Manitou Black Platinum Lockout 2006 Front Shocks

• Crown: Forged Aluminum
  • Travel: 80mm, 100mm, or 120mm

Submitted by Damon Duehring a Weekend Warrior from Gardner, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    Very smooth and strong.

Weaknesses:    It didn't come with weight-to-psi settings to set a bench mark, so it took a while to get it "dialed in" to where I wanted it.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome fork. At first I thought it was too spongy, so I had to play with the settings quite a bit. But now that I've got it where I want, it's the best fork I've owned so far. I had wanted to buy another SID, but just didn't have the $$, so I thought I'd try out the Black. I'm glad I did. This fork is much more responsive than my Rock Shox forks (so far!).

Favorite Trail:   Landahl

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID XC, Rock Shox Duke

Bike Setup:   2003 Fuel 90 frame with tons of crap bolted on that I bought off eBay.

Submitted by rob from sudbury,ontario

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2007

Strengths:    Light and stiff, lockout and rebound work great

Weaknesses:    none that I can find--yet

Bottom Line:
Tried/tested and true--one of the flagships of the Manitou line up. Everything works great, once I got it dialed in, very smooth predictable ride. light yet stiff. One thing to note is that having the right amount of oil is critical. Keep the fork lubed and clean and it will work great.

Favorite Trail:   whitefish falls loop

Purchased At:   better

Similar Products Used:   Fox f100/fox fx100

Bike Setup:   Norco fireball/truvativ stylo crank/sram X9 drive train/crossmax wheels/Kenda Small block 8 tires/Juicy 7 brakes.

Submitted by Hank a Weekend Warrior from Richmond, VA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability, weight, stiffness, TPC damping.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Still in break in period.

Bottom Line:
Still breaking it in but so far, so good. I did a lot of research on MTBR in deciding on a new fork to upgrade the pogo stick that came with the bike. I know a lot of people don't like manitou products but hey, for a buck 99 it's worth a shot. Sooooo much smoother than the Splice. I've been able to clean logs, switchbacks, etc. that have given me problems in the past. Also, I'm a fairly big guy, 6'2, 215lbs but so far I haven't blown through the travel with the riding I've done with the Black (Buttermilk/ForestHill/Northbank loop). We'll see how it goes if I need to upgrade to a stiffer spring. 5 chilis for value, 4 overall (so far).

Favorite Trail:   Buttermilk/Northbank

Purchased At:   Bob's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Splice (OEM)

Bike Setup:   05 Rockhopper Comp Disc, BB5, XT F/R, LX/Rhynolites

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2006

Strengths:    cost, responsive, adjustable spring rate (air) and damping (with lockout)

Weaknesses:    can not adjust travel

Bottom Line:
This fork replaced my old Manitou SRX and has given a new life to my old bike. It is much mor eplush and responsive. I float over small bumps and obstacles that used to rattle my teeth. I can go over larger logs now that the front absorbs the initial shock. The price at Nashbar certainly beats the $500 price of most new shocks on the market.

Favorite Trail:   Boyce Park