Manitou R7 2006 Front Shocks

4.31/5 (51 Reviews)

Submitted by psfaraujo a Cross Country Rider from Natal-Brazil

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2011

Strengths:    As everybody said, it's a quite good fork. I can't compare it with top level forks, like Fox RL or Sid Wc because I'd never used it, but it's certainly much better than other forks with almost the same price (in Brazil), like RS Tora or RST F1rst. The fork works quite well, absorbing everything, and giving a very smooth ride even in very hard trails. Very good fork for it's price... certainly a very good acquisition.

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
The User's Manual says that in the first 20 hours of using the fork may look a little hard, then, after this period, the fork will work smoother.My fork is calibrated with factory's preset of 80 psi, which is almost the minimum reccomended pressure (min=75 psi). The fork is working very well, though; so I think maybe I'll have to re-calibrate it with some mor air after the so called 20 hours.

Purchased At:   www.mercadolivre.com

Similar Products Used:   Tora SL,

Bike Setup:   GIant XTC Team Medium size, FSA/KCNC cockpit, XT gear.

Submitted by BRando a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2010

Strengths:    The 2011 Manitou r7 100mm Pro is an awesome fork. It absorbs bumps and roll over them confidently. The fork in my opinion is as good or if not better than Fox cross country forks. The 7 switch ABS works really well and is different at every switch. Its amazing how rigid the fork can be when you need it to be. Steering is pretty neat. The damper works really nicely. Every adjustment is different. The fork is very light too. Have no regrets buying this fork. Im sure it compares to the Rockshox SID and Fox F-100. If not better!

Weaknesses:    Used the fork only once but have tested it quite a lot already. The only weakness so far which may not really be one is that when braking hard, the fork bends forward and backward depending on which way you push the fork against. But im really particular.

Bottom Line:
The 2011 Manitou r7 fork is really good. Not just because its my new fork, but you really cannot find a better/lighter/effective fork for its price. Its a God sent!

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   My previous fork before this one was a Rockshox Tora. Really badly made fork indeed. But I've tried several Fox forks so i know the comparisons.

Bike Setup:   I use a SCOTT Scale 50 Hardtail, Medium Size.

Submitted by emerald signar a Mountaineer

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Bottom Line:
just got my 2010 r7 mrd absolute and raced with it twice already--one cross country and one adventure race...i'd say it's the best i've owned--smooth and linear and the absolute damper works perfect...so happy i went for it and not the SID race...it's even lighter than the SID by 100 grams after i cut 1 and a half inches from the steerer...one thing--the decals are simple stickers manitou should've had a layer or two of clear gloss to preserve it...

Purchased At:   philippines

Submitted by raducanmihai a Cross Country Rider from Predeal,Romania

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2010

Strengths:    Light,stiff,nice painting/decal

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
I just fiished building up my bike ,so I'll update my review in 1 month or so,but for now,this is it : excellent fork (huge upgrade from my RST Gila) ,very light (1545 gr/3.4 lbs with uncut steerer,probably less than 1500 gr/3.3 lbs after I cut it),stiff.
What not to do : I weigh around 90 kg/200 lbs so the instructions say that I should put 100-110 psi of air pressure in it. I did so (110) and the sag was 15mm (15%). I wanted a little more sag and I pushed with my finger on top of the valve. In less than 1 sec all the air inside was gone ,and I had to travel with my car to the LBS to reinflate it. If you don't have a special shock pump don't mess with it ,otherwise you'll end up as I did : a fork with no air .
It is still not broke in (it takes aound 20 hrs),but even so ,it is an impressive fork.
I definitely recomand you to buy it.

PS: I'll be back after I brake it in

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   RST Gila 100 mm

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300,Manitou R7 (Super Absolute 100mm),XT shifters,XT Shadow derailleur,SLX crankset & bb,SLX hydraulic brakes ,180 front/160 rear XT rotors, AlexRims XDlite rims with XT hubs

Submitted by hoobuba a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2009

Strengths:    anything you need from XC fork - stiff, smooth with adjustable response to any XC trail and condition

Weaknesses:    none so far
the rebound adjustment on the bottom of the leg is in danger to be damaged if you set the bike on the ground without front wheel - keep that in mind ... :-)

Bottom Line:
I am riding/testing R7 for more than a month now as a replacement for retired Skareb Super. This fork is an excellent companion on Mrazek hard tail. It is quite stiff yet smooth and completes Mrazek's great hard tail design.
The absolute system actually works also in between the Lock/Open positions and allows to quickly adjust the compression for riding condition - three clicks and the fork will not slow you down on the climb even out of the saddle.

Favorite Trail:   Palisades, WA

Purchased At:   Mrazek Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Skareb Super, RockShox SID Race, FOX Talas

Bike Setup:   Mrazek BOH-FX, Shimano XT/XTR

Submitted by AndrwSwitch a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    Light, stiff, follows terrain well, platform thing works well, short axle-crown distance (I'm not that tall and earn all my descents.)

Weaknesses:    The seals on the air spring side aren't that great. The air spring side seems a little funny in how it interfaces with my shock pump. Not much travel (I have the 80mm version.) The finish sucks.

Bottom Line:
I have the Platinum model, with the SPV feature. I got this fork because I thought I'd be happier with something lighter and that traveled better than the Suntour thing that came on the bike. It made the bike much more fun to ride. I read about it a bunch on here, and ended up setting up the fork with 75 pounds in the SPV chamber (I weigh 145) which is a little more than Manitou's suggested 50% of rider weight and 65 pounds in the air spring chamber. The boards here suggest running 10psi less in the air spring.

With those settings, I don't notice any pedal bob when I'm sitting on the saddle and climbing. If I stand and I use the handlebars to counter my pedaling motion, it's still very solid. However, when it takes a hit it moves freely too.

The big surprise, for me, was how much stiffer than my previous forks it was. I find that it's much better at keeping my front wheel tracking straight when I hit something at an odd angle, so it's a lot easier for me to just roll over things. It also has a really nice, floaty feeling on rough terrain like water bars, ladder bridges, rooty sections of singletrack, etc. I've inflicted small drops and a little dirt jumping on it, and that may having something to do with the next paragraph.

I don't know how long the seals in an air fork should last or what the previous owner did to this one, but I did have to have it rebuilt once in the time I've owned it. That was a bummer. It started bottoming a lot and then dumped oil all over my brake disc. Also, for some reason, when I attach my shock pump to the air spring side it always reads as zero pressure. I know that's not accurate, but it's disconcerting. The SPV side doesn't do that.

Like a lot of reviewers have said, the stickers and the paint start looking pretty crappy pretty quickly.

Cross-country riders and racers will like this fork. If you want a fork that soaks up big hits for you, you're probably not reading this review anyway.

Favorite Trail:   St. Ed's

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Dart from 2000, Suntour garbage, rigid forks

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock

Submitted by met a Racer from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2009

Strengths:    Good in all areas for XC.

Weaknesses:    80mm could use more travel.

Bottom Line:
A great fork!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Its worth getting, good for XC, good for the weekend warrior, good for racing, good for just messing around with friends, but its not so good for huge jumps or DH, it doesnt have enough travel, plus its a lightweight fork, it does what its meant for very very well.

5 stars.

Purchased At:   Local

Submitted by Boonducks a Racer from South Africa

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2008

Strengths:    When it works it's very light, stiff and strong. I've only ever used Manitou forks and find the R7MRD probably the best of the bunch. I train and race the fork and the lightness it brings to the front end of my bike is really good on the climbs and for lifting over steps etc.

Weaknesses:    I'm now on my 3rd fork, all of them have had the same problem - the oil becomes infused with air (cavitation?) and the fork becomes more and more hard, finally losing travel completely.The agents here have been fantastic, trying to fix it and then changing it with no quibbles but obviously it's disappointing. It must be a design fault. Any others out there that it's happening to?

Bottom Line:
Great fork, love it -when it's working

Favorite Trail:   On my farm

Purchased At:   Cycles Africa

Similar Products Used:   All Manitou including SX, Mars and Minute2

Bike Setup:   GT I-drive team 2002 Kinesis frame, full XTR, Mavic SL rims, Magura H33 Frogs hydraulic rim brakes, Kends Kharma tyres run tubeless, Thompson stem and seatpost, Fizik Gobi XM, Monkeylite bars - under 25 lbs

Submitted by dropedz29 a Cross Country Rider from Cagayan de Oro City, Philippines

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2008

Strengths:    Sleek lines, Smooth travel, lightweight!! Super stiff ---it tracks very well, shock absorbtion suprising with medium rocks though not so with little stuff.

Weaknesses:    haven't found yet

Bottom Line:
great forks and great rides, and light. its great for those who wanting to shed weight and would recommend. ---if you want a light weight, stiff, preformance, stable fork, Manitou R7 won't disappoint you!

Favorite Trail:   Bagukbok

Purchased At:   my BIKE PAL

Similar Products Used:   ROCK SHOX SID-SL with remote lockout.

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC 2006, M-R7, SHIMANO XT DEORE , KENDA TIRES, DaBOMB (RIM/STEM/HANDLE BAR/GRIP)

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2008

Strengths:    This is for the 100mm Elite model with no lockout. Fork is nice and strong, but plush at the same time. I've done some 3-4' drops and never bottomed out, and on the same trail rode hard single-track and not shaken my teeth out of my head. This fork is not even in the same category as my last fork, a Suntour. I know some people complain about it not having a lockout, but I can't see any reason to have a lockout in the 1st place. There is essentially no bob on the uphills, and fantastic bump/rut/rock absorption on the single-track. Price was incredible, as I got the last one on closeout at Performance for half price.

Weaknesses:    Lame stickers are peeling off. No big deal.

Bottom Line:
This is a really nice fork with no problems. Great bump absorbtion (single-track), great high impact resistance (3-4' drops) without having to change pressures or settings. Would buy again, and do often recommend to friends. Probably not a DH fork, but then it's not listed as such.

Favorite Trail:   Buttermilk

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Fox float, Suntour junk. I'll NEVER own a Suntour again.

Bike Setup:   2006 Giant Yukon hardtail.

Submitted by Ben Few a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2008

Strengths:    I have the R7 Platinum 100mm. It is light (about 3lbs) and strong. I weigh 205lbs and this fork works fine. I put about 100psi on both the damping side and the lockout side of the fork. Once you figure out your settings that you ride at, then everything is great. It took me a couple of short ride to set it up.

Weaknesses:    The stickers should be nicer or just painted on. The list price for this fork is what you could get a Fox for. I haven't damaged my stickers yet, but I'm sure it's only a mater of time.

Bottom Line:
Great buy, light and strong, quality where it counts.

Favorite Trail:   Mathews Winters to Hogback

Purchased At:   Ebau

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox SID, Manitou Mars, Manitou Black 80/100 comp, Rockshox Dart3

Bike Setup:   2006 GT-iDrive 4, Manitou R7 platinum 100mm front and Fox Float rear, XT drivetrain, Thomson stem and Seatpost, Monkeylite bars, S-6 headset, Bontrager SuperStock wheelset, Avid SD7 brakes, around 26lbs

Submitted by stewie a Cross Country Rider from exeter,nh,usa

Date Reviewed: February 19, 2008

Strengths:    very plush, light, holds air

Weaknesses:    lame stickers, no lockout (i have the comp)

Bottom Line:
this review is for the r7comp

i am very happy with this fork. it sucks up everything and still feels lively. it is suprisingly stiff for a fork this light and it goes wherever i point it and holds my line no matter what's in the way(i am 210 lbs). i can't imagine a better fork in this price range and would feel the same if it cost twice as much. i had the knocking/loose headset feeling for the first few rides but now is super smooth. also this thing hasn't leaked any air at all. if this model had a lockout i would have given it 5 chilis overall.

Favorite Trail:   fort rock

Similar Products Used:   manitou elite

Bike Setup:   marin ht, r7, stylos, thomson stem & seatpost, mavic 717, xt

Submitted by c'mon a Cross Country Rider from Poland

Date Reviewed: December 11, 2007

Strengths:    very stiff

Weaknesses:    not sensitive enough to small bumps

Bottom Line:
I bought this R7 Super cos I needed a relatively cheap fork to xc for a heavier rider and I'm not dissapointed.

In the first season I didn't have any problems with it,(just to mount, pump, and ride without even looking at this) apart from the problem with lockout which appeared during the first ride (it didn't want to switch off) but I send it to the service under guarantee and after two weeks I had it back.

In the secound season it started to leak air after a ride with too low air pressure, so it was my fault. Still great riding despite the leaking air.

Excellent fork.

Favorite Trail:   przesieka

Purchased At:   net

Bike Setup:   hardtail/r7/xtr/wcs

Submitted by Ben Brand a Cross Country Rider from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: November 27, 2007

Strengths:    Price point. High Level of plushness, when setup properly these are a fantastic fork

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Got the fork from Ebay for a steal (about the same price as the closeout special price on jensonusa) Ordered the TPC lockout from Enduro Fork Seals and had the LBS set this up. This took some fiddling to get the oil levels right, but once done this works amazingly well.

The fork is light compared to the Tora that came with the bike (about 1kg lighter) and this made an instant difference to the feel of the bike. I ride everything from a few XC enduro races to all day trail and some light F/R.
I have yet to bottom this fork and once you get it dialed in, it just sucks the hits up and continues to track whatever line you are carving.

I have put a lot of tough kms on this fork and have had 0 problems. Bang for buck I dont see anything else coming close to the weight and performance of this fork, just make sure you get a lock out for those big climbs or when you are really out of the saddle and hammering hard.

Favorite Trail:   Sparrow HIll