Manitou Axel Elite 2006 Front Shocks

Weight : 4.3 lbs

• Magnesium Reverse Arch casting
  • Black nitride-coated steel upper legs
  • Fluid Flow Damping (FFD)
  • Steel steerer

Submitted by karelven a Cross Country Rider from Holland

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2009

Strengths:    Cheap, not to soft (with a coil upgrade), simple maintainance, strikes all the bumbs flat

Weaknesses:    soft with the normal coil, not very mutch options to set-up

Bottom Line:
Very nice fork for beginners and for advanced riders when you need a fork for in the mud

Favorite Trail:   Drunnense Duinen

Purchased At:   marktplaats

Similar Products Used:   RS SID, Suntour crap, Manitou Skareb

Bike Setup:   Full XT

Submitted by nico a Cross Country Rider from sudbury mass

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2008

Strengths:    it looks cool

Weaknesses:    not adjustable, heavy, to plush

Bottom Line:
if you have the money get a fox

Favorite Trail:   all of them

Purchased At:   rei

Similar Products Used:   something rockshoxs and fox f32 rlc

Bike Setup:   fox f32 rlc, avid juicy sevens, manitou radium, shimano decore xt Derailleurs

Submitted by keith a Cross Country Rider from quincy in the IL

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2008

Strengths:    It attaches your front wheel to your handlebars

Weaknesses:    Oh jeez. First of all, it leaks constantly, no matter how fresh the oil is, how hard you ride, temperature, maintenance, anything. I've actually found it works better without any oil in it and with no maintenance. Also, it doesn't include a coupon for $150 off of a better fork, which it should

Bottom Line:
I'm still saving up for a replacement, but like I say it rides better without oil in it. If that doesn't say something about the quality, nothing will. If you buy a bike that has it, ask for a good $250 off the price to replace your fork.

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   None, I just know that this fork is a POS

Bike Setup:   trek 6500 with Avid BB7 and TI levers, Sram X7's, and dart/smoke

Submitted by Rickuss Mork a Downhiller from fl/socal

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2007

Strengths:    ive actualy taken this thing off jumps and 2-3 foot drops and it didnt snap or blow up, mabe having to do that im 120 lbs. not so bad for the price.

Weaknesses:    not plush at all, infact its like anti smooth, basicaly soaks up curb drops and rock gardens

Bottom Line:
now that i really dont give a damn about this thing i thrash the hell out of it, im pretty sure i take it to its limit each time i hit anything as fast as i do which is a pretty scary speed.

Favorite Trail:   dirt

Purchased At:   encinita bike shop in sandiego

Similar Products Used:   36 talas 32 float rockshox reba and some other stuff

Bike Setup:   its a dahon zero (pretty sweet folding hardtail)

Submitted by Scott from Arkansas

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2007

Strengths:    Been riding this fork for over a year and a have and have about 800 miles on it with no problems so far.

Weaknesses:    It is a little Soft but I am a bigger guy (210 LBS) and would like to see a stiffer spring made available. Hasn't been enough of an issue to make me want to upgrade.

Bottom Line:
It could be lighter and could have more adjustment but it isn't and it doesn't. Bottom line is that it is an affordable shock that has held up very well for me. If you are a racer you should probably look else were. If you just love to get out and ride, give it a look.

Purchased At:   can't remember

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MX Comp, old Rock Shox Indy

Bike Setup:   Hard Tail, Deore LX and XT Drive train. BB7 brakes, Easton Monkey lite riser.

Submitted by notarichbiker a Cross Country Rider from Chula Vista, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2007

Strengths:    When it works, it really gives the spec 4 inches of travel. From my experience, it doesn't flex.

Weaknesses:    Even when properly lubed, it will start to freeze up after about an hour of riding. Once frozen, it only gives about 2 inches of travel. Heavy, but it's an entry-level fork, so no worries.

Bottom Line:
This fork came on my entry-level Trance 4, so I didn't expect much from it--you get what you pay for. I was happy to finally be riding a bike with more than 3 inches of suspension front and rear. Coming from an 80mm, super-sticky, Marz Z4, this Axel felt like a monster. And that's a good thing. When the fork is clean and lubed, it gives 4 inches of smooth travel. Plus, I've never had any problems with fork flex. My only beef is that once the stanchions get dirty, the fork will slightly freeze and travel seems to reduce to just over 2 inches. I can usually tell by the pain in my hands when my fork has reached this point during a ride. I'll see if a Lizard Skins fork boot will help.

Favorite Trail:   Los Penasquitos Canyon

Similar Products Used:   Mid-range stuff from the late 90s from Marz, RockShox, and Manitou--nothing over 80mm travel

Bike Setup:   06 Giant Trance 4

Submitted by Mike Allen a Weekend Warrior from Albany, OR

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2007

Strengths:    lightweight, decent seals

Weaknesses:    no real range of adjustment. lockout is weak. Easy to break, so prepare for warranty work.

Bottom Line:
I just bought this bike and took it down a pretty challenging xc trail with 3-4ft dropouts, downhill, babyhead singletrack and a few "make your own trail" areas. The rest of the bike was great, but this Manitou wouldn't adjust correctly. Poor rebound, bobbing when locked out on climbs, etc. Just totally misbehaving. Had it checked out after 1st ride and tech at Cycletopia in Corvallis, OR (hey Mike!) says it's toast. After 1 ride! I rode an old RS Judy for 4 years prior and no issues. Manitou has some serious quality/design issues on this product. Granted, I'm 210lbs and I ride hard, but the fork should've lasted longer than 1 ride before failing. NO adjustment now, no lockout, very stiff except on babyhead trail, then it locks up completely and beats you to death. Unless you stay on the sidewalk with your training wheels on, I'd avoid it. This fork is not meant to be ridden.

Favorite Trail:   Perpetua

Purchased At:   Bicycles 101

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Judy

Bike Setup:   '06 Gary Fisher Cake 3, Avid Discs, lots of Bontrager.

Submitted by Earl Haigh a Cross Country Rider from Gladstone, Australia

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    Came standard on 2006 Trek 6500 bike, looks good in black?

Weaknesses:    Leaked oil from day one, lockout broke in 3rd week and I only ride on black top, don’t figure?? 80mm travel, not a major issue for me as I ride on black top. Currently at LBS being repaired/replaced.

Bottom Line:
Came standard on bike, when repaired and if they last, they are fit for purpose as I ride mainly on black top to commute to work. LBS M1 Cycles very helpful, shop owner offered to lend me his personal bike while being fixed. Can only hope repairs or replacement last; I guess that’s what warranties are for.

Favorite Trail:   anything down hill

Purchased At:   M1 Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Standard shocks on 7+ year old Avanti Ridge Rider

Bike Setup:   2006 Trek 6500, Tires Maxxis Xenith slicks, Pedals Shimano PD-M545, Cateye Lights – front HL-530, rear TL-LD1000 complete with aging overweight rider.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Skagit

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Strengths:    This fork is very good for the price.

Weaknesses:    no problems yet, good xc trail fork

Bottom Line:
Not bad for an entry level fork. very servicable. some day I will upgrade but seems to work fine for me so far.

Bike Setup:   GT IDXC

Submitted by Phil a Weekend Warrior from Lancaster, UK

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2007

Strengths:    They look nice all in black

Weaknesses:    They're rubbish. Travel - 50mm max. Adjustment has failed, no lockout either. On bumpy stuff, they're a waste of time 'cos they just don't move.

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money!

Favorite Trail:   Rooley Moor

Purchased At:   Edge Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi bombers

Bike Setup:   Trek 6500 standard

Submitted by Scott a Weekend Warrior from Calera, AL

Date Reviewed: May 28, 2007

Strengths:    These came on my bike and are the 2007 model.
Lockout and compression adjustment.
I weigh 205lbs and haven't bottomed these out yet.

Weaknesses:    Forks are a little too stiff initially, but after setting sag at 3/4" and setting compression 3 clicks from the lightest setting they are doing the job. Still a little stiff though.

Bottom Line:
I WOULDN'T say this fork is junk at all. It's wayyyy better than the RST fork that I used before.
After making the adjustments above it does the job on the trail that I ride which has roots, roots and more roots and lots of rocks.
Over a series of roots at speed the shock does the best an entry level fork can do and lessons impact, but can't really smooth the ride out, hey it's an entry level.
I'm happy with the performance for what it is, but will upgrade to a better fork when this one breaks, cause this bike does definitely deserve a plusher fork.
I've ridden this fork fairly hard since purchasing the bike, I would say around 80 miles of roots and rocks and haven't had any other problems.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mtn