Manitou Splice Super 2005 Front Shocks

2.33/5 (75 Reviews)

The all new for '05 Splice Super delivers value and performance at a great price. All the features you'd find on a top end fork are here, including a Rapid Travel Wind Down adjuster that lets you change the travel from 100-130mm, Fluid Flow damping, and a lockout knob so you can climb and sprint with power, even in "long-travel" mode.

Submitted by lololol

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Strengths:    it holds my weight and its smooth for jumps

Weaknesses:    not enough to adjus

Bottom Line:
ovall its good

Submitted by mblangbehn a Weekend Warrior from Tenino, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2011

Strengths:    Takes a beating, inexpensive, does what it's suposed to, reliable

Weaknesses:    No Lockout

Bottom Line:
So here's the deal... This fork does exactly what it is suposed to, I point my bike where I want to go and it takes me there without dumping me on my head or causing me to soil my drawrs. This is the 130mm comp no frills modle (I'd rather spend my time riding than trying to dial crap in or count grams) AM riding in the muck, roots and rocks of Capitol Forest in the Pacific Northwest is no joke and not for the faint of heart and in the 5 years I've owned it it this fork has never let me down. I weigh just this side of 300 Lbs fully geared up and I've never bottomed this thing out and it doesn't have so much as a little leak anywhere. I can't say what it would do on big air stuff because where I ride anything more than a few feet will end bad but for true AM riding I have no complaints. I like it so much that it will be going on my Turner 5 Spot that will be here next week

Favorite Trail:   Green line 6

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Exvert super, Rock Shox Duke, Fox

Bike Setup:   2006 GT I Drive 5, XT derailures, Race Face Cranks, Deore M525 Brakes

Submitted by Elchulachaser a Downhiller from Jersey City

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2010

Strengths:    I own 3.

The RTWD 100mm travel (in question) GARBAGE!!! but was on the bike bought and matched the Red, white, blue rig paint scheme...
The 130FF Comp and Elites are both light and strong.. They seem to be built as if they were made by different manufacturers..

Mind you, the 100mm says Taiwan, The 130FF Elite and Comps say USA.

Weaknesses:    The RTWD 100mm travel version sucks.. This was equipped on a K2 Razorback Team issue I assume for the color (blue) and I took the bike on a test ride today, Lets just say that the fork seemed to only have 80mm of travel including the 12-18mm sag as on the manual and not the full 100mm. I didn't mind becuase it rode fairly but was way too springy feeling. Getting to the worst part was when I hit a nice log run and the fork did a poor job of absorbing the bumps even when the compression was adjusted which didn't seem to do much... anyway, when I came down off the end log, the rebound leg cap (it's plastic!?!?!) popped off and hit my helment aswell as the lower rebound knob had snapped clean off.. Luckily, I was able to thread the stupid cap on and rode (limped the bike) back to the parking lot where little to my dismay... All the rebound leg oil had leaked out and the rebound adjuster rod had actually snapped!!!! What a piece of garbage!!!!

Bottom Line:
Don't EVEN look to the 70-100mm RTWD Splices if you choose the cheap route.. They are cheaply (for a nicer choice of words) made and you can buy alot better of a fork... I'm pro Marzocchi personally but I do own the better built Splice Elites and Comps with 130mm FF travel which are GREAT sets of forks.. I ride these on my other XC rigs and cannot complain as they are 1 lb lighter than my Marzocchi forks.... Go figure..

Favorite Trail:   Central Jersey

Purchased At:   Locally

Similar Products Used:   Nothing this bad.. Even the old All grease 100mm X Vert of pre 2000 is more solid and burly than this!!! I still have one hanging.

Bike Setup:   K2 Razorback team 4" travel with upgraded Fox Air pull shock w/ lockout.. Full XT 9 speed drive including cranks.. Mavic Crossride bladed wheels. Magura HS33 Hydraulic V Brakes. This thing was 21 lbs!!!

Submitted by Franklynation a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2008

Strengths:    Looks great. Rides well over most XC terrain

Weaknesses:    Doesn't handle anything big. Rebound adjustment doesn't do that much and could do with some more adjustments

Bottom Line:
A good first fork upgrade, but make sure you buy the 100-130mm version, not the 70-100mm like I did, as you will never use the lower setting. Works well for me as I am quite light (118lb), but I wouldn't reccomend for a heavier rider. Overall, works well for me. Good for XC and mild mountain trails, but do NOT buy if you ride downhill or on very rough trails, as it just isn't designed for it and it wont take it. Reasonable fork though.

Similar Products Used:   Some rubbish stock Suntours.

Bike Setup:   08 Giant Yukon Pretty much stock, with a few changes

Submitted by Nick Key from tucson,az,us

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2008

Strengths:    Nice color

Weaknesses:    Bottom nut came loose. creaked really bad. ended up cracking the tube. leaked. and was very stiff even with low pressure. would get stuck in the compressed position with all the lubrication in the world

Bottom Line:
Dont use this shock. I hated it. The only thing i like is its color. For probably 100 dollars more you can go out and buy yourself a nice rock Shox Reba

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MZ1

Bike Setup:   IronHorse Azure

Submitted by matt schisler from london ON Canada

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2007

Strengths:    the shock is ok for a few months but turns to crap (you almost have to baby the shock)

Weaknesses:    plastic parts, can easly blow seals, leaks oil... do i need to continue

Bottom Line:
if you have this shock you may want to look for a new one as a back up because when it goes it goes

Favorite Trail:   n/a

Bike Setup:   gary fisher bitter

Submitted by Andrés a Weekend Warrior from Santiago de Chile.

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2007

Strengths:    Nice look, soft.

Weaknesses:    Plastic parts.

Bottom Line:
Ia agree whit the people to say "this fork is for XC ride not for DH or Extreme Jumpers Riders" The fork it´s ok, i don´t have promblems wiht it. I used in a fast and technical XC trail (almost nothing of jumps 4 foot +) and it works prety good, may be the adjustment is a little lazy... i hope don´t get any troubles whit the fork. Bye and sorry for my english.. i´m improving...

Favorite Trail:   San Cristobal Trails

Purchased At:   Sparta

Similar Products Used:   Pbone.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Sugar 4, Deore LX, Rock Shox Bar, Bontager

Submitted by robb a Downhiller from surrey bc canada

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2007

Strengths:    stiff..im a big guy and it holds up well

Weaknesses:    not enough external adjustments.

Bottom Line:
good fork for value but i wouldnt ever buy it again

Similar Products Used:   dirtjam comp. pro. dj1,2,3

Bike Setup:   custom 05 norco atomik

Submitted by MELCHOR ACOLOLA a Cross Country Rider from SILAY CITY, PHILIPPINES

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2007

Strengths:    slick design, just like having a expensive fork but in cheaper price.

Weaknesses:    they used plastic parts in RTWD, the knobs can easily broken.

Bottom Line:
all you have to do is a few modification, just get rid of plastic RTWD Assemble and bring the top cap to machineshop and have it fabricate with a copper one. then add two 20MM spacer used in fox vanilla rlx. place the spacer on the end of the RTWD tubing inside and permanently screw it. and the other one after you set up the spring inside the stancion tubing and tighten the new copper top cap. i will guarantee it, The ride is just like having a FOX VANILLA RLX.

Favorite Trail:   CROSS COUNTRY

Purchased At:   CYCLETOTE BACOLOD

Similar Products Used:   suntour, rst, nixon

Bike Setup:   gian yukon, shimano deore lx group sets

Submitted by brennan clark a Weekend Warrior from auckland NZ

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    everything

Weaknesses:    nothing

Bottom Line:

THE WORLDS BEST FORK

Favorite Trail:   big mumma

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   dirt jump 2,3 and drop offs

Bike Setup:   avanti hotdog 06 upgraded

Submitted by Jake a Downhiller from Bozeman, MT, USA

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    The suspension works, and it hasn't blown up.

Weaknesses:    Rebound adjustment doesn't really do anything, the steerer tube twists in the crown.

Bottom Line:
Overall this fork has done the very basics that a suspension fork should do. It has suspesion that works. I have given this fork a pretty good beating and it hasn't blown up or anything like that but the steerer tube has come loose from the crown and now my handlebars will turn every time I hit a rock or root etc. This being said, Manitou is replacing the fork for me for free, even after the warranty is up. The rebound adjustment doesn't really do anthing on this fork and is pretty much worthless. If you do much riding on rough surfaces I would not recommend this fork. If you are riding smooth trails, taking small drops, and don't care about adjustments then this fork would be fine. But even so, I'm convinced there are better forks out there for the same price that would do a much better job.

Similar Products Used:   Marocchi, rockshocks, suntour

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant Reign

Submitted by Andrew a Downhiller from Australia

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2007

Strengths:    light

Weaknesses:    its so dam stiff, no adjustments,weak.

Bottom Line:
im never going to use a manitou fork again

Purchased At:   came on bike

Bike Setup:   trek jack 2-why the hell did they put a xc fork on a freeride bike?

Submitted by Ed a Weekend Warrior from Marietta, GA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2007

Strengths:    I have the RTWD 70-100 mm version and it absorbed the small impacts such as roots and small rocks very well and overall rode great.

Weaknesses:    RTWD broke on second ride and rebound is too slow to effectively set up for jumping.

Bottom Line:
Well, I got the fork for Christmas from Jensonusa.com. It was an OEM fork, but brand new. I was very pleased with the fork on the first ride. I didn't notice too much difference from my MZ Comp initially, but noticed that it rode better as I spent more time riding it.

Then today came around. The fork had been riding alright, but it was just a little bit more sluggish on the rebound making it harder for me to pop over roots and rocks. At the end of the ride, I decided to try a 4 foot drop (not a large drop for a fork that comes on all mountain bikes) at the end of the trail. Well, I figured I should make sure it was set at 100mm so I could have a softer landing. I turn my RTWD dial and....well....it just keeps turning....

My buddy came over and looked at it and informed me that the rebound was also screwwed up because his roommate's Splice rebounds much quicker than mine. This was even with my rebound set to the fastest adjustment.

Needless to say, the fork will be pulled off and rebuilt. Meanwhile, it will be replaced by a mid 90's Dual Crown 110mm fork...fun times.

Favorite Trail:   Blanket's Creek