RockShox Revelation 2006 Front Shocks

4.68/5 (31 Reviews)

Revelation offers a combination of light weight and stiffness at 130mm that is superior to all other standard dropout forks on the market today.
Key Features:

-Compatible with all PopLocs
-Aluminum control knobs

Submitted by Patrick Ramshead

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2013

Strengths:    tuneability, able to soak up everything

Weaknesses:    air pressure adjusting

Bottom Line:
I have been on XC race circuit long enough to know when to get out of it and get a bike to ride with a shock that'll handle soaking up horrible terrain. I got a Gary Fisher cake to start taking care of my own damaged body from racing a hardtail. The shock is quite pleasant to run on any terrain, most areas I raced on I went out on this to enjoy riding a bit more and enjoy a shock that will help me stop from getting beat to death, when you race you sacrifice a lot for weight and deal with the terrain, but with time and change in products I decided to get a pleasure ride and it is nice to see this shock is made to do the work for me,I find instead of hoping over or riding light over obstacles I let the bike steam right over chatter bumps etc. it's nice to have a shock that will just soak up the terrain and not leave me hurting with shoulders and wrists aching.I thought irt was a monster in weight but after riding it is a good weight for what the travel can do, I am use to a SID at 2.5 lbs but this little bit extra weight far exceeds the performance for weight sacrifice.LOVE THIS SHOCK!! a cadillac of shocks.

Submitted by Helmetless a Weekend Warrior from Santiago, Chile

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, tuneable settings, incredibly lightweight, reliable enough for trail riding

Weaknesses:    More travel. Ok, Rock Shox has a new 150mm Revelation but U-Turn mechanism does not work as well as in this fork. Maybe a bit linear but I like that!!

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork for the money. Really solid, not flexy as my '08 Fox F100RLC nor as progressive. Impressive and responsive enough to go as far as you can take it in XC/Trail tracks!!

Favorite Trail:   El Cardo, The Z, Seven Gates

Purchased At:   Intercycles (Giant C

Similar Products Used:   none so far

Bike Setup:   Norco Wolverine frame, SLX drivetrain, Alex XCR100d rims w/XTR hubs and DTSwiss spokes, Thomson/KCNC components, Kenda tires

Submitted by awhuff a Cross Country Rider from Payson, Utah, USA

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2009

Strengths:    Lightweight, smooth travel, quick rebound

Weaknesses:    A little time consuming to adjust the travel on the fly.

Bottom Line:
Great all around fork. I purchased this after having sore wrists on a cheaper fork. After putting the Revelation through a solid test in Southern Utah, my wrists didn't feel sore in the least due to the Revelation's smooth and quick absorption of bumps. The shock is lightweight and fast, giving me confidence in everything I do. I have no doubt that I purchased the right fork for my riding style.

Favorite Trail:   Bearclaw Poppy

Purchased At:   Fezzari.com

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Tora

Bike Setup:   Typical for a full suspension, cross country bike

Submitted by progressing xc, am... dh rider a Cross Country Rider from sd, ca

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2007

Strengths:    GREAT fork! (85-130)426 U-turn and lockout are awesome though a little time consuming, well worth it. Very versatile! Endless ways to adjust travel and dampening depending on riding style and/or trail. Agressive XC rider...SMOOTH! on small jumps and decent downhill runs as thats all that ive tried with my riding style

Weaknesses:    little noisy until broken in but otherwise FLAWLESS!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
with limited experience...kicks ass! no need for anything else

Favorite Trail:   dixon lake

Similar Products Used:   j4, older sr suntour?!?!?

Bike Setup:   gt i drive 5, sram x.9/x.0, m545 pedals, sun rhyno, velociraptors

Submitted by mig a Cross Country Rider from Scotland

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2007

Strengths:    adjutsability, Lockout

Weaknesses:    Kicker type jumps

Bottom Line:
Love these forks, I held off for some time before submitting a review, no reliabilty problems, experienced bottoming out a few times so started running them 10psi higher that the chart indicated. the only recurring problem being the shock trying to soak up the lipp of the jump even with compression before take off resulting in scary front wheel landings. (anyone advise on this one please). New frame next and will keep these forks.

Favorite Trail:   Spooky woods

Purchased At:   Alpine

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Marathon SL 120mm

Bike Setup:   Scott G zero, DT swiss 210L shock, hope mono mini

Submitted by Cory Nelson a Cross Country Rider from 5449 Wil-Acre Dr.

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2007

Strengths:    Great Fork, good travel, easy to adjust, lightweight

Weaknesses:    a couple problems with poplock

Bottom Line:
best fork ever owned

Purchased At:   Rockford Bicycle Company

Similar Products Used:   MArazocci Drop off

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher G.E.D, Single Speeed

Submitted by Clinton a Weekend Warrior from Jacksonville, FL

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2007

Strengths:    Plenty of adjustment to get what you want out of it. Soaks up alot of punishment.

Weaknesses:    Stickers used for the writing are coming off

Bottom Line:
Great all around fork for cross country or getting alittle crazy. The lock out is great. U-turn is a great tool to talior the shock to the type of riding you will be doing at that particular moment. Forks are a pricey component so it is nice to be able to say I got my moneys worth with this shock.

Favorite Trail:   Tom Brown

Purchased At:   Bikesdirect

Bike Setup:   Motobecane Fantom Comp

Submitted by Jared Kinder a Weekend Warrior from Mission Viejo, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    Many

Weaknesses:    Have to stop to adjust travel with U-turn, no a big deal. I'm fat and have to stope before climbs anyway.

Bottom Line:
Great trail fork, set it up on the supple side I use about 20lbs more in the negative side and it feels great. Very stong, will accept an 8 inch rotor if you want it too.

Favorite Trail:   Rock-It

Purchased At:   Sport Chalet Employee Purchase

Similar Products Used:   Marz Jr.T, Marz 888, Marz Z 150, Marz Z1, Rock Shox Pike, Fox Float.

Bike Setup:   marin Wolf Ridge frame. Custom mix of parts

Submitted by Tomas from Gothenburg, Sweden

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    Plush feeling, weight, price, adjustable travel

Weaknesses:    Dives too much (linear travel) for my weight

Bottom Line:
This is a review of a 2006 RS Revelation 426 U-turn Air + poploc remote.

The forks travel is very plush for a air based system, feels smooth and nice. Reasonably stiff for its low weight. Nice to be able to adjust travel between 100-130mm. The remote poploc is a "nice to have" feature but not really needed in my opinion, depends on what kind of trails you ride on I guess.

I agree with a previous reviewer that the travel feels very linear and dives too much on slower technical sections on the trail. Tried with different positive+negative air pressures but no improvement. Considering to swap to the coil version of the Revelation and hope it will handle better in this sense.

Can't say much about long term reliability but during these 3 months I haven't had any mechanical issues or problems.

Purchased At:   hibike.de

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi, Manitou, Fox

Bike Setup:   All mountain bike

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    Well made, value for money, stiff, adjustable.

Weaknesses:    Remote Poplock with dial, U turn jammed.

Bottom Line:
I bought these I had a RS Reba which came on my full sus bike which I liked plus I needed a fork which was adjustable between 100 and 130mm. This just seemed perfect and you know what, it is. Does what the Reba does, ie you don't know it's there, it soaks the stuff up and lets you get on with the riding.

I have had two problems though:-
1) After a crash the remote poploc snapped off the handle bars into two pieces (awaiting a new one), but I will only get the lockout, didn't really notice the benifit of the dial thingy and all I really want is lockout for climbs.

2) After a 2 months the u turn dial got stuck, and I couldn't wind the fork out past 115mm. Nothing needed replacing just needed a quick service, I'm hoping this isn't going to be a long term reliabillity problem.

If it wasn't for the fact it needed a service so soon I'd give 5/5 chillis.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Splice, RS Reba

Bike Setup:   Cotic Soul, LX/XT, Formula Oro's...

Submitted by Mike LeBlanc a Cross Country Rider from Plymouth, NH

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2006

Strengths:    Light! Extreamly adjustable, So many diffrent ways you can set this fork up to accomidate many diffrent conditions. U-turn is great albiet time consuming. Excellent build quality, have had no issues with service or warranty problems.

Weaknesses:    Low speed damping is pretty much Bad. Mid to high speed its great. Unfortunatly for 90% of the riding I do in the Northeast US this fork simply does not work that well, mainly in low speed tecnical terrein; it has atendency to blow through the travel or dive abruptly in these situations, sending your weight to far forward.I guess it feels to linear. I do not find this fork to be as stiff as everyone is claiming.

Bottom Line:
I really want to like this fork, and I do, but I cant get over its poor low speed handling in the techy situations we have here in NH. Rock gardens, roots, etc. where you are using your 1st or second gear. My Marzocchi mx pro was sooo much better in these situaitons that I am switching back to a Mazzocchi coil/air fork. I actually think the Marzocchi was stiffer as well. I have tried every possible neg/pos air combination but I think the bottom line for me is that an air fork simply cannot match the feel of a coil, and Marzocchi's air and coil is the best of both worlds for my type of riding. The fork
(Revelatoin) just feels to linear for my taste.
Aside from this gripe, I think this fork is great. I was in CO for 2 months this summer riding fast single track and the fork was perfect over just about any type of terrrein I encountered. This fork is deserving of the great reviews it has recieved as it is a great value compared to Fox's offerings and it has excellent build quality. However for me Marzocchi makes the best handling fork out there.

Purchased At:   universal

Similar Products Used:   rockshox mag 21,Judy xc. Specialized future shock,
Marzocchi z2, xfly and MX pro eta 05'
Fox vanilla 130

Bike Setup:   Specialized fsr 120 expert with Rev. (great match)

Submitted by Simon a Weekend Warrior from Montreal

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2006

Bottom Line:
It is my first 'real' fork and so far I love it. It is very rigid, very plush and quite light. I have a 426 Air U-turn and so far the locking works well, as the adjustment. Overall the fork have a nice solid feel and gives me a lot of confidence. I would recommend this fork!

Favorite Trail:   Les Crans at St-Felicien, QC

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur LT

Submitted by Rich a Racer from UK

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustability, stiffness, plush travel, price, lockout, easy set-up, that solid "german car" feel etc etc etc

Weaknesses:    I guess this is a generic rockshox dual air problem - the negative air valve is very close to the disc rotar. Let air out and you get a bit of oil squirted over your disc. As long as you're aware of it, this isn't really a problem though.

The infitesimally small travel gradations mean you have to spend approx 20s riding one handed turning the dial to go from 100mm to 130mm of travel and vice versa. This doesn't sound like much hassle, but it's enough to make me only adjust the travel if I know there's a really long climb coming up.

The solid german car feel doesn't extend as far as the poplock! It works fine though.

Bottom Line:
Buy it! Unable to comment on durability, but have had no problems in 3 weeks.

With the negative air set right you just glide over the tree roots & smaller rocks like you're floating on air, while the 130mm travel still allows it to take the big hits. Turn the travel down to 100mm and the front end of your bike is lowered making the riding position and travel perfect for x-country riding and long climbs.

Personally, I would rather sacrifice the fine travel adjustability and just have a 3 position switch to go instantly from 100-115-130 mm travel. The current internals would require this switch to have very high gearing though, so this maybe not be practical.

Purchased At:   canyon

Bike Setup:   Canyon Nerve ES5 Stock components

Submitted by Kurt a Weekend Warrior from San Diego

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, stiff, strong, remote swtich lock out

Bottom Line:
Bravo, Rock Shox, Bravo! This fork is amazing. Considering I wrote you off 3 years ago after have a POS unnamed product of yours, this one tops them all. Fox has nothing that touches this fork right now. Much stiffer and plusher, its all about the set-up. I throughly impressed. I'm a true fan once again, you've brought me back.

Purchased At:   300