSTOMER,CLIENT, OFF, BUT NOT THEIR FRIENDS,AND FRIENDS
CAN BE THE BIGGEST CRITICS,
The shame this company has brought me,after spending good money.

north shore

3 years ago sling shot, pro flex,
should of bought san andreas

XTR-XT

Submitted by Dave a Cross-Country Rider from Bellingham, WA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 1999

Strengths:
I really like this frame. My brother, a downhiller, gave it to me in 96 after he had bent the frame and broke the fork. I really like this frame but I think I am going to buy a different one because the rear shock is the biggest piece of shit I have ever seen (and I want a little more rear travel). I will either do that or get one of those Risse shocks everyones has been talking about. I would recommend this frame, but I would throw away the original fork and shock. I gave this bike four chilis considering that it would be paired with different suspension components. I would give it a two or three with stock shock and fork.(Keep in mind that my AMP is a 94 so they could have improved it a lot since then.)

Bottom Line:
Good frame for cross-country, although I would'nt take it on any burly downhill trails.

Submitted by Jay Keres a weekend warrior from Omaha, NE

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've riden a Mongoose Amplifier 'the original' for 3 years now. I broke my drop-out off yesterday while shifting on a flat surface. That's spooky! I opted to upgrade to the B-5 for a nominal amount. I hope all the whoa's about the rear suspension don't hit me. The B3 never had any technical difficulties in the rear,no flex, no leaks, no blow-outs, no shit... It did tend to pogo though. As compared to the latest suspension it was truly average.

Submitted by Grisha Strasnij a cross-country rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Very nice for cross-country. But oil from rear shock get out from first 200-300
km. I replace oil to elastomer - OK, and rear shock will work more quickly.
It nice to ride forest and very bad country road in Russian.
After 2000 km front triangle is break :-( in forest road speed ~35 km/hour.
In Russian no AMP servise, and only
for 400$ USA (all NEW AMP frame 1100$ in RUSSIA) Russian Aviation Institute
make me NEW TITANIUM triangle. Weigth frame and rear shock will down from 2.0 kg to 1.85 kg. New triangle is very nice. Dynamik charasteristics is up.

Submitted by Laughing Boy a cross-country rider from RO, MI

Date Reviewed: October 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

Those of you complaining about the rear shock:
LIVE WITH IT. If you keep if maintained, change the oil and perhaps get a nice progressive spring (half hard/half soft) it'll hand the small stuff as well as the big hits. If you don't know how, email me. Just by adjusting the shock position, you can change the whole geomotry of the bike too!
I love my bike. It's 24.4 lbs with all XT and stuff. It climbs oh so well.
I broke the AMP fork but that wasn't bad, I just got a Judy SL. It can turn on the head of a pin. It's oh so stiff, the rear triangle has flex, but Once you get a stiffener, say goodbye to flex. It climbs perfectly. It's Light. it's a great XC Racer. Downhill is kinda harsh, but I can still hit 40 so I don't mind.
Strong frame.
Four stars, because if you get it stock, it's just mediocre, but once it's all hopped up, You got a winnerIf ANYONE has a 16 B-3 frame in good condition they want to get rid of, EMAIL ME!!!!!! I want a spare frame in case I break this one.
I still remember when Mongoose put all their downhillers on this frame.
AMP is reintroducing this frame also. Check out their web site

Submitted by Martin Szinovatz a cross-country rider from Vienna Austria/Europe

Date Reviewed: September 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I use my AMP B3 since 1 year. I love it, but now, I changed the rear shock to a Risse and now the AMP B3 is for me one of the best bikes. The original rear shock is a bad joke, the price of the B3 here in Austria is ~ 2.500 USD. To much for a bad rearshock. I recommend every B3 owner: change to a risse damper!
And for those, the need a Downhillbike and not a good XC, changed the bike!

Submitted by James a cross-country rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is an initial review after one ride. Man does that Amp rear shock SUCK! It's an insult to think it would actually work. It's a shame because the bike has a lot of potential. At low speed the shock works ok, but at singletrack speeds and up it's a joke. That Amp would sell such a piece of junk is an insult. This sucker is put together like a screen door damper...it's a joke.
The bike itself it nice. Some of the workmanship is kinda lame, good ideas, poor execution. I planned on getting a Risse for it, so the rear shock problem doesn't really matter. Handling is quick, rear flex is there, but not a significant amount, I think it get's blown way out of proportion. It's definitely not a downhill bike, but it climbs well and is well suited for XC work, once you get a decent shock that it. I've got a Bomber on the front and it makes the Amp rear shock feel like junk. Can't wait for the Risse.

Submitted by Billy Bob a cross-country rider from Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I found this bike to look extreremely KYFE, and although the ride was nice, I was embarased to ride it! My friends thought I was dumb or something?~ It's an ok ride as long as you don't care it you look stupid.
Blah! Bye!

Submitted by Greg Beeler a weekend warrior from Great Falls, MT

Date Reviewed: July 2, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well the Risse Genesis shock I ordered arrived and it is make the B-3 ride like a dream!!!! I would recommend this upgrade to anyone owning a B-3!!! The ride is uncomparable to the original shock. I am 6'-2 and 220# and would recommend the B-3 to anybody, as long as they also purchase a Risse Genesis along with it! I believe that Amp should dump their current shock and run these instead. It would probably increase their sales!!

Submitted by Greg Beeler a weekend warrior from Great Falls, MT

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have only ridden my 97 Amp B-3 one time since I received the frame last week and I am extremly impressed with its climbing ability!! Granted, I used to own a Schwinn S-20 full suspension which had been upgraded to XT components and a Judy DH and it was heavy but, this Amp motors all over the Schwinn!!! I have to admit though that the rear shock is a piece of sh** and would have been better left off the frame. The rear shock clunks and makes all kinds of noises that would be unacceptable by anyone elses standards. I ordered a Risse Genesis to correct the problem. I sure hope it does the trick. All in all the B-3 is an acceptable ride for those of us who still ride bikes 3-4 times a week on single track with an occasional day at the ski hill. I would recommend this frame to anyone, as long as they find a decent rear shock to go with it.If the Genesis improves the ride as well as illiminating the clunking chicken sound I will upgrade my rating to 4 stars.

Looking for a mongoose Amplifier / Amp B3 bike

Looking for a mongoose Amplifier B3 full bike. Any tips on where to find one are really well appreciated. :) pm me or email me hjalti.parelius(-a-)gmail.comRead More »