Magura Asgard 2006 Front Shocks

4.31/5 (13 Reviews)
Weight : 1690 grams

• Air suspension fork
  • Ultra-stiff one piece magnesium sliders
  • Preload and rebound with lockout
  • 30mm stanchions

Submitted by Cvan a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ, US

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2007

Strengths:    Plush for price, responsive as you'd expect form air/oil, great build and looks

Weaknesses:    Could use more travel, discontinued

Bottom Line:
This fork is plush, a bit small for the enduro as it's shimmed from crown to headset to help geometry (looks slightly odd but feels amazing), but it is very responsive. I'd trust the stock Marz AM SL for larger drops and mud/tree roots, but the Asgard seems good for trails/dirt/rocks/speed. Great cross country, a bit questionable for really rough stuff. The switch dropped a pound off an already heavy bike, and the front end is much stiffer.

There are no rebound knob leaks, and it's a pain to adjust.

Purchased At:   Bike Barn - Houston

Similar Products Used:   Marz AM SL

Bike Setup:   2006 Enduro

Submitted by Kevin C a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2007

Strengths:    build quality - this thing is a tank
set it and forget it

Weaknesses:    leaks oil around rebound knob

Bottom Line:
I liket the first so much I bought a second one! This fork is built incredibly well and once broken in offers a plush ride comparable to the Marathon S. In it's price range I don't think there is a superior fork - much better than the mid level Blacks and Dukes. If it weren't for the annoying oil leaks I'd give it five chillies across the board (note: Magura customer service was very easy to work with while fixing the problem)

Favorite Trail:   beginner

Bike Setup:   Bike 1: GF Tassajara frame, XT drivetrain, avid bb7 brakes
Bike 2: KHS ST team, xt drivetrain, avid juicy 7 brakes

Submitted by Jason P a Cross Country Rider from Arlington, TN, USA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2007

Strengths:    Inexpensive and pretty light weight. Simple to setup.

Weaknesses:    Leaked oil within four rides.

Bottom Line:
The fork is very good for the price but it has a serious problem with the rebound adjustment knob. If it isn't in just perfect, it WILL leak. Magura was very easy to deal with in getting it corrected but it did cost me shipping and oil.

Favorite Trail:   Stanky

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Many other forks

Bike Setup:   Jamis Pro, SRAM all around

Submitted by Anthony a Weekend Warrior from Antelope, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2007

Strengths:    Looks great, lockout, very easy to setup, love the feel.

Weaknesses:    Like everyone else, rebound locked up once and is leaking.

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork because my Marzocchi was leaking bad at the stanchions and I wanted more travel. Based on the reviews and the price I thought I couldn't loose getting this fork. When I first put it on, it was much more stiff, not as plush, but after a few trips on the trail that changed. I LOVE THIS FORK! The only thing is that freaking rebound adjustment. Mine started leaking 2 months in, then stopped and started again after another 4 mo of use. Its in for repair now, guess there was a defect in design, so they now replace the whole rebound side with an improved design. Hope I don't have to wait a month. Oh...And as for customer service, they rock! Super cool people.

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   Diamondback X-Link DBR: Magura Asgard front fork, Romic D rear shock, Shimano hydraulic disk f/r and components, WTB rims.

Submitted by Thafurnace a Cross Country Rider from Triangle, NC

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2007

Strengths:    Beautiful craftsmanship, great attention to detail

Weaknesses:    Decals

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is this: You don't have to pay $700 for top notch quality in a fork. Watch out for Magura to expand their forks into the american market.

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox, Fox, Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth

Submitted by Anthony C from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2007

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to add something to my post below. I called Magura and told them about my problem with the Asgard fork. They told me that they kind of knew about it because the lockout system uses a plastic part that can crack and break under pressure. The guys at the Magura service facility were super cool and for a nominal fee, they upgraded me to another fork because he would have had to get the part from Germany which would have taken 6-10 weeks. But, I must say that their service is phenomenal and were really easy to deal with. It's hard to find a customer service department these days that you dont have to argue with.

Submitted by Anthony Choueifati a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    The lockout kept the fork from moving at all. Relatively light.

Weaknesses:    This shock plain sucks. Read below.

Bottom Line:
I bought this shock off EBay for $200 because of the reviews I read on this site about it. When I first got my fork, the rebound adjustment knob wouldn't turn. Well, I wanted to ride so I disregarded it for the first ride. After my second ride, I was taking baby bunny hops and jumps - nothing that got over a foot off the ground, and the next thing I notice is that my lockout didn't work anymore. When I got home, I looked over the fork and I could hear rattling inside and it seemed like the fork lost some air compression. So, after two rides, the rebound adjustment broke, the lockout broke, and the fork was leaking air. I've sent my fork back to Magura and am still waiting for them to call me and let me know what the deal is. They said it could take up to a month to fix it if they have to get parts from Germany. I'm not to impressed with this fork and I'm sad I paid $200 for it. I'm wondering if I got a lemon but the exact same thing happened to my friend's Magura Asgard fork. We'll see how well Magura's service is in fixing the fork. I'm pretty disappointed that I spent $200 on a fork that I rode twice on and broke.

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   RST

Bike Setup:   Basic mountain bike with Shimano LX components.

Submitted by CL a Cross Country Rider from N. Cal

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, stiff, stiff! percise steering, Lock-out works amazingly well. High quality finish and beefy.

Weaknesses:    oil leaks from compresion knob.
v-brake boss to narrow for fat tire.

Bottom Line:
I couldn't believe I can actually feel the difference from this to my old Manitou Black, woa! the steering feels more precise, and the lock-out will turn it into a rigid fork- no play or movement. It asks for power when going up and plush and smooth when bombing down. makes me a more confident rider right away.
I will give it 6 chilis if not the annoying oil leaking issue which I hope the Magura can give me an answer.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black elite and platinum, Mars,

Bike Setup:   SUgar 3+

Submitted by Brian Dickey a Cross Country Rider from Dayton, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    This fork is made with quality German craftminship and is very stiff and light for a fork that only costs around $200. They sell these in Europe for twice the price and nobody knows about Magura forks in the US. This fork looks good and after a little break in, is super plush. A great change from the masses where everyone has the same three brands.

Weaknesses:    Rebound knob is hard to access and I wish I could have found it with a disc only option to get rid of the boss holes. Other than that I expect to get years of solid use out of it.

Bottom Line:
Great fork at a great price if you can find it and different from almost everything you see.

Favorite Trail:   anything I can find

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi RST(Crap)

Bike Setup:   Trek that I totally rebuilt, nothing stock

Submitted by Reaper a Weekend Warrior from Denver

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2006

Strengths:    Quality build, stiff/rigid stanchions designed specifically for disk brakes, plus once broken in, lockout works great, doesn't leak air! lightweight for build at 1690 grams (3.7 pounds)

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustment is on bottom of fork (makes it difficult to set the bike down with the front tire off, rebound adjustment knob doesn't really turn well, fork seems kickback a little when pulling up promptly.

Bottom Line:
For the money, this is a great fork. This fork can be found for cheap online at various places especially now that Magura is releasing its 2007 lineup. I'm not crazy about the way the rebound adjustment works and I know of others that have had problems with how tough the knob is to turn. I basically dialed in my rebound by taking the knob off, using an allen wrench to adjust the rebound, and put the knob back on. I have also noticed that when I pull up hard and fast on the fork to get over an obstacle like a root or log there seems to be a little lag in the bottom of the fork keeping up with the handlebars...as if the fork compresses a little and then kicksback to catch up. While the feeling is slightly annoying, it doesn't seem to affect the functionality of the fork.

So far I have thrown Fruita, Moab, Grand Junction, Salida and all the Front Range trails around Denver at this fork and it has performed very well. The one thing I like most about this fork is the fact that it just simply doesn't flex. The stanchions on this thing are super stiff and Magura knows how to build a stanchion to accomodate a quality downhill specific hydraulic brake. For a fork that weighs in at around 3.7 pounds to be this stiff is pretty good.

I would definitley buy this fork again.

Favorite Trail:   Holy Cross

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Skareb, Manitou Black, Marzocchi Marathon

Bike Setup:   Azonic Propulsion, Magura Asgard 100mm with Lockout fork, Rock Shox MC3.1 rear shox, Mavic 819 tubeless with Hope XC Hubs, Magura Louise FR brakes

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Santa Cruz, Ca

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    Construction/Materials, Basic Adjustability, Reliability, Stiffness and Performance

Weaknesses:    A little heavy but I don't notice

Bottom Line:
I was a little hesistant to buy a fork with so few reviews and such little information. I spent a good amount of time researching this fork on the internet and after a lot of good things said about Magura, decided to bite the bullet. Can't say I regret it at all. This is a great fork for a great price. Very quality build here, no plastic parts anywhere. The seals took a few rides to break in but now its: plush, plush, plush. I'm currently running it with V-brakes on my Surly 1x1 but it will accept up to an 8" disc rotor upfront. I like it so much I'm considering buying another for my Superlight. I've been riding on an 02 X-Fly for a few years and this fork is a noticeably better ride. I highly recommend this fork.

Favorite Trail:   Mailboxes

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi, Rock Shox, X-Fly, Atoms, Marathons, etc.

Bike Setup:   Surly 1x1 and Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Zip a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2006

Strengths:    Nice and stiff, good adjustability, lockout option is flawless, excellent build quality, no leaking of air or oil, great customer service at Magura.

Weaknesses:    A little bit on the heavy side, and does take a little bit of time to soften up the seals.

Bottom Line:
This fork is a good buy. After you break in the seals, you wind up with a nice plush fork that is easy to make basic adjustments on, but that can be really fine tuned with a modicum of knowledge. The design and build quality is excellent, just by picking one up and holding it you can see and feel the quality. In the US you can find great prices on these relatively unknown forks. Lets you stand out from the crowd a little, people know the Magura name, but not their forks.