RockShox Boxxer Ride 2005 Front Shocks

4.22/5 (9 Reviews)
Weight : 3265 grams MSRP : $700.00

• New 133-178mm (5.25-7”) U-Turn Travel Adjustment
  • New lower leg for increased stiffness, durability and tire clearance
  • Super clean cable routing
  • Adjust: External Rebound Speed
  • Steerer Tube: Butted Easton Aluminum

Submitted by mike spurrell a Downhiller from mount pearl canada

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2007

Strengths:    light,good rebound,and u-turn is nice

Bottom Line:
best fork i ever rode worth the munney and nice fealing

Favorite Trail:   white hills

Purchased At:   canary cycles

Similar Products Used:   junior t and fox 40

Bike Setup:   demo 7 double track all saint parts and boxxer ride

Submitted by mark evans a Downhiller from Banchory, Scotland

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2007

Strengths:    adjustable travel

Weaknesses:    external adjustment has little effect, rebound waaaaay too slow, my forks spike at 5 inches (even wen set at 7in), bad compression damping

Bottom Line:
ok forks, i wouldnt specifically choose them, i got them with my bike, if youwant an adjustable freeride fork go for a marzocchi 888 sl.

Favorite Trail:   pitfichie dh

Purchased At:   alpine bikes (oem)

Similar Products Used:   rockshox boxxer team and world cup, 888r, vf, vf2, rcx2, fox 40rc2,

Bike Setup:   ironhorse 7point5, saint cranks, xt running gear, hayes brakes, hope hubs on mavic rims,

Submitted by TheGuyYouKnow from Canada

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2007

Strengths:    light, u turn is pretty kool, look good

Weaknesses:    take a while to break in

Bottom Line:
good forks, definetly worth the money

Bike Setup:   05 AC w. azonic rims, these forks, truvativ blaze cranks other stock forks

Submitted by cameron rosset a Downhiller from aldergrove

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2005

Strengths:    fully ajustable from 133 to 178 light strong

Weaknesses:    a bit bobby but what do you expect

Bottom Line:
the best fork i ever rode

Favorite Trail:   time killer

Purchased At:   cove

Similar Products Used:   boxxer race sherman slider plus

Bike Setup:   o3 aline boxxer ride mag 30 double trak carumba cranks

Submitted by Kerry a Weekend Warrior from Kelowna

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Strengths:    Strong without being overly heavy. So smooth.

Weaknesses:    Lack of adjustments, but for the price I can't complain.

Bottom Line:
I've only ridden this fork 3 times on the trails but coming from the Mr.T makes this fork feel like a dream. The Fox 40 I tried felt mushy compared to this fork but that is most likely down to rider setup. The stability and control is amazing and the ability to crank it down to ride up has made all the difference between a wobbly ride up and a totally comfortable and controlled one. I can't wait to ride this fork all season.

Favorite Trail:   Vapour

Purchased At:   Cyclepath

Similar Products Used:   tried old red Boxxers and Fox 40. Rode a Mr.T for 4 seasons.

Bike Setup:   Bullit- mostly stock build

Submitted by Dusty D a Downhiller from Reno, Nevada, USA

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2005

Strengths:    Beefy, Adjustable, Buttery Smooth w/travel left over for big hits, mucho tire clearance. Travel adjustment knob is made of metal and is durable. Looks GREAT. Says "RIDE" on it :)

Weaknesses:    Expensive, Squishy on the climbs (expected), Bumpers crack and fall apart (expected), No Tullio (C'mon Rock Shox . . . what happened? Tullio was a GREAT feature.). Axel has a plastic (why?) screw in keeper that can be tough to get out.

Bottom Line:
Me likee very muchee. I am not picky, SPV can kiss my SP-@ss, I'm not trying to win a cross country race and I ride a Banshee. If you desire an adjustable fork, there aren't that many options. If you desire an adjustable DC fork, there are even LESS options. I feel blessed to have this great adjustable front fork in such an easily monopolized sector of the market.

Stock, it's EXACTLY what I wanted. It is burly, inpiring confidence on take-off and (more importantly) landing. I ride extremely rocky trails at Northstar Downhill MB park. This fork eats up the babies' heads and doesn't bottom out on the 7' drops.

The first 4 inches of travel are so smooth that you fully expect it to bottom on you. But despite launching off some fairly large hits, my seals have yet to wipe the upper-most inch of the stancions. I have no desire to purchase stiffer springs.

Coming from a Shiver DC (ultra plush, very wide, super burly), I don't even consider this a step back. It is a definite UPGRADE. In a perfect world, I would say invert it, because that way, you'd have the weight of the lowers up where you could control it.

I'm goin for it . . . 5 and 5

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, S. Lake Tahoe

Purchased At:   Rim Tours in Moab, Utah

Similar Products Used:   Shiver DC

Bike Setup:   Extra Large "Burnt Champagne" Chaparral frame, w/an 05 Boxxer RIDE (5"-7" adjustable DC fork) w/Core-Rat fork guards, Romic rear shock w/850lb spring (just upgraded from 750lb spring, 850lb is strongest made for this stroke length), Front: Mavic EX 823 Disc UST w/Michelin DH16 Tubeless 2.5", Rear: Mavic 321 Disc w/Intense 909 FRO 2.5" & Maxxis DH tube, FUNN front bars, Race Face Diabolus stem, Chris King Headset, Hayes Mag hydro disc brakes/levers w/8" rotors front & rear, Shimano XT cranks, Shimano SPD pedals (or Wellgo platforms), Shimano bottom bracket (size?), 22/32 FSA chainrings, Race-Face bash-guard, Shimano XT rear cassette, Shimano LX shifters, Shimano chain, ODI Ruffian lock-on grips, Praxxis seat-post, WTB Speed-V saddle.

Me: 220lb w/armor, 6'5" tall, agressive downhill/free-ride dude.

Submitted by matt holgado a Downhiller from london

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    Stifness/tracking, adjustability, weight, direct mount stem compatability.

Weaknesses:    Stock spring too soft.

Bottom Line:
For a bike as adjustable as the 2004 bighit (sad to see them go, demo 8 too heavy for me), the Ride is a great fork to pair up with (true freeride capabilities with the u-Turn). Its held up well to abuse so far and has taken some big drops with ease.

My only problem was the spring, as out the box it was too soft for me (sram say its set up for a 65-75kg rider, but at 73kgs, it was still a bit soft). Swapped for a slightly firmer spring and all is good.

Maintanence is also real easy. If youre over 73 kgs, think about getting a harder spring (TF Tuned does one now).

Favorite Trail:   penshurst

Purchased At:   woolly hat shop

Similar Products Used:   Jr T, Monster T's, Boxxer Race

Bike Setup:   custom big hit expert, Swinger 4-way, Boxxer Ride, Hope Mono M4's, XT, E13, Singletracks on Deore, Gusset thru hub.

Submitted by Jason Tan a Downhiller from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Strengths:    U-Turn, definitely. IMHO, doesn't make it any less of a "real" DH fork. Stiff, feels real solid. Direct mount stem compatible.

Weaknesses:    None so far. Found the new disc mount sizing a bit confusing.

Bottom Line:
This is my third thru-axle fork and second dual crown. I don't know what I was thinking when I got the Dropoffs. Don't cheap out on major parts, especially forks & frames, ESPECIALLY not if you're going to race them DH. The DOs, while probably good enough for just plain hucking, suck on the bumpy stuff as they have no rebound adjust. And the QR20 bolts broke while I was riding so the other assorted locking hardware just fell off, never to be found.

Enough about the DOs, the Ride rules! 7" is enough for me, and where I am, there aren't any chairlifts so dialing the U-Turn down to 5" helps a lot for climbing. At first I thought the Ride might not be a "real" DH fork. If anything, the Rides have helped me be a better DHer simply because I can do more runs. Riding is faster than walking up the hill. Think of them as an old Race with U-Turn, if you will.

Favorite Trail:   Rock Garden, Bukit Kiara