Marzocchi All Mountain I 2006 Front Shocks

4.39/5 (18 Reviews)

AM is between XC & FR therefore not intended for drops, jumps, and gaps. Intended for aggressive XC riding.

Submitted by plibicki a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2011

Strengths:    Tunability, durability, damping range good for allmountain riding, ETA, black M shaped arch...

Weaknesses:    Useless TST knob on top of right leg, travel adjust knob fell off from the bottom of the left leg, rebound knob still hanging on...

Bottom Line:
It looks GOOD ;] makes me enjoy downhill sections more.
One might complain that it has the TST closed damping cartridge with the strange rubber bladder but it still gets the job done. The TST compression settings are a bit of an enigma because of the useless knob though. And you have to get used to a clunking noise when your riding slow and over e.g. some rocks. Point the bike down and go faster and you will not care about the noise anymore ;)
ETA - works fine and helps a lot on steep climbs. Don't know why they ditched it...
Travel adjust - you need it only once and it is to go full 150mm.
Oil change is a blast, but don't trust the Marzocchi oil level chart. Use 50cc for right damper leg (the one with the strange bladder part) but only around 160cc for the left leg to make the fork feel closer to a true Bomber - remembering that the air assist adds progressiveness. Using more than 165cc will prevent the fork from reaching full travel.

Favorite Trail:   all kinds of trails, rooty and rocky are best

Purchased At:   second hand

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Tora 318, Spinner Enduro, Manitou R7, RockShox SID '06, Marzocchi MX Pro ETA, Marzocchi Z5 air

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 2 '07, used with a 203mm brake rotor.

Submitted by kshizel a Cross Country Rider from NW Arkansas, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2009

Strengths:    It appears very strong. I'm 210lbs and this thing takes my aggressive riding and frequent drops (3ft++) without problems.

Weaknesses:    Wish it came with a remote, it is slightly cumbersome switching the TST and ETA as much as I'd like too.

Bottom Line:
This shock changed my life. It came with the bike which I bought from a friend and the Marzocchi All Mountain 1 has been the only part of the bike in the 2+ years I've been riding it that has not broken or given me any trouble, with the exception that the rebound adjustment screws on the bottom which fell off over the duration. It also put up with the past owners abuse, he said he paid about $600 for it new.

Favorite Trail:   Slaughter Pen

Bike Setup:   GT 4.0 iDrive

Submitted by michael cafaro a Weekend Warrior from staten island

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2007

Strengths:    Light, strong, versatile

Weaknesses:    small bump sensitivity .

Bottom Line:
The fork was working okay at first, but soon stopped responding to various adjustments of pressure and lost all small bump sensitivity. I say working okay because I was the lucky owner of a 2004 Z1 freerdide that I regretted selling after this purchase. Changing the oil has always been easy on these forks, but on this fork it was a nightmare because you had to take this funky bladder out of the air side and not to mention a bottom bracket tool to remove the cap off the coil side. Not being able to change the oil I sent the fork to Marzocchi and had them put Z150 spring setup in the air side eliminating the bladder all together. Let me just say it was 200$ well spent. I now have a totally new fork that works as good or better than my old z1 freeride. If you are in the market for the sought after Z150 but can't find one, buy an All Mountain fork on closeout and send it out for the z150 setup. I hardly write reviews,but wanted to share my experience with those who have lost faith with Marzocchi after purchasing an all Mountain 1 2 or three. Happy Trails

Favorite Trail:   HO CHI MIN

Similar Products Used:   Z1 freeride, Z3 light,

Bike Setup:   2005 turner six pack DHX Coil, XT all around,Race Face stem bars, seatpost. Kenda Nevegal 2.3 tires.

Submitted by Ross Macaskill a Cross Country Rider from Glasgow

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability, smooothness, TAS

Weaknesses:    Other than crappy decals, none!

Bottom Line:
So far no worries with any noises or leaks. The adjustability works well for me. My Orange Sub5 recommends a 125mm MAX fork length so the TSA came in handy although the fork didn't go down to the advertised 125mm but an extra 5mm hasn't noticable affected things. The TST is also great as I commute 15+ miles every day (50% road 50% smooth trail) and then usually go to some local trails or do some of the West Highland Way most weekends and it's coped fine with everything so far. I picked up a small stone chip in the right leg 2 months ago when I crashed but so far it's held the air in. Very smooth action that inspires loads of confidence. The only downsides would be 1)crappy decals as the stickers are already peeling and 2)the sharp brake dive but in saying that I am running M4's on 200mm disks so I can't grumble.

Favorite Trail:   WHW

Purchased At:   Evans

Similar Products Used:   Manitou x-vert.

Bike Setup:   Orange sub5, xt, hope Mono M4

Submitted by Sam Court a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2007

Strengths:    Look good, I really like the all black stealth look, plush (once into the travel), adjustability, pretty stiff for such a long single crown fork. not too bad on teh eight side either. I have the ones with travel adjust. Seem to track pretty well. ETA is usefull on super steep climbs and all of the adjstments make a notable difference. Ais assit means that you don't need to swap spings etc

Weaknesses:    Hmmmm, this is where it starts to go wrong:

The post mount system didn't work very well - I had to file away part of my Saint Cailipers to move it over far enough to stop it rubbing on the disc.

Too much adjustability - I never use the travel adjust (mainly because its a pain - the 07 ones are better).

Annoying clunk (from new) - turns out the travel reduction adjuster was popping out slightly under compression. Also topped out.

Some flex - especially with a big rotor.

TST system slightly pointless - mine just stayed in DH mode and it is a bit annoying to adjust with gloves on.

Possinly a bit tall for its travel.

Bottom Line:
I loved these forks to start with - thought they where pretty plush, lots of travel and adjustability and not too bad on weight. But soon discovered, I don't need all of the features - and they cause problems. Mt TST system and rebound cartridge have popped - going to be 7 weeks till they are back in stock at Windwave the importer. Simply not good enough on a top end fork - if I'd paid full price, I'd be livid.

Also the air system is very sticky - I don't think air is Marzocchi's forte - they should stick to coil and oil. I'm going to change them for some 07 Vanilla R's - better support, lighter and no silly functions to break

Favorite Trail:   Dry, dusty....

Purchased At:   Chainreaction Cyles

Similar Products Used:   Where do I start - Vanilla 130R's, 01 Z1 MCR's, 03 Z1 SL's, 66RC's, Pyslos (absolute rubbish), Pikes, Shermans etc

Bike Setup:   Orange Sub Zero (just about to be replaced by a Chameleon), Saint brakes, Hone cranks X-9 running gear, Hope XC hubs on XM321's, Easton finishing kit, Rasta King headset etc.

Submitted by Paul Gilbert a Weekend Warrior from Philippines

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    Looks, durability, functions, easy settings, provides suspension when needed.

Weaknesses:    Hmmm.... hmmm... none so far

Bottom Line:
Just read the manual to set your specific needs, provides the suspension when needed. Looks cool and tough at any given terrain, durable cause most of my forks are made by Marzocchi never had some problems with them. Easy to maintain... really a great value for your money.

Favorite Trail:   any... as long as it rocks!

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi bomber z1, fox vanilla RLC, rockshox revelation.

Bike Setup:   All Mountain.... bla.. bla.. bla..

Submitted by Blake from Winnipeg

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2007

Strengths:    - Pretty smooth ride
- lots of adjustment (ETA, compression, rebound, travel adjust, preload)
- fairly tough
- sharp looking

Weaknesses:    - noticeable flex (especially with an 8" rotor)
- TST (compression) cartridge hadd to be replaced within a year
- a bit expensive for what it is
- some controls awkward or difficult to use
- leaked a lot of oil, all at once, for no discernible reason
- made an annoying topping out sound for a few months

Bottom Line:
First off, I should mention that I have the 110 / 130 mm travel model. For whatever reason, the 150 was not available in Canada at the time I bought the fork.

The good: the ride is buttery smooth, and quite adjustable. I've used the bike for just about everything: all degrees of XC; DH, and urban (stairs, 3' + drops, etc). The ETA makes a huge difference for climbing, which is needed, as this fork has a pretty tall axle to crown height. Marz was pretty quick with the warranty replacement of the TST.

The not so good: The TAS (110 - 130 adjust) is a pain to operate, and after one attempt, I just left set at 130mm. If I did mostly XC, I would use it more, I suppose. The TST (compression) sometimes has a vague feel, and the cartrige needed replacement after about a year of riding.

As I use mech disc brakes, I installed an 8" rotor for DH. I know the fork twists a lot, as I can hear the caliper rubbing the rotor almost every time I make a sudden turn.

The fork was somewhat pricey (around 800.00 Cdn + tax), and that was with a bit of a discount, too. There is no pedaling platform of any sort, which is a bit disappointing, considering the cost.

So, overall, while the fork rides fairly well, and has never left me stranded, I'm not sure I can justify giving it a great rating. I'll say 3 out of 5 for both the value and the overall rating.

Next time? I think I'm going to run with a Pike 454. Almost bought one instead of the AM1 late in the 2005 season, but had no opportunity to test ride it.

Favorite Trail:   Ingolf

Similar Products Used:   Black 100/120, Rock Shox SID 100

Bike Setup:   FS - 6" travel

Submitted by All Mountain a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2006

Strengths:    Very plush. Nice tall fork with a good stiff crown. Great stiffness for a QR fork, with reasonable low speed compression damping. Tracks well through the rocks and doesn't skip a beat.

Weaknesses:    A lever on the TST dial would be nice, and would make it easier to turn with gloves on.

Bottom Line:
I'd recommend this fork for riders who like to ride the trails on the aggressive side. As it's QR, not a fork for one who likes to get in air time. If you like coil plushness and going down, then consider this fork.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   RS Revelation

Bike Setup:   Titus Motolite, RP23 shock, Mavic 819 rims

Submitted by Super-Clyde a Weekend Warrior from SoCal

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    Pretty stiff for a QR fork. 150mm of usable travel. ETA minimizes the need for compromise between climbing geometry and descending geometry. Air/coil is a good combo that greatly diminishes the possible need for a stiffer coil spring. Lots of tuning options. Aesthetically pleasing.

Weaknesses:    Some degree of brake dive depending on how much air preload you are willing to live with.

Bottom Line:
My new favorite fork. I have always read and heard that Marzocchi and plushness are synonomous and now I know why. This is one bump eating mofo which makes it easier to carry speed over rough spots in the trail.

With 150mm of travel, this is the first fork I've had that I did not miss the travel I had given away to sag. In fact, you can actually feel the benefit when the wheel stays in contact with the trail over potholes, ruts, dips, etc.

They have a remote available for the TST ( 5 position preset damping control and one is compression lockout), but I'd rather have one for the ETA. I probably won't cough up the $105 for the remote as it just isn't that important to my riding style and I only see myself ever using two, maybe three of the settings.

But Marz didn't just build these for me, so I don't mind that there are some features that I won't likely take advantage of. I see it as being very versatile if you choose to do some fiddling. I'll find my own preferred settings and then leave it except for the ETA which I'll use frequently.

The only thing I can't comment on is durability. If this thing holds up, I'll be sold on the brand. Great match for the Giant Reign frames that so many are choosing to buy and build themselves.

For the price I paid, I have to give up 5 and 5.

Favorite Trail:   Lumpy ones

Purchased At:   BikeAngel

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute 1:00, Cannondale Headshock

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 3, Race Face cranks, Avid 8" discs, XO twist shifters with X7 RD, XT hubs with Mavic 317 and 717 rims.

Submitted by Christoph a Weekend Warrior from Switzerland

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, predictable travel. eats up the trail. ETA=nice feature for steep climbs. Stiff. TST, I use it mostly on all mountain (middle positiion).

Weaknesses:    TST knob is a bit fudgy to work, sometimes stick.

Bottom Line:
Very good fork. TST should come with lever. If rear shock is up to the fork (150 mm of travel)there is no sweeter ride!

Favorite Trail:   ulmitzer

Similar Products Used:   Fox talas

Bike Setup:   Koba reamol (www.koba.ch),sram X.0, schlumpf crankset-check it out: www.schlumpf.ch, DT Swiss SSD 210 shock, DT Swiss 240s wheels, roloff chain (www.rohloff.de), shimano PDM 540 Pedals, Magura Louise FR brakes

Submitted by Sam a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    Loads of plush travel, ETA is really useful for going up (as they are long forks and its better that faffing with the Fox or RockShox version). TST (although it stays on DH mode most of the time), Stiff for a long travel QR fork - there's no rotor rub round corners etc. The price is awesome as well - £320 for CRC....can't complain at that. I like the adjustable travel (although don't use it!) as if I could be bothered, I could shorted the travel.

Weaknesses:    My fork/hub combo is a pain with the post mount (using a Hope XC front hub) and I've had to file the caliper holes to enlarge them so that I can get the caliper across enough to stop id rubbing on the rotor. I've also for a knock when the fork rebounds, it sounds like its topping out, but its not. I haven't had it sorted yet as I don't wnat to not be riding (I'll wait till the weather is real grim) and I only paid £320 for them.

Reducing the travel is a pain as you need to let all of the air out and then pump it back up.

Bottom Line:
Fantastic forks - super plush and seem to take everything that you through at them (I've been jumping with mine and they hacen't complained yet). The price was what attarcted me to them combined with various features, some of which are good, others not so!

I like Marzocchis, I like the way they feel (don't like RS, they always feel a bit 'wooden' and dead) and understand how they work internally so can strip them etc. The knock when rebounding to full travel is a bit irratating - if I'd paid £500 for then I'd be savage. But for now I'll live with it!

Favorite Trail:   Anything dry and dusty

Purchased At:   CRC

Similar Products Used:   Various forms of Z1's (from the very first to the latest!), Fox Vanillas (the 07 Vanilla R's just lost out to these!). Manitou Blacks (hopeless!) etc.

Bike Setup:   16 inch Orange Sub Zero, Easton finishing kit, Saint brakes, Hone cranks, X9 shifting, King headset, Hope XC hubs and E-13 bash ring.

Submitted by Preston Stempler a Cross Country Rider from Fort Valley, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2006

Strengths:    Beautiful ultra-plush ride. TST, ETA, offer plenty of options for different styles of climbing.

Weaknesses:    Durability, durability, durability!

Bottom Line:
I have never ridden a more plush predictable fork; it is truly amazing to ride. The front wheel almost never leaves the ground giving fantastic control. That being said, I do not like, nor do I recommend this fork to anyone except a bicycle mechanic. I fell and scratched the inner tube and all the air bled out along with some oil. With this type of damage, you can either replace the steerer tube, crown inner leg unit(which is an expensive proposition), or sand and epoxy the gouges and, in my case, replace the seals (and it still is leaking down). In any case, to design a fork that is this vulnerable to average trail damage is poor design and planning. Shock boots might have prevented this from occurring, but they are out of fashion. The second unrelated issue is that the oil is aerating and messing up the damping, filling up the lung and blocking the passage of air in the leg (that is my poor understanding of it). Apparently, Marzocchi is now experimenting with different low-foaming oils. Bottom line: I don't expect to spend $650 for an extremely vulnerable fork that wouldn't work right even if I hadn't scraped it. If it continues to leak down, I will buy the steerer tube, crown and inner leg unit and sell it to someone who has the time and desire to mess around with this tempermental (albeit amazing-riding) fork.

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6, All Mountain 1, Fox DHX air

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Oxford

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustability, ETA slam down for climbing, performance. TST used fully and partially open works well.
This fork suites aggressive cross country riders who are looking for a long term servicable fork.

Weaknesses:    Durability of certain parts: Air seal failure, TAS & Rebound adjusters fell off and I was charged for replacements under garuntee. Product support(Windwave)is very weak - took over 2 months to get air seal replaced. Disconcerting knock from re-bound every time I hit a bump the size of a tree root or bigger. Cannot get full travel easily irrespective of using low air pressure. Product Weight = cuase they use durable components?? Need to buy a low pressure shock pump.

Bottom Line:
This is a 10 month follow up report.
I am (was) a big fan of Marzocchi forks for their legendry reliability / serviceability / performance, but I have to say that my experience has marred my opinion over the past months of use. Having said this now I have got most of the issues above sorted it is working very well and is very compliant.

I am unwilling to loose my forks for another 8 weeks to sort out the noise made from the rebound even under garunttee(see AM1 reviews 2005 made by others), and as I do not believe this is a critical fault I guess I will have to live with this. Furthermore, I am not encouraged by others expreience with dealing with Marz.

I have not seen many other forks with a similar slam down fork height adustment the same as the ETA, which is needed -as it is a tall fork and was one of the main reasons for buying this - but my MX comp beats this fork on value, durability etc.

If (when) the ETA breaks I will re consider my opinion.

This is not one of Marzocchis best forks, neither is is worse than some other products out there - just over priced and with lousy support service.
If you can get one for half the retail price then I think it is a good deal - nuff said.

Favorite Trail:   7 Stanes Scotland

Similar Products Used:   MX Comp

Bike Setup:   Ventana Saltamontes 5 - 6" travel etc

Submitted by john holmes a Weekend Warrior from kansas

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2006

Strengths:    filthy colour, adjustable like another, 168 lockdown

Weaknesses:    it ay cheap and it ay the best.(me likes to av the best)

Bottom Line:
These bad hoes eat bumps like they're dead hungry. I ay never had a bad crash with these cuz they save me every time with their smooth controlled action. 'Adjustability' should be redefined as All mountain 1. The eta gets me to the top of the slope right on time and the 150mm gets me down in a smoothy stylee fashion that me pals are jealous about. Bottom line is buy these forks and ya girl will be lookin for a new choppa cuz yorn'll be spendin too much time in the woods!

Favorite Trail:   axe mark

Purchased At:   robdog's

Similar Products Used:   manitou blacks, judy c, white brothers (the best)

Bike Setup:   Giant VD 2 wiv a lot of top spec Sh*t ya know.

Submitted by Ryan R from Long Island, NY

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    130 to 150 travel adjusment is great excellant for when I have to crank the fork down for more relaxed riding. The TST compreesion adjustment is nice lets you go from full lockout to full open. Great rebound adjusment very sensisitive took some time to set it right. Strong and Stiff the fork never wanders off line and lets me easily decend and go over what I want with no flexing or creaking at all. ETA is a godsend on a long travel fork, Especailly when the fork is set at full 150 and a technical climb is the next area of the trail your coming too! Super reliable Marzzocchi performance and rebuilding the fork is easy, great company no troublef from them ever. Bomb proof build from all their forks. I've owned a few!

Weaknesses:    Little on the expensive side for this fork, could be a little on the less expensive. TST is not on the fly at all. You need to remove all the air pre-load and then change the travel, finally repressurize the the air preload again once changes are made

Bottom Line:
Awesome fork on a great bike from a very reliable company I wouldn;t even think of buying a fork from another company . So happy with this fork, complements my Reign so well. Handles anythng from basic trailriding to some light Freeirde stuff to. The adjustablity is remarkable and the toughness of the fork is as good as thier full DH and FR offerings. When my Reign was being built there was only three forks that came to mind, the All Mountain 1, Z1 Freeride Lite, and the Fox 36 RC2 Talas. The fox was way off the hook when it came to price, the Z1 was the almost winner but I decided to stick with a standard skewer instead of going to the 20mm Thur-Axel so the All Mountain 1 was the winner in the end. Best choice for my Reign right now. Since I'm trying to keep it as a Long Travel Trailbike with some Freeride involved too. Great for would totally suggest it for a longtravel frame .

Favorite Trail:   Glaicer Ridge

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Jr. T, Super T, Z1 Freeride, 66VF MX Comp, and Shiver DC

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 1 Built from Scratch with lots of goodies.

bb30 2x10 to 1x10 or new crank for all mountain ride i need a chainguide and guard.

Hi I have a cannondale claymore and it has an fsa 386 2x10 crankset with 3 mounting bolts. Well I keep droping my chain so i need a chainguide and id like to go 1x10 as well and save some weight, but I dont know where to start, should i get a new crank or can i make this work, id like to go to a li ... Read More »

I may now own the ultimate all mountain bike (in my opinion)

will post a full review when I ride it this weekend. To summarize: full coil (front and rear, I am not a fan of air but I don't want to get into it), 170mm+ front and 7 inch rear travel XX1 1 x 11 drivetrain 32 lbs 15 ounces WITH flat pedals on and everything else on (ready to ride) not ... Read More »

What All mountain bike Should I get

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I think I'm going to go with the Pivot Firebird or Canfield The One. I can get a good price on a custom build kit on either one and these bike dealers are the closest to me.Read More »

All Mountain 26" hardtail I can buy today?

I need a new frame for my son's bike, 26" hardtail with an ett of 24"-~24.5" and a seat tube length of 18"~20". Normally I'd look at dropping a few hundred $$ at Bike Island but they're sold out of that size. He's a big kid (6' 1"/220lbs, 22 yo) that loves to thrash his bike so I like to buy heavi ... Read More »

Guess I'm going to be trying more of this all-mountain thing...

Well I pulled the trigger on my AM bike project yesterday. Got a super good deal on an 09 NS Surge frameset. Getting a Cane Creek 40 head set put on before I go pick it up, so I'll get pics then. It's black with gold lettering. I'm really liking the slacker geometry and steel frame material of ... Read More »