Fox Shox FLOAT RLC 2006 Front Shocks

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Submitted by Sean Davidson a Racer from Richmond, ME

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2007

Strengths:    Dependable, smooth, quick adjustment on the move, stickers last though rough elements and frequent cleaning.

Weaknesses:    After 6 months of hard, hard riding, one seal began to leak but I would have expected worse. Also, the drops out seem to wear a bit too fast and cleaning out the triangle frame design in the cross over is tedious; big deal right?

Bottom Line:
This shock has taken some serious hits for a 32 on a cross country rig. I've raced the Downieville Classic (won it), rode Mammoth Lakes (9 hours of hard downhill in one day), Noble Canyon twice (that's when the leaking seal occurred), Toad's Wild Ride, Oat Mine Trail in Calistoga; all the toughest downhill rides in California with great results. Other than those rides, I've raced on my Fox RLC for most of the year with great results, screw the light weight others, go with performance.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Purchased At:   Sports Center Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox, they went quick...

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Chris King no threadset.

Submitted by Tim Mathes a Weekend Warrior from Ladera Ranch, CA USA

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, Simple. Plush.

Weaknesses:    We all hate to spend money.

Bottom Line:
I trail ride, liking the idea of having a lightweight XC machine under me. My rear travel is 4" so I set up the 130 fork up with extra sag so it doesn't ride high. Steering is tamed down, and well controlled. Rarely need the lock-out. This fork has been "set-it and forget-it" for me, and the quality of build is outstanding to the point of inspiring more confidence in my bike than I have ever had. I just followed the set-up instructions, Fox did the magic.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in SoCal

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Reba. Fox Float 100RL

Bike Setup:   Kona "the King" 19", XTR group, Fox Float RP3. 2.3" WTB Exiwolf tires.

Submitted by woody squirrel a Weekend Warrior from uk

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2007

Strengths:    incredibly light, barely notice they're propping up your front wheel. Rock solid feel, very reassuring steering precision. Plush as only Fox know how

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the basic FLOAT R, that came with the bike.
The lightness of these forks just blows you away, but you can throw them at anything. No rattle of any sort from my forks, just the high speed shims emitting their typical 'gas leak' sound when you hit the big stuff, nothing to worry about. Occasionally wish I had the lockout but only when pedaling off saddle (very rarely). No bells & whistles, just awesome Fox plushness. Love em.
Once your under the Fox spell its difficult to consider any other fork.

Favorite Trail:   afan forest wales

Purchased At:   realcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   mx pro bombers

Bike Setup:   2006 Commencal Meta 5, a few tune ups, Conti vertical/gravity tyres for aggresive cross country flings

Submitted by Props a Weekend Warrior from Nantes, France

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, plush, great tracking

Weaknesses:    some play in the stanchions, fragile anodization, creaking noises

Bottom Line:
This is the review of a 2005 model, which is merely the same one.
I purshased this fork last year in replacement with my former fork (Marathon SL) that unfortunately died in a crash... I didn't regreted it !!! This fork has a fabulous all mountain potential. It is *very* plush and yet don't "dive" as much as a Vanilla. Some hot places I don't hesit to jump where one year ago I would have got off the bike !

Adjusting knobs work well, especially the very efficient locking threshold. Well I am a bit skeptical with that low compression ring, does it produce a real effect ?...

Except the noisy crown and bushing play (Fox gently inform us it-is-normal... lol), this fork is great. Wish the new Fox 32 would be greater.

Purchased At:   Spad, Nantes, FR

Similar Products Used:   Fox F100RLT, Vanilla RLC, Manitou Black, Rock Shox Duke, Marzo MX, Marathon SL

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR XC Pro '05, XT, XTR, Thomson, Time Z

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Mountain Home AFB, Idaho

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2006

Strengths:    Great Lockout, plush, smooth, looks good, rides great strong.

Weaknesses:    None so far!!!

Bottom Line:
The best fork for 400 bucks. Almost didn't buy it because I didn't want to spend that much, but I would have let myself down with anything less. Strongly recommend buying this fork. Would give it 10 FLAMIN' Chilis if i could!!!

Purchased At:   Bobs Bicycles

Bike Setup:   Giant Warp, Fox Float 130mm, Avid BB7, WTB Laserdisc/ Mavic 317 wheels.

Submitted by Mark Williams a Weekend Warrior from Wales UK

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Strengths:    Quality of build, Strong, smooth, light

Weaknesses:    Non yet

Bottom Line:
I am a weekend rider not sure about warrior, I hate wasting money on cheap unreliable parts. The Fox float RLC 130 is a quality product, does exactly what it says on the tin, and save my hands and wrists being beaten up going down hill, soaks up rocks and bumps at speed as if their not there.
The lock out on uphills is very useful as I am not the fittest of people yet.
I was recommended to go for rock shox Pike 454 on the Mongoose which would spec the Comp to Super spec, but friends were saying Fox, so opted for the Fox. Which also saved on buying a new wheel/hub for the 20mm Maxle QR on the Pike. (I have not tried the Pike 454 so a comparison would be unfair)
I would recommend to anyone, I know a quality product when I see one, and boy do they do their job well.
As for the cost new- as far as I am concerned you pay for quality.

Favorite Trail:   Afan Argoed (Whites)

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Manitou splice (sort of similar)

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Tiocali Comp, standard rear shock, Fox Float RLC on front set to 100mm

Submitted by Jackson a Cross Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff
Lots of adjustments
Ultra smooth and plush
Beautifully made
Good aftersales service

Weaknesses:    130mm is too much for some

Bottom Line:
I was never a fans of Fox forx, Fox is expensive and I always believeing there are some other fork which is on par with fox's performance with lesser $. I changed 3 forks within 1 1/2 year of cycling, this fork had changed my mind completely. RS Reba was a good performer, but realibility is really bad with bad aftersales service locally.

From the moment I installed the float on my bike, whoa... it's so plush even before i made the settings. I took it onto the trail soon after that, small and big bumps are sucked up without any problem. My front end grip improved, encouraging me to tackle the corners at higher speed.

There's very little bobbing on the climb. On the decend, i simply let go of the brakes and bomb down the slopes. It went throught the full travel smoothly(I've mine converted to 100mm).

I give it full rating, i could not ask for more =)

Purchased At:   Rodalink

Similar Products Used:   RS Judy,RS duke,RS reba,Marz Exr Pro

Submitted by jamie solomons a Cross Country Rider from newstead australia

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2006

Strengths:    this is a super plush fork that works wel in all conditions

Weaknesses:    found none

Bottom Line:
fantastic all round fork handles technical descents with ease ,light enough to takle cross country style ridng and strong enough for all mountain
all of this forks adjustments are spot from the lock out , rebound and compression it is easy to dial in to your desired setup and the adjustments actually work and change the fork alot

Favorite Trail:   moonlight flat castlemaine

Purchased At:   dragon cycles maryborough

Similar Products Used:   manitou skareb , rst mozo pro 3.5 , rock shox quadra 5

Bike Setup:   stock fork on top of range GT i drive 5 1.0

Submitted by Sam Samaha from Phoenix, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: March 14, 2006

Strengths:    Great workmanship/construction.. perfect all-around fork for MTB/XC riding, and priced very well compared to other forks with similar performance.

Weaknesses:    None that I've seen

Bottom Line:
I don't think I could have gotten a better fork than this for my riding style. The LBS had actually put these forks on this frame before I bought it, but I didn't changed it out after doing some research on my style of riding. I though I'd give it a try.. Needless to say, after a few rides both in urban and off road environments, I am completely pleased. I've taken curves without pulling up on the handle bars with these 130mm babies and hardly felt a thing.. they can be adjusted to cadillac softness or porsche stiffness.. Great design, and great quality. Lot of bang for the buck!

Favorite Trail:   back yard

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Reba

Bike Setup:   See here: http://homepage.mac.com/sjsamaha/PhotoAlbum39.html

Submitted by Rex a Racer from Woodland Park, Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2006

Strengths:    Great travel, smooth, stiff, expensive.

Weaknesses:    A little weighty compared to my SID, but I will take the weight trade for the function.

Bottom Line:
I have taken this bike through trails around Colorado Springs including Palmer Park, Section 16, Capt Jacks, and Red Rocks. The fork functions so much better than my SID that I am sorry I haven't changed until now. The rebound is great, and it is the first fork I have had where I didn't have to almost double the manufacturer pressure recommendations to get it to not bottom out. Float is a good name for the fork. It is an accurate description of the ride. I don't rate it the highest, because nothing is perfect, but it is still a great fork.

I think this fork is great for anyone who wants a nice cross country bike, but still likes to ride something technical once in a while. It's a nice all around fork. Weekend warriors shouldn't buy this. Save your money. Go to K-mart.

Favorite Trail:   Anything in Crested Butte

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   RockShox SID, Manitou, Cannondale Head Shock.

Bike Setup:   Specialized M4, Mavic CrossMax SL wheels, XTR drive train, Avid Juicy7 brakes.

Fox Float 32 150mm RLC - Top Cap Assembly

Hi I have a '12 Fox Float 32 RLC and I can't seem to be able to put the top cap assembly (the Lockout, lockout threshold and low speed compression ring) together snug. The low speed compression has vertical play in it and the mechanism inside falls apart when I try to adjust it without pushing it d ... Read More »

'08 Float 32 rlc fork negative spring replacement

Looking for help on how to remove broken negative spring, and then install new one, from the air spring assembly on an '08 Fox Float 32 RLC fork? Not sure whether upper or lower parts of assembly come off to remove the springs, and Google isn't very helpful. Thx!Read More »

2012 - Fox Float Fit RLC ... help?

2012 - Fox Float Fit RLC: I told a friend I'd post his problem. He writes, [I]"it's not locking out, but worse, it seems to be sticking a bit too. when I turn the lockout setting adjustment knob on the top right, it gets a little stiffer, but not lockout. pressure is at 70 psi. ho ... Read More »

fox float 100 rlc servicing questions

Hi trying to service fox float 100 rlc for the first time, have a few questions inner surface of the upper tubes is pretty rough, is it normal? how do you know when it's time replace the bushings? I found a couple of rings rattling in both upper tubes after cleaning them: [ATTACH=CONFIG]890583[/ ... Read More »

Lowering 2012 Fox 36 Float RLC - Travel not reducing correctly?

Hi All Tried searching round for help but came up short, and as this is my first fox fork I'm still learning my way around them. Basically i have a 2012 Fox 36 Float RLC that i want to lower to 140mm travel to better fit my new Santa Cruz Chameleon. So i have done exactly what the fox tech in ... Read More »