Marzocchi MX Comp Eta 2006 Front Shocks

4.87/5 (23 Reviews)

- XC/ Marathon racing w/ extreme durability is demanded

Submitted by Johnathan Desnoyers Nagy a Weekend Warrior from Montreal / Quebec / Canada

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2008

Strengths:    Very plush, very stiff, very gradual, ETA is AWESOME!!!, love the white model (which i have) and love that i can make it 105 mm or 120 mm.

Weaknesses:    Internal rebound... Still haven't figured out how it works but soon will. Anyways, does it really mater?

Bottom Line:
This fork is awesome. I've done 2' drops and didn't even come close to buttoming out! I have the 105-120mm and its awesome! Love the ETA feature, its great when needed though i don't need it that often.

I paid only 205$ for this fork and trust me, i couldn't get a better quality/price deal EVER!!! This fork is great for what i do, its so gradual when working it. Its very stiff and plush. Only buttomed it out once because it doesn't haave enough air in it. I'm only 150 so you can imagine that its needing a bit of air.

This fork it awesome, but don't try and use it for insane downhill, or 6' drops because your chances of breaking it are high. But once you try this fork, its guaranted that its going to make you push yourself harder and become a better rider. I'm so confident with this fork.

If your looking for something cheap but great quality, get this fork. If your looking for downhill, don't get this fork though its more for smal XC riding and drops not bigger then 4' maybe 5' max but thats pushing it a bit to far.

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None really

Bike Setup:   Schwinn hydroformed frame, Race Face DH Evolve Stem, Jalco Rims, Formula Hubs, FSA XC281 Riser Handlebar, Nokian 2.3

Submitted by ran chen a Weekend Warrior from ramat gan israel

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2007

Strengths:    work smoothly, realy hard to use all the 100 mm, the eta is great for climbing.low maintenanc.

Weaknesses:    internal rebound (if you can say its weaknes)but if you adjus it onc its ok.

Bottom Line:
in israel the only forks you can find under 500$ is this one and few rock shox. all the others is more than 700$. and for week ends, city travel i dont need more than that

Favorite Trail:   desert in israel

Similar Products Used:   rockshox tora, judi, indy.

Bike Setup:   giant nrs 3

Submitted by Kel a Weekend Warrior from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Nice color, ETA, plush, affordable, durable, can withstand agressive riding, doesn't bottom out

Weaknesses:    Internal rebound hassle to adjust. You have to release the pressure the remove the cap to side in a rod to change the rebound. The external rebound is for the MX Pro so I don'thave to complain. Changing the travel takes a lot of time swisting the knob but being patient helps. The warning stickers are hard to remove (still in my fork)

Bottom Line:
This a very good fork! It's my first time to use Marzocchi since I was used to Manitou, but I got hooked to this brand. I also wish I could own a Fox Talas. I also like the white color like the fox forks. The ETA is really useful especially when climbing. With this price range, you can't go wrong with all the features, feel, and marz durability.

If you want a durable trail fork w/ useful adjustability, then buy this. If you do jumps more than 3' then look at the All Mountain line or the 66.

Favorite Trail:   Keystone-Peavine, Immigrant trail, Thomas Creek

Purchased At:   Bobs-bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Six, Manitou Skareb Elite

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0, Marz MXC, Simano XT-LX drivetrain, Race Face crankset and handlebar, Specialized stem, Mavic 819 wheelset w/ xt hubs, Hayes El Camino brakeset, Thomson Elite seatpost, Salsa skewers, etc.

Submitted by Larry a Cross Country Rider from Auckland,New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2007

Strengths:    Colour, ETA, does not bottom out, very smooth very plush, I don't get fatigue in my hands, sticks to the ground, doesn't leak air or oil.

Weaknesses:    being picky the Paint, I put a small chip in the arch during the installation (not sure how)

Bottom Line:
ETA+TAS.
I can't say enough about this fork. It is awesome. It is a no nonsense fork that gives alot of rider confidence,at a great price.
Along with the thudbuster LT this has transformed my bike into a real pleasure to ride.
As I brought from Jenson I have the USA version of this fork in white - this makes my ride unique :)

Purchased At:   Jenson

Similar Products Used:   manitou axel

Bike Setup:   2005 marin nail trail + thudbuster LT

Submitted by Vuk Miljus a Cross Country Rider from Belgrade, Serbia

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    Strenght, build quality, performance under heavy weight (I weigh 95kg)
ETA.

Bottom Line:
For this amount of money its hard to get a better deal unless your buying
second hand equipment. Smooth performance, no bottoming out,
good control. I ride mainly cross country but assume the fork could take
more punishing terrain than I overcome. The weight is fine taking in notice
the price and build. It performs well with disc brakes and is very simple to use.

Purchased At:   Germany

Similar Products Used:   RST Gila, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Alu hardtail

Submitted by Tintin from Oregon. U.S

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth trustworthy operation time after time. Great design and quality finish to these forks. Once they bed in they need no maintenance or any readjustments. ETA is the best feature on any fork that I have ever used!! Price.

Weaknesses:    None at all.

Bottom Line:
Essential forks for anyone who places value, function, performance and longevity above designer name and whistles and bells. Does a solid job of being a top flight fork at a value price. You got to be nuts to spend Fox money when you can get this!

Similar Products Used:   Fox F100 X, Marz Marathon SL, Z2 Lite, Manipoo Mars and SXR, Rockshox Judy TT.

Bike Setup:   Kona King Kikapu

Submitted by Jim Dawson a Weekend Warrior from Britain

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, reliable very smooth, well sealed and almost maintenance free, super tracking, beautifully designed and finished fork, great value for money fork.

Bottom Line:
Just a seriously good fork we are talking about here.
Didn't expect much from a fork at this price. Bought it for my training bike. All my other bikes have Fox Forks because I take Forks seriously... costing more than double what I paid for the Marzocchi. So impressed with this Marzocchi fork that I have replaced one of my troublesome Fox forks with it because it's that good. ETA is simple and brilliant. The whole fork exudes quality and its reliable...really reliable. Very smooth and excellent tracker even when I brake hard. I set the air pressure and it has never needed to be touched. Now I see why Marzocchi have got this awesome reputation.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Similar Products Used:   Fox Racing Shox F100 X, F80 RLT, Float 100 RLC, and TALAS RLC .

Bike Setup:   2002 Intense Tracer

Submitted by Hawkeye a Weekend Warrior from Cumbria

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Strong, light, plush, reliable, great looks, solid performance, cheap....just amazing really!

Bottom Line:
This is not just a budget fork because the build and performance exceed that. It is really a mid-priced fork sold at a budget price. Excellent ETA and total confidence inspiring performance together with the legendary reliability make this remarkable! This Fork had no unecessary whistles and bells but is the benchmark against which all reasonably priced forks should be judged. Well done Marzocchi!!

Purchased At:   Merlin

Similar Products Used:   Too many to list...but I'm well qualified to know a good fork.

Bike Setup:   G.T I-Drive

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Honolulu

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    Plush, doesn't bottom out, fairly light, adjustable, stiff.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
An excellent fork for the money. I'm able to ride many portions of trails that I previously couldn't because of this fork. I experience reduced fatigue and arm soreness after a ride. I use about 25 psi and an intermediate rebound setting and this fork works excellent for my 180 lbs. I was originally concerned about putting such a long travel fork on my old school hardtail, but the geometry change is hardly noticable at 100mm of travel and handling is improved if anything. Another fantastic Marzocchi product, great for people who would rather ride than maintain their gear.

Purchased At:   Jenson Usa

Similar Products Used:   Rigid fork, mag 21, Judy XC (1996), Z2 Bomber(1998)

Bike Setup:   1996 steel stumpjumper hardtail.

Submitted by Igor a Cross Country Rider from Franklin, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Strengths:    light, I personally weighed it and it came under 4 pounds with uncut steerer tube, very adjustable, ETA is sweet, looks amazing

Weaknesses:    internal rebound, not really a weakness unless you constantly change your rebound

Bottom Line:
Wow! thats all i could say when I exchanged my stock Mani-poo Axel for the Mx Comp with Eta and Tas. There is a world of difference. First of all, the Marzocchi is made in Italy, so the quality is astonishing. The white color and the overall impression the fork makes is great. as for performance, the ETA does what its supposed to do. Help you kill climbs and long road stages. If you feel like youve had enough of the pavement, switch to 100-120 mm of travel and you can conquer the trail. I got mine at Jenson for $228 and its the best deal out there! forget Fox and Rock Shox, go with a Marzocchi, you wont be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   hamilton creek

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Recon-more expensive and alot heavier, Manitou Splice and Axel, not too great-too stiff

Bike Setup:   GT IDXC 4.0, stock except for stem, MX Fork, new seat, and some other jazz

Submitted by Jonas a Cross Country Rider from Åbo, Finland

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Strengths:    Great performance, not too heavy

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of. Maybe internal rebound if I have to say something

Bottom Line:
This fork has really impressed me with its great performance and its low price. Makes your hardtail go smoothly almost anywhere! Haven't used the ETA very much but I kind of like it on high-speed road stages. Highly recommended!

Favorite Trail:   Storskogen

Purchased At:   Bike-discount.de

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy C + some others in short tests

Bike Setup:   Trek 4900, Sram X-gen/X.9 + grip shifts, Shimano 535 discs, PDM-540 pedals

Submitted by Justin a Cross Country Rider from Orem, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    Very economical fork. Great value. ETA is a blessing. Travel Adjustable.

Weaknesses:    You don't get TST and all that other jazz.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for an upgrade for your bike, and don't want to burn a hole in your pocket, go for the MX Comp. If you have some stock bike (like I did) with some Manitou OEM thinger on there, putting a new fork on there may be the most economical upgrade you can do. I replaced the Manitou Black that came stock on my Stumpy with the MX Comp and I noticed a huge difference: front suspension. Ha, that being said, it's a great fork to throw on any xc bike. It will improve control and confidence (which is a huge factor in biking).

That being said, I really like this fork. It really does what you want it to do. ETA is a wonderful feature, and I really wish that all forks would do that instead of a full lockout. It is also travel adjustable, between 100-120mm, which isn't really quite on the fly, but hardly necessary to be so.

But yeah, I would definitely would recommend this fork to nearly anyone. Versatile, cost effective, not to mention a good ride.

Oh, and the 2006 MX Comp 100-120mm ETA comes in white. I dig white. You should too.

Purchased At:   Down Shift Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Float, Talas, All Mtn 1

Bike Setup:   '04 Stumpjumper

Submitted by Watson a Weekend Warrior from B.C Canada

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Strengths:    Robust well constructed piece of kit. Very smooth and excellent ETA unit. Keeps air in and crud out so very good seals. Tracks the ground very well. Amazing value.

Bottom Line:
This cannot be beaten for value, not just because it is cheap for what you get but because it really does perform amazingly well in all but total downhill circumstances. And the ETA is simply superb! Tracks well too and needs very little attention. Oh.....and it doesn't lose air.

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Wolverhampton, U.K

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2006

Strengths:    Great all round fork that climbs and descends well and that is very good value for money.

Bottom Line:
Great forks in every way. ETA is brilliant. Strongly made and they make the steering easier over rough ground. Dependable and easy to maintain. Fit and ride with a really good value for money price tag.

Favorite Trail:   Karrimore

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z1 and Z2, Marathon, Fox 100R, Manitou Mars and Black.

Bike Setup:   Kona Kikapu

Submitted by John Gee a Weekend Warrior from B.C Canada

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    Excellent quality of design and build ....finish too is great. Very smooth performance and does not bottom-out due to the air cartridge. ETA system is the very best lock down that I have come across, giving a steeper head angle and 25-30mm of travel only, for hard climbing. The seals are the best in the business.. no leaks like Fox, and the oil bath keeps everything permanently lubricated. Dependable and Robust with hardly any flex.

Weaknesses:    The rebounder adjuster is internal...but I only set this once so it is no problem for me.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding Forks...Very smooth performance and does not bottom-out due to the air cartridge. ETA system is the very best lock-down that I have come across, giving a steeper head angle and 25-30mm of travel only, for hard climbing. Reliable, Bobust, No flex, great seals, and they need hardly any maintenance.
This is a Fork that lets you get on with the riding without thinking about it....And the price is real Value!

Similar Products Used:   RS Pilot, Duke,Marzocchi MZ, EXR, Bomber, Black, Skareb, Fox Float RL, Fox F100X, Fox Vanilla R

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Stumpjumper M4

Travel reduction for MX Comp ETA?

I have the 105mm version. Can it be chopped to 80mm or so? If so, how?Read More »

MX COMP ETA or XC 600

I installed my 2007 Marzocchi MX COMP off my hard tail on my new full susp and it is a couple MM two short, so I am needing to purchase another fork. The MX COMP ETA has been great so far but I feel odd buying two of the same fork. The reviews of the 2007 XC 600 are not very good and the fox shock ... Read More »

04 mx comp eta 85mm

On braking i noticed flex, the right leg is flexing kinda bad, on eta lock down i get none. I got off my bike to check it and there is play in the right leg. Is this the seals or something sinister? I live in uk and just wondering if anyone has had same problem and what price it cost(dollars will ... Read More »

'06 Marzocchi MX Comp ETA vs. '06 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA

Howdy everyone- What's the difference between these two forks (minus the cost, of course)?Read More »

2006 Marzocchi MX comp ETA

Hey NOW! I just upgraded my stock Mantiou Axel from my 05 GF tass, with the MArz fork....Here is the thing, I am kinda new at the whole adjustment part....what is it that you like to feel when you adjust the fork? I weigh about 220 and am 5 10.... Thanks PS does anyone have this fork? a ... Read More »