Fox Shox Vanilla RLC 2006 Front Shocks

4.64/5 (14 Reviews)

However you ride, and however you want your bike to handle, TALAS has you covered. Our proven TALAS (Travel Adjust Linear Air Spring) system is easily adjusted in 3 mm increments from 130-90 mm allowing the rider to quickly tune in the perfect travel. Combined with our legendary steering precision, a wide range of adjustability, and sophisticated shimmed damping, the lightweight and feature packed TALAS is a sure bet for any trail conditions.

Weight: 3.78 lbs/ 1.72 kg.
Travel: TALAS travel adjust: 130+110+90 mm
-Low speed compression damping
-Travel

Submitted by CC EASYRIDER a Weekend Warrior from MILPITAS

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2007

Strengths:    Great fork/like the fact it has a spring/air compression feature. Read other reviews of having great reliability. Build/probust assembly is tops over Rockshox.

Weaknesses:    NONE PEROID/HOPE FOX NEVER DISCONTINUE THIS MODEL AS I WILL BUY AGAIN FOR MY NEXT BUILD.

Bottom Line:
Buy it without any hesitation as this is a great fork, you will not be disappointed. If you do hate it after purchase, resale value on this fork has been very high, it should tell you something about this fork.

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox TI

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth ID

Submitted by Bloody a Cross Country Rider from Eugene, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, Light, great smooth travel. Nice color compared to older Fox products. Highly adjustable, worked well right out of the box for my 200# self. Adjustable blow-off for the lockout works well.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
This is a fabulous fork. If you can get your hands on one for around $400 you'd be getting the best med-travel to long-travel single-crown fork out there. I saved a bit on my other parts with plans to upgrade eventually when they broke or I had the extra cash in order to get the best frame/suspension I can. I mostly ride single-track, semi-technical terrain up/downs, but last spring and summer I commuted 22 miles a day. I found that even though I have 5" of travel, the fork is so great at absorbing the little bumps that I never locked it out on my daily commutes (locked out the rear though) except on uphill sprints or something like that. Went on a couple of downhill rides this fall and never bottomed it out once. Super stiff and nice. Highly recommended. 4 chili's for value since these are WAY overpriced typically, 5 chili's for perfomance.

Favorite Trail:   Dog River or Crosstown/Bridal

Purchased At:   Pricepoint w/S-8 Headset

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z-1 MCR (2001), Manitou Xvert Super (1999)

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Truth w/fox Float RLC shock, Deore/XT Gruppo w/Sun DS-2 rims on deore disc hubs, Avid juicy brakes.

Submitted by som a Cross Country Rider from memphis

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Strengths:    great looks, low weight, dual coil action, highly tunable and from what i hear - no real maintenance issues.

Weaknesses:    probably not many - just not as smooth as a dual coil marzocchi is my only complaint - which is enough for me to get rid of this fork and go back to a heavier, less attractive but better performing marzocchi

Bottom Line:
Not really sure how this is going to fit in with the sea of erections most seem to be having over this fork…I’m going to assume that the reviews are more a matter of perspective than anything else. If the Fox Vanilla is your first dual coil fork or you are upgrading from a sub par “cheaper” fork, you are going to love the Vanilla. Being a dual coil fork, the Vanilla is the most plush of the Fox line of mtb forks even though it is their least expensive fork (steal coil is less expensive than complex air mechanisms). The Vanilla is also touted as the lightest dual coil fork on the market – the thing is, you would be hard pressed to find another dual coil xc fork on the market at this time. But all of this being said, the Fox Vanilla is easily bested by any Marzocchi dual coil fork in regards to performance – even from Marzocchi forks made years ago.

I’ve been running Marzocchi dual coil (underscore the words dual coil) forks since their inception (bomber series) after leaving Rock Shock and Rock Shocks with aftermarket spring upgrade kits. I did leave Marzocchi a few years ago for a $620 Whit Bros air fork but went back to Marzocchi after a few months. And I left Marzocchi again recently for the Fox Vanilla 130 – road it yesterday on two trails in different parts of town – and I will be going back to the Marzocchi (never felt so beat up after a ride). From the Atom Bomb to the Z1, Z2, Z3 and Marathon series, all of the dual coil models from these lines over the years have all performed and felt exactly the same – only some models where lighter and some offered more travel. I purchased the Vanilla after reading the reviews here so I’m assuming that many that rave about the Vanilla have not known the pleasure of riding a dual coil Marzocchi fork or are more into fast descents where the differences are less noticeable.

When you lock the front break and push down on both forks – both are very smooth in their compression and rebound. The real differences are when you begin to ride. At higher speeds and descents with larger obstacles, both forks are very similar in their performance – the Marzocchi has only a slight (but noticeable) lead over the Fox in regards to smoothing out the trail. I’m assuming this is why the Fox receives such great reviews – a lot of all mountain and free riders. But at slower XC speeds with lots of roots, rocks, stumps, repetitive chatter ruts and what not – the Vanilla does not compare to the Marzocchi – not in the slightest. And for me, that’s a big deal – completely took he fun out of the ride yesterday - made me write this review actually. And I could get away with being much more sloppy when using the Marzocchi as it handled my frequent bad decisions without issue. The Vanilla is a lighter, more tunable and a more attractive fork than the Marzocchi. I did notice a lot of internal play in the Vanilla though – apparently this is normal in that line for whatever reason. At the end of the day, I was really surprised that the Vanilla did not do a better job at smoothing out the trail – and I was really psyched about this fork before I road it.

I’m at the point in my career where I could buy any fork that I choose (if there were a $700 fork from anyone that performed better, I would already have it) – and if I had to buy a new fork today, I would probably purchase a used, dual coil Marzocchi off Ebay or here(they are bomb proof and are cool to buy used). I’m going hang onto the Vanilla while I send my Marzocchi Marathon S in for a rebuild and possibly have it extended to 120 mm – after that, the Vanilla is yours if you like (will be selling shortly) Its true that the Vanilla’s action is like butter, but a dual coil Marzocchi fork is like melted butter.

Hope this review adds some perspective to your purchasing decision.

Similar Products Used:   rock shock judys, white bros air fork (can't remember the model), and marzochi atom bomb, Z1, Z2, Z3 and marathon s.

Bike Setup:   trek fuel, marzocchi marathon s, cane creek cloud nine rear shock, king headset, fsa carbon cranks - handle bar - seatpost, wtb wheelset, xtr drive train, avid disk breaks

Submitted by Mike from RI

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2006

Strengths:    lIGHT, TRACKING,GREAT ABSORPTION FROM SMALL BUMPS TO LARGE ROCK GARDENS.

Weaknesses:    TOUGH TO ADJUST ON THE FLY WITH GLOVES ON.

Bottom Line:
SO FAR SO GOOD.lIGHT VERSITILE FORK THAT TRACKS WELL, AND HAS ACCEPTIONAL ABSORPTION.I HAVE BEEN RIDING ON MOSTLY FACTORY SETTINGS AND ONLY MESS WITH THE REBOUND AND THE LOCK OUT.I USE THE LOCK OUT ON THE STEEPEST OF CLIMBS.SO FAR HAS TAKEN EVERYTHING I DISH OUT VERY EFFICIANTLY.EXCELLENT ALL AROUND FORK.PRICE IS THE ONLY DOWNSIDE BUT YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR. 4 CHILLIE RATING ONLY BECAUSE I DONT HAVE ANYTHING TO COMPARE IT TO.I CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE ANY REGRETS!

Similar Products Used:   NONE

Bike Setup:   HECKLER,07 VANILLA RLC, RLOAT REAR,DAM KIT.

Submitted by Evan Leonard a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, smooth, adjustable.

Weaknesses:    Bushing durability. Being aware that some play is normal while the fork is static, the bushings have developed excessive play after <1 year of all mountain use. Oil height was checked. The fork needs what I would consider major work after 1 short season. Damping (not spring rate) feels too linear.

Bottom Line:
Feels great on XC trails, but durability led to an early demise. A Fair fork. Would be 4 chilis if bushings had held up.

Favorite Trail:   La Milagrosa

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z.1 (great fork), and now I am trying a Rock Shox revelation.

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg w/ Fox Float rr shock.

Submitted by gonzostrike a Downhiller from zimoola, tanamon

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    light weight, excellent trail feel and bump absorption, steering precision, tunability

Weaknesses:    not free of charge

Bottom Line:
This is a great choice for any bike running 4" or 5" rear travel. It's very lightweight, the suspension action is very plush in all sorts of situations from small washboard ripples to big chunky bowlingball rockgardens, to rooty rutted chop. The RLC model's lockout makes the long flat rides to trailhead more efficient.

For my 155 lbs the QR axle is not an issue. I've run Marzocchi Z1 FR QR20 forks on several bikes, and this fork is their equal in every way related to steering and suspension feel, is more tunable, and is a good 1.5 lbs lighter. If you are the kind of rider who doesn't absolutely need 20mm axle forks, this is an outstanding choice for your 4" or 5" FS rig, or your long-travel hardtail rig.

5/5 chiles all around.

Favorite Trail:   bobo's spastic neurons

Purchased At:   Go-Ride.com

Similar Products Used:   various Fox, Marzocchi and Manitou 4", 5" and 6" travel forks

Bike Setup:   5-Spot technical XC, reasonably light but dependable build.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Valley Forge, PA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2006

Strengths:    Bulletproof, rigid, and plush

Weaknesses:    haven't found it yet

Bottom Line:
This thing is the sh!t. It loves agressive and fast xc riding. It never feels like its in over its head. Much more solid feeling than my Nixon. Very happy with this purchase.

Similar Products Used:   Nixon Platinum

Bike Setup:   5.5 all set up

Submitted by Tanner from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    stiff, amazing adjestments, lock out doesnt break when riding it hard.

Weaknesses:    ....... not availiable in 20mm axle?

Bottom Line:
Unreal fork for the money, couldnt ask for anything more, its great to ride trails on it, then throw in the lock out and i session the park and street with it. I have it set at 100mm makes an amazing fork for anything. the only thing that i dont like is the stock springs are too soft even for me (150lbs)

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi z1, DJ 1,2,3, fox talas, rockshox pike, manitou sherman flick

Bike Setup:   Dobermann Molosse (check these frames out they are intense! www.dobermannbikes.com)

Submitted by CURTIS MCKEE a Weekend Warrior from CINCINNATI

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2006

Strengths:    SPRING

Weaknesses:    WEIGHT

Bottom Line:
CAME ON BIKE AT PURCHASE. I AM A BIG FAN OF SPRING SHOCKS. I HAVE THE HEAVIEST SPRING INSTALLED AND I AM 200 POUNDS. I LOVE THE WAY THIS SHOCK WORKS AND THE RESPONSE.

Favorite Trail:   EI

Purchased At:   RESER

Similar Products Used:   SID TEAM

Bike Setup:   YETI 575 CARBON REAR 06'

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from florida yes florida

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    no plastic, do it all fork

Weaknesses:    none known of

Bottom Line:
FYI - www.trails-edge.com has the 2006 Vanilla RLC w/free king headset for $490 + free shipping, LBS suggest $35 to install ($525)as of this posting

I asked LBS if they could match they came close ($560), and i prefer keep my money in the neighborhood, but figured there were others might find this info useful.

I am one of those clydes who uses his bullit for everything, Vanilla RLC seems like a fit, i researched and most i spoke to said Zoke ETA is exciting at 1st but after a while set and leave, i figured use RLC lockout for climbs and let the 130mm soak up the XC / FR /DH's. I also researched Zoke AM1 or SL, manitou not for me (selling on ebay w/in next 2 weeks).

Has anyone run a 130mm fork on a Bullit? I set the nixon at 130 and rake seems fine but would like to hear from anyone who has run this, or similar setup.

Favorite Trail:   pick one

Similar Products Used:   05 nixon elite (too much bob), 1999 zoke 80mm on hardtail (still a great fork)

Bike Setup:   bullit, 5th, 06 VANILLA RLC, hayes9, King head, race face drive, trailpimps

Submitted by Chris from Berkeley

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2006

Strengths:    stiff, light, dual coil springs, functional good looks. tunability (though with my level of patience and bone-headed mind set not sure if that's too much adjustabilty for me: i just crank it stiff and slow rebound and shoot down the rocks)

Weaknesses:    too early to tell.

Bottom Line:
Marzocchis were all good, but got tired of breaking the ever useful-when-working ETA levers. Then I found out that Fox 2006 dual coil spring 32mm stanchon fork is a mere Willo-Wispy 4# and I can buy with a near wholesale discount due to their sponcership of the MTB organization I am proud to be a part of: how sweet is that.

I've finally arrived: found a modern fork that rides awesome and looks fine. We'll have to see if Fox forks are as durable as the heavier Marzocchi are, but Marzocchi's fragile ETA levers are their Achillies' Heels that opened the window for me to try a Fox fork.

2006 Fox Vanilla RLT wins the gold standard of cross country mountain bike front suspension performance: Vanilla rocks!

Favorite Trail:   Butchers-3rd Divide

Purchased At:   sponcership discount

Similar Products Used:   2004 Marchocchi Z1 130mm ETA QR (broke ETA rod/lever), 2003 Marzocchi MX Comp ETA 105mm (broke ETA lever), 1998 Marzocchi AtomBomb 70mm (np, but no disk tab), 1998 Rock Shock Indy S 50mm (cheap, a joke).

Bike Setup:   1998 Kona Lavadome butted cromolly steel hardtail, 8" Hope M4 Mono disk, Avid Single Digit Ti., Daves Speed Dreams wheel, WTB 2.5" Timberwolf Race, 2.1" WTB Weirwolf UST, Seven Cycles titanium flatbar, Al Bold tapered and layedback titanium seatpost.

Submitted by JP a Cross Country Rider from Central PA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2006

Strengths:    This for is simply amazing. Simply the best fork I have ever felt. Smooth, smooth, smooth. LOOKS, HOLY %&#*, LOOKS !!! SWEET!! Lock out, easy adjustability...list is endless.

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
For the value...you can't beat this fork. SUper plush, super smooth...LOOKS TOTALLY BAD!!! If Fox continues making forks like this...there won't be any competition soon. GOT TO GET ONE!!! GIVEN IT 5 FLAMING CHILIES!!!

Favorite Trail:   Any that PA game lands hasn't closed yet !!!

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black Super Air, Black Elite, Marz Bomber, Rock Shox Judy SL, Judy XC (really going back), Skareb, Dorado (on Tomac DH setup)

Bike Setup:   CDale Jekyll, Thompson, XT, XTR, FOX Float RL rear, Hayes Disc, custom Powder Coat and custom decals (THIS FORK TOTALY COMPLETES IT)

Submitted by Mike Beckett a Downhiller from santa barbara ca usa

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2005

Strengths:    very good adjustability and nice for freeride or XC. i highly recomend this fork to all riders of any style.

Weaknesses:    occational creaking but no malfunctions

Bottom Line:
GET IT NO MATTER WHAT!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   powerlines or angistura pass

Purchased At:   my friend gift

Similar Products Used:   36 talas, marzocci 66, talas rlc, maveric itigrated, rock sox revolation

Bike Setup:   santa cruz nomad, xt, xo, jucy carbons, saint, chris king

Submitted by Jason a Racer from Eureka, CA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2005

Strengths:    adjustablity

Weaknesses:    plastic internal spacers...to change travel from 80-100-125mm

Bottom Line:
The fork is the best out there. I have been riding it for well over two years with no major work needed. just the regular overhaul ever year or so. I have had the seals replaced only once...after almost two years of riding. foz has done there reseach on forks. I want to upgrade to the vanilla Talas. bottom line..buy one

Purchased At:   employee purchase direct