RockShox Recon 351 2006 Front Shocks

4.21/5 (29 Reviews)

Light and stiff, with travel to 130mm and available Motion Control Damping, Recon is the choice for All Mountain bikes.
Key Features:

-Motion Control Damping (351)
-Stiff 32mm 7075 aluminum upper tube
-Disc specific or bossed lower leg options
-Forged 6061 hollow aluminum crown
-Solo Air and U-Turn coil spring options
-Compatible with all PopLocs

Submitted by apple94 a Downhiller from luxembourg

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2010

Strengths:    Looks great, lightweight, super plush, adjustable travel, Pop-loc remote ,

Weaknesses:    poploc remote doesn't really work anymore except riding calmly on flat roads

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork, it works very well and is extremely plush at 130mm. the adjustable travel is really helpful and works well(except in the winter where you have to off your gloves and turn the hard knob with your bare hands, which hurts :p). I would definitely buy these again if mine broke.
This is the perfect fork for trail riders who want to go a bit bigger from time to time (I hit a nice 2 meter high drop with it regularly, and it works great). Buy it and you won't be deceived.

Favorite Trail:   Lil One ; Teknic or Friday Afternoon

Purchased At:   came stock with the

Similar Products Used:   Zoom bravo(but that doesn't really count ;p)

Bike Setup:   Raleigh RBS 9.0 frame, Rock shox Ario 2.1 , Sram X.0 (usage: light freeriding/trail riding)

Submitted by KAHAIKAPU a Cross Country Rider from atooi

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    smooth adjustable travel

Weaknesses:    9mm qr

Bottom Line:
built up my dawg and put this on till i gathered more clams..smooth ..great for agressive cross country

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   e bay

Similar Products Used:   rst generic

Bike Setup:   08 dawg

Submitted by XC-Ginger a Racer from Rush NewYork !USA!

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2009

Strengths:    Remote lock out, lightness, adjustability, durability, rigidity, sweet name

Weaknesses:    NA

Bottom Line:
I was lucky enough to win the bid on ebay for the price, and after riding it for over 4000 miles of ride and races without a flaw or hiccup it has bean hands down the best fork I have used thus far. I just bought a Stumpjumper 29er with a REBA so we will have to see if this will stand up to its rep, and deserve to be the RECONS big bro.

Favorite Trail:   Ellicottville, Letchworth state park, or dryer road park

Purchased At:   eBAY

Similar Products Used:   Judy II, Jett, Physlo Race, Dart 1, Reba 29er

Bike Setup:   TREK 6 series SLR (hardtail), Easton, XTR drive train, XT/mavric tubless, BB5’s with 185 rotors

Submitted by mas327 a Weekend Warrior from Burton

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2009

Strengths:    Compared to what I had---Fantastic

Weaknesses:    None discovered so far

Bottom Line:
Built up a full susser singlespeed.
The frame had 'Chiliworks' triple clamps fitted,look ok'ish
but the Recon's have transformed the bike.
U-Turn upto 130mm and lockout great for road sections and climbs.
I also threw away the factory shock and fitted Coupe Deluxe, this has done a lot too.
I now have a bike I want to ride.
Thanks to mtbr forum for advice.

Favorite Trail:   Just like any green lane/canal

Purchased At:   EBAY

Bike Setup:   Full suspension singlespeeder

Submitted by eckoblaze a Weekend Warrior from mission viejo

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2009

Strengths:    black color cant go wrong with that..

Weaknesses:    performance ummm didnt get a chance to tested out on trail

Bottom Line:
didnt even get to tested it out on the trail..the fork locked out meaning its on locked mode no travel..manager at PB says this was on a recall..dunno about that checked online about the recall none came up..so now they went to the manufacturer to get a replacement..and today they just called me only thing different is its not the fork i expected..they said i got a pretty good deal since it was high end its rockshox recon race..its white considering my bike is black it doesnt match coming from recon 351 130mm travel to recon race 100mm travel..dunno what the fork yr is hoping its 2010 but wrong thing is why would they swapp different from fork to another..how i wish i get to test this fork b4 it broke down didnt even tasted dirt.. 1 chili for defect fork or recall..dunno

Purchased At:   performance bike

Submitted by northwestrider69 a Cross Country Rider from seattle

Date Reviewed: August 12, 2009

Strengths:    Looks nice, very light

Weaknesses:    Not enough travel, cheap product

Bottom Line:
This fork is expensive junk. My Mozo factory front fork has handled all the tough trails this one never even got to ride on. Very disappointed considering the brand and the price paid.

Similar Products Used:   Mozo cheapo front fork

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S40 DSX mildly modified

Submitted by leocarioca a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    very responsive and im amazed at how useful the handlebar lockout is. much better than my previous xcr suntours which are locked in one position atm

Weaknesses:    none found so far, stiffness is perfect for my weight as im a small geezer

Bottom Line:
these shox are the bol***ks, woudl recommend them to any1, though ive only had them for one month, they are perfect for commuting, great off road and good for the occasional high jump....well pleased

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   xcr suntour (rubbish)

Bike Setup:   hardtail claud butler cape wrath with high front end, 203mm hayes stroker trail with semi slick fat tyres.

Submitted by amuzed2pieces a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2009

Strengths:    Very Light, very adjustable. Never loses air (never refilled it). It glides like a dream, as stiff or as soft as I need.

Bottom Line:
I could not imagine a better fork.

Favorite Trail:   Tokul

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by jayboy125 a Cross Country Rider from Devon

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2008

Strengths:    smooth when riding, strong, light and really good quality feel to them.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
amazing forks i advise anyone thinking of getting the to do so . they are good for everything pretty much, i do downhilling, jumping and cross country, and they take all of it perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   red trail, holdon hill

Purchased At:   merlincycles.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   rockshox recon 351 dual air

Bike Setup:   Saracen Vortex le with rockshox recon 351 forks.

Submitted by Benjamin Martin a Cross Country Rider from Felton, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2008

Strengths:    U-turn travel adjust is the greatest! I added it to my Gary Fisher Hardtail and it was like having a new bike. Shorten the travel for climbing, raise it for descending, put it in the middle for technical riding; it changes the head angle, gyroscope angle for excellent handling on any terrain. More than enough suspension for one wheel.

Weaknesses:    I would like the u-turn nob closer to the handlebars/easier to adjust at short notice.

Bottom Line:
I would like a u-turn on every fork I get from now on; sadly that bike just got stollen and my replacement is a 29er. They don't currently put u-turns on 29er forks but I'm hoping someday that product will be available.

Favorite Trail:   Bay Area Ridge Trail

Purchased At:   Family Cycle Center, Capitola

Similar Products Used:   rockshox jett, rockshox judy

Bike Setup:   geared hardtail w/ low handlebars, high seat
high speed trail commuting

Submitted by craig a Weekend Warrior from St. Louis USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2007

Strengths:    I can tell a big difference from the RST that came stock and this fork, at first I was worried from all the other up and down reviews for this shock..It handles on rocky trials and on pavement amazingly well, im not sure but I think shock might have a greater rack for better handeling and peformance..

Weaknesses:    Slight decrease in pressure but far as I told it suppose to do it

Bottom Line:
From this being my first real upgrade for shocks it great, if you dont mind the slightly high price tag it a super investment if you are going be doing much incline and descent on rock/ boldgers, Heck alot better then the stock trek one RST gila but was okay if just everyday cruise on trails, but I wanted a beefer front end, Exactly what it is and what I got 4flamin chilis for the money $400. and 5 for the performance/ handling

Favorite Trail:   Castwood Park ,Ballwin, MO

Purchased At:   ordered and installed , mesa cycles

Similar Products Used:   RST GILA came stock on trek bike

Bike Setup:   2006 Trek 4300 disc WTB weirwolfs,other then shock its stock

Submitted by Paul from London UK

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Sensitive, Good Value for price i payed, looks good, you can adjust travel etc

Weaknesses:    The skewers you use to adjust the travel are made from plastic my one broke already, otherwise none

Bottom Line:
Decent Fork for the price payed would advise it to a friend

Purchased At:   Got it off a friend

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Tora

Submitted by Dennis Grant a Cross Country Rider from Windsor

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2007

Strengths:    Functional rebound control, air spring with adjustable pressure, compression-based lockout with blowoff.

Weaknesses:    Less adjustments than higher-end models (Reba, Revolution), conversion to Poploc remote requires swapping damping cartridge, plastic screw cover for air fill valve uses fine thread that strips/crosssthreads easily

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Single Air sprung, non-poploc, 4.35" travel model.

The Recon 351 is RockShox's midrange XC/AM fork. It shares a similar chassis and similar internal mechanism to the higher end models, but has less in the way of adjustments.

The Recon 351 features air springing, adjustable rebound, and adjustable compression with a lockout feature. More advanced models add the ability to change positive and negative air spring pressure independantly (the Solo Air mechanism in the Recon 351 fills both chambers to the same pressure) and allows the blowoff pressure on the lockout to be tuned (on the Recon, this pressure is fixed) and offer variable travel lengths.

Mine did not come with the bar-mount poploc remote that allows compression and lockout to be changed while riding, and upgrading to the remote involves changing some internals on the fork, so it isn't as simple as buying the remote and cable to add it.

The rebound adjustment works well and has large control authority; the fork can be taken from heavily underdamped to slightly overdamped. The compression adjustment seems to have less authority; my impression is that you have a baseline compression setting and "locked out" more than a real range of tuning settings. Happily, the baseline compression setting seems to work fine for me so I don't miss the adjustability. The lockout lever sits on the top of the right fork leg and can be reached easily enough to be activated while the bike is moving (over smooth terrain at least) Even when locked out, the fork retains a certain degree of travel and will still absorb some bumps.

Compared to the spring-preload-only, undamped Suntour XCR that the bike came with, this fork is a dream. It can be quickly set to absorb big hits without kicking back and ejecting the rider from the bike. Even with compression at full soft, there is no bob under full power when seated (although it will bob mashing out of the saddle unless the lockout is engaged) and the fork makes full travel with the air pressure set correctly.

This fork didn't noticable change the ride quality of the bike - the Suntour was plenty free to move over bumps - but it has completely transformed the predictibility and stability of the bike. There is no longer any ricochet over roots, rocks, and transitions - the fork just soaks up the hit and the bike stays pointed where I intended. This fork solved my only real complaint with the bike.

Even on sale as a model year clearout it was still very expensive (as most forks are) but it was half the price of a Reba for almost identical performance and weight.

Needing major surgery to fit the poploc remote is annoying, and the screwcap that covers the air fill valve is threaded with an inexplicably fine thread that crossthreaded in a heartbeat, but these are minor niggles. Overall, this was a great addition to my ride.

Favorite Trail:   Fanshawe Lake