Marzocchi All Mountain II 2005 Front Shocks

• External Rebound Adjuster
  • ETA (Top)

Submitted by schlappmacher a Weekend Warrior from Bavaria, Germany

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff for its given weight. Excellent value for money. Simple construction for self-maintenance.

Weaknesses:    ETA does not work properly
Marzocchi does not provide schematics or detailed tech specs for DIY.

Bottom Line:
My commment to previous postings would be: Read the Manual for the specified use! The All Mountain series forks are not designed and not intended to be used for big jumps or serious hucking.

The MZ All Mountain II offers excellent performance w/o a hefty price tag attached. I will re-use the fork for a moderate free-ride MTB for an intermediate time only. Go for the Marzocchi AM II, if you are after a simple an durable fork

Favorite Trail:   Any trail w/ flow in the German Alps

Purchased At:   German online store

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MX Comp and MX Pro Models

Bike Setup:   JAMIS XLT 2.0 - custom-built Single Speed All-Mountain Bike

Submitted by Mika Arasola a Weekend Warrior from Helsinki, Finland

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2007

Strengths:    Cheap, works

Weaknesses:    Heavy, rebount damping adjuster lives a life of it's own, recomended oil amount is too high

Bottom Line:
The fork is good value for money, but not perfect. My rebount damping adjuster lives a life of it's own, increasing damping all the time. Luckily the lever has now fallen off, maby that will help. It's pretty plush, but fairly hard to set up. If you put the recomended amount of oil you lose travel, the right way to do it seems to be to take added oil out until travel is ok again. ETA is great for climbing.

My fork is an OEM version, so it was really cheap. I think the main difference to the retail one is that this has a steel stearing tube.

Purchased At:   german webstore

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black, Fox Vanilla, RS Pike, Psylo, Judy

Bike Setup:   Planet-X Armadillo, BB7, SRAM X-9, E.13 Components LG1, Shimano Saint cranks, XT/Mavic XM321 wheels.

Submitted by Viktor a Weekend Warrior from Bratislava

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, strong, SEXY and adjustable.

Weaknesses:    9mm axle limits its use to XC/AM/moderate FR only.
ETA is not as good as IT from Manitou

Bottom Line:
I would not go with the aftermarket SSVF crap. This HSCV OEM version is very hard to find, but eats all in its way. I have even tried my local DH trail and it was nearly as sweet as my shiver dc. Very nice. Keep oil high and air as low as it gets.

Similar Products Used:   RS Pike: nice fork, but I changed to this one although I had to pay more!
Z150FR (same fork except for steel stanchions and 20mm axle)

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Swinger 3w Magura Louise Easton Bars...

Submitted by Peter from Budapest, Hungary

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    It's real plush moves very nicely. Can't feel the bumps, absorbs bigger jumps too. ETA works like a charm, great fork for climbing.

(note: I have a 150mm OEM version with HSCV damping)

Weaknesses:    weight. I use it wit a hardtail, and all the weight is in the front. Needs some time to get used to it. Should not be an issue in a fully probably. But if you consider that it contains 350-400g of oil -then its not a heavy fork anymore.

Of course it'd be a lot stiffer with a bolt-on axle. Still it's not so flexy as my black even with 185mm discs.

Bottom Line:
After my troubles with the Manitous (stops moving in cold, damping dies, etc) I was choosing between the RS Revelation and the Marzo AM1 or 2.
The RS is a great fork but its movement is noweher compared to this. The ETA is a must after you have tried it once.
If you have the money the AM1 is a better choice probably, but this was almost half the price on ebay than the AM1. Great fork for do-what-you-like touring seasoned with some jumping and smaller drops.

Favorite Trail:   local singletracks

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   2003 Manitou Six Sport, 2004 Manitou Black Comp 100, and some oldies

Bike Setup:   On-One Inbred 456 cromo hardtail. Using it for agressive (passing through everything I face) XC.

Submitted by dan hill a Cross Country Rider from adelaide, australia

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2005

Strengths:    really feel nice and plush, dig the ETA, alloy steerer tube, adjust once and forget, classic Marzocchi durability.

Weaknesses:    flexy... definately NOT a hard-core DH fork. i've seen the front wheel twist like 30 degrees... scary.

Bottom Line:
yeah, pretty good forks.

eta works brilliantly, although, the change in geometry makes the front wheel a bit twitchy, to be expected. have absolutely thrashed these forks every 2-3 days for 6 months, through a wet, muddy winter, and they haven't even hinted at any problems, what-so-ever. still super plush. won't bother servicing these until i've given em at least another 6 months of abuse. the other forks i've had fell apart after this much use. i originaly bought a pair of 05 Fox Vanilla RLC forks, as they came highly recommended. had them lying flat on the floor of my car for about half an hour, went to pick em up and they were sitting in a pool of oil... took em straight back, got these instead. i've had these Marzocchis upside down for days and not lost a drop of oil. can't beat Marzocchi for build quality. certainly the best forks i've had, though i'm aware there's little comparison between old school forks and todays models.

kinda wish i'd gotten something with a 20mm thru axle. can get a bit knarly hooking 'round tight corners with a sketchy front wheel... still, can hit most obsticles with impunity, so long as you hit 'em straight on... lateral flex could be improved.

Favorite Trail:   chambers gully