RST Gila-SL 2006 Front Shocks

• Stanchion: 28.6mm Ti-color steel
  • Travel: 80,100mm

Submitted by maddog mikey

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2013

Strengths:    perfect for the new comer to the sport of mountain biking. true travel 30mm to 100mm. Can come with mechanical lock out which works fine.

Weaknesses:    I can not find any weaknesses

Bottom Line:
These forks are not that bad to be honest. the mechanical lock out system works fine if fitted with one, The travel in the forks are true and the adjuster does work fine. ok for budget forks they are very good and for the new comer to the sport these are more than perfect to do the job.

Submitted by bryang a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2012

Strengths:    Low-maintenance, consistent, heavier spring rate for big dudes, has both V and Disc mounts. Better than "Element" brand and similar crap at the same price point.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, no rebound adjustment to speak of (pogo stick), says "RST" on the side.

Bottom Line:
It is what it is I guess, an OEM boinger generally fitted on $300 bikes. Can't fairly compare it to ANY aftermarket piece, or downhill bomber, 'cause it just ain't in that league. What it does do quite well is to swap out on an old backup/beater/loaner/mudbike/SSmongrel type bike. You know the type-when yer exotic trailbike is down for service (yet again...) or when you just want to ride the knock-around machine. This fork fits the bill quite well, with zero maintenance, and a stiff spring rate for big guys. Ride quality ain't great, but it's fairly consistent and I've never bottomed it out.

Favorite Trail:   Tsali

Duration Product Used:   3 + years

Purchased At:   oem

Similar Products Used:   Many RS, Manitou, Marzocchi, Pace, Rigid, etc....

Bike Setup:   Hardtail SS with BMX cranks, bulletproof/zero maintenance everything...

Submitted by cassava a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2012

Strengths:    quite good

Weaknesses:    the preload doesn't work

Bottom Line:
I use this fork for about a month with 90% on road and 10% light off road riding. I'm not using it for dirt jump or downhill course. I ride on normal trail course or some kind like that but mostly on road. So far it's better than my older fork, Zoom 550, which has been broken out. It's quite good fork but I don't know about its durability and resistance since I'm just using it. I hope that it will be good for about next 3 years.

Favorite Trail:   JPG

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   -

Bike Setup:   Wimcycle C-One

Submitted by ElAbuelo a Weekend Warrior from Caracas, Venezuela

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2011

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Everything!

Bottom Line:
This was the worst thing that happened to my bike and me... Only Like 30mm travel of the advertised 100, weights a ton, Super Stiff and the adjusters does not adjust a thing. Avoid this crap!!!

Similar Products Used:   Marzzocchi Bomber, Sr Suntour

Bike Setup:   Merida MATTS 40D, Avid Elixir Disc Brakes, Shimano Deore Drivetrain

Submitted by Bikachu a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2011

Strengths:    Fork can be blocked, mount for disc brakes

Weaknesses:    There's no real absorbing. When I sit on the bike the just go lower.

Bottom Line:
This is my first MTB with front shocks. I did ride some hooger boogers, scots and cannondales thoug
In general,I'm a bit
disappointed with those Gilla SL's. The only good thing about them is, that they come with a button that turns off the shocks. I weight around 100kg and when the shocks are on, they just lower for about 5 cm. I can't even jump over the curbs with those shocks... Maybe they would work for someone that weights less, but for my 100kg they are meaningless.
They are on my bike that was like 200 euros second hand but mint condition. Now I'm aware that for that amount of money
they can be only as decoration.

Favorite Trail:   Radovna

Purchased At:   second hand

Bike Setup:   sram x7 shifters and deraileurs, Truvative crankshaft, kona pedals

Submitted by ABBACABB a Cross Country Rider from Birdsboro, Pa., United States

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2011

Strengths:    The RST GILA had no real strenghs, the only thing it was good for was adding weight to my bike. I'll stay clear of all RST Products from now on.

Weaknesses:    Weaknesses? EVERYTHING ! ! ! ! Where it performed it's worst was when Breaking. If you're a fan of POGO STICKS, then its the shock for you. twice over the Handle Bars folks. the RST GILA IS THE WORST SHOCK I'VE EVER USED.

Bottom Line:
in the end if i were gonna rate the RST GILA between 1-10 i'd give it a negitive -20. So if your goal is to add weight and remove performance, the RST GILA is the shock for you. If someone tries to sell ya a RST GILA just tell them " No Thanks, I Can Throw Myself Over My Handle Bars and I Wont Cost Me $300 Bucks" It was however one of the finest POGO Sticks I've ever used, but as a bicycle shock.............complete crap

Favorite Trail:   Blue Marsh

Purchased At:   Shirk's bike shop

Similar Products Used:   I replaced the P.O.S...i mean the RST GILA with the Rock Shox Dart3 same price but better performance and lighter weight

Bike Setup:   My Bike is a 1998 Trek 800 Mountain Track Series originally a rigid fork I added the RST GILA and boy was I sorry, it was like adding 9 pound folk that wouldn't perform.

Submitted by Shibby9 a Weekend Warrior from cary,il

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2011

Strengths:    No strengths

Weaknesses:    Everything.

Bottom Line:
this fork is no good. I really dont know much about bike components but i know one thing and that is this is a hunk of junk. 100mm thravel? i think not. you'd be better off with a rigid fork. Im dumping this P.O.S. and gettin a marzocchi dirt jumper 1 for about 250$.

Bike Setup:   2007 specialized hardrock sport disc

Submitted by excalibur1200 a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    Plush, great city fork, nice finish quality for the price, works with different steer tube sizes, pinch bolt clamps on steerer and crown...Hooray

Weaknesses:    Limited features, heavyish

Bottom Line:
RST haters beware, this fork is underrated, great for the money..Better than RC Dart 1 in my opinion. Great value basic fork with a nice quality finish, optional steer tubes from RST can work with 1" steer tube bikes with crappy Chinese pressed steel cheap forks - The only manufacturer I know of with this feature.. transformed a cheapie Walmart bike I owned into something much better!

Favorite Trail:   Markham

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Dart 1, Tora,

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by csmac2004 a Cross Country Rider from Kamloops, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2010

Strengths:    Durable, simple

Weaknesses:    Heavy, little to no adjustment

Bottom Line:
This is a cheap fork. I honestly haven't ridden with anything else (been a rigid guy forever) so I can't say with confidence that these suck or whatever. I can say, however, that I've often wondered if they actually are doing anything... ;)

On a positive note, I was 250 pounds when I started riding this spring (commuting to work and back 5 days a week). I am now down to 220 pounds, and ride this bike for 2 hours a day (1 hour each way) on some pretty awesome single-track and trails. The forks have over 2500 kilometers on them and have given me NO issues at all. Strong and durable.

But springy... And no rebound control... I can't wait 'till I try a better fork just to see what it's like to have suspension you can feel actually working... :D

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Spyder

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F8 (2010)

Submitted by Steelhead3686 a Weekend Warrior from Athens, OH

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, good quality

Weaknesses:    longevity, serviceability

Bottom Line:
Had these on my Treck 4300 for the first two years. They worked great for the most part. After winter I took my bike out and the shocks were ceased up. I took it to my local bike shop and they fixed it. However, when I was out in AZ for a few months I put my bike up again and there was no fixing them. All-in-all they're a good product for a stock bike or a casual rider. I put my bike through a lot of trail riding and aggressive town riding.

Favorite Trail:   Rockhouse Trail

Purchased At:   Athens Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Stock Treck 4300

Submitted by bclagge a Weekend Warrior from Boynton Beach, FL

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2010

Strengths:    Cheap, keeps the tire on the bike, makes a good paper weight, I've never been able to bottom them out and I weigh about 200 lbs.

Weaknesses:    I only get about 30mm out of the advertised 100mm. It feels like a pogo stick. Small bumps make it right through and rattle your teeth.

Bottom Line:
If it comes with your bike go ahead and use it. When you feel like spending money on your bike, make this the first thing you replace. It's a POS. It may as well be a rigid fork. At least a rigid fork would weigh less.

I upgraded to the Tora 318. It's a world of difference. It's like having cataracts and getting surgery. All of a sudden "I can SEE!!!!"

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Tora 318

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by bishopdante a Racer from Ladbroke Grove, London, UK

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2009

Strengths:    Holds front wheel onto frame. Switch on right hand fork goes from too soft to pretty bloody hard.

Weaknesses:    Bobs and squishes around, feels really soft. Very bad under braking. Feels knock-y when locked out, nothing like a rigid fork.

Bottom Line:
They feel really squishy and bouncy, they bob around when you pedal, and under braking it feels a bit like doing an endo. They're not exactly light (the bike is though, so the weight is definitely all at the front). They travel about an inch just getting onto the bike.

What have I got to say that's positive? They're good cornering on tarmac, they do suspension from side-to-side as well as up-and-down. Very soft.

But seriously, they're not that bad, I had these rock shox judy forks way back in the day, and they were nowhere near as nice as these. They had at best about 4mm of very boggy travel, but light as a feather. I used to jump off 10 foot walls to try to see them move. They didn't, I just bent up my rims.

Favorite Trail:   Hampstead Heath

Purchased At:   Whole bike

Similar Products Used:   Ridden quite a lot of bikes: Trek carbon racers, Haro Freestyler, GT full suspension carbon jobbie, fixie BMX brakeless, Strida etc etc.

Settled at the moment on a few lightweight mountain hardtails with very narrow slicks. Might make this one into a fixie with double crown rigid carbon forks... save a bunch of weight losing the sprockets, shifters, and suspension forks. After all, I've got a lot of travel in my arms!

Bike Setup:   Alloy hard-tail frame (pro-lite), Deore LX groupset.

Submitted by Dante666 a Cross Country Rider from Victoria

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2009

Strengths:    Good consistent performer, does everything it should decently, excellent lockout

Weaknesses:    Small bump sensitivity is horrible (though my rebound could be wrong), weight, easily scratched paint

Bottom Line:
Apart from the small bump sensitivity this fork does everything is it supposed to: provide decent travel for a XC bike. the components are fairly solid and work properly and it is a good good general purpose piece of equipment. It is hard to understand why people automatically label this product as junk simply because it cannot do something like downhill or free-ride which only an IDIOT could believe it was designed for. I advise to proceed over to the nearest bike shop and ask the owner to point out the Fox and Rockshox downhill section which is more in line with your needs

Favorite Trail:   Mt beauty

Purchased At:   Artavillas

Similar Products Used:   many cheaper shocks and a few high end forks like Rockshox Boxxers and Mazzarochi's

Bike Setup:   Apollo Ascent 08

Submitted by mojo a Weekend Warrior from cebu

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap FORK!!! I have been using this product for about a year... Good in trails street riding... 100mm travel not bad at all. I have a manitou for my 3rd bike works the same. Just the brand differs RST... sounds cheap.

Weaknesses:    They say it is not that solid... lockout don't work properly... But, for me it is good.. I just don't like the being know as low-end fork... Maybe for rich boys!!!

Bottom Line:
FORKS may vari with prices and brand.. But, the main point you wnjoy riding bike instead dispalying it on the PUBLIC... Not to offend guys... Bike are not fashion dress but, they are build to ride... God made mankind but, everything else is made in CHINA!!! RST is china same with other forks... Chow!

Favorite Trail:   tropical trails

Purchased At:   seperate item

Similar Products Used:   ROCKSHOX Dart 1, MANITOU AXEL comp, MANITOU STANCE and RST CAPA. XCR Suntour...

Bike Setup:   SPECIALIZED marathon hardtail.. 2.2 enduro tires shimano deore/lx 9 speed groupset...Just for trail riding...

Submitted by ChrisDK a Weekend Warrior from Copenhagen, Denmark

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2009

Strengths:    I've been using this fork for around 4 years. Once at -12 Celsius, it frooze, but at all other time it have never disappointed me.

Weaknesses:    Weight, Paint (after 4years and 6 crashes), Rebound adjustment.

Bottom Line:
It's my first real MTB, have been ionvolved in 6 larger crashes (in Denmark 'Europe', it's common that people use their bikes instead of car for community travel). Still it's firm, works, has 80-90 mm of travel, Lock-out works (no adjustments made ever) The rebound works allright. Travelling around 110 miles a week (20 miles off-road). It's the perfect beginner fork for using in the woods, "easy" 'european' nordic cup trails and also for tarmac. The cost is reasonable compared to the fork. (4 years still going strong)

Favorite Trail:   Any