Manitou Travis Single Intrinsic 2006 Front Shocks

3.65/5 (20 Reviews)

180mm or 203mm

Submitted by Ciaran Mauro a Downhiller from St. Helena, CA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2010

Strengths:    Travel, Weight, Smooth, STIFF

Weaknesses:    Adjustment, Life Span, Not the most ramp up at max compression

Bottom Line:
I traded the guy I bought my frame from my old Zocchi 55 for this because the frame needed 1.5" Steertube, which I've found is amazingly stiff and responsive. I would have no problem hitting sketchy tech DH with it. So I like the fork, I really do, but it has just been rebuilt and is still has play. Either the bushings weren't replaced, or they're wearing down already, beats me. Manitou's don't last long compared to Zocchis, and even Fox's. It has a great feel and is nice and soft for DH, but even with compression at max I can still bottom out over drops, and I'm not heavy at 141lbs. I wish it had Hi/Lo Compression or better yet, an Air Pre-Load, but that's like the Intrinsic which has a bad history of the cartridges locking up, so I'd rather have a fork that works but isn't my favorite, than one that doesn't and is. Very stiff, and looks good, anodizing stays on, and Thru-Axle design is great.

Favorite Trail:   Lower 4H, Dave's Place FR

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 66, Marzocchi 55, Marzocchi Super T, Manitou Dorado Pro

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse 7Point7, Manitou Travis Single 180 TPC, Fox Vanilla RC

Submitted by Knotzytkiller a Downhiller from surrey

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2009

Strengths:    Soft and cushy,excellent handling & great for jumps.

Weaknesses:    Not so hot for big drops my forks came apart @ internals at whistler and manitou said it was Tridents fault and they were`nt reasembled correctly when I sent them in the 1st time under warrenty... I read on the web that loctight is supposed to cure this but what do I know about forks? Not much.....

Bottom Line:
I had to re post after my hasty comments below I don`t want to bash these to hard when my facts are`nt 100%.
I think if I can get Trident to use loctight on the internals they sould be fine for dirt jumping and some aggressive crosscountry & freeriding but big drops???? do more digging these suckers have a bad rap.
I just picked up dual crown 888 200mm secondhand and can set my mind at ease for as far as big drops go...

Favorite Trail:   Freight Train

Purchased At:   South shore cycles

Bike Setup:   King Fisher1

Submitted by Knotzykiller a Downhiller from Vancouver, B.C

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2009

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    They Blow...

Bottom Line:
I have the Manitou travis intrinsic 180mm They have been sent in once under warrenty and customized to my weight after weaking, I took them to whistler last weekend and they blew halfway through my day what a waist of time... Nothing crazy maybe five foot drops.
These jerks really should let it be known these forks are only good for soft trail riding or maybe traveling to the corner store for milk. Even then they will slowly weaken for sure!

Favorite Trail:   Freight Train

Purchased At:   South Shore Cycle

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher 2006 King Fisher1
Stock, King Earl pedels (The best)

Submitted by Fernando Villacorte a Downhiller from San Diego

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2008

Strengths:    I have both the Travis 180mm and the Travis 203mm Single crowns. The 180 has the Intrinsic and the 203 has TPC+ only with the quick releases. First the 180 is one very plush fork and all the performance claims from Manitou are spot on. This fork takes a little time to set up, but once I had everyting dialed in it soaked up most everyting, but really big hits. I had a little trouble with the rebound, because it was a little slow.
Now the 203 with TPC+ only was a whole different fork! This came with medium sping and when I first took it out for the a test ride I thought I made a big mistake purchasing this fork. The fork was so soft and it kept bottoming out! I purchased a x-firm spring and installed it. What a huge difference! The performance difference was night and day. I prefer the TPC+ only over the Intrinsic, because set up was fast and this fork rocked over everything I threw at it. Even when I screwed up this forked saved me. Super plush fork and with TPC+ the adjustments were quick and easy.

Weaknesses:    The 180's blue rebound adjustment know fell off and was nver to be found. It took Manitou 5 weeks to get me a new knob. It takes some time to set up fork until I got it just right.
The 203's medium fork spring is way too soft if you weight 180lbs like me. Also the quick releases loosened up a couple of times causing the hub to have some lateral play. I just added a little more preload to the QR's and that solved the problem . Overall both forks performed exceptional.

Bottom Line:
Both forks are excellent values, but I love that 203mm Travis single crown. The 203 is my favorite fork of all time. I would recommend these forks to anyone who wants a long travel single crown fork. E-mail me if you have any questions.

Favorite Trail:   xrrsyzn@aol.com

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Manitou X-Vert carbon Triple clamps, Manitou Durado, Marzocchi Shiver DC and SC, Marzocchi Monster T.

Bike Setup:   TREK Session 77, mostly stock except for 1.5 Chris King Headset, Saint 203mm disk brakes and Saint rear derailer.

Submitted by Russell a Downhiller from Boise

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2007

Strengths:    Super plush, great bottom out resistance, strong as hell

Weaknesses:    A little bit heavy, stripped the 20mm axle but its still works fine.

Bottom Line:
I have heard a lot of crap about manitou forks but I have 2 bikes with them and have had no problems. The travis feels way better than the 66 rc2x. I am a very abusive rider and these have held up great!!!

Favorite Trail:   Rockstar

Purchased At:   Pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 66 rc2x, junior t, marzocchi exr pro, manitou stance blunt, marzocchi dj 2

Bike Setup:   Trek Session 77, Transition parts

Submitted by Gravity Assist a Downhiller from El Centro CA,

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2007

Strengths:    Much more rigid then your normal, run of the mill, single crowns. It is very plush, gets plusher with every ride, does bar spins pretty nice.. over all a great freeride fork. can handle light to moderate downhill very effectively as well.. Also has an integrated 8 inch post mount for your brakeson it, as opposed to their normal 6 inch integrated post mount.

Weaknesses:    Not a whole lot of weaknesses other then Manitou's horrible reputation for putting out defective products.
However,The fork does what it was designed for very effectively... True Gravity Junkey's and Downhillers will probably not like this fork a whole lot, best to stay with a triple...
Manitou needs to stop naming their forks after a dude.

Bottom Line:
This fork is underated... it is not given the credit it deserves at all.

First off, I like the adjustments on it, as well as the re-do of the stantion works as opposed to the Shermans, 34mm stantions, a wider profile, an 8-inch integrated brake guide, and over all better handling and sensitivity.

I'm not exactly sure on rather or not a 1.5 steeror tube is a just another marketing ploy or not, but I can honestly say that it is noticably stiffer then the marzocchi 66's, and a little bit more then the standard Totems; You can't really tell the difference until you desend down some rugged garbage to see what I'm talking about.

I have to honestly say that I'm impressed with this one over the others, aspecially their 203mm single intrinsic version! I demo'd that thing, and it definately desimates all long travel single crowns, ( and some triple crowns)! The mere fact that Manitou put out a single crown fork with that much travel that can take everything without flexing and chattering all to hell down the runs is better than anything I've tried from anyone else!(in that particular class of forks)

Not impressed with the over all performance with the totems, and other then the 66's inpeckable tolerance to blunt force trama, its a little harsh on the runs, even their most adjustable shock is a pain.

I haven't put this fork through complete hell yet, only 5 and 6 foot drops so far, will update later,

NOTE: I am rating the single 180mm TPC+ primarily, as well as the intrinsic. The 203mm intrinsic was tested demmo only, didn't want to get one because I keep hearing about them blowing up... Manitou's TPC+ technology has always been good. They've came a long way with their SPV/ Intrinsic dampening, a lot better then it used to be, but still a little iffy from my perspective.

I've never had anything from Manitou Fail or blow up on me, but lots of people have, and the majority of their remarks and ratings are consistant with each others. I must have just been one of the lucky ones... My suggestion is that they need to fire the vast majority of their work force for not properly assembling half of their market margine, and get it right. Because if they could produce a fork like this every single time, this fork would be taken more seriously...

If I were you, I'd give it a shot befor the others... the performance to cost ratio cannot be beat!

Favorite Trail:   Anderson truck, Corral & Nobal Canyons, Fontana

Similar Products Used:   Manitou sherman, Marzocchi 66 ,RV,RC,RC2X rock shocks totem, Fox 36, 40 RC2.

Bike Setup:   Jamis Diablo, Travis single 180mm TPC+, FSA Gravity, Maxxis minion, mobster, azonic outlaw, XTR,saint, bla bla bla...

Submitted by Matt Savage a Downhiller from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2006

Strengths:    The usual: Stiff, Plush, good looking for having a man's name

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever

Bottom Line:
The fork exceeds ALL expectations! I have been strictly Manitou for the last 5 years, but even I didn't expect this fork to be this good. Unless you're racing World Cup DH, who needs a triple crown?! This fork is a Marzocchi KILLER! 66 and 888 have nothing on it!

I weigh 200 in gear, installed a firm spring, 4 clicks in on compression. the fork ramps perfectly in about the last 20% of stroke. I have nothing negative to say about this fork. My only request would be the QR20 system, mine has the old style pinch bolts.

I also have the 180mm version w/TPC+, but I haven't ridden it yet. I'm going to put that on a Scott Nitrous frame when I get one!

Favorite Trail:   Leif Ericcson

Purchased At:   Ebay!

Similar Products Used:   66sl and light, 888rc, Boxxer Team

Bike Setup:   2005 Scott High Octane, 203mm Travis single w/TPC+, Swinger 6way, Saint Brakes, Diabolous X-type cranks, Mavic 321 rims on WTB hubs

Submitted by Ridefaster a Weekend Warrior from Massachusetts - USA

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2006

Strengths:    Has unbeatable plushness. On my first ride, it was insanly plush...then, after some drops and trailriding it became plusher than the newer RockShox and Foxes that I'd tried. I have the 1.5 version and it's pretty stiff for a single crown. I like it.
Manitou customer service is great.
All adjustments actually work (unlike older Manitous)Intrinsic damping is pretty good.
Came with a near perfect spring for my weight.

Weaknesses:    Manitou has a reputation for bad forks.It's true, my Stance was broken on my brand new bike when I got it. But, I did get a spankin' new Travis for basically nothing.
Leaves a bit more oil than other forks I've owned/tried.
Stickers - need something more creative.

Bottom Line:
At first, I ran the bottom out resistance at it's plushest setting, but with NE's flat landings, I was bottoming on 3-5' drops. I have since crancked it to ramp up, and so far, no complaints.

Don't know about durability yet.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods

Purchased At:   Western Cycle

Similar Products Used:   '05 Stance 170mm - '05 Reba Team - Fox...

Bike Setup:   2005 Gary Fisher KingFisher 2. Now with TRAVIS!

Submitted by Michael Lopez a Downhiller from Phoenix AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2006

Strengths:    Rediculously strong for a single crown fork, eats up dropoffs and transitions like a triple crown.

Weaknesses:    It may take drops like a triple crown, but it sure isn't as stiff as one. A good downhill course will bare this forks weakness. Freeride at best.

Bottom Line:
Bad azz fork for freeride, the best single crown fork I've ever ridden aside from the sherman. The intristic dampening takes a little getting use to... more adjustments than the shermin... not to bad at all. Its stiffness is margined to handle light DH runs; nothing extreme... you losers should have known better then to do a 150 foot gap on any fork less than a double crown. this fork is intermediate to advanced Freeride at best... a fork for the rest of us...( Is it a great fork, YES/ is it the strongest fork NO)DUH! Tip for all you smart guys: if your going to go completely nuts, you better prepare for it the right way... do the reseach, and pick and choose the RIGHT fork for your sanity level. and don't bash products out of stupidity and ignorance. Thank you, have a nice day...

Favorite Trail:   any one I can find.

Purchased At:   ebay.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Sherman breakout, slyder, dorado, Marzocchi dropoff. Fox 40

Bike Setup:   I have so many bikes its rediculous...

Submitted by Nick a Downhiller from Hamburg, New York

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    most everything, plush, good tpc rebound adjustment... looks cool, smooth over downhill stuff

Weaknesses:    cartridge was messed up when i got it and theres a sag about 1.5 inches when i push down, it sticks

Bottom Line:
its a good fork, just make sure it aint broken when you get it and expect to have little stupid things wrong with it that you try and try again to fix and they just keep commin back

Favorite Trail:   anywhere where there be riding

Purchased At:   came on the bike

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi 66

Bike Setup:   05 king fisher, travis, other stuff

Submitted by brad a Downhiller from milwaukee,wi,usa

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    everything this fork sucks, this fork blew up on my first trip to the local freeride park, i sent it in got it back and it blew the first ride out with it "warrentied", manitou sucks dont buy these forks

Bottom Line:
this fork sucks, if it any was any worse it would say made in china not california, this is the worst fork ever

Favorite Trail:   whitnall

Similar Products Used:   boxxer.

Bike Setup:   session 77, truvativ box guide,kendas,new rear gear

Submitted by Dan a Downhiller from Winchester, England

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2006

Strengths:    smooth action, looks good, 180mm travel on single crown

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
i got these to replace the knackered old sherman breakouts that were on my bike, the first thing i noticed when i got them weas how good they look, once fitted i took them for a test run, straight out of the box they are very plush, there is some stiction but after a good thrashing this is now gone.
on my local DH trails these were great! they just took in everything, keeping the front wheel glued to the trail.
i have heard a lot of people say they don't like these forks because the service requirements are too much, the manual simply states that the oil levels should be checked every 4 to 6 weeks, (which is hardly a massive task) and the oil should be changed evrey 3 to 6 months (depending on how you ride)
for the cost of oil and my time i don't mind changing the oil every 3 months, if it means the fork will remain as good as it is now then i don't mind!
it also reccomends a yearly damper oil change.
in terms of price these forks are not cheap, but they are also not as expensive as some of the forks out there, and until the rockshox totem arrives sre pretty much one of the only choices of forks with a 1.5 steerer.
overall they are an excellent fork but are let down slightly by the price, however with rockshox releasing 1.5 steerer options on some of their forks soon prices should hopefullyt start to drop.