American Eagle Death Valley Bike Bike 1998 or Older

4.85/5 (13 Reviews)

American Eagle Death Valley Bike

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2005

Strengths:    Superb frame, used since 1996. Great riding position & steering

Weaknesses:    In 1996, it had cantilever brakes!! No others

Bottom Line:
The upgrades were necessary as technology evolves but the basis is rock solid. Every specialised MTB shop that has seen this bike says the upgrades are more than worthwhile. Contemplating buying something completely new but because this bike has a superb frame and the upgrades have bought it up to todays standard, I still get a kick out of riding it, so it stays for a while!

Favorite Trail:   Drunense Duinen

Purchased At:   Tom Walenkamp Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Ridden Cannondale, Bianchi, Giant Cadex.

Bike Setup:   Many mods,such as: Shimano V-brakes, Marzocchi Bomber Atom front shox, Fizick GOBI sadle, Specialised Fast Track Pro tyres.

Submitted by Robert Bal a Racer from Lelystad

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    Light Weigt
Rigid
Agressive steering

Weaknesses:    None; probably the painting but that's my doining I believe.

Bottom Line:
Fast agressive bike.
Still convinced I need a new one but when I ride it there is no reason for it besides the damage to the painting.
Superb bike for heavy duty.

Looking for my son for a AE Vail-S.

Favorite Trail:   Hellendoorn

Purchased At:   Bik & Hike Center Steenwijk

Similar Products Used:   Giant Alu :-(

Bike Setup:   Shimano; replaced some parts but always orgional Ritchey.

Submitted by Matt Boddey a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2001

Strengths:    Weight,
looks,
colour,
components,
bikes background.

Weaknesses:    haven`t found any yet.

Bottom Line:
Great bike which was used by the British team and as been well mantained and looked after. look out for pictures coming soon on this site. This bike woundn`t look out of place on the world cup rounds and wood suit any XC rider.

Purchased At:   Pearce cycles

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F2000

Bike Setup:   The bike isn`t a Death Valley its a concorde but looking at the spec it sounds about the same.
Alum frame,
XT/ESP 9.0 groupset,
Mavic Crossmax disc wheels,
Hope Discs,
Easton, X-lite, Cane Creek, Italia, Ritchey.

Submitted by Jamie Timm a Cross Country Rider from Provo, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2001

Strengths:    The price/performance of this bike is awesome; the frame has taken a beating and still no problems. Components are great, shocks great. Just a really good all-around bike

Weaknesses:    I bent my handle bars in a crash, which is pretty much my fault. Maybe a better saddle....

Bottom Line:
I love this bike! It's not the most expensive, or flashiest, it's just fun to ride, can take a beating, and has personality. Even if people haven't heard of it I'm still a proud owner.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Aardvarkcycles.com

Bike Setup:   Everything stock except for Kore handle bars

Submitted by Keith a Cross Country Rider from Nashville,TN- Yee Haw!

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2000

Strengths:    Strong Frame, good components and ability to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
I submitted a review several months back when I had just started to ride the AE-DV. I have spent the entire summer on this bike logging 60-120 miles a week on it. I just wanted to report on its status after a long summer of riding. This bike Rocks! I have had no problems with this bike frame. I have tortured it too. I am 6'4" 230lbs and I rode it hard( is there any other way?)I did make some upgrades in components, especially tires and brakes. I also got a Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post which makes this bike even faster in the bumps. The only technical problems I had with the bike was a loose bottom bracket and a recurring loose spoke on the rear rim. Not bad for a hard summer. All in all I give this bike the full amount of flaming doo-doo.

Bike Setup:   same as before except XTR brakes,Thudbuster SEatpost and IRC mythos XC tires.

Submitted by Beau a Weekend Warrior from Orem, Utah, U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2000

Strengths:    Brakes, shifting, and shocks

Weaknesses:    none as of yet

Bottom Line:
An awesome bike, on for all. A good bike for weekend warriors. Has very good components for its price. The shocks are very good and the brakes are perfect.The frame is double-butted and weighs only about 25 lbs. It has Richtey tires: Alpha and Omega, the best I think.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Canyon Trail

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by Keith Boden a Weekend Warrior from Nashville,TN,USA

Date Reviewed: February 29, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, nimble, very responsive in tight singletrack.

Weaknesses:    Short wheelbase which takes a little getting used to for tall riders. Only other weakness is wheel clearance at the front shock in muddy conditions if you ride anything over a 2.1. It tends to get clogged up. Handle bars could be a little narrower for woods riding.

Bottom Line:
I haven't seen an American review of this bike, so I thought I would throw one in. I purchased the American Eagle Death Valley over the internet because I got a great deal on it. I formerly rode a TREK 970 singletrack that finally gave up the fight. I had never owned an aluminum bike and wasn't sure what to expect. The AE Death Valley surpassed my expectations. In Tennessee there is lots of tight singletrack with plenty of roots and rocks to navigate. The Death Valley is at home in the woods and goes where you point it. It has a nice stiff ride but doesn't bounce you all over the trail. While it is not a top of the line bike, I would say it is an entry level racer. It is a good bike for riders who want to step up to the next level but can't afford a real trick bike. Fortunately it is easy to upgrade to get more performance out of it.

Favorite Trail:   Percy Warner red Trail (now closed to bikers)

Similar Products Used:   specialized M2

Bike Setup:   Manitou spyder R front shock, SRAM ESP 7.0 Gripshifters, Diatech V-Brakes,Kore Stem,Ritchey Headset Ritchey Comp Pedals, Mavic 222 wheels, Ritchey WCS Z-Max Tires.

Submitted by Richard Frizel a cross-country rider from Australia and I love Terry

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

I own a GT LTS 2000ds and this bike rules and so does a trek Y-3 the AEDV is way better than the Gary Fisher Josh X1 that bounces worse than a pogostick on heat but the trek Y-3 is so much better than all these bikes with its sporty cool red paint job

Submitted by Jeroen van Assen a cross-country rider from The netherlands

Date Reviewed: May 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

Aangezien alle commentaren over de Death valley toch door nederlanders geschreven zijn zal ik mijn mening maar in het Nederlands vertellen.
Fantastische fiets,vooral zijn gewicht heeft hij mee. Ik heb namelijk een Death valley van 97, de Death valley van 98 is namelijk achteruit gegaan. De voorvering hadden ze weg moeten laten (te zwaar) en de afmontage met die rare nieuwe dingen van sachs is ook niet veel soeps. Maar gelukkig heb ik die van 97 en daar heb ik niets dan lof over. Licht, mooi, degelijk, goed afgemonteerd (LX). Echte kwaliteit voor een redelijke prijs(f2000,-).

Submitted by HeliX a racer

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1997

Bottom Line:

Light, stiff, fast, good looking, no comfort: Rulez

Submitted by Peter Rombouts a cross-country rider from The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: February 16, 1997

Bottom Line:

My first bike was an American Eagle Vail '95, and it was a very good
starters bike.
My new bike is an Death Valley, and it's great!
I also had a Trek, but it's not the same.
I'll stick to American Eagle for the rest of the time

Submitted by Leo Langeveld a cross-country rider from Enschede, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1996

Bottom Line:

I bought the same bike and couldn't agree more. It is light, sharp, solid and really great. I put a Rond WP front suspension on it and it couldn't drive better. What more can I say? It's already said. For info on American Eagle or front suspension in Europe : Veltec@iaehv.nl for info.

Submitted by Jeroen Kruisweg a weekend warrior from Holland

Date Reviewed: August 20, 1996

Bottom Line:

This review is about my American Eagle Death Valley. American Eagle is the MTB
range of Concorde (the road bike manufacturer) and since the olympic XC gold
medal winner rides it I guess it is time the brand appears in MTBR. My Death
Valley is an aluminium bike with fairly slim tubes, LX brakes, hubs and gear,
Gripshift 800 and all other components are my favorite Ritchey Force Lite
(saddle, brake levers, ahead set, steer, rims, spokes just basically everything).
It weighs (!!) 9.9 kilos. The bike is very very rigid even though the tubes
are not too fat. It steers very sharply, the geometry is very sports orientated
and if you're a cruiser basically don't buy it you will not like the bike it's
just not comfortable. BUT... if you like the woods this bike absolutely should be
on your shopping list you have to ride it and experience the fun of having a
bike in the price range of a Marin Rocky Ridge, Trek 8000, GT Avalanche but just
1 kilo less weight and far better components. Just performance at top level. Try
it you will love it.