Marzocchi 66 RC 2005 Front Shocks

• External Air Preload
  • MX Cartridges Design

Submitted by mr.sammyDH a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    super plush, look very good, second hand ones can be bought very cheap now, seals and wipers can be bought easily (although i havent tone so(yet)).... all adjustmens and air preload are very effective. its sensitive and works.

Weaknesses:    nothing apart from it took a while for me to understand what the compression adjustment did (at first it seemed like it did nothing)... i put it as far in the '+' direction as i could and it seems like the fork completly stops 70% of the way through the travel if i REALLY bottom out. so its more like a bottom out resistance lol.dont care tho, its awsome

Bottom Line:
its 2nd hand now i found out from its origional owner, the fork is now 8 years old and hasnt got a service once through every weekend DH riding (yes im being serious) and ... it still works. seals are still good, it keeps the air inside it (still) wtf? if you ask me. so yea its reliable, strong and overall a damn good fork. buy one, dont hesitate. oh yes, buy a shock pump and air adaptor with it too :)

Favorite Trail:   anything rough and fast

Duration Product Used:   me: 1 year. origional owner:7 years

Purchased At:   my friend

Submitted by sam

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2012

Strengths:    look amazing with the 3D decals, feel unreal, overall awsome and SUPER PLUSH

Weaknesses:    pfft... weaknesses with these? catch yourself on... aint no weaknesses with these bad boys!

Bottom Line:
look awsome, feel awsome, marzocchi. just awsome. buy them.

Submitted by Sanchez a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2012

Strengths:    Very strong and powerfull though allowing excellent control in all circumstances.This forks works just fantastic, coupled with a DHX 5.0 coil on a quad suspension Marin quake 7.2 it s the best fork I ve owned..

Weaknesses:    NONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Bottom Line:
Having in mind the main purpouse of the fork (FR+DH) it s really amusing how good this fork works in urban environement, for jumping on the stairs or just fooling around.When yo ride in ther city with that fork it feels a beet chopper but king of the road.Really effective in urban speeding...For the DH and FR all is said so just bravo Italia, it s really a BOMB(ER)

Favorite Trail:   Sljeme (i m leaving at the bottom of the mountain a little over 1100m. in the outskirts of the city

Purchased At:   authorized dealer

Similar Products Used:   totem, lyrik

Bike Setup:   MARIN QUAKE XLT QUAD LINK SUSPENSION, REAR DHX 5.0 &TITANIUM COIL, BRAKES SHIMANO SAINT, ALL MECH SRAM x9.

Submitted by fvaldivia a Downhiller from santiago,chile

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2011

Strengths:    super plush,super sensible, i love this fork, C cartridge tuneable by an adjusment aftermarket sleeve, change the oil at specified times, keep it clean and it will last forever.

Weaknesses:    if you use it in freeride it maybe too heavy to pedal uphill, but it will worth the muscle gain. sometimes it´s somewhat flexible.

Bottom Line:
this is an awesome fork, it has very simple internals, very user serviceable, although it´s cartridges are sealed, you can buy a low speed compression sleeve to slide over the compression cartridge and change the springs and choose on 2 lenghts 150mm or 170mm, bombproof fork can take any jump and because zoke controls the bottoming on oil level, it can never bottom out. if you´re looking to learn how forks work and a very sensitive fork, buy it, it is already proven, it has 6 years in the market and still there are a lot of new spares around.

Favorite Trail:   parva,huinganal,tiltil

Purchased At:   a friend,2nd owner

Similar Products Used:   rs totem, fox vanilla, manitoy nixon tpc+,suntour duro fr20, rs pike, rst crap...

Bike Setup:   ´08 bottlerocket,´05 MZ66 rc,fox float rp23XV,sunrims singletrack (welded),slx tranny 2x10 speed,´08 avid juicy seven

Submitted by d-dawgz a Downhiller from penticton

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2010

Strengths:    sucks ass rode day i got it snaped the dam things

Weaknesses:    stanchions snapped first ride

Bottom Line:
these forks are okay but cause me to lose my front teeth becuse the stanchions snapped

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   came with bike demo

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   2008 demo 7 1

Submitted by gambino369 a Weekend Warrior from Zgreb-Croatia

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    confidence inspiring-Easy maintenance-design:all black with nice stickers (matches wll with my white frame-:))
easy to adjust .....in 6 months I never had a slightest problem with it even on the most demanding terrains...absorbs all...in 2 words it s a real "shHit eater"...and yeah ,I know it s not the newest model on the market but it works superbly ....I ll keep it on my bike for some time cause this is exactly the product I need ..almost zero maintenance and it works...everywhere

Weaknesses:    n/a so far

Bottom Line:
If you are looking for a RELIABLE-ALMOST UNBREAKABLE-ShHIT EATER -that requires low maintenance buy the bobmber,you won t be dissapointed

Favorite Trail:   Le Venosc

Purchased At:   came with a bike

Bike Setup:   frame marin quake 7.2 xlt-rear dhx 5.0-brakes Avid code 5-rest is stock

Submitted by Drummer888 a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2009

Strengths:    Its strength and size

Weaknesses:    Weight

Bottom Line:
I weigh 90kg, and ride a large frame, These are by far the most silky smooth single crown forks ive ever ridden. Plush off jumps (truly soaks them up) and they will stand a beating.

Favorite Trail:   Woodhill

Purchased At:   Second Hand

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi 888 Junior T

Bike Setup:   06 Giant AC2, manitou 4 way swinger, Marzocchi 66RC's, Hayes Nines, Truvativ Cranks & BB, some other good stuff that sparkles in the sunshine.

Submitted by Soulrider222 a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2009

Strengths:    The best damn fork available in 2005, period. This is clearly a winner in the DH/FR category. Dedicated 20mm thru-axle with two clamp down bolts per leg drop-out, think about it.....

Weaknesses:    Describe for me what weakness is defined as please, because this fork represents nothing of the such, near as I can tell for the last 4 years. If cost is a weakness of said product, then weak forks structurally should be cheap.

Bottom Line:
If you bought this fork, you were smart. If you want this fork, too bad. 2005 was a good year.

Favorite Trail:   any and all that don't kill me

Purchased At:   Soul Cycles of Arizo

Similar Products Used:   1996 Answer Manitou 4, 2000 Marzocchi Z1 CR, 2003 Rock Shox Psylo 20mm, etc.

Bike Setup:   2005 Marzocchi 66RC 150mm fork and don't even get me started on all the rest of my equipment....bling, bling, bling.

Submitted by Hui Chuen a Downhiller from Penang, Malaysia

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2008

Strengths:    Freakin strong fork, super plush... damn sexy front end...Small bmp sensitivity is at it's best...

Weaknesses:    none, just the 3D "bomber" stickers coming off

Bottom Line:
By this fork and forget about going to a bike shop to change another one...

Favorite Trail:   Everywhere

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   RS Domain 318

Bike Setup:   2001 Stinky primo frame

Submitted by Jason Pepper a Downhiller from Toronto

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2007

Strengths:    180mm of travel, single crown, looks great, fits almost any bike.

Bottom Line:
THE BEST FORKS ON THE MARKET RIGHT NOW, BETTER THAT ANY SINGLE CROWN! For those of you sick of dual crowns but want lots of travel, these are the ones to get, they may be expensive but there definatly worth it!

Favorite Trail:   Green Belt

Similar Products Used:   888rc, super T, Manitou Travis ti... all the best

Bike Setup:   kona stinky, hayes, e-13, deemax, chris king...

Submitted by Brett Gill a Downhiller from Ithaca, NY, USA

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2007

Strengths:    Super strong, plush, all black, super rigid brake mount. The stock springs were firm enough for me and I weigh 275Lbs. That is super rare! Big thumbs-up for the big M!!!

Weaknesses:    paint,air-preload covers get lost easilly...

Bottom Line:
This fork is the best dang fork I have ever ridden! People ask me with the Morphine, why not a dual-crown, and I tell them this fork is plenty for me, and espescially after it proved it self by ovalizing the head-tube of my ClifCat TANKA$$, after the TANKA$$ handled the MONSTER-T for two summers!!!

If you're a heavy rider or very rough rider afraid of breaking parts, then this is for you. If you're a light rider who counts ounces on his bike, then this fork would be your worst nightmare!

Favorite Trail:   Cornell University(1 rought/13 staircases)

Purchased At:   private dealer

Similar Products Used:   '03 DJ1, '99 Z1-CR, '99 Monster-T

Bike Setup:   Banshee Morphine, 66RC, Holzfellers, trail-pimps...

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Strengths:    Very plush on the high speed chatter bumps. Feels like butter on gaps, drops, step downs, etc. Great adjustability with the compression and rebound - easy to dial in the suspension. Easy to maintain. Adjustable from 6 - 7 inches. Low maintenance fork - have not had any problems with the internals. Very reliable fork.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
After riding the Boxxer Race and Slider +, the 66RC was infintely better than these two forks. I had more confidence in cornering, rolls, drops, gaps, step-downs, etc. with these forks. With the two previous forks I had major problems with malfunctioning internals (twice for both forks) yet I have not had any problems with this reliable fork. Great fork.

Favorite Trail:   Platinum

Purchased At:   Rocky Cycle

Similar Products Used:   2003 Boxxer Race, 2005 Sherman Slider +

Bike Setup:   2005 Bullit, Fox DHX 5.0, 26" minions, 24" high rollers

Submitted by Boudreaux a Weekend Warrior from NC

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2006

Strengths:    Looks! Single-Crown - can do anything a 7" monster t can only better and with more adjustability. Progressive travel - first couple of inches are easy and smooth and as you progressively use more travel it gets much stiffer. Adjustments - you can tune 100% of the travel of this fork to your liking. Axle to Crown height - some complain about this but I bought this instead of an 06 because I really like the way it slackens the geometry of my frame. Steering radius - no double crown = better steering. Did I mention single crown? - makes your double crown friends look like p*ssy's!

Weaknesses:    None that I have discovered.

Bottom Line:
The first time I used it I took it on a very technical downhill ride with lots of rock gardens, steep rock faces, creek gaps and jumps. The first ride down intimidated me some because I was used to seeing a double crown under me. However, this thing is 1.5 inches taller and wider than my buddies Jr T. Its a beast over rocks and the suspension is awesome. When I used to have my Jr T I constantly felt like I was bottoming it out. I'm 215 lbs and the progressive travel on this thing is amazing. Overall, awesome fork, if you can find one cheap and used I highly recommend it. Its awesome when you can go faster and bigger than your friends who are riding double crown Jr T's, Monsters, Super T's. Best upgrade I have made and I know I won't go back to double crown. I really like the axle to crown height @ 595 mm, only 10 mm less than an 8" travel 888!

Favorite Trail:   sugar

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   2003 Marzocchi Jr. T, 2002 RockShox Psylo Race, Manitou Sherman, Manitou Nixon

Bike Setup:   05' Kona Stinky, 66RC, Holzfeller, XT, D321/Mammoth rims, Marzocchi/Rolf hubs, Hayes

Submitted by dima a Downhiller from landan

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2006

Strengths:    amazingly strong, supple and stiff. easy to modify and usual marzocchi reliability. it just works

Weaknesses:    some people find it heavy but to be honest, if youre even considering them then weight shouldnt be on your mind. they weighg 7.3 pounds by the way.

Bottom Line:
basically, i messed around with the internals, sawing springs in half, putting bits of household plumbing here and there, drilling holes and practicing witchcraft in moderation...... in the end, i ended up with a 80mm travel version of the 66 which has a greater internal overlap than the travel it now has making it the stiffest fork on the planet, literally.
it makes a great street fork for caining around in london with and jumping off stuff knowing it will out-live mankind.

amazing fork with unpresidented potential...... underneath all that matcho extreme free-ride marketing layes a fork which outdoes ANY dirtjump/street fork ever conceived. you aint ready.

Purchased At:   work