RockShox Tora 302 2006 Front Shocks

Stiff 32mm tapered wall steel upper tubes mated to U-Turn or Solo Air make Tora the perfect choice for today’s high value All Mountain bikes.
Key Features:

-Stout new chassis design, travel up to 130mm
-Weight saving tapered wall 4130 steel upper tubes
-Disc specific or bossed lower leg options
-Forged 6061 hollow aluminum crown
-Solo Air and U-Turn coil spring options
-Motion Control Damping (318)
-Compatible with all PopLocs
-External rebound adjustment

Submitted by excalibur1200 a Weekend Warrior from Florida

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2011

Strengths:    stiffness. no twisting under loading, stable even on stoppies, low maintenance.

Weaknesses:    On the heavy side, long break in period.

Bottom Line:
Notchy at first but Plush once broken in which takes a while, no shimmying under load or at speed, torsionally stiff. great for the price

Favorite Trail:   Markham

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   RST Gila , Rock shox Dart 1

Bike Setup:   XC

Submitted by bike rider a Weekend Warrior from australia

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2009

Strengths:    good cheap fork quite soft

Weaknesses:    rebound not very effective lockouts stop working after a few months of not very much riding

Bottom Line:
alright fork does the job lockouts are a bit dodgy

Purchased At:   came on felt q920

Similar Products Used:   rst gila t4

Bike Setup:   sram x9 juicy 3 felt q920 08

Submitted by roguetrooper a Weekend Warrior from Wales

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    Bought for an absolute bargain!! 99 british pounds! It has been strong and reliable so far...

Weaknesses:    Abit crunchie when new...got smoother with use. oh, and abit heavy!

Bottom Line:
Bargain fork which takes all the knocks I throw at it! Read a few bad reviews but havent had any bad experiences.. There are better out there, but hard to beat on value!! Decent fork for those on a budget!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Brechfa, Wales

Purchased At:   Merlin cycles Englan

Similar Products Used:   Had dart 2 previously.

Bike Setup:   GT hardtail with Deore drive train... Tough do anything bike!!

Submitted by Diomedes a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, Florida, USA

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2008

Strengths:    Design of body is strong (heavy too, but strong). Relatively little flex, even at 130 mm. Put a good fork oil in it, and get the levels right, and it will be fairly plush.

The design is pretty universal, so parts from other forks can be used to fix this when it breaks. (and it probably will)

Weaknesses:    The internals are crap. Plastic, plastic everywhere. They break, too. I fixed the rebound damper three times (plastic piston slid down the shaft), and it broke again each time after only a short time in use.

Finally, I broke out the hacksaw, and cut a groove in the damper shaft, then safety-wired the piston so that it could not slide anymore. This effectively eliminated the ability to adjust the rebound, but that didn't really matter, since the adjuster knob fell off in the first few weeks of owning the fork.

Oh, and it leaks from the bottom of the damper leg. I've replaced the seals three times, and it still seeps oil. Not a lot, but it is FRUSTRATING.

The lockout is not very durable either-all plastic. It broke within 4 months of normal use. Found a motion control damper on eBay for $10 to replace it. A world of difference!

Bottom Line:
The lowers and stanchions on this fork are fairly burly, and I've never worried about them failing me. The internals are where SRAM cheaps out on this one.

I'd like to give it a higher rating, but the rebound damping (breaking and leaking) is a massive achille's heel of this fork, and is beyond the ability of most people to fix.(my fix is not even really a fix... just a stopgap measure until I can get another damper, or better yet, another fork and relegate this one to backup status) This means downtime and expense while a shop fixes it, or it gets sent off for warranty work. Not fun.

Granted, I may have gotten a lemon, but I don't consider it unreasonable to expect trouble-free service from a nearly $200 fork.

Would I buy it again?

Not unless I found a really smoking hot deal. Given the chance to do it over again, I'd spend my money on a used 2004-2006 Marzocchi AM1, or possibly a Recon- I hear that they are a bit better on the internals department.

Purchased At:   Elite Cycles

Similar Products Used:   None for any long period of time. I've worked on Darts and Judy forks though, and this is definitely better designed than they are.

Bike Setup:   Leader 526 frame, this fork, Sram x7 drivetrain, etc. Basically a 30 lb trail bike.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from Bunbury, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2008

Strengths:    Performed flawlessly for first six months.

Weaknesses:    Hasn't stopped Leaking oil from rebound adjustment since

Bottom Line:
If you had to ask me whether I would reccomend it, I would have to say no.

Sooner or later it will start leaking oil from around the Rebound knob. Once it does, you lose rebound and may as well be running a toy store fork. I took it to the LBS, they fixed it, and now less than 10kms later it is leaking again. I don't ride hard so have to put this down to a design flaw.

Favorite Trail:   Mt Lennard

Purchased At:   LBS as bike package

Similar Products Used:   none, previous fork on old bike was a RST capa

Bike Setup:   Stock 2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp.

Submitted by justinwug a Cross Country Rider from grandrapids, mi, usa

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2008

Strengths:    price,good for big roots and small drops, bad for any thing else

Weaknesses:    weight, lock out broke first week.

Bottom Line:
get a air fork...dont buy a 302 spring

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   reba, marzhui r1

Submitted by Mbirds a Weekend Warrior from Santa Rita, Guam, USA

Date Reviewed: April 19, 2008

Strengths:    Price, rebound damping, strength.

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the Tora 302 Solo Air. It is a tough fork, and very forgiving. This one came set up for 130mm, and I thought it was too much, but have made a couple of mistakes where the fork used full travel to save my a**. Another fork might have sent me over the bars. I added a lockout damper since I was using it for some races that had a pavement climb included. This fork seems easy to work on and I intend to perform my own service thanks to the excellent and readily available service guides. I may also use a spacer to reduce travel to 100mm because that is what my frame was designed for, and the front gets light on steep climbs. The only downside to the Tora is weight... solo air versions are about 4.8 lbs and the coil versions are like 5.3. For tis reason I am glad to have an air version, though adjustable travel would be nifty. I just don;t want any more weight on the front of the bike. I plan to replace this with a lighter Reba if it ever breaks, needs expensive maintenance, or I get drunk enough in front of the computer. Overall, for the current price the Tora is an outstanding value.

Favorite Trail:   Channel 10

Similar Products Used:   RS Pilot XC, Dart 3

Bike Setup:   2007 Giant Trance 3 frame, components from 2006 Reign, hence this fork

Submitted by Some guy LOL a Weekend Warrior from Forgot

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2007

Strengths:    it is good untill the spring hits u in the face

Weaknesses:    Well The Spring side of the forks blew out and hit me in the fac eleaving me with 50 stiches broken nose and bits of missing floating around

Bottom Line:
Get 1 if u want but Dont do anything that wil make ur forks blow up

Favorite Trail:   mount dandneongs

Purchased At:   GOld Cross

Similar Products Used:   A peice of wood

Bike Setup:   Cross Country

Submitted by Griffin a Downhiller from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2007

Strengths:    Good for a few weeks

Weaknesses:    breaks easily

Bottom Line:
i jumped a 6" curb and the spring came out with such force it stripped the threads and hit me in the collar bone.

Favorite Trail:   Heartbreak Ridge

Purchased At:   Belmont Wheel Works

Similar Products Used:   sr suntor crap

Bike Setup:   Rockhopper Comp Disk w/ bontrager gel seat

Submitted by Andrew Palliser from Leeds,Yorkshire,UK

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2007

Strengths:    Sucks up eveything,not too heavy and the rebound,compression and pressure really do make a difference (unlike my old dart 1's).

Weaknesses:    The poploc broke but that was my fault

Bottom Line:
This is a really nice pair of shocks as far as im concerned.It takes everything you throw at it as long as its all set up alright. And for the price I paid for it it was definately worth it.

Favorite Trail:   Meanwood Park

Purchased At:   Friend

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Dart 1's, some rigid carbon forks and some lovely forks on my old (and very dead) apollo excel

Bike Setup:   Giant XCR frame, Shimano STX groupset,DT Custom Wheels, Tektro IO brakes.

Submitted by Randy a Cross Country Rider from MOAB UT

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap

Weaknesses:    Cheap. Worked on this fork as a mechanic. Sold to customer, fork failed on first ride. Took apart fork to find that rebound assemble had moved down on the rebound shaft and was covering the rebound slot. On older forks this assemble was held buy a C-clip. On this fork the shaft was knurled and the parts are just pressed on. I repressed the parts on the shaft, fork worked again untill the first hard compession moved the rebound assemble back down the shaft. Put in a call to Rock Shox/sram and was given the same reponse as every time you call them, which was that they had never seen the problem before. Returned the fork, the rebound assemble and shaft was replaced, but they were unable to tell me why it had failed and/or why it wouldn't fail agian.

Bottom Line:
Rock Shox/Sram sells a well marketed, cheap products and has one of the worst service/warranty departments in the industry, which seems to get worse by the day. If you want a product that will hold up and you can trust, dont buy sram.

Favorite Trail:   Secret squirull

Purchased At:   Chile Pepper Bike SHop

Similar Products Used:   Worked on all brands of forks as a professional mechanic for the last 18 years.

Submitted by Ben a Weekend Warrior from England

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good, works extremely well, the U-turn travel settings is a great idea, great for an upgrade

Bottom Line:
A good fork for an upgrade, Quite cheap and affordable, I upgraded from some crappy RST's so i can really feel the differance when im out hitting the trails

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi mz or sumthing

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche Frame, Rockshox Toras, and some crap bits that came with my GT

Submitted by max penti a Weekend Warrior from bonita, CA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2007

Strengths:    Didn't break when I peeled off the 1.5 mil shipping tape.

Weaknesses:    design of air seals. After five or six rides the left air seal let go. In trying to refasten it, I discovered that the seal is grooved for screw insertion but the tube has no grooves. Don't see how the seal will EVER hold. I don't do jumps and the shock has not been mistreated. I don't overinflate the shock...probably underinflate a tad for my body weight: 183.

Bottom Line:
Shock came with bike. Love the bike...though with a great frame like this I kinda thought that the components would be a bit lighter. Ever tried to contact Rock Shox? Impossible. You have to go through the dealer. Some customer service! Even the IRS has a help line and a live voice on the other end. I guess Sram is just too busy churning out recycled aluminum can MTB components and banking their profits to care about the customers who mistakenly (never again) purchase their knock offs.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Laguna