Manitou Nixon Super Intrinsic 2006 Front Shocks

• Crown: Polished and Hollow
  • Axle: Hex Lock

Submitted by Vespasianus a Cross Country Rider from Lansdale, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Strengths:    Stiff, plush and smooth. Very controlled dampening but willing to use most of its travel.

Weaknesses:    IT system is a little finicky. The 20mm hex system is not as good as the Rock Shock Maxle system.

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork. I have the 160 mm intrinsic damper but replaced it with TPC+. Intrinsic works fine but ramped up quickly - not harsh but just progressive. TPC+ is perfect. Very plush but controlled and highly tunable. I have modified the shim stack by using a flat stack on the first piston which gives a firm platform but breaks easily into its travel.

The IT system works but is not perfect. Basically, using the IT system drops the fork all the way into its travel pretty easily which is fine for climbing but terrible for anything else. If manitou could have the fork drop to a fixed level (say 120mm) it would be perfect.

The 20mm QR system never really worked well. I still had to tighten the pinch bolts and the axle with a hex wrench so I would not call it tool free.

Overall, this is an amazing fork that really has no competitors. It is not as stiff as a 36 Fox but it is better than a 32 fox (QR or 15mm) and more similar to a Rock Shox Revelation. However, the AC on the Nixon is more in line with a 36 fox, which really slackens the head tube out nicely.

Great fork that was highly underrated when it was produced but still superior to much of what is offered by Fox or anyone else.

Favorite Trail:   All

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute, Black, Fox 32 Talas RLC, Rock Shox Revelation

Bike Setup:   2007 Titus ML

Submitted by rage8973 a Weekend Warrior from wilbraham,ma

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    32 MM Stanchions, Adj. Air pressure, Rebound And Damping. This fork is stiff and plush, but not too plush for climbing.

Weaknesses:    LACK OF EXPLANATION OF THE INTRINSIC SYSTEM AND HOW IT WORKS.

Bottom Line:
I PURCHASED THIS AS A REPLACEMENT FOR THE STOCK MANITOU SPLICE COMP 130 FORK THAT CAME ON THE BIKE. EVERY TIME I WENT RIDIN, I FELT LIKE MY LIFE WAS IN DANGER WITH THE SPLICE COMP FORK ON MY BIKE. THIS IS A GREAT FORK FOR THE MONEY. YOU ACTUALLY GET MORE THAN WHAT YOU PAY FOR WITH THIS FORK.THIS IS THE FIRST FORK THAT I'VE BEEN HAPPY WITH. AS A 220 POUND (FORMER FOOTBALL PLAYER) RIDER,MOST OTHER FORKS ARE A BIT TOO SOFT AND LATERALLY FLEXIBLE.I WOULD DEFFINETLY CONSIDER ANOTHER FORK IN THE NIXON LINE FOR FUTURE BIKES WHEN NEEDED.

Favorite Trail:   sinipsit

Purchased At:   Greenfish.com

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z1 Bomber,Manitou Splice Comp(dangerously weak)

Bike Setup:   2005 GIANT AC,MAVIC WHEELS,XT SHIFTERS,XTR DER.,TITEC COCKPIT,RACE FACE EVOLVE CRANKS,MAXXIS MINION TIRES.

Submitted by Ronnie Wade a Cross Country Rider from Covington, Georgia, US

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Strengths:    Plush yet firm. These forks performed excellent right out of the box. 20 mm quick release axle.

Weaknesses:    No lock out or adjustable travel but I found I never used those options.

Bottom Line:
I replaced my Fox Talas RL 90 mm/130mm with 06 Nixon Super Intrinsic 145 mm travel w/20 mm axle. Not that anything was wrong with my Fox but, for me the Manitou has proven to be what was needed on my bike. I weigh 200 lbs. and the extra travel allows me to go faster. It also gave the bike more needed crank clearance. The FSR is a great bike and has made me a better rider. The Mantou has just made it better giving me the confidence to jump and hit obstacles at speed that I would have slowed down for on my fox. It barely changed the geometry because the lower fork tubes extend past the axle 10 mm. The Fox had more adjustments but I found I do not need them. I ride about three times a week - no racing - just cross country, mountain riding and single track.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shock, Fox

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR120 Expert, Chris king, xtr, carbon fiber bars, Kenda small block eights

Submitted by Epicriderat a Cross Country Rider from Thousand Oaks

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2007

Strengths:    Super stiff and plush.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This fork ROCKS. I was riding a Manitou Minute with SPV and loved the ride, it was a great fork also. But upgrading from 130mm to 145mm was a big difference in ride quality. Also my Minute had 30mm stanchions, the bigger 32mm's are a noticable difference in stiffness. The 15mm of more travel creates a super plush ride and allows me to ride a little harder and faster. On locals trail that I know all to well, I would no longer have to pull up on certain RR ties or rock ledges. I could just let the fork do it's job, and the ride was like butter. The Super Intrinsic dsmping, which I believe is like a non adjustable internal SPV valve, really works well. Yeah there's a feeling of a softer sprung fork, yet it resist BOB very well, even where i stand and hammer, I've had friends look over and say "Man, That forks not even bobbing at all". I actually just bought another one to replace my stolen parts, only difference is I'm going to 20mm to go with my new wheelset. I would highly recommend this fork to anyone riding a longer travel trailbike and wants a Super sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   All the fun ones