Manitou Nixon Elite 2005 Front Shocks

3.76/5 (33 Reviews)

Nixon is Manitou's new fork lineup for long-travel trailbikes. The Elite offers 115-145mm of travel, adjustable via the Rapid Travel Wind Down system. You get a new for '05 Reverse Arch casting, hollow black-satin crown, and 32mm aluminum stanchions for incredible stiffness. Manitou's proven TPC setup handles the damping duties.

Submitted by aaron042671 a Weekend Warrior from winnipeg, manitoba,canada

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2011

Strengths:    semi-light, lots of travel(145mm), adjustable(comp.reb.travel adj.)

Weaknesses:    uncertainty about reliability. nothing else

Bottom Line:
bottom line is i feel these forks are good for amount paid compared to marzocchi z1, drop off or all mnt.. fox is just too exp., rock shox is either really cheap or really expensive

Favorite Trail:   grey owl

Purchased At:   pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   sr duro d

Bike Setup:   sc heckler, 5th element, hussefelts, hayes 9, irc mythos

Submitted by warren krywko a Weekend Warrior from Alberta

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    stiff, progressive, adjustable, very light, looks good.

Weaknesses:    requires post mount brake adapter (I didn't have one on hand, but really not the fork's problem)

Bottom Line:
I was looking for a 6" fork to match the 6" rear suspension, and I thought 5.7 was close enough. This is my favorite fork out of all my bikes, with the best balance between weight and stiffness. I am no stranger to high end components, and this fork rocks.

For all those kiddies who say this fork is too soft, manufacturers sell their forks with a target rider of 150-160lbs. If you weigh more, expect to modify the fork with a firmer ride kit, or use the air pressure the fork is designed to work with. I weigh 260lbs, and the fork does not bottom out, as it is set for me. There is not a "one setting works for all frames and riders." My fork was shipped with zero air pressure as it was air freight. It bottomed by just leaning on it. Recommended setting is 65-80% body weight. Even going to 100psi made the for workable.

I recommend this fork to anyone looking for a weight conscious fork in the 5-6" range for an all mountain or enduro bike. I think the weight penalty for the travis or dorado makes sense with a freeride or downhill rig. The minute is lighter for cross country, mild to moderate trails, but gives up a lot of rigidity for that 1.25lbs.

Purchased At:   wheelandsprocketos

Similar Products Used:   DJ3, Minute 2.00, Travis 180, Dorado 180, Manitou Black 120.

Bike Setup:   6" travel custom built Horst link frame (similar design to norco 6), Sun Single track wheels, SRAM X-7 f&r, Nevegals, FSA V-drive, hayes stroker brakes (may go back to bb7's, not sure yet)

Submitted by John R. a Cross Country Rider from salinas. CA. U.S.

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2008

Strengths:    amazing quality to price ratio, lots of travel, soft for small bumps, stiff for big hits, never bottoms out

Weaknesses:    travel reduction only goes down 1 maybe 1 1/2 inches, thru axle hard to take off, thats it!

Bottom Line:
this fork was a lot softer than i was use to and at first i was afraid it was too soft.. but not at all. this fork glides over small bumps and when you hit a hardrock or a drop it stiffens quick and doesnt bottom out at all. it looks great and was the best fork for the price.. before i bought it i read reviews saying it bottoms out too easily.. well that is BS. what they were feeling was the transition of the soft fork stiffening on hard hits. there is a rubber end at the top of the fork to ensure it never bottoms out so dont think its bottoming out. this fork is very good quality and low maintenence. it can take drops, jumps and everything else you throw at it... this is a dam good fork with plenty of travel!!! take y word for it!!

Purchased At:   greenfishsports.com

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi all mountain 1

Bike Setup:   hardrock comp with avid disc brakes and mavic rims

Submitted by Glenn Bearry a Weekend Warrior from Austin

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2008

Strengths:    Plushness, smart fork, ability to adapt, ride, stiffness, looks, and, believe it or not, dips/drops, and it's TOUGH.

Weaknesses:    Inaccurate travel due to "travel upgrade," and the rebound/compression dampening appear ineffective (at first),
the need for the x-firm spring.

Bottom Line:
I can admit when I'm wrong. Manitou...I'm sorry. Try to follow this comparison...Say you free fall drop 2 bombs. The bigger one goes BOOM! The smaller one goes "boom". Which do you want to have on your side in a war? BUT, say the smaller bomb is actually a "smart bomb", and the target is a small opening in a bunker? which bomb do you want for most effectiveness?

Point is, This is a smart fork. Like others, I found that I could bottom it out by slowly dropping it over a curb. It's sag was about 30% even with the x-firm spring (I weigh about 210 lbs). So I said to myself, I'll mount this thing, and beat the hell out of it until it destroys itself.

So, I have the fork on my bike, and am going down my fastest downhill urban run, and came up fast on "the dip from hell." It is very hard not to bottom out on ANY fork on this evil dip at speed so I usually pull up hard as I go over, even with my Drop Off II. I did not pull up on the Nixon, as my goal was to abuse the hell out of the fork. POW I hit it...but no "clunk" or any bottom out noise. I stopped, looked at my travel marker. The Nixon after taking into account the "travel upgrade" STILL HAD AN INCH+ of unused travel! I repeated this over and over and had the same result! So..the fork that can bottom out going over a curb will successfully dampen a bone-crushing dip that has flatted tires it hits so hard???? With room to spare????

Closing: I was like some others. I was judging this fork based on my experience with less expensive forks, or with free ride forks, where what you see is what you get, at any speed. This is a high-end fork, that has been ditched, in my opinion, by riders who assumed what I assumed. We got lucky and got a $600.00 MSRP fork for a fraction of that price, and therefore judged it by the low to mid-range fork standards. It's like saying that a BMW at slow speed is very plush and therefore, must suck at high speeds and aggressive roads as well. When some said that the fork tightens up as the conditions get more hardcore, I thought they were full of BS.

Boy, was I wrong.

Favorite Trail:   Urban and undeveloped forest

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   Torra, Drop Off II, All mountain 4.

Bike Setup:   See previous review.

Submitted by Glenn Bearry a Weekend Warrior from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2007

Strengths:    It's pretty and soft... the oil rings left by wipers can be wiped off and used to oil down the bike. Plush and mushy. When I am standing there at a traffic light, it looks great, as long as I don't put any weight on it. New ex-firm spring is only 25 bucks

Weaknesses:    The usual, stock springs are stunningly soft, compression and rebound knobs apparently put there for looks only. has max of 120mm travel. and both wipers leak and leave pronounced oil rings.

Bottom Line:
I want to like Manatou, I really do. I just cant fathom how a company with the experience that Manitou has putting out a product with such huge flaws that any testing should have pointed out...for God sake, how could they not know that the tire would need more clearence for full travel??? How could they not know that the dampening adjusters didn't noticably work?? How could they put out a fork with this much travel and even with a 20mm through axel with springs so soft it's common knowlage that you automatically put in the x-tra firm spring as part of the initial set-up, like punping up the tire before you use it? Was this thing designed by freshman engineering students as a class project???

I put the fork on without reading these reviews. At 200 bucks, I thought that It would at least be worth the 200 bucks I paid. I would have been so pissed if I bought this fork for anywhere close to the retail price of around 5 to 6 hundred (ha ha ha!). My comments about the fork were not based on reviewes, but my experience thus far.

To be fair, I am 6'2" and with my urban back pack I weigh close to 250 lbs. My other bikes have Rock Shox Tora with 130mm travel and a Marzocchi Drop Off 2 with 150mm travel.
Both have stock springs and ROCK!

I have finally found a vender with the ex-firm spring for sale, thank God. After days on the net, GreenFish found it for me. If you are thinking about getting this as a clearence item, I highly suggest you find the ex-firm spring first, before you buy the fork.

ffffff

Favorite Trail:   Urban Assult

Purchased At:   GreenFish

Similar Products Used:   Drop Off 2, Tora, and in this case, the Dart 2.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose (2007 Tyax frame), Sun Double Track Wheel Set, XT all the way around. Hays M-1 8" disc, Maxxis 2.4 tires

Submitted by raphael a Weekend Warrior from norcal

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2007

Strengths:    adjusts well, travels well

Weaknesses:    a bit noisy

Bottom Line:
great buy

Favorite Trail:   downieville

Purchased At:   greenfish

Similar Products Used:   marozocchi jr. t, marozocci 66, manitou black

Bike Setup:   enduro

Submitted by Damon Hambruch from Redondo Beach, Ca, USA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    Works great for the kind of riding I do.

Weaknesses:    Having the adjustable ride hight does not work the best. I think it broke awhile ago and now I at set for long travel.

Bottom Line:
The shock works great for me. I ride all different types of trails and terrain. It work good on average trails and when I get into the more aggressive the shock takes the abuse. I weigh 175 and it handles everything I through at it. I would recommend the shock to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Low Falls in Big Bear Lakes

Similar Products Used:   Just other friends bikes with other shocks. Don't remember what they are.

Bike Setup:   Fugi Adventure

Submitted by Jesse a Cross Country Rider from Sierra Vista

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2007

Strengths:    Would probably be good for a lighter rider

Weaknesses:    Spring, not air, so the adjustability for riders of different weights is weak.

Bottom Line:
I have not been impressed with this fork. Riding at 210 pounds I have found this fork to be ineffective. I ride quite hard and adjusting the rebound and damping does not make any change. The fork has adjustable travel but when the compression is set to anything other then max, one hard hit will bottom out the travel. So heading down the trail with the travel maxed out, one hard hit will change the travel setting to the lowest. I am switching over to air.

Favorite Trail:   John Cooper Loop

Similar Products Used:   Manituou Black

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 2

Submitted by dawid cymerman from chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    Very stiff (through-axie version), plush, great small bump compliance... it's actually very light, for how strong it is and how much travel it has. Mine weighs 4.25 pounds with the through-axle...

Weaknesses:    Wish it had some kind of on the fly adjustment... the rebound and compression adjustment knob labels are counter-intuitive. Turning the rebound dial towards "more" gives less rebound. Maybe it's just the fork that I got? It's no big deal, though.

Bottom Line:
I weigh 164 before dinner... and the factory springs work great for me. I ride mostly in the lowest travel setting for off road climbing purposes, but love the plushness of the full 145mm when in the city... wish the fork had a quick way of adjusting travel for off road purposes, but I heard the system Manitou currently employs sucks...

The fork has taken moderate abuse (all kinds of drops up to 5 feet and lots of up and down stair riding) almost every day for a year now, yet it keeps performing wonderfully with occassional stanchion greasing (no disassembly). I also use Lizard Skins to protect the seals.

I feel like this fork has saved my @$$ more than once due to its stiffness and shock absorbancy.

There are no doubt better forks out there, but for under $300 I have yet to find a better price/value ratio.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine Wisconsin

Purchased At:   jenson

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Black, Manitou Axel Comp, Marzocchi CR Z1...

Bike Setup:   Azonic Steelhead, with Bombshell Fatboy wheel up front, Rohloff laced to a SnowCat rim in the rear. Hayes HFX 9, FSA V-Drive Xtreme, Cane Creek Thudbuster, Iron Cross pedals, Chris King and Truvative cockpit.

Submitted by Erik Kellison a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, WA, US

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight
Great TPC+ Damping
No tools 20mm axle
Plush out of the box, virtually no break in period
Affordable
RTWD system does not require a shock pump to adjust
Low stack height
Ano Al knobs are easy to turn
Adjustments make a noticeable difference

Weaknesses:    None so far!

Bottom Line:
I am reviewing the '06 Nixon Elite.
I heard that the '05 sucked, but that they fixed the problems, and I am now convinced that they really did.
None of the problems I have read about, such as not getting full travel, adjustments not working, damping being of poor quality, etc. do not apply to the 2006 model. This thing is very similar to my Dorado, which also had TPC+ damping (the '05 Nixon's had plain old TPC), and they feel very similar. The compression adjustment doesn't do much when you're just jumping on the fork, but it makes a difference when you're riding. I have the knob somewhere in the middle, as well as the rebound. All in, the fork is difficult to move past half travel, and the rebound, the fork pretty much stays down (though it's not meant to be a lockout). All out rebound, the fork is a pogo stick. The adjustments work! As for travel, I get all 145mm - I measured. This thing is about a pound lighter than the Marzocchi Z1 Light that I was considering, and at what I paid, well less than half the price. Ridiculous! How can you go wrong? I am thinking that the fork may need a stiffer spring in one leg, but that's because I'm fat, and no fault of the manufacturer.
The small bump performance and sensitivity is amazing, and the fork has not bottomed on me yet (harshly at least, but I have gotten 145mm of movement out of it).
I really can't imagine a better 6" single crown. Well, I guess it bobs on the climbs, but I don't care at all. Not only am I not riding for the uphill, but one doesn't lose much efficiency if the fork bobs, as longs as one stays seated while pedaling (it's the rear that matters for efficiency). I like the fact that the fork's sensitivity to small things such as roots and rocks on the way up allow it to roll perfectly without wandering or bouncing.
This fork is money. Buy it. I can't believe they still have them in stock at JensonUSA for $250 a pop. Ridiculous.
Oh, you should buy this fork if you like trail riding, all mountain riding, XC riding or light freeriding (no hucks over 10'). You should not buy this fork if you're a huckmaster, a hardcore DH'er, or a weight weenie XC'er who's gonna gripe about the fact that the plush travel allows the fork to bob a little. I say screw platform damping, it's what gave Manitou's (SPV) such a bad rep anyway!

Favorite Trail:   None currently

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   2002 Marzocchi Z1 Freeride
'03 Dorado, '06 888RC2X, '03 Super T

Bike Setup:   6" Helius FR, built light and durable for trail riding, not XC, not FR, somewhere in between. I weigh 185ish.

Submitted by duane a Weekend Warrior from aurora, colorado

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2006

Strengths:    plush, absorbs trail bumps without equal.

Weaknesses:    does not have the travel it claims, too plush sometimes, brake dive.

Bottom Line:
this is a follow up review, after 1 year of riding, I have beat on this fork over and over and the travel stops at 4 inches.I ordered a stiffer spring because it was a little too plush,but i have to agree with the guy below who says the tire clearance upgrade is just some kind of plug that prevents getting full travel.this is a great 4 inch travel fork but shame on manitou for lying and selling it as 145 mm's! I am removing some chili's for that and switching to a z-1 from marzocchi.shame,shame,shame...

Favorite Trail:   like i would tell!

Purchased At:   westside cyclery, the best!

Similar Products Used:   lots

Bike Setup:   world's sickest kona coiler with dirty dog skull rotors!

Submitted by dave a Cross Country Rider from boise idaho

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2006

Strengths:    discounted price, excellent damping, reasonably light.

Weaknesses:    not great for out of the saddle sprint or climbing.

Bottom Line:
I made a mistake buying this fork,it wallows unless you stay seated when pedaling.....lose so much energy to bob even when rapid wind down at 115 cm, I am returning to Marzocchi, I bought a 2005 Marzocchi all mountain SL prior to this fork, it was defective out of the box, this model must be a lemon they are so heavily discounted now, would not air up on the negative chamber so I exchanged it, went with the manitou trying to save money, Marzocchi ETA and TAS much better than any thing out there, Fox forks are unreliable....sooo I will buy another Marzocchi with coil not air.This fork is excellent on downhill sections.I installed the proper spring for my weight thus substantially improving the progressive feel of this fork, soaks up the small stuff much better, this fork takes bigs hits great.

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi.

Bike Setup:   2005 heckler with dhx5

Submitted by Carl a Weekend Warrior from Colorado Springs, CO. USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff, adjustable, simple.

Bottom Line:
Really enjoying this fork. It's much stiffer than the Black 120mm, and I like being able to alter the head tube angle via travel adjustment. I can crank it down for long climbs or when I want the bike to have quick steering, or I can let the travel out all the way and lower my seat for a full on downhill sled feel.

Travel adjustment works great. Rebound adjustment works great. The compression adjustment is very subtle. You can't tell a difference just standing around pushing down on the fork, but it makes a noticable difference when riding.

I think the people that don't like this fork are trying to use it as a freeride/downhill fork when it was really designed for epic style XC riding.

I tip the scales at 200+ pounds, and have no problem with the stock spring, but I tend to have a laid back style where I float obsticals with wheely drops. If you're a heavyweight basher, a stiff spring might be best.

I recently rode a ~20 mile trail that included 6000ft of decending. Fast, technical, baby head boulders, drops, etc. and the fork performed flawlessly.