Fox Shox FLOAT XTT 2006 Front Shocks

4.25/5 (8 Reviews)

The ultimate trail fork. We've combined the air spring and adjustability of the beloved FLOAT with the inertia-valve wizardry of TerraLogic to create a fork unlike anything else. The FLOAT 130 XTT TerraLogic damper is specially "Trail Tuned" to offer just the right amount of low speed compression to filter out rider induced bob without the need for remotes, levers, cables or hassles. In addition to this, the inertia valve's bump threshold can be tuned to further refine the ride. It's a perfect blend of trail ready plushness, lightweight, and efficiency. This is how the future feels, now.

Weight: 3.83 lbs/1.74 kg
Travel: 130 mm
External Adjusments:
-Air spring pressure
-Rebound damping
-Bump threshold

Submitted by RebBoySF a Weekend Warrior from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2006

Strengths:    Stiffness, Plushness, and TerraLogic lockout

Weaknesses:    Costs some $bling$. 130mm is pretty high travel and needs a confident rider.

Bottom Line:
Fork is bling! Big travel means big jumps, big descents. Rigid/stiff 32mm stanchions help with the steering. Light 3.83 lbs. stock weight is perfect for keeping the bike light.

If you want a fork that doesn't require much attention but will give you the top handling, get this Float XTT! I've ridden plenty forks, and I'm totally down for the TerraLogic technology over anything else. This is my 3rd X-series fork, and zero problems so far. (I'm not sure why people whose forks have some defect seem to think the entire fork lineup is crap, just get a warranty replaecement or take it back to the shop!! This can happen with any brand!).

On heavy and fast turns, this fork starts to "lockout/compress" and lets you turn better. On maniac sprints and climbs, it feels like you're riding a rigid fork. What else is there to say? Fox knows what they are doing.

This is the Mercedes of the fork industry. Top technology and quality, all worth it.

PS: Get fork boots if you ride All Mountain or some dirty/muddy/etc. cross country (xc). Don't depend on any fork seals to keep the nasty stuff out, get real! Treat your fork nice.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs

Similar Products Used:   Float & Talas RLC, F100x, F100 RLT, Minute 1:00 100-130mm, Reba 85-115mm U-Turn.

Bike Setup:   Marin Wolf Ridge

Submitted by Luis Hernandez a Cross Country Rider from Guadalajara, MEXICO

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    Strong, smooth as butter

Weaknesses:    Well, it's called the "X" model because it's supposed to have a pedaling platform to reduce bobbing. But it does not.

Bottom Line:
I think the fork works very well EXCEPT for the "X". Fox says "With TrailTune, when the Brass Mass is closed and the fork stiffens up, there is still some oil-flow, allowing the fork to move over small impacts, but there is still plenty of low-speed compression damping to filter out rider induced bob". False. Stand on the pedals and you will bounce with each stroke. So basically this fork functions just the same as an "R" model, except $250usd more expensive. Save your money and buy the "RLC" model instead.

Favorite Trail:   The next one to ride

Purchased At:   Wheat Ridge Cyclery

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR Stumpjumper carbon, Crossmax SL, Shimano, SRAM, Marta, Race Face Next SL, Eggbeaters 3Ti, Crossmark tires, Selle Italia SLK

Submitted by Charles Burmaster a Weekend Warrior from Westchester, NY USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    Light, reactive

Weaknesses:    Leaks oil (right side)

Bottom Line:
Decent shock, however Fox needs to can some of their engineers. Need to fix oil leaks (have seen lots of feedback about this) and also need to improve their customer service. They are nice folks however it is obvious that management has directed them never to admit there is a problem with their fork or shock and to deflect. This will not win fans in the long run.

Favorite Trail:   Monster at Blue, Peekskill NY

Purchased At:   Briarcliff Bikeworks

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruiz Blur LT

Submitted by Simon a Weekend Warrior from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2006

Strengths:    Light and Stiff and feel really good.

Weaknesses:    Like all quality, they are expensive.

Bottom Line:
The forks are noticably lighter than the Blacks. At first I thought they felt odd, but soon got used to the terraLogic feel. Now I go back to other (air) forks and they feel like they need adjusting. Excellent fork.

Two examples: Riding with friends along a corrugated gravel road, all riding in line, it was noticed that the Floats were performing the best over the corrugations, with practically no movement at the stem while the hub was a blur. And cranking up a long hill with a friend with an SPV Manitou fork, we noticed the Floats had a litle more movement than the SPVs, but then realised he had a lot more pressure in his forks, and was getting less travel.

Favorite Trail:   O'Connor ridge

Similar Products Used:   Blacks, Sevens

Bike Setup:   GF Cake with XT groupset inc brakes, Bontrager carbon bars and stem, DT Swiss 340 hubs, DT SWiss 5.9 rims, and so on.

Submitted by Jason a Racer from Adelaide ,Australia

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Strengths:    Weight, plushness, operation, looks. Stiffness

Weaknesses:    Price, seals, Price

Bottom Line:
Nice fork works well. All they need to do now is get their seals to hold oil.
Have been thru 3 sets in 3 months.

Similar Products Used:   Most other brands

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler Full XTR.

Submitted by Daniel a Weekend Warrior from Kiev, Ukraine

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2006

Strengths:    Works perfectly | low weight | nice look

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
Excellent fork, with great balance of toughness on a smooth terrain and sensitivity on bumps. Stiff as all 32mm Fox forks. I think that's the best fork I've ever ridden. Of course, retail price is a bit high for amateur, but if you can find a good bargain on this fork, you won't regret.

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Duke SL, Marzocchi MX Pro, Fox Vanilla R

Bike Setup:   Upgraded GF Cake 1 DLX

Submitted by Tekin a Cross Country Rider from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2005

Strengths:    terralogic damper , lightweight.

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
The fork works really good so far. I have maybe 70 or so miles on it. PSI recommendations in manual are off. Use sag for better adjustment. I have the small bump setting at minimum and run on the high rebound setting for technical,rocky, rooty trails that I used this bike on. This is my 1st experience w/terralogic fork and almost used to it. The price is very steep and if I were to build the frame from ground up I would have chosen Marzocchi All mtn SL or 1 for the great price that is available now in fall season.

Purchased At:   turnerbikes

Similar Products Used:   Marz Marathon SL 120, SL 85, Atom z2

Bike Setup:   06 Turner 5Spot prototype, FOX 130XTT, Magura Marta brakes, FSA( post,carbon bar, Carbon x-type crankset,stem, headset,xc-300wheels)Sram drivetrain, WTB tires

Submitted by Brian S a Cross Country Rider from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2005

Strengths:    Plush, stiff, smooth, well made, integrated disc cable guide.

Weaknesses:    can't think of any

Bottom Line:
Great Fork. I was a little nervous about the TerraLogic valve at first thinking it would be too much. It works perfectly. Allows sag, is not a complete lockout, just very heavy compression damping on smooth surfaces. Activates seamlessly, works fine on drops, doesn't bob like nuts when you stand up and hammer on the bar during a steep road climb. VERY well built, pretty light for 130mm. Integrated cable boss actually works and works well Ñ no zip-ties! Price is a little steep. Don't pay retail, you can easily find it for much less. I actually paid a little more for mine than I would have if I had a little more patience. This is my 4th Fox fork (3 of which I still have). They have not all been trouble free, but their customer service and support have been phenominal. They make it very easy for Joe Blow to deal w/ them unlike quite a few other companies. Thanks!

Favorite Trail:   nothing legal