Marzocchi All Mountain II Eta & Tas 2006 Front Shocks

3.88/5 (16 Reviews)

AM is between XC & FR therefore not intended for drops, jumps, and gaps. Intended for aggressive XC riding.

Submitted by GTfreefall a Weekend Warrior from PA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2011

Strengths:    Stiff, plush, and easy to set up. 32mm uppers and ETA make this fork a steal under $200

Weaknesses:    Heavy.

Bottom Line:
This fork represents everything Marzocchi stood for in the early years. Amazing control, ETA, and VF2 compression make this shock one of the best single crown on the market still. If you can find one that is in good condition, do not hesitate.... buy it.

Favorite Trail:   The dirt ones

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi XC600, XC700, Rockshox Pike, Rockshox Reba Race.

Bike Setup:   Trex 4300 disc - everything upgraded

Submitted by dwsteig a Cross Country Rider from Andreas, PA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2008

Strengths:    plush, strong, looks

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
More plush (when set up correctly) than any other fork I've ridden. Feels like more than 5 " .... that's what she said. Definitely worth $225. Resists torsional flex pretty well for a std QR. ETA rocks, very effective

Good all around fork for aggressive XC, trail riding. Probably not great for FR.

Favorite Trail:   Bob's option

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   Answer minute, other Bombers, Lefty

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT

Submitted by A a Racer from BC

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2007

Strengths:    jk

Weaknesses:    kj

Bottom Line:
jkkjkjjk

Similar Products Used:   jk

Bike Setup:   kj

Submitted by lukas i from london

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2007

Strengths:    wow comes back sooo nice, i love the forks for that,easy to pump up, the eta is nnice feature , plus lockout :D
good fork

Weaknesses:    the rebound adjustment at the bottom is really hard to twist

Bottom Line:
good fork but if you want too buy it new i dont think they are value ready, i mean yes they are a nice peace of gear but if you are paying more than £250 not worth it i got mine off ebay nearly new for £102 and if u can ger it under 250 you got urself a bargon , wonderfull fork :)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep it coming marzocchi

Favorite Trail:   esher

allmountain 2 forks
and some other crap

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Nova Scotia, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff front-to-back, torsionally and smooth after the break-in. The ETA is great on long, non-technical climbs. (It's nice to have full travel on the tech climbs.)

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustment knob fell off on the first ride to the corner store. Like previous reviews, rattle in the right leg for every impact large or small. Very distracting!

Bottom Line:
The Liquid came with a Black Super Air. It was a good fork
in fact it was the third bike in a row that came spec'd with a Black. All worked great. The (120mm)fork just never felt like it provided the steering stiffness or travel that the Liquid deserved. I thought before I tried a new bike that the Liquid deserved a longer travel(it's the 130mm model), stiffer fork.
After the rebound knob fell off(no one from Marz. Canada replied to my email asking how to get a new one) and 4 or 5 ride break-in rides, the fork delivers pretty much everything that I'd hoped it would.
I have to say the rattle is distracting as hell. It's impossible to have a quiet ride in the woods with all of the noise. I wonder if any of the earlier reviewers got theirs fixed. Please let me know if you did.
I'm pleased with the performance this fork provides on the rough and rooty trails that I ride up and bomb down. Shame about the rattle!

Favorite Trail:   Joyride

Purchased At:   Valley Stove and Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox and Manitou

Bike Setup:   '05 Trek Liquid. Stock except the normal replacements due to wear or breakage.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Bucharest, RO

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2007

Strengths:    Very strong fork, lots of travel, looks great

Weaknesses:    The right plastic bolt came right off after a few bumps

Bottom Line:
Very good fork, very confortable. Although this is not a fork for cross country, i have always wanted a good fork with lots of travel that i can adjust. By adjusting the air pressure inside i made it pretty soft so that when i am on the bike the fork compresses and becomes more like an xc fork, but by doing so you increase the negative travel which is great. A little bit noisy when the entire lenght of the suspention is used but you don't hear that when u're coming downhill fast. For uphill you can lock the fork at about 120mm and by doing so the climb is much easier. The fork does not become stiff, you still have suspension, although Marzocchi warns not to use the fork compressed downhill. There seems to be e problem but i can't be shure yet. I think the fork doesn't stay in the lockdown position. It does stay compresed at the beginning but it seems it looses compression. I am not shure yet because i don't use it too much compressed. I'll be back with an update, maybe after a first revision.

Purchased At:   AS Sport

Similar Products Used:   RST, Mozo

Bike Setup:   Hussar xc frame, Hayes HMX

Submitted by Jay a Downhiller from Burlington, WA, Skagit County

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    This fork seems to hold up great. I am a downhill/free rider and this fork is burley cross country. I have been hitting up to 6 or 7 foot drops and haven't had a single problem. I love how plush it is for coming down and how rigid you can make it for going up.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found any yet. Seems to work great.

Bottom Line:
I have found this fork to work great. I traded a friend for my Dirt Jumper 2 because I didn't like the stiffness and have had no problems whatsoever with this fork. It seems great and Marzocchi keeps building great stuff the whole way through.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   Traded A Friend

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 2 (kind of the same) and a Marzocchi Junior T (just similar because of the plushness)

Bike Setup:   2004 P.3 with 2006 Marzocchi All Mountain 2 fork, Salsa DH Moto bars (28'), Red E-Thirteen Bashguard, Odyssey Jim C. Pedals and a Sun Ditchwitch front rim.

Submitted by Cooch a Racer from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Strengths:    150mm travel, ETA lockout, full adjustability and easy to use. Also great looks, the gold ETA lockout looks fab!

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjust knob/screw is difficult to adjust.

Bottom Line:
A great all mountain fork. I was warned by my bike shop that you wouldn't be able to climb with this fork, as it changed the head angle too much - what complete crap! The ETA lockout drops the fork and returns the bike to full XC geometry. You can climb like a goat or sprint on the flat sections.

The 150mm of travel is awesome and plush. You can downhill this fork with full confidence. It's a blast! The fork is also very easy to climb with and super comfy for all day riding. It's not that heavy to be able to lift the front end for getting over obstacles or manualling.

I matched my forks with some Gold Hope Skewers, which go with the ETA adjuster perfectly. Bling-Bling!

Favorite Trail:   Daisy Hill

Purchased At:   Bike & Cycle Obsession

Similar Products Used:   Where do I start... Lots.

Bike Setup:   05 Giant NRS, full carbon racer.

Submitted by bucky a Weekend Warrior from escondido, ca

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    rides smooth

Weaknesses:    bit of a break in period, suggested preload air way off

Bottom Line:
I like the fork. Its a much smoother ride than the fox talas I had on my previous bike, a 2004 enduro. It took a few rides for it to really break in (like 5?), and now its quiet and takes the hits well. Im a big guy, at 260lbs, and Im only using about 25-30 psi for the preload. At 50 (the suggested) it was terrible, actually unrideable. The ETA also creeps back up a bit if the uphill is too bumpy.

I'm sure that if you leave the store and start riding big with it without a decent break in period its going to perform poorly. Hope I don't get that sound that everyone else has got, sounds terrible.

Favorite Trail:   noble canyon

Purchased At:   performance bike

Similar Products Used:   fox talas rl

Bike Setup:   2006 rocky mountain slayer 50 stock

Submitted by gazz ayton a Cross Country Rider from slc utah

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    oh my dont get me started. its the stickiest, tickiest piece of crap around! read down for the annoying tick. taken it to the shop 4 times. marzocchi says nothing is wrong. sounds like a freakin maracca on single track. marzocci-- eat dirt you lying dirt bags. so much for your so-called money back warantee. great bike from the headset back.

Bottom Line:
slayer 50 rocks
marzocchi all mountian 2 SUCKS
marzocchi support SUCKS

Purchased At:   came with rocky

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from big sky , montana

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2006

Strengths:    The ETA feature is nice...

Bottom Line:
This is an update to previous review. The tapping/knocking sound is coming from the right leg of the fork where the rebound adjust is. If I lower the fork oil in that leg enough, the sound goes away when riding (I spent over 8 hours rebuilding and tinkering with this fork and found this out by trial and error) but the rebound adjust stops working. Unacceptable. So, I have it set up with the oil level just high enough so I get SOME dampening, and not as much noise. Here is the kicker, though. All the bikes in the shop where I bought the bike that have this fork make the same noise! Some are worse than others, but mine started out not too bad but got worse. Marz USA says they know nothing about it and to send the fork in. I'm not going to, as there is something fundamentally wrong with the rebound adjust on the 150mm models (there are not many out there yet- Marzocchi is going to have issues as more of these 150mm forks hit the trails) and until the company gets it figured out, I'm gonna ride it and see what happens and maybe send it in in the winter. Don't Buy This Fork!

Submitted by mike buotte a Cross Country Rider from big sky, montana

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2006

Strengths:    not too many, so far

Weaknesses:    There is an annoying knocking sound coming from the fork at the top of its travel- when you hit a bump, it rattles like a beater old pickup truck. It is very distracting on the downhills, and noticeable on the climbs. It has been rebuilt twice already by a good tech with guidance/input from the factory, and they can't get the rattle to go away. Bummer. Also, there is a sticky feel at the top of travel, but maybe it will break in a bit. Also, I weigh 150lbs. and am thinking that maybe I need a lighter spring, as the fork feels as plush as a 2x4... 6" ought to feel a bit nicer.

Bottom Line:
Not too stoked- Marzocchi says to either live with the rattle (are you kidding me? On a brand new $2500 mountain bike? Christ...) or send the fork in and they will look at it..? And not ride for how long? A work in progress, and I will update as this goes on. If you are considering the Rocky Slayer, get the 70 model with the Fox fork...

Favorite Trail:   long, steep, technical

Purchased At:   Gallatin Alpine Sports

Similar Products Used:   Fox Float RL, '05- way nice fork

Bike Setup:   '06 Rocky Slayer 50- killer bike from the steering tube back

Submitted by kyle goodwin a Cross Country Rider from gainesville, FL. U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2006

Strengths:    It's BLACK and RED!! Super bad-ass! 32mm stanchions. Easy set up. The ETA is a treat. It feels strong. Marz is a great company making great, reliable product. I got this at a crash replacement price.

Weaknesses:    Bottom rebound cap fell off first ride. Kinda' dumb. A little sticky at the beginning of the stroke, might still be breaking in. A little thud at rebound, may need to tweak it some.

Bottom Line:
It's Marzocchi. Tough forks. The only reason I trashed a $700 fork prior, was I was doing stuff with it, it wasn't made to do. The All-Mtn.I or SL may be a little better ride, but I don't need that much travel, almost too many adjustments--I don't want to think about my fork that much--I want to ride. Plus, the II is $200 less. I wanted a 130mm, beefy fork, that I could believe in. I set the air for the riding I'll be doing, and I go. The ETA is wonderful, especially when your air is set light. It compresses, and you climb tight. Great thinking! It's BLACK and RED! Killer! This fork on my rig is a dream.
I reduce one pepper due to the lame turn cap that came off, and I hope the stickiness and clunk goes away. Otherwise, top notch.

Favorite Trail:   Belleview

Purchased At:   Marzocchi

Similar Products Used:   Marathon SL--trashed it. Z2 X-Fly--sold it. Too many Manitou to count---never again!

Bike Setup:   Jamis XLT 2.0 with Swinger 4way. Full XTR drive train, Race Face up top.

Submitted by Kyle Dempster from Inverness, Scotland

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2006

Strengths:    Looks kinda cool, ETA lockdown ia amazing...Thats about it

Weaknesses:    Not plush atall, jerky feel. Went down a little drop and one of the top caps fell off. Really flexy aswell

Bottom Line:
Okay fork for xc (Maybe a little too much travel), Guess its a good price. Too jerky for any freeride in my opinion, definately not a fork to be used for jumping...

Favorite Trail:   BMX Track!

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Splice, Felt 05 All Mountain 3's, Drop Off 4's and 04 Dirt Jumper 3's

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Chandler, AZ

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Stiffness, plush, absolutely beautiful, and of course its a Marzocchi

Weaknesses:    None, and don't expect any

Bottom Line:
This review is actually for Marzocchi's budget AM-2, not the All mountain-2 which is a much more exspensive( but even better I'm sure )fork. This fork shares the same chassis with its more exspensive brothers, but has less adjustability and cheaper internals, and is only 130mm. Don't let any of that fool you into thinking this isnt a great fork. It is still adjustable for compression, rebound and preload. This fork is very plush, and is amazingly stiff compared to the MXC that I had before, which is a pretty stiff little fork in it's own right. I have noticed that Marzocchi seems to be way off on their air pressure recomendations. I wiegh 230 and have my fork preload set at 30psi, which is about half as much air as they recommend for my wieght. I tried the fork at 50psi and it felt like a pogo stick. I know forks tend to have a different feel on a hardtail, than on full suspension, so maybe that is what's happening. Since this fork does not use open bath damping, it seems to make a little more noise, when moving through its travel, but who cares about that, right. This fork does what it is designed to do, and at a remarkable price. You also can't beat the all black stealth look.

Favorite Trail:   anything technical