RockShox Pilot SL 2005 Front Shocks

• Damping: Motion Control
  • Lowers: One piece magnesium

Submitted by Andre

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2013

Strengths:    good adjustability, separate low/high speed damping circuits, still working 7 years later

Weaknesses:    HEAVY AND FLEXY

Bottom Line:
I bought a used bike with a Pilot SL on it thinking I would have to replace the fork right away. Turns out it's working quite well and is still totally trail worthy! I'm really impressed so far. It is pretty heavy though for a XC fork, and if you look at it while riding you can see it flexing all over the place.

Submitted by scottishrider93 a Weekend Warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2010

Strengths:    Great adjustability, rebound control and damping... fairly solid with minimal flex in high speed corners... they have stood the test of time as they must be nearly five years old and have had roughly 5 owners who to be honest have given them a fair thrashing and they are still plush and smooth. I changed the oil and got new seals last month and they are working like a dream!!

Weaknesses:    Tad heavy and mine are so old the pain is flaking off and rust is forming but mechanically sound...

Bottom Line:
If you can pick a second hand pair up cheap as i did they are well worth it and even if they do break in the near future which i very much doubt then you would have had your moneys worth... I paid £50 pounds sterling (Roughly $100 US dollars) which is well cheap considering their excellent performance, reliability and lovely red colour :D

Favorite Trail:   Laggan Wolftraxs (Scottish highlands)

Purchased At:   Off a mate... second

Similar Products Used:   These are my first decent fork tbh... i had cheapy Suntour XCRs before and they were rubbish...

Bike Setup:   Specialized Hardrock sport frame (2007)...Pilot forks, husslfelt stem, EA50 bars, Fulcrum red metal 5 rims and hubs, Truvative cranks shimano deore drivetrain + shifters, thompson seatpost, specialized saddle, Avid juicy 5 frnt brke, hope mini rear brk both with goodridge hoses,

Submitted by Austin a Weekend Warrior from San anselmo, CA (marin, where it all started)

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    Great lockout, good adjustments, doesn't leak, doesnt bob, or bottom out easily, and its sexy

Weaknesses:    none that i can recall

Bottom Line:
Very good for XC and All mountain. The lockout helps a lot when you have those tough climbs. Its very easy to adjust the rebound according to your trail. BUY IT!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   five corners

Purchased At:   Sunshine

Similar Products Used:   trek 6700, wtb wolf grips, fizick seats, hayes nine.

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700, RS pilot SL(100mm), hayes nine brakes, kenda wheels, wtb grips, fizick seat.

Submitted by Jared a Racer from Park City, UT USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2006

Strengths:    Super adjustability! Very easy to fine tune. Lock out works very nice. Rebound adjustment works very well. Super value and very sturdy.

Bottom Line:
I've switched to RS after going through two different Manitou forks, a Black Elite and a Minute 2:00. Both had a difficult time holding air as I had to regularly check PSI. With the Pilot I check it every few months only to find that it needs little to no air. This fork took a couple of days to fine tune but once I had it dialed in it cooked! I suggest reading the owners manual carefully to learn about all the adjustments you can make. Also, this fork is very sturdy. I could definitely feel both the Black and Minute torqueing under my 210 pound frame, however this thing stands its ground. It also helped to eliminate the disc brake rotor rub I was getting with the other two forks since it helps keep everything aligned. I was going to upgrade to a Reba, but I've been very happy with the Pilot even for racing.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black, Manitou Minute 2:00

Submitted by auzzie a Cross Country Rider from marin

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2006

Strengths:    good lockout. exelent travel, and adjust

Bottom Line:
buy this for cross country bikes. it works very well. you can also use it for urban stuff. works well when using clipless pedals. can use for racing, but mainly use for riding. works well even when going off a jump. i can brag to freinds. basicly, if you are a cross country rider who does some racing, or even just riding,even good for trials, you should get this fork, but if you are looking for a downhill or freeriding fork, this is not for you.

Favorite Trail:   concreat pipe

Similar Products Used:   bad ones.

Bike Setup:   trek 6700 2005 model

Submitted by Ron a Cross Country Rider from Lampasas, TX

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2005

Strengths:    Very easy to set up if you read all the instructions and insure everything is properly lubed. Very plush first half of travel and able to absorb short choppy bumps on fast downhills and even some 1 foot down hill drop offs with no loss of control.

Weaknesses:    Stock spring is too soft for my weight 225lbs. Stiffer spring should take care of this.

Bottom Line:
For budget riders and racers looking for the best fork per dollar to meet your needs this fork could fit the bill. Before buying read reviews and talk to bike shops mechanics. Remember they like to ride also.

Favorite Trail:   Dana Peak Park

Purchased At:   Through the Internet

Similar Products Used:   Pro forks and Rock Shox Mag 21, Indy SL, Quadra 21R.

Bike Setup:   Trek 970 frame with XT component group.

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Midwest

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2005

Strengths:    Very plush : Plenty of 'all-mtn/XC' travel : Effective Lockout : Endless Adjustability

Weaknesses:    Weight : Light factory coil (had LBS install a slightly stiffer one)

Bottom Line:
First off, let me say that this fork is not for Freeride or Downhill. It is a good AllMtn/XC fork.

I'm a little tired of seeing this fork verbally abused. As long as you take the time to read the manual and have it set up 'properly' it is a wonderful fork.

Some people have said "I wanted my fork to be in full complaince. But that that comprimises the lockout..." Well here's the kicker:

If you want super plush suspension, expect a little bobbing to happen. If you want a non bobbing climber, expect to have a stiffer setup. That's physics. That is why there is an "effective lockout"

Some people say that the lockout doesn't do it's job:

There's a blow-by adjustment on the fork that allows it to bypass the lockout if you hit a really big bump when locked out. Read the manual and set it up properly according to your weight. I noticed that when mine is fully locked out and I stand up over it, I can get it to compress a bit but that's just fine for climbing. It's less than an inch and it's VERY stiff.

Some people say that the fork LOSES AIR:

I actually had this problem and was ready to have Rock Shox trade me out for a coil Duke or something. I took it to my bike shop and had them lube up the seals and "assist cartrige." I have since ridden this bike time-after-time and the fork has lost absolutely ZERO air since the proper lubing. If you read the service manual, you will see a section that states the air assist cartrige needs to have a small amount of oil in it to keep the seal. Mine for some reason didn't. Now that it is 'setup properly' it works perfectly.

C-dale tout's their "uninterrupted travel" concept that is VERY well deserved, but...I detect absolutely ZERO stiction with this fork. It is buttery smooth through all 4" of travel. I used to ride needle bearing forks until I bought this bike B/C I was skeptical of std. forks. This mid/low level fork has made me a believer. Much more adjustable than any Headshock I have ridden.

For all of the people out there that say "Throw this fork away and buy Terralogic"... this fork was not made to compete with Fox Racing products in turn, the people who are looking to buy this fork can't afford a $700 fork. Why even suggest such a thing unless it's just for bragging rights?

For the price you pay, this fork is very nice. It's a little flexy for big riders like myself (210lbs), but I love it to death. When it's set up properly, it performs as stated...plush and predictable.

Purchased At:   Capp's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   All Kind's of suspension products

Bike Setup:   '05 Fisher HKEK-Stock + LX Hollotech II Cranks

Submitted by Darren a Cross Country Rider from Leicester

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2005

Strengths:    Lockout, light, cheap and lots of adjustment.

Weaknesses:    Blew the o-ring at the bottom of the lockout assembly after 2 months. I think due to too hard a hit while locked out.

Bottom Line:
These forks are adjustable to hell and back. They can take a good beating but remember to not do anything offroad when locked out, unless you are climbing! When out of the saddle and honking it is invaluable.

They are simple to rebuild (after my seal issue). And the instructions off the Rock Shox site are easy to follow. While off the weight is pretty good for the price.

If you have this kind of budget either get these or Marzocchi MX Comp ETAs.

There is no way I am ever going to buy non-lockout forks now!

Favorite Trail:   Belvoir Loop

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Blacks, Marzocchi MX Comps

Bike Setup:   Trek 6700 with new wheels (Hope XC + Mavic 717s)

Submitted by wj from singapore

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2005

Strengths:    good suspension, locking for road, reasonable price for its features

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
this is one good fork. as a hybrid rider, i have utmost versatality. when i require stiffness with a little suspension to cut off those little bumps on the road. when i require suspension, the motion damper gives it all. smooth rides over those trails. excellent for begginers/intermediates.

Submitted by Mike Eads from Yokosuka, Japan

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2005

Strengths:    versatility, stiff, looks good

Weaknesses:    air requires shock pump

Bottom Line:
this fork is great for my set up, i run it pretty soft. If i want to hammer i just lock it out. the only thing i don't like is that it is kind of noisy. it kind of rattles if i hit a bump with no weight on the front. For the money it is great, it is fully adjustable, i have never bottomed it out even though i run it very soft. I love it.

Purchased At:   price point

Similar Products Used:   sr suntour, rigid fork

Bike Setup:   nashbar trekking bar, rockshox pilot sl fork, cannondale bad boy frame,

Submitted by Anthony Lambert a Cross Country Rider from Chile

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    Travel adjustment between 80 and 100mm - Motion Control Damping - Light Weight

Weaknesses:    When I bought it came defective, not until I took it to my local bike shop and had it opened, re oiled did it begin performing as it is advertised! The internal spring was not doing its job, it was bending and not compressing as a spring should do, which obviously affected the travel, which was only 55mm!

Bottom Line:
Excellent Shocks, still think Rock Shox are the best for cross country, but would recommend you really check them before leaving the shop!

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes

Similar Products Used:   Insync....

Bike Setup:   Trek 4300

Submitted by Alex from Utah

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Strengths:    motion control damping, and it absorbs every bumps

Weaknesses:    noisy when compare to my friend'smanitou six

Bottom Line:
it's kinda stiff when u lock it, but if u unlock it; it's way soft

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Six

Bike Setup:   alluminium alloy bike frame with Pilot SL

Submitted by Alex from Utah

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2005

Strengths:    motion control damping, and it absorbs every bumps

Weaknesses:    noisy when compare to my friend'smanitou six

Bottom Line:
it's kinda stiff when u lock it, but if u unlock it; it's way soft

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Six

Bike Setup:   alluminium alloy bike frame with Pilot SL

Submitted by Jose a Cross Country Rider from Plantation, FL

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2005

Strengths:    Has Motion Control Damping, Rebound Adjust, PopLoc Adjust

Weaknesses:    Crapy Adjustments,Lock out works when feels like

Bottom Line:
I wanted my fork to be in full complaince. But that that comprimises the lockout, and in turn the lock out will bob like crazy.Then if i want full lock out its great untill u unlock and the fork only moves 40mm.DO NOT BUY THIS FORK.
I've learned my lesson. Im moving on with better technology like SPV, Terralogic.

Favorite Trail:   Markham, Razor Back

Purchased At:   Jenson

Submitted by Krasp a Weekend Warrior from Tarzana, California, USA

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2004

Strengths:    I have the 80mm SL version. Motion Control Compression system works well. Flip the knob and you have great stiffness for pushing on straights. Travel is great for my uses.

Weaknesses:    Mine seems to leak. I took the bike in after first hard ride, and there was NO air in the shock. Filled it, went on one short ride, and it feels almost emoty again. Bottoms when hitting jumps consistently.

Bottom Line:
Assuming I get this puppies suspected leak taken care of, I give it a great review. It seems to take jumps well on initial air-up. The Motion Control Compression system gives great front support when digging in on the straights. Great all around fork. If you want to really thrash hard, then I'd say this isn't the one. I have an older Judy 100 with medium springs on a GT, and it's way better when thrashing in the hills. I'll follow up on the leak issue....

Favorite Trail:   All the surounding hills of the SFV

Purchased At:   Came stock on 2005 Trek 6700 Disc @ Valley Bicycles in Chatsworth, Ca.