Fox Shox 36 TALAS RC2 2006 Front Shocks

3.65/5 (20 Reviews)

How much travel do you need? Six inches? Five? Four? 4X? Big Air? Switchbacks? Regardless of where or how you are riding, the 35 TALAS is ready to go. Enormous 36 mm stanchions and a stepped 20 mm thru-axle offer unprecedented rigidity and steering precision. A linear air spring and fully adjustable compression and rebound damping devour whatever terrain is thrown their way. A light flick of the lever switches between three travel options; 160-130-and 100 mm. The 36 TALAS is ready, are you?

Weight: 5.23 lbs/ 2.37 kg
-Travel Internal Adjustments:
Bottom-out resistance

Submitted by sportwagonus a Cross Country Rider from pomona ca USA

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2009

Strengths:    Love the on the fly 3 position 100 130 160,it gives me the i can roll over what ever is coming my way.

Weaknesses:    Because i did not buy the bike brand new i was not aware of the cracking of the pinch bolts at the bottom of the legs and iv been riding it for over 2 years with no problems, then with a recent inspection of the brakes discovered the crack at the bottom of the right leg. This is a problem that could of been avoided if i was aware of it.I would of contacted fox and asked if they would put the new quick release style they have come up with.

Bottom Line:
Love the bike and the riding of it and cant get enough. the fork is awesome except i dont know if fox is going to hook me up with new lowers or if im going to have to pay for them and hoping they are going to be the new design.

Favorite Trail:   Marshal Cyn, lavern ca

Purchased At:   Rocky Mountian/demo

Bike Setup:   Rocky mtn Slayer sxc 70 36 talas and dhx40 avid juicy 7ns race face atlas sram 9s kenda nevagels and xt tubeless wheels

Submitted by danlorek a Downhiller from poway, ca

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2008

Strengths:    super stiff, feels like a mini-40.

Weaknesses:    just sent the thing into fox for the "travel-creep" issue. the fork only had about 135mm of travel and was super harsh on the compression stroke from oil getting sucked into the talas cartrige. the same thing happened to my buddy's 36 and my 04 32RLC....lame.

Bottom Line:
when this thing is working right, it's awesome. for the pricetag i just can't understand how the so many talas forks have this travel loss issue... c'mon fox??! it's not just the travel loss either, the thing gets so harsh when it starts to go south.

i have two talas forks (2006 36 and 2005 32) both of which have this problem and the only other person i know with a 36 (07) has this issue too and he went to a vanilla 36 instead.

Submitted by Terri. from Leduc, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2007

Strengths:    Smooth, beefy fork, travel adjustment is great.

Weaknesses:    where did the travel go?

Bottom Line:
I like it alot, and for the price I paid it was basically a steal. But really, where did the travel go? It is supposed to have 150mm, and I have about 138mm with a total stanchion length of 142mm, I tried contacting Fox and they wouldn't answer any questions on the matter. :(

Bike Setup:   on my Rocky Mountain Flow 3.0

Submitted by lucass a Downhiller from Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Strengths:    plush, very adjustable, strong, stiff

Weaknesses:    so far so good I break every thing eventually, watch for an update

Bottom Line:
wicked trail fork, good for DJ, have hucked some pretty good drops and no probs, waiting to see how it will handle multiple DH/freeride runs over the summer months, great price at united its actually an OEM fork from trek, exact same but darker color lowers

Favorite Trail:   bench in canmore

Purchased At:   united cycles

Similar Products Used:   fox vanilla 130, marz. Z150 FR, 888rc2, shiver sc,

Bike Setup:   on a heckler

Submitted by Robert a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2007

Strengths:    TALAS, stiff lowers, versatile, plush, light,

Weaknesses:    Lower leg pinch bolts (crack-edy-pop), Travel creap...

Bottom Line:
Have been riding the product for over a year.
Very happy with it.
In general this fork is IT, it works as advertised...but...here comes the dredded BUT!!!!

Lower legs crack around the pinch bolts..That kind of sucks!!!
I tightened the pinch bolts a million time and NO problems whatsoever, but now I found a hairline on my right lowers around the pinchbolts...damn....
I followed the instructions NOT to tighten the bolts too much, so Iam not realy shure how this could happen?
Well if FOX fixes it I dont mind.

Travel creap (140mm instead of 150mm)...
Was fixed by FOX rep. without charge..so not realy an issue.

I would buy the fork again, but I think that FOX should loose the pinch-bolts altogether and go for some simpler and safer mode of pinching the QR20 axle in its place!!!

Favorite Trail:   juiceofsomeyoungguy

Similar Products Used:   FOX VAN, FOX Vanilla 125,...

Bike Setup:   Who cares ? Its a AM SC Heckler!

Submitted by Andy a Weekend Warrior from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Strengths:    Stiffness - lots of travel - unbelievably light for what it is - the first of what is sure to be copied by all of the other suspension companies.

Weaknesses:    Small bump sensitivity - hard to attain a good slow speed compression feel without running really low air pressure - Fox - please pay RockShox a license for their Maxle design and use it.

Bottom Line:
I really like this fork. I'm not sure if I'm getting 145mm or 160mm - or whatever - as many have complained - I am sure that if I'm going fast and pushing the edge of my abilities this fork works better than any other fork I have used - and there have been many. Yes, it is not the most supple at slow speeds, so I try to go faster... trust me, that's where this thing shines- fast and plush.

Favorite Trail:   the one I'm on

Purchased At:   Stock on my Nomad

Similar Products Used:   This one is kind of in a class of it's own... for now.

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by Dan The Greatest a Weekend Warrior from Adelaide, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, light

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Nice forks. Definately the stiffest I've had, more so than my oldschool White Bros triples (which were crap, really). Surprisingly harsh initially (my first air forks), with the dampening properties of a brick. However, they're sweet after a few break-in rides, moving smoothly through their travel as requried. Haven't noticed any real lack of small bump sensitivity over 05 Zocchi AM2's. Without a 20mm thru-axle the Zocchi's flex their guts out, these don't. Still, not quite the point-an-shoot i was looking for. Travel adjust is handy, but much less user freindly than Zocchi's ETA. Lots of other adjustments, but I ain't yet felt the need to play with 'em. Can't comment on durability, will follow-up in a year.

Favorite Trail:   The Winter/Chambers/WineShanty/Horsenell Loop

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox < BEWARE: DANGEROUS JUNK, White Bros DH90, Zocchi Z1, AM2

Bike Setup:   04 SC Heckler with 07 Fox DHX5.0 (coil), 06 Fox 36Talas RC2, XTR cranks, X.0 drivetrain(gripshift), Hope hubs + EX5.1D rims, Chris King headset, Juicy 7 7" discs, Thomson seat post & stem

Submitted by Vince a Weekend Warrior from Greenfield, WI

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2006

Strengths:    EXTREMELY stiff. Extremely light when compared to how stiff and beefy the 36mm fork is. I've never ridden a fork that had this much adjustment, definitaly a plus if you've got a few hours to go out and ride, and really take your time and figure everything out. The low-speed compression setting is awesome, it hols up the forks travel when you're climbing, and kills most of the usual brake diving but you can tune it perfectly with patience to still remain responsive. Travel adjustment is awesome. i dont know what everyone else is talking about, not being able to adjust it on the fly, it even says in the manual, it takes a few compressions for the travel to sink in. Great stuff!

Weaknesses:    Expensive? Some people might be overwhelmed with all the adjustments.

Bottom Line:
This fork is NOT for someone who wants to get their suspension dialed for EVERY riding condition one might encounter, as it does take time to figure it all out, but it opens up a whole new world of riding, becuase you can adjust it so well. The fork is super expensive, but i see no faults at all in the fork. A superb fork for a sweet light-ish weight trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   John Muir

Similar Products Used:   Pike SL, Pike 454

Bike Setup:   Spooky pitboss

Submitted by Dennis a Cross Country Rider from Southern California

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, adjustable, stiff, long travel, and did I mention stiff? (as in not flexy).

Weaknesses:    Bad reputation - maybe improved for '07? And the price - whoa, I am glad it came on my bike!

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the '07. Maybe things are improved for '07, I would love to have someone with an '06 compare with an '07, I can't do that. The '07 has 160 mm travel with a lever to change the travel from 160-130-100 much easier than previous years.

The chasis is super stiff. The fork steers with far better precision than any other fork I have tried, especially in rough, rocky sections where I am used to being thrown around. I just set it up per the manual - fastest compression settings, mid damping, 25% preload, and it ate up everything well. I was amazed at how stutter sections, drops, etc. just did not have the drama they used to. Maybe the '07 has improved small bump compliance? I have ridden forks with better small bump compliance, but I would not say the Talas 36 has poor small bump compliance.

The travel adjust is a great feature, I use it all the time. I drop the fork for climbs, rake it out for descents. Especially on a long travel, relaxed angle frames it is great thing - dropping the front really helps you climb much better and keeps the front from wandering around so much. The three position dial is a nice improvement. Not only is it faster, but it is easier to know what setting you are in. I now sort of size up a trail for the travel/geometry needed, thinking "this is a 130 section", or "that was a 100 climb", or "those drops were definitely 160s". I do use 160 mm most of the time.

As for travel, I measure mine at 156 mm or 6.14 inches when deflated and pushed down all the way. That is within 2.5% of the stated travel, seems acceptable to me. The stanchions measure 167 long, so you should not expect the lowers to run all the way up the stanchion at full travel on the '07, it seems. Will it keep the travel? Based on these review I will check it periodically - I always ride with a zip tie on one stanchion. But all looks good for now.

Similar Products Used:   Talas 32 130, Reba 100, Lefty 140 SPV

Bike Setup:   Chumba EVO with all the good stuff

Submitted by John Keelan a Cross Country Rider from Golden,CO,USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2006

Strengths:    The 36mm diameter tubes are beefy.

Weaknesses:    There are way too many adjustments on this thing. I am certain all this gimickry will not stand the test of time. I have not found an ideal setup yet. The ride is pretty harsh on small, high frequency washboards unless you let all the air out of it. The travel adjustment is not practical--it takes about 3 full revolutions (15 clicks) to go from minimum to maximum travel--not something you can do on the fly.

Bottom Line:
This thing came on my bike--I will ride it until it implodes then I will have to replace it with a lighter, more plush fork.

Similar Products Used:   Marzochi, rock shox

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 Enduro Pro

Submitted by Sinner a Cross Country Rider from The north

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2006

Strengths:    Looks cool out of the box and on the bike and thats where it stops.

Weaknesses:    Lack of travel, damping cartridge that's not up to the job, weak lower leg clamping area.
Avoid this over priced piece of junk.

Bottom Line:
In six months of ownership, i've had the cartridge blow 3 times, the 3rd time less than a week after being serviced by fox under warranty, and after one days riding!!! I know of lots of other riders having the same problem with their forks losing the damping too. On a recent mountain bike holiday i couldn't stop laughing when i saw a guy who's had tied an inner tube between his fork brace and crown to stop the fork topping out as his 36's had blown.
Lower legs crack around the pinch bolts if you even think of trying to tighten them, fox say you should always use a torque wrench, but who carries a torque wrench with them on the trail! Fox know that they have messed up in this area as they replace the lowers free of charge.
Out of the box, my fork only has 140mm of travel, not bad for a 150mm fork, where is the other 10mm fox? This is with the talas fully wound out and measuring from the top of the oil seal to the crown, only 140mm of travel is possible.
Wouldn't recommend them to anyone, avoid.

Similar Products Used:   Pike's, shermen's, bomber's

Bike Setup:   S/c Nomad dhx coil, full xt, Hope brakes and hubs, thomson stem, King headset, Easton bar and post, Conti tyres.

Submitted by Paul Andrews a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2006

Strengths:    Stiffness, carry, balance, stability, goes where you point it, sucks up big hits, good compression (adjustable for slow and fast), drops down to 4 inches for climbing, light weight

Weaknesses:    None so far. Fox even has solved travel creep this time around. If you back off compression and air it up correctly you get full 160mm.

Bottom Line:
The boys at Downhill Zone worked Fox over for 8 mos. to get me this fork. I thought they were blowing smoke when they said it was one of the first in the country to go out. Then I got to Crankworx and stopped by the Fox booth. They didn't have one and said there just weren't any to be had. They were pretty cranked to see my setup and spent half an hour playing with it, getting it dialed. Spent 3 days slamming the trails at Whistler, almost backed out both bolts on lower 6.6 pivot (hey guys, watch out for this on VPP setups), the fork just railed. I was doing stuff I never tried with my noodle 6er forks, stuff I didn't think I could do. Went off some ramps I was scared of before and rode down slickrock I walked around before. Granted I've only ridden the fork a coupla weeks now but it's the most solid Fox fork of half a dozen I've owned out of the box. Will keep y'all posted!

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Downhill Zone, Seattle

Similar Products Used:   Zoke AM1, Manitou Nixon Platinum (a terrible fork)

Bike Setup:   Intense 6.6 (White Flite), DHX Air 5.0, SRAM, Thomson, XT cranks, Mavic, Nevegals

Submitted by Ted from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Weaknesses:    Loss of Travel!!!

Bottom Line:
THIS FORK IS RIDICOULOUS! FOX IS BASICALLY GUILTY OF FALSE ADVERTISING BECAUSE MY TALAS 36 RC2 HAS ONLY HAD 5.9 INCHES OF TRAVEL FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF 2 MONTHS OUT OF THE 9 THAT I’VE OWNED IT. I JUST SENT IT BACK TO FOX FOR THEM TO FIX IT FOR THE SECOND TIME. NOW, THEY WILL FIX IT, AND IT WILL WORK GREAT FOR ABOUT A MONTH , THEN IT WILL START LOOSING ITS TRAVEL AGAIN AND I’LL EITHER HAVE TO RIDE IT THAT WAY FOR A WHILE OR I’LL HAVE TO BE WITHOUT MY MAIN SQUEEZE FOR 2-3 WEEKS. THAT MY FRIENDS IS A SHI**Y DILEMMA! I WISH FOX WOULD GIVE ME A VAN 36 RC2 OR MY $1000 BACK! BOTTOM LINE: DON’T BUY A FOX FORK

Submitted by rudy selman a Weekend Warrior from san diego cali

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2006

Strengths:    looks, adjustability

Weaknesses:    well mine bottoms out at 140mm like the other guy's.... oh well what are you gonna do

Bottom Line:
this came stock on my bike and i was planning on selling it when i got it and buying a zocchi eta light because of these reviews but the only bad thing about it is the loss of 10mm. other than that its a super nice fork with a really good feel to it. just take the time to set it up

Favorite Trail:   fast ones