Airborne Zeppelin Bike 1998 or Older

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Airborne Zeppelin

Submitted by Don Sinyard a Racer from Waynesville, NC

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2001

Strengths:    VALUE!!!!!!!!; Very compliant ride while being quite laterally stiff for climbing and sprinting

Weaknesses:    I quite often get front end shimmy on fast descents. Possibly due to Profile carbon fork matched to Rolf Vectors.

Bottom Line:
I'm very well pleased with this bike! As stated above, the only gripe I have is front end shimmy on fast descents on rougher pavement. The shimmy disappeared when I put on a set of Mavic Classic Pros(standard wheelset), so I attribute the shimmy to matching the Rolfs up with the Profile fork. Everything was set up perfectly upon delivery except the wheels were just a touch out of dish but easily corrected. I'm really amazed at the ride quality! At 180 lbs. I'm no lite weight climber , but I do love climbing(you'd better if you live here in Western NC!). On really hard efforts, I don't get any deraileur/chain rub and can't even get the wheels to noticably flex... impressive.
I would definitely recommend this bike to anyone, budget conscious or not!

Favorite Trail:   Tsali, Black Mountain(Pisgah), BUMP trail in B,ham, Al.

Purchased At:   Blue Ridge Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed Ocoee MTB(only Ti bike), Schwinn Paramount(the real thing, not production model), Basso GAP

Bike Setup:   Full Ultegra, Rolf Vectors, Flite Ti saddle, Thompson post

Submitted by Christopher Davis a Racer from Evergreen, Colorado

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2000

Strengths:    The ride quality is excellent, this coming from a sprinter. I feel the ride is forgiving without too much flex. This is due to the tubing being thicker than most other ti-frames. I found the value can not be matched anywhere in the market place.

Weaknesses:    The service at Airborne-Direct. I am still waiting on a twenty-five reinbursement for a tune-up. There have been times I have called and have been in a holding pattern for hours.. They should call themselved United for they resemble the terrible service that this airline provides

Bottom Line:
I like their products so much I purchased a Corsair frame and have built it to be a 21-lbs racing bike. The management at Airborne-direct should feel ashamed of themselves for their piss poor customer service. How hard is it to return a email or just send my the reinbursement. They are grossly understaffed and if your willing to put up with this then go ahead and buy an Airborne.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Airborne.direct

Similar Products Used:   Litespeed and Titec

Bike Setup:   Ultegra groupo: Spinergy Rev-X wheels, King headset, Conti tires,

Submitted by Jacob Tung a Racer from Austin, Texas

Date Reviewed: December 27, 1999

Strengths:
customer service
light weight
strong
stiff chainstays
nice ride

Weaknesses:
took a while for them to get the bike to me

Bottom Line:
i absolutely love this bike. i used to race on a crappy peugeot touring bike, so maybe i'm a little easy to impress. still, this is one damn good bike.first of all, it's light! the setup i got (for $1612) only weighs 18.5 pounds.the chainstays are really stiff. when i hammer down, i can feel the bike accelerate instantly. and it climbs like it's not even there.the frame is beautiful. my main concern was the quality of the welds. they were the first thing i looked at when the bike arrived. as far as i can tell, they're just fine. the welds are neat, and i can't find any discolorations. the frame is true as far as i can tell. the brushed metal finish is a nice touch.the ride is really forgiving. there are some roads here in austin that used to really give me a beating on my old bike. now they just flow by like butter.the frame is tough, too. i actually raced the bike in a cyclocross race a few weeks ago (curbs, lawns, tree roots, one crash), and it held up just fine.the steering is also really responsive: ijust point and shoot. at the same time, the bike is really stable for long rides.before, i'd always get dropped right away in a race (collegiate, men's c (cat 4-5)). a good race for me was to finish anywhere in the top half of the field. the first race i rode on the airborne was a crit, and i finished in fourth place without really exerting myself at all. since then it's only been uphill. i've yet to finish lower than fourth on this bike. i'd like to think that i've improved as a racer, but the credit really goes to the bike.my only complaint is that it took a long time for them to get the bike to me. i called them up twice to inquire about the hold-up. the first time they mentioned something about not being able to get the right tires; i originally ordered the bike with some crappy tires, intending to replace them with some good ones i already had. the second time i called, the person i talked to said that the tires still weren't in, so they just slapped a pair of axial pros on it for free. that more than made up for the delay.i know that other ti frame makers like merlin and litespeed easily beat out airborne in terms of quality and craftmanship, but for $1600, i got a pretty damn good deal. there really isn't anything negative i can say about the bike. and the customer service made up for the delay. i'd recommend this bike (and titanium in general) to anyone.

6 months

icon stem & seatpost
selle italia flite saddle

Submitted by SteveS a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
Stiff but resilient, climbs great, smooth riding, good looking with a great looking rear triangle, cost/benefit ratio the best on the market backed by Airborne's great customer service

Weaknesses:
Doesn't cost enough to be considered high end titanium.

Bottom Line:
A bike that rides like steel but even smoother than my favorite Olmo (a truly great bike), that can climb as well as my Trek 5500, but doesn't flex, yet still has road feel for $699 (frame only) is a steal. The oversized tubes work and the rear triangle is a work of art comparable to any high end. This bike is another home run for Airborne, believe it.

3 months

Italian steel, aluminum, carbon fiber composite, OCLV, and short rides on high end titanium bikes

Dura Ace and Ultegra combination, American Classic/Ultegra wheels with Campagnolo rims, Look LDS Pro fork

Marauder/Zeppelin chain guide

[B][U][/U][/B]Guys, and Marauder riders...I'm looking for a chainguide that doesnt interfere with the swing arm pivot on the Marauder/Zeppelin. I have been running an E13 SRS for years, but once you try to clock it to the correct position it hits the pivot and keeps me from getting the correct tensi ... Read More »

Zeppelin Elite geometry

Hello, I used to look this up on the Airborne website each time I needed it but the page for the Zepp Elite got taken down. Does anyone have the geometry measurements of the Zeppelin Elite frame, specifically the 21" size, handy? I'd like to know the measurements for when I ride other bikes an ... Read More »

Zeppelin Elite Shock Specs

Hello MTBR, I'm looking into buying a new rear shock for my Zeppelin Elite. I am planning on buying a Fox RP23 from eBay and I've noticed that there are several options available in terms of compression as well as rebound tune. The ones I'm looking at right now have low rebound, medium compressio ... Read More »

Fork/Shock Upgrade for Zeppelin Elite

Hello Fellow Airborne Riders, I'm looking to upgrade my shock and fork on my Zeppelin Elite. I'd like to spend between 2-350 on the fork and maybe 1-150 on the shock. Buying used is definitely an option, but I don't know much about shock maintenance and what I would need to look out for in ... Read More »

Can't remove fork - Zeppelin Elite

Hey, I've been having problems removing the RS Tora fork on my Zeppelin Elite. I removed the steerer top cap, and took the stem and spacers off the steerer. However, the fork won't come out of the head tube. I've tried pushing with force and lifting it off the ground, it won't budge. It seems lik ... Read More »