American Eagle Durango Bike 1998 or Older

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

American Eagle Durango

Submitted by Paulo from Coimbra, Portugal

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2005

Strengths:    Very light, very durable, very reliable, very well designed - a racing bike

Weaknesses:    The brakes are noisy

Bottom Line:
I have this bike for ages (about 7 or 8 years) and it still kicks ass. Recently I bought a Trek 9.8 and this one passed to my dad, but I still ride it every now and then. Now I regret having bought the Trek, I should have done some upgrades or updates to this one because I like it better...

Similar Products Used:   To tell the truth, no other bike suits me like that one.

Bike Setup:   Seatpost, stem, bar and crankset - Ritchey Comp Light
Wheels - Spinergy Rev-Rox
Fork - RockShox Judy XC
Brakes - Shimano XT
Sram 9.0 Carbon / Sram 9.0

Submitted by tate owen a Cross Country Rider from santa barbara

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2002

Strengths:    Light, quick, durable

Weaknesses:    short frame turns on a dime, quick turning can make it a bit squirrelly on downhills though

Bottom Line:
very nice bike, versitile, uphill, downhill, jumps..
its been two and a half years now and there's no sign of cracks or anything in the frame. The Magura hydrolic rim brakes have been good to me too, had to replace a brake line for the first time, took like 4 hours to bleed them properly, but that was mostly cause I'd never done it.

Purchased At:   aardvarckcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   diamondback apex,

Bike Setup:   Manitou SX Ti shock. Easton 7005 aluminun frame. Magura Raceline 33 brakes. Race Face cranks/rings. SRAM 9.0 shifter/derailluer. XT/Mavic 517 wheelset.

Submitted by Stuart Vrieze a Cross-Country Rider from Rochester, MN

Date Reviewed: October 20, 1999

Strengths:
Great lightweight frame. Good looking paint job. Great component set. Good brakes.

Weaknesses:
Don't like the seatpost clamp. Big deal, who cares.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike as a 98 model closeout. It retails for $2000, and I got it for $850, so you can see why I say great components for the money. I just couldn't get this quality for a better price anywhere I looked. The brakes will stop you on a dime, and the RaceFace cranks are so strong and smooth. I am used to rapid fire shifters, but I am getting familiar with the gripshift, and like it more everyday. I just came back from my first cross country ride, and all I can say is wow, great ride. I can climb better, accelerate faster, and corner faster than I ever could on my Giant. It has only been one ride, but thumbs up all around for this bike, I can see why American Eagle racers do there fair share of winning, last I read, their team was 9th in the world in XC out of the 40+ teams out there, and they ride this bike. 5 flaming chillies.

less than 1 month