Marzocchi Gran Fondo 1 2006 Front Shocks

• Drop-Out Type: Standard
  • Steer Tube: Steel

Submitted by Ciaran Mauro a Weekend Warrior from St. Helena, California

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2009

Strengths:    Rebound
Lockout
Size

Weaknesses:    Leaks a bit out of the bottom Rebound Adjuster but nothing very noticeable

Bottom Line:
I have had a 2008 Marin Northside trail frame sitting in my closet. Finally, with enough parts laying around to build it up as a DJ bike, which is what i'd originally wanted to do, but was short a fork. I came across the GranFondo laying by the soon-to-be-taken-out garbage at my cousins. Upon his approval i took it with me home and started building

I've only riden this fork a few times since the bikes been built, but so far it works great. The rebound adjuster goes up way higher and lower than you'd normally need, giving it great adjustability. The Air PL is easy and holds its pressure. And my favorite, the Lockout works great and you don't have to turn it forever for it to engage. So far this fork has done fine for what I use it for and even though it's classified for trekking, it can still handle moderate dirt jump and street jumping.

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MZ3
Marzocchi MZ Comp
Spinner Grind OS
Spinner Grind 2

Bike Setup:   Marin Northside Trail, Weinmann rear wheel with Shimano Hub and 7 speed cassete, Alex Rim AM in the front with Avid 6" disc and caliper
Set up for Dirt Jump

Submitted by James a Cross Country Rider from Bozeman, MT

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2007

Strengths:    Good adjustability with the air assist. From experience, it does take big hits well. Good for an all around fork that can do it all.

Weaknesses:    Not a plush as the more expensive forks but that's the way things work. I have never used the lockout or the rebound adjustment but some may. I have had the rebound full on and the lockout full off on every ride up and down. If you want every bump soaked up, spend the extra cha-ching.

Bottom Line:
Good for a stock fork but I will upgrade as soon as I can.

Similar Products Used:   Crap, anything would have been an upgrade.

Bike Setup:   Stock Dawg Deluxe. The fork came OEM.

Submitted by cole a Downhiller from cole

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2006

Strengths:    cole

Weaknesses:    cole

Bottom Line:
cole

Favorite Trail:   cole

Purchased At:   cole

Similar Products Used:   cole

Bike Setup:   cole

Submitted by todd hane a Weekend Warrior from ithaca ny usa

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2006

Strengths:    Very adjustable. Lockout works great, easy to add air pressure out on trail if needed. Holds pressure well.

Weaknesses:    NONE YET!

Bottom Line:
BOTTOM LINE, you want the bottom line?? Always read the reviews. Always go with marzocchi.

Favorite Trail:   chair trail shindagin hollow

Similar Products Used:   I had a marzocchi Z1 wedge on my old bike as an upgrade because as many of you know it's hard to afford a good bike that has a real fork. Once again I got a modest xc bike with fairly good components and the fork was a manitou axel with 180mm travel. But what good is all that travel if it is too SOFT!!! Dangerous, and all the adjustments were decorations. So due to the great deal of satisfaction I had with my Z1 that I sold with my old bike I knew it was time to seek out another marzocchi, and they didn't dissapoint.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn rocket marzocchi gran fondo 1 fork. Fox vanilla coil over rear shock, five inches front and rear! Hayes mechanical disc breaks work great riding four times a week for the last couple months.

Submitted by dean a Downhiller from europe

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    This fork is great much better than old manitou. Very plush, if its to soft you just pump it to your psi. It has rebound and lockout and yes 120 mm travel marzocchi rules

Weaknesses:    nope

Bottom Line:
great fork

Similar Products Used:   splice comp

Submitted by Nate a Weekend Warrior from oil city,pa,usa

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    it is the 120mm model w/ lockout: good fork for the value, good all-round for trail work, seems good on the bigger stuff, decent on smaller, rounder obstacles

Weaknesses:    OKAY on sharp, smaller obstacles. i accidentally left lockout on while decsending for a while and i didnt even notice!! the fork still seems to work pretty well

Bottom Line:
good fork for the money. good all-around. if i had the money, i probably buy a fox talas or some other fox fork, but i dont and the fork aint too bad anyway.

Favorite Trail:   trail made behind house

Purchased At:   mountain road cycles(fork stock on dawg deluxe)