Marzocchi Z.1 Light Eta 2006 Front Shocks

4.94/5 (18 Reviews)

Z.1 can be used in a moderate freeride condition. Not intended for large drops, jumps and gaps. Z.1 series is between AM & extreme freeride.

Submitted by kovaldesign a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2008

Strengths:    light, stiff, plush, easy adjustment, maintenance free, quality build and it looks the bisiness

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Fantastic forks in every aspects, very easy to setup.
Maintenance free. So far the best forks I have ever owned.
I use my bike for any type of riding, been with it even on some XC races and I was the quickest on slopes and fairly quick when climbing thanks to ETA travel lock-down which is a great feature.
After 2 years of riding this beauty I decided I will upgrade it with the latest 55 ETA forks so I put these on my bike but just after few rides I went back to my old Z1 - I just did not like it! I think the secret lies is RC2 damping which is so much better when compared to TST. Also 55 ETA was 300g heavier than my Z1 Light.
Shame non of the new 55's come with RC2 system. The new adjustment knobs also seem to be cheap and just falling off, while knobs on Z1 are solid and very well finished.
Buy it if you can get it!!
Z1 still rules!!

Favorite Trail:   all over the places

Purchased At:   ebay UK

Similar Products Used:   other marzocchi's coil forks - generally impressed with this manufacturer
Tried once the Manitou Sherman with SPV - what a piece of crap is that!!

Bike Setup:   Light AM rig with Z1 Light at front

Submitted by wiz a Weekend Warrior from cornwall, england

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2007

Strengths:    super plush, super stiff, very adjustable, looks lovely.

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
got these second hand but in new condition, the seals still needed several rides to bed in and lose the stiction but when they did ,wow.like riding a full on down hill fork without the size and weight,soak up every bump small and large with control keeping the front wheel firmly planted - tracks the ground superbly. only niggle is the silly valve adapter needed to set preload,pain to use but does the job. you can set these super stiff or super plush with just a little tweak from your shok pump. rebound and compression adjust work a treat and ETA proves very useful when climbing on steep trails, just dont forget to turn it off at the top or you'll find yourself with a very short fork half way down the hill when you need travel the most, on that note have achieved full 150mm travel as well unlike some other forks out there

Favorite Trail:   skyline final decent, afan

Similar Products Used:   rock shox pikes,manitou sherman firefly

Bike Setup:   06 giant reign, z1 light, juicy 5's

Submitted by Ben Slabaugh a Racer from Hayden, ID

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2007

Strengths:    Excellent adjustment range: rebound, compression, negative air, TST travel, ETA. 20mm through-axle is incredibly stiff. Progressive travel without spiking feel. Ability to dial out brake dive. Very little stiction.

Weaknesses:    Marzocchi manual documentation on recommended air pressures. Forget the manual, just set the pressure based on 30% sag. The little schrader valve adapter is kinda silly.

Bottom Line:
I found this fork sort of by accident. In the process of purchasing a used frame, the owner offered me the fork at a great price. Since I was looking for a 150mm fork, I jumped at the opportunity. As it turns out, it is the fork of choice for the Turner Pack/RFX crowd.

The bottom line is that I wasn't disappointed. At first it felt a little sticky, but after a couple of rides it is now stiction-free. I took care of brake dive by dialing up the compression damping slightly. The fork feels progressive, but I do use of the travel on dowhill runs without hitting bottom-out. At 170lbs, 10 psi in the negative air chamber is just about right for ~45mm of sag. I filed off the threads on the schrader adapter so that I can quickly insert it and pump or remove air from the fork. I understand mechanically why Marzocchi went with the adapter, but a straight schrader port would've been nice. Some folks don't like the ETA, but with a 68 degree headtube angle, I nearly always drop the front-end of the bike with ETA on technical singletrack climbs. I still get around 30mm of travel to take the edge off, and the front stays pretty well planted.

If you can still find one of these forks out there, buy it! Even if you you only need 130mm instead of 150, you can shorten the travel with the TST dial.

Count them: 5, FIVE flaming jalapeños for Marzocchi.

Purchased At:   private sale

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MX Comp ETA, Fox Float F100R, Rock Shox Revelation, Manitou Minute 1:00.

Bike Setup:   Turner Six Pack. Marzocchi Z1 Light, DHX Air, Saint crankset, brakes and hubs, Crank Bros Mallet, Answer Pro Taper, 07 SRAM X.9, Panaracer Fire FR 2.4, Sun Rhyno Lite, WTB Laser V Pro Gel.

Submitted by Daniel from San Rafael CA US

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2007

Strengths:    i love this fork. the travel is so smooth and has so many adjustments that it can be used for vertually any type of riding.

Weaknesses:    after about 1 month of use, a strange clicking noise started happening whenever the fork compressed. this didnt affect the performance of the fork untill about a month later i noticed that the eta leaked. it would compress but then slowly start coming back up.

Bottom Line:
aside from the eta, this fork is sick.

ps to keep the red knob on, just tighten the allen key inside of the knob while holding the knob still.

Purchased At:   the backcountry (oe)

Submitted by Ryan L. a Weekend Warrior from Coldbrook

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth travel, lots of adjustments - and they all work great. Fairly light, stiff. All around great!

Weaknesses:    lost my red knob too

Bottom Line:
I love it, I love it, I love it, I love it....

I had this fork on my XC bike when I got it but after blowing the seals on my 66 I put it on my SX trail. I was blown away! I allready knew this fork was great for xc/trail use but I had not had much time hucking with it. After the my first hit with it on one of our 10ft drops I knew that my 66VF was not going back on my bike! I've now had the fork on my SX for nearly a month with no regrets. It even soaked up out 15X18 rd. gap better with ease.

I love it, I love it, I love it.... Go buy one NOW!

Favorite Trail:   Phase 2

Similar Products Used:   '03.5 Z150, '06 66RC2X, 06 66VF

Bike Setup:   2006 SX trail - Z1Lite, Mavic wheels, Thomson stem/post, Sram drivetrain

Submitted by pete a Weekend Warrior from santa rosa, ca

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, not flexy at all.

Weaknesses:    lost the knob under the right leg. marzocchi replaced know after 10 weeks of waiting. knob was on back-order

Bottom Line:
the bottom is this: it's a great fork that should last you and bring much joy and happiness on any type of trail.

Similar Products Used:   Fox Vanilla 125

Bike Setup:   '06 Heckler, SRAM X9, CK, FSA....

Submitted by sa a Downhiller from Russia

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2006

Strengths:    Strong and plush. Many parameters for tuning. Good service.

Weaknesses:    Lost red knob :(

Bottom Line:
Amazing fork for light freeride. If you wish you can ride some cross country on it :)

Favorite Trail:   Ukrain\Crimea\Ai-Petri

Similar Products Used:   66RC2X - also great product, 66VF2

Bike Setup:   Norco Six One with some upgrades.

Submitted by M.C.tigre a Weekend Warrior from Austin,Tx. USA

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2006

Strengths:    Very smooth and strong.

Weaknesses:    Lost Red dial at bottom of rt leg. Note use locktight.

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike and I am extremly happy with the setup. I like the way the Z1 rides and feels. It is smooth and a very adjustable fork. It does not dive on turns and sokes up landings very well, even off camber. I like the eta and use it more than I thought I would. I wished they would have made the Z1 light at 160mm or 165mm. Great fork though and I am happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   still looking

Purchased At:   Shuntavi Bikes

Similar Products Used:   36 talas and 36 vanrc(I liked this one a lot)

Bike Setup:   Nomad, Z1 light, Pushed DHX5, FSA dh Carbon bar, Thompson Stem, Syncros Mag peddals,XO kit, dt swiss hubs, mavic 321 rims & maverick speedball seat post.

Submitted by Ray Chamberland a Weekend Warrior from Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Strengths:    Amazingly smooth and easy to dial in.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This fork is absolutely amazing. It is so smooth and easy to adjust. I weght 190 Lbs and run 4PSI in it. It soaks up just about anything to the size of a large bowling ball with no problem at all. I run a Nixon elite on one of my other bikes. The Nixon does not come anywhere near the performance of the Z1 light. This is a top performer and a lot of bang for your $.

Favorite Trail:   the "Whopper drop"

Purchased At:   Bikeroom.ca

Similar Products Used:   Nixon elite

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant reign

Submitted by Brian Welch a Weekend Warrior from Fresno, CA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    Color, weight, adjustability, coil spring performance and feel, PLUSHNESS, full range of travel, build quality

Weaknesses:    You must use provided spacers for the IS disk brake adapter.. Not really a big deal, just seems like a weak link. Bring on more post mounts in those future Marz forks!!

Bottom Line:
This fork kills. The above reviews are correct on the sticky feel out of the box, those marz seals take a little bit to break in. The air serves perfect as rebound, and the coil feels like butter for the compression. Easy to dial in, no separate preload, just pump up the air in the right leg according to spec. I weigh 190 with all of my gear, and 55 PSI was just perfect. Price is a little steep, but after coming from a Manitou Sherman that leaked oil all over the stanchions after a ride to the liqour store, let alone trail, it is worth it. I was looking at the 36 Van RC2, but that price is just silly, and too many horror stories on mtbr. NO THANKS!! I received a free Chris King with my purchase, making the decision even more of a no-brainer. Look at the reviews on this fork, and they are all spot on, live up to the hype. I'll post an addition to my review after a few months on the trails in our beautiful Sierras.. If you are looking for a high end high performance all mountain fork, this can't be beat. I ride more trail and enduro than stunts and dirt jumps, but I may hit them up from time to time. This fork just sets the trail on fire on climbs and downhills. Nice stuff, Marz!

Favorite Trail:   007, Sky Harbor

Purchased At:   www.universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Sherman Flick, Z1 Drop off, Rock Shox Psylo, Junior T

Bike Setup:   Black Anodized Santa Cruz Heckler, White Z1 Lite, DHX 5.0 Coil, Arrow Racing FRX Wheelset, Saint discs, Holzfeller cranks

Submitted by eric sams a Weekend Warrior from lynnwood wa

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2006

Strengths:    super stiff down rough desents, plush beond anything I have had. 20mm axle is sweet. ETA helps up climbs.

Bottom Line:
this fork is all that, you just point and rip. thru axle is the only way to fly, I am amazed by the plush travel. I love it.
if you ride hard and want the bomb get this fork and be happy.

Favorite Trail:   knoble knob

Purchased At:   downhill zone

Similar Products Used:   marz, dj3,psylo,nixon

Bike Setup:   enduro pro,hadley521,5th element,hayes w/8"front 6"rear

Submitted by Philip a Downhiller from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, Smooth, Light

Bottom Line:
Takes hits, climbs well, small bump performance is better than any other long travel fork! it's good on the flats, but when you start going down the hills - it really brings a new level of performance to your bike! Adjustablitiy is spot on and consitantly the same - i can always count on 17 clicks of rebound for my fav trail!

Favorite Trail:   Any Lift Access Trail!

Purchased At:   www.rscycle.com

Similar Products Used:   RS 454

Bike Setup:   MKIII, x.9, easton, avid juicy7,

Submitted by carlos from mexico

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2006

Strengths:    stiff, easy of adjustments,smoothness, marzocchi reliability, white looks cool with my black heckler

Weaknesses:    NOt really a weakness, but it took a few rides to become smooth

Bottom Line:
get it!

Purchased At:   speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   van 36, great, but not better, and even more expensive

Submitted by Mike from Slovakia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2006

Strengths:    RC2 damping, ETA, 20mm axle, perfect design, lot of settings to play, smooth as butter

Weaknesses:    There is only small difference between lowest and highest compresion setting, colour is easy to scratch

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this fork only few times, but this is absolutely amazing fork. Perfect design, beautyfull CNC machined adjusement knobs, huge range of rebound adjusement, ETA works very well, relatively light (my meassured weight is 2445g with uncut steertube), 20mm axle work very well. This fork is suitable for riders who like hardcore-enduro and freeride riding. I was thinking that 150mm travel is too much for me, but I like it so much now. With ETA is no problem to ride hard climbings or XC rides. I really recommend this fork.

Submitted by GR a Weekend Warrior from Russia

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to find replacment parts, white Color, premium weight (2,540 kg), Cool design, very plush and stiff. Easy to setup for heavy riders. Have 4 adjust.

Weaknesses:    Big price... ADJUST of Compression very easy to broke, be careful with it.

Bottom Line:
I was need a fork what can working like a boxxer (very plush), to ride down from the hill, and be not so heavy for ride up to the hill. At last minute i think what i must buy the FOX 36, and then i go to the shop to buy them i prefer Z 1 =))

Just pump air in to the right leg and you can easly setup fork for your weight. I turn compression to clockwise to "fully open", pump a 60 psi and go to the ride! I buy fork that what i needed. ETA a very good stuff, then you climb up. If you want do-it-all freride fork - prefer this!

Favorite Trail:   Bitca, Filevski Park, Sunhill

Similar Products Used:   DirtJumper 03, Boxxer Ride 05, White Brothers FR 1.5 05, DNM USD 180 04

Bike Setup:   Yeti AS-X 04 Freeride Kit