Marzocchi MX 85 2006 Front Shocks

• Lower Crown: Superlight Marathon crown
  • Drop-Out Type: Standard

Submitted by Curtis a Weekend Warrior from ID

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2006

Strengths:    seems good.

Weaknesses:    I'm not sure yet.

Bottom Line:
Last week, after owning the fork for about 3 weeks I heard a pssssst noise coming from the bottom of my left fork leg and all the oil came leaking out so I was upset. The following day I went to the bike shop and the guy said it looked too complicated for him to fix but he referred me to some local Marzocchi specialist guy. He said I was looking at probably $90 to repair it. The specialist guy wasn't answering his phone so I called Marzocchi and told them what happened and asked what I should do. They told me how to fix it myself. It wasn't too complicated. It cost me $13 for some new oil at a local bike shop and I had to look up how much oil each fork leg takes at the Marzocchi web site. I've been on a couple rides since then and the fork seems to be working perfectly again. I guess what caused the oil loss was whoever assembled it didn't tighten down that screw well enough on the bottom of my fork. No seals were broken or anything. I'm still happy with the fork. It's night and day compared to my Jett, but I have to take off a star for the oil loss and trouble to fix it. The damping is great.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   I had another suspension fork before this but it doesn't compare in quality. It was a Rock Shox Jett from '99. No damping, just a spring.

Bike Setup:   I already listed my bike setup in the other post but I got some new XO twist shifters and rear derailer since then.

Submitted by Curtis a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Bottom Line:
I like this fork a lot. I'm basically braindead and this fork does all the thinking for me. Thanks Marzocchi.

Purchased At:   Online

Bike Setup:   '99 Rocky Mountain Fusion Frame (Steel), Race Face System stem, 9.0 sram grip shifts and 9.0 rear derailer, Race Face Atlus crankset, CaneCreek Zonos wheels, Avid V-Brakes (Don't remember exactly which ones) Avid brake levers, Geax Blade tires. Race Face handle bars, Marzocchi MX 85 fork, FSA DH pig headset. That's all I can remember.

Marz MX Series 85 mm A/C height?

OK, Upgrade-itis has set in (I think it has something to do with spring being around the corner). I'm contemplating upgrading the RST 50mm fork on my street bike. I called and spoke with Ibex and they believe that the axle to crown height on this fork is probably similar to some of the 80-85mm forks ... Read More »

Upgrade MX Pro 105 to Marathon SL 85?

Hi all, I need some advise. My bike is an 02 Rocky Mountain Trailhead that came with a 80 mm RS Judy TT, which obviously was a heavy, terrible performing fork. Last year I upgraded it to a 03 MX Pro ETA 105mm, the difference was amazing and it helped my riding progress a lot. I’ve had nothing but ... Read More »