White Brothers Magic-29 2006 Front Shocks

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

The Magic fork line offers White Brothers’ cutting edge Intelligent Magnetic Valve “IMV” damping technology in our super stiff, lightweight 32mm platform. Just set the IMV damper where you want it and sprint or climb without bob and float over washboard bumps or big drops with full active travel. All Magic forks have true open bath damping and oil bath lubrication to give you buttery smooth performance. Whether you need a World Cup quality cross country race fork or the highest quality, best performing 29” fork on the market—its Magic.
  • Magic-29 80 (80mm travel, black)
  • Magic-29 100 (100mm travel, black)
  • Adjustments- Threshold, Rebound, Air Pressure
  • Linear Air Spring
  • Available with QR or 20mm

Submitted by Troy Williams a Cross Country Rider from Scottsdale, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff

Weaknesses:    I found it hard to tune, and I'm still messing with it. My IMV was broken when I got it, and it spent 2 weeks with White Bros and the Bike shop over the holidays, big bummer.

Bottom Line:
I'm really not a huge fan of this fork. I find it to be very finicky and hard to tune just the way I want it. I've removed air, adjusted the IMV, dialed the rebound, gone through each individually and it still feels rougher than I would expect. I like the weight and the stiffness, but might opt to save money and go Reba next go around.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   Slippery Pig

Similar Products Used:   Reba SL

Bike Setup:   Lenz Lev 29r 3", with XO, Deus Cranks, The Flight System, Delgado Rims, Bontrager 2.2 tires, WTB Lazer, King Headset and Hubs, Salsa Skewers

Submitted by Shawn from Oklahoma city

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    stiff, strong, soaks up small bumps better than any fork I have owned

Weaknesses:    Seal on the IMV side leaks a little. WB sent me a replacement, but it still leaks a bit. No worries though.

Bottom Line:
This fork might be a little pricey, but well worth my money. I have never had a fork that worked better, besides the leak.

Similar Products Used:   rock shox, Fox

Bike Setup:   Surly Karate Monkey, Sram XO, Salsa Rims, Maxxis ingitors, thomson stem, post, king headset

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley, CA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth and stiff. What More can I say, other than at 190 lbs, there is no noodle factor with this fork, but then again, I rarely drop more than 3'

Weaknesses:    Sometimes, the platform valve can stutter a little when opening while riding over small bumps. This is never an issue though when I really want the fork to soak up real bumps. And the stutter is much less than any other platform forks that I have tried.

Bottom Line:
This fork is great. It is smooth and stiff, much like my old bomber that I loved for many years. I am a smooth rider and never really had much bob with non-platform forks, but this fork has even less bob, especially when standing and mashing the gears. Even though I can sometimes feel a little stutter over mini bumps as the platform is deciding whether to open or not, it is still incredibly smooth. Overall an incredible fork that I would buy again.

Favorite Trail:   Joaquin Miller Park

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   I have an old marzocchi z2 x-fly and that was a great fork that continues to be smoother than some other new 26" forks I have tried from rock shok like the reba.

Bike Setup:   2006 asylum with sram xo, FSA, custom wheels

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Super smooth travel
Very stiff and responsive
IMV is GREAT! You can tune it to be like a Terralogic, or all the way off (like before SPV), or anywhere inbetween, to fit your riding style.

Rebound adjustment is quick and easy

The air spring is more linear than most, but doesnt' bottom out harshly like many linear coil springs.

Weaknesses:    None found yet

Bottom Line:
It's expensive, but I feel it is a significantly better fork than the Reba, and I feel that it is worth the extra expense for a better ride.

If you're a casual rider, or have a smaller budget and are willing to sacrifice ride quality, the Reba is a good second choice.

Purchased At:   Erik's Bike Shop