Fox Shox 36 VAN RC2 2006 Front Shocks

4.48/5 (21 Reviews)

From Slopestyle to singletrack, the 36 VAN can do it all. Boasting the same stout construction as our 36 TALAS - position sensitive damper, 36 mm stanchions, 20 mm stepped thru-axle, separately adjustable high and low speed compression damping circuits, adjustable rebound, and a healthy 160 mm of coil spring travel. From huge air and hard landings to trail trash and stutter bumps - the 36 VAN sucks it all up and makes the world smooth again.

Weight: 5.45lbs/2.47kg
-Low speed compression damping
-High speed compression damping

Submitted by Brent365 a Downhiller from BC Interior

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    Solid coil fork, versatile as claimed. Soaks up big hits once adjusted properly, is light enough to pedal uphill.

Weaknesses:    Seals allow quick contamination of oil, therefore requires frequent service. If stantions become damaged, crown/steer tube/stantion replacement is very expensive.

Bottom Line:
Excellent ride quality. A good quality fork that requires frequent preventative maintenance. If you want a fork that you can neglect service for a year look elsewhere (Marzocchi). It is an all round fork, so as long as you don't expect it to perform like a 200mm Boxxer and be as light as a 100mm XC fork, you will be happy with it. Be aware that many riders may need to change the weight of the coil spring for this fork to perform properly. This is a $50 cost.

Favorite Trail:   Builders Only

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 888, 55, Manitou triple clamp

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign X

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Coupeville, WA

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2007

Strengths:    Plush, true adjustability (the rebound valve actually adjusts the rebound and the preload actually adjusts the preload... before this fork I never used a fork where you can feel a difference with just a click or two), very durable and laterally stiff.

Weaknesses:    Expensive, the stock spring is way too light. I am 185 lbs and I use the extra stiff spring that is meant for someone from 215-240 lbs (Yellow Spring) but that one works perfectly. This may just be preference but I definitely bottomed out the stock spring (Blue Spring) way too many times.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the VAN R not the RC which came stock on my Specialized SX Trail II (sweet bike by the way). I was disappointed with how easy it was to bottom out this fork at first but then I switched to the yellow spring and it has worked much better. I still use all 160mm of travel but have not bottomed out with the new spring. The fork is very stiff laterally and there is no noticable flex. I have not tried any tire larger than 2.5" but there is definitely clearance for a much larger tire. This is definitely the coolest looking fork I've ever used if looks matter.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   e-bay

Bike Setup:   Specialized SX Trail II (Stock except for carbon rizer bar and 60mm stem).

Submitted by Big Mark a Weekend Warrior from Oakland, Cali, USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2007

Strengths:    Light, stiff, plush, laterally very stiff, positively a point and shoot fork.

Weaknesses:    Travel adjust would be nice but didn't stop me from buying this fork.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the 36 Vanilla R model fork. I've read quite a few comments about the 36 Vanillas being too linear and bottoming easily but I have the exact opposite impression of this fork. I'm 240lbs geared up so if this fork is going to get bottomed out then it should certainly happen under my fat ass. I upgraded the spring to the extra heavy model which was ordered from Fox. I have yet to bottom this fork but havn't dropped anything over 5-6' yet. In fact, I have not gotten over 5" of travel out of this fork. I like having that reserve in case I do hit something big. I only run 1 click of pre-load and about 3-4 clicks of rebound. This fork is plush. I do find the fork a little tough to climb up the steep climbs. Point it downhill and let her rip though. This is a great set up for my Bullit. I think Fox has done a pretty nice job with this fork. I believe it would be best to work a travel adjust of some sort in the design as all the emerging competition has this feature. I think this fork is way too expensive and that will cost 1 Chili.

Favorite Trail:   Chaparal

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Similar Products Used:   Super T(2001 and 2004), Shiver 2004, Rockshox Pike Team Coil, Pike 454 Air U-Turn, Z1FR1(150mm), 66RC 170mm, 888RC

Bike Setup:   2004 Bullit, DHX 5.0 Coil, Fox 36 Vanilla R with extra heavy spring, DeeMax wheels with Mich. 16/24 tubeless tires, Brake Therapy Floater, RF Atlas Cranks, Wellgo mag flats, Juicy 5's 203mm, FSA DH Carbon Bar, Diabolus stem, Thomson post and SDG Belair saddle, Sram X9 shifters and rear deraileur,XT front deraileur, E.thirtheen DRS chainguide. 37lbs.

Submitted by Tom Cosgrove a Weekend Warrior from Alta loma, ca.

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff and light to 6.3 of travel, nice black color.

Weaknesses:    Blew out dampening, fork never felt plush and progressive like other coils, had to use hvy spring to get sag correct. I am 180 with gear. No quick release like rock shock!

Bottom Line:
Its frustrating to spend a ton of money on something and have it not work right. Hopefully when I get it back it will be better. Comon fox I expect better! You buy a fork like this expect it to be riden hard!

Favorite Trail:   Portal trl utah

Purchased At:   incycle san dimas

Similar Products Used:   05 minute, nixons - junk sent back 5 times, 06 nixon used 3 times and blew out, got refund, 07 talas 36 good so far 3 rides.

Bike Setup:   5 spot 28 lbs, 06 enduro 32 lbs all the goodies.

Submitted by Mike from Woodhaven, NY

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, has rebound and high/low speed compression adjustments, comes with 3 springs. Came stock with internal bottom out resistance set to medium for very linear travel, good for aggressive trail riding.

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Currently too linear for downhill use, tends to bottom out a lot. Low speed compression adjustments slightly affect the high speed adjustments, they're not totally independant it seems. Cartridge system not self servicable for the most part, must send back to Fox for internal bottom out adjustments, oil change etc. Developed creaking at crown/stanchion interface. Axle hex fitting moved out on me when I forgot to undo the pinch bolts enough during wheel removal.

Bottom Line:
I would definitely use this fork for trail, freeride and light downhill, but for pure downhill use I'd prefer the bottom out resistance increased (which they have apparantly done to the 07 forks). I've messed with the compression settings and the only way I can prevent it from bottoming out is to make it too stiff to handle anything but smooth trails with the occasional drop. I'm already running the heaviest supplied spring when I should be running the medium or soft. Personally, I think they should have made the fork with an external bottom out adjustment like their DHX 5 shock or Marzocchi's RC2X. I will be sending it in to Fox for service, hopefully it will come back performing flawless and I'll do another review.

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Moray, UK

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    Light, Stiff, Lovely action, everything.....

Weaknesses:    I can only ride one at a time!

Bottom Line:
This fork rocks, I have 40's on a SC Vp free, these forks on a Nomad and I am selling the Vp free, as there is nothing big enough in the UK to warrant such a bike and fork.
I ride everything from all day XC rides to DH, with double black XC and DH being my favourite game.
I like to ride a lighter spring than recommended and keep the bike light at all times, if I go out for some drops and heavy playing then I put the heavier spring in, it only takes 2 mins.
888's feel cheap in comparison, as do the Z1's, I know they cheaper, but you do get what you pay for. Who knows what will happen now the Totems are out from RS, lets see if they work.
It will not be ling now until DH races are won by guys on 7” max travel bikes air shocks on the rear and single crown coils or even air on the front! Big bikes only slow you down!!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Fort Bill

Similar Products Used:   Marz 888, Z1, Fox, 36TALAS 40RC2

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad, DHx Air, XTR kit. Hadley/ZTR wheels.

Submitted by Brian a Downhiller from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2006

Strengths:    Light, smooth and plenty of travel.

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I know 800 bones is a big chuck of change for this fork and BELIEVE ME.....I had to think about it many times before I bought it. Then I took my bike up to BIG BEAR ( Oh yes, they do let 6" travel with 2.5 tire max.) After my first run down the steep fire roads.....I knew it was the best choice. It soaks up bumps and humps like a like a chick on her prom date. The fork is worth ever penny so stop smoking cigarettes and save your money coz it is worth it. Next stop.....Mammoth.

Favorite Trail:   The one that has a shuttle up

Purchased At:   Beyond Bike

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z.1 FR, Manitou Travis Single 150.

Bike Setup:   SC Bullit freeride w/ 5th Element shock, Hayes 8" hydrau, SRAM....and more.

Submitted by Ahren a Downhiller from Truckee

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2006

Strengths:    Feels smooth, nice finish on the knobs and stuff.

Weaknesses:    Too soft, Too light, Too weak, Too expensive

Bottom Line:
This fork is a expensive waste of garage space. From the day I got it I was unhappy with it. First I found that it was way too soft (even with the heaviest spring and 15 weight oil with both internal and external boost valves at maximum) I weigh about 175 lbs before breakfast and the fork has a spring for a 230 lb rider in it. It is literally as stiff as it can possible be, and still, it is as flaccid as your 90 year old grand father before taking his little blue pill. Sure it steers well with the 36 mill sliders, but that doesn't matter if it bottoms out on every 2 foot drop. (I'm being serious here, I regularly use 1/2 travel when riding off curbs) Total Crap, no wonder Lopes rides Marzocchi now. Ok enough about the limp feeling, after riding this fork for 3 very unsatisfying months, the Crown began to make a death creak. It sounds like a broken headset popping every time I grab the front brake. At this point the fork is sitting in my garage wating to be sent back to FOX. But even if it gets fixed, it will never again find a place on any bike I will ever ride, ever. Bad Form FOX, Bad Form.

Favorite Trail:   one with turns, hills, jumps

Purchased At:   875

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 66 RC, VF, 2006 RC2

Bike Setup:   Sinister Ridge Hardtail, marzocchi 66 RC, Race Face Diabolous, blah blah

Submitted by David from Redmond, Washington

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2006

Strengths:    This review is actually for the 2007 36 Van RC2, which I received instead of the '06 that I ordered. Apparently Fox ran out of '06 36's and had to scramble with the '07 product. Not a problem with me! You all know this is a sweet fork, so here is what makes it sweeter for '07: very good bottom out resistance so you can run less high-speed compression damping, better color/graphics (my opinion), improved axle cap (I only read this somewhere, since I don't have experience on prior models).

Weaknesses:    none so far, and none expected given the reputation of Fox's Vanilla forks

My value rating is for the price I paid, but let's face it, forks have actually gotten good enough to cost $900

Bottom Line:
Awesome fork. Word has it that if you order a bike that comes with Fox product, you will now get '07 product. I ordered direct from Fox (I work at a bike shop) and had to wait 6 weeks, but that's probably because they had to build the fork in that time.

I look forward to pushing my limits on this fork.

Similar Products Used:   '05 Manitou Nixon Elite, QR version

Bike Setup:   '05 Giant Reign. The 36 Van slackens things up a bit, and prevents the rear from blowing through the travel too fast. The Reign still climbs well even with the extra inch of axle-to-crown.

Submitted by Moorsy a Weekend Warrior from Bury England

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2006

Strengths:    Buy them if you want troble free riding and the best performance.

Weaknesses:    None as i can think ofsome say the price but you only get what you pay for

Bottom Line:
The bottom line for me is you get the best performance,safe do anything fork with thw right setting. also the back up from MOJO is outstanding thay are a asset to Fox

Favorite Trail:   Whistler BC

Purchased At:   leisure lakes

Similar Products Used:   ZI/ 32 VANS/ 36 TALAS RC2

Bike Setup:   Orange 66 DHX coil 36RC2 vans all the nice bits

Submitted by johnny a Downhiller from boston

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2006

Strengths:    super-stiff, light, looks slick, pretty decent compression adjustment, big tire clearance

Weaknesses:    my crown started creaking pretty badly after a couple months of riding (2x a week). the stepped axle is nice, but the treads are too fine to really muscle down on you hub. not a big deal if your hub tolerances are good, but i have a hugi that works well with my zokes - but knocks around on this fork.

Bottom Line:
every fork is going to be a compromise. nothing that weighs 4 lbs is going to perform like a 8 lb dual coil, dual hscv DC. that said, this is a really versatile fork. it does well at the kind of riding it was designed for. i think it also depends alot on the bike (obviously). after mine started creaking, i took it off and put on my 2003 super-t, and it was like night and day. the zoke seemed way more sensitive, more progressive, and works better in terms of geometry with my bike (more rear bias).

if you're a turner guy (or gal) that like that lively/springy romic feel, you'll probabaly dig it. if you like a really sensitive, progressive "big bike" feel, then you may want to look elsewhere. i'll post an update when i see how fox handles my creaky crown.

werd.

Similar Products Used:   super-t, z150, shiver sc

Bike Setup:   2003 bullit, hadley, hayes, king, etc....

Submitted by Mateen Cleeves a Weekend Warrior from MI

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff
Light
Adjustments Fox gives you work (see weaknesses)

Weaknesses:    You cannot adjust bottom out dampening or progressiveness of travel. This is idiotic on a so-called "big hit" fork.

Bottom Line:
This fork would be the perfect SC big hit fork if there was some way to adjust the bottom out dampening without sending the fork back to Fox. Personally, when I pay $900 for a fork, I want to use it. Not mail it back and forth across the country. Everything else works as advertised and it is stiff and burly for sure.

Maybe I'm spoiled from riding Marzocchi for several years but slamming the fork against the bottom out bumper is not cool. And, before you comment, everything else is set up correctly. Firm spring (almost no sag), and high speed compression dampening way up. I'm in the process of getting a loaner bike set up so I can get this fixed once and for all.

By the way, the DHX Air rear is legit. Works amazing and has adjustable bottom out dampening that makes it feel truly bottomless. Why wouldn't they give you the same adjustment on the fork? Get rid of the low speed compression and give us bottom out, its a big hit fork!

Purchased At:   Came on bike

Similar Products Used:   Z-1, 888R, 66VF, Regular Fox Van (the little one)

Bike Setup:   SC Nomad with DHX Air

Submitted by Andrew from Charlottesville, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: April 23, 2006

Strengths:    Strong & stiff, very plush, adjustments actually work, easy to change springs to suit weight/riding style.

Weaknesses:    Cable guide is a bit cheesy, and oil rings on stanchions (typical Fox, from my experience, and causes no problems).

Bottom Line:
I purchased the RFX as my one, "do everything" bike, and figured the VAN 36RC2 would be the perfect compliment. It turns out I was spot on! The VAN is exceptionally plush, easily tune-able for different trail conditions, and extremely stiff. I use it for every day trail rides, and the occasional hooligan session, and have zero complaints. The head angle on my RFX is now quite slack, making steep climbs a bit of a pain. However, I've experienced no problems with wandering and washouts, and the downhills are a delight. 5 chilis, without reservation.

Purchased At:   Go-Ride

Similar Products Used:   Breakout +, Firefly, Pike, Talas 36.

Bike Setup:   '06 Turner RFX w/ stuff

Submitted by Nick from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Strengths:    Huge stanchions, buttery smooth, very light for the travel.

Bottom Line:
I wasn't sure if the fork travel would match the rear travel of the bike but when I rode it, it felt awesome. The head angle was just right and the Fox front matched perfectly with the DHX rear. I wanted to lighten up my bike for all mountain use and now, alas, it's the perfect bike. The fork felt plush right out of the box thanks to Fox's initial setup. I haven't perfected the fork's tuning capabilities but I imagine it can only get better. Highly recommended product.