Manitou Minute One 2005 Front Shocks

3.57/5 (35 Reviews)

The '04 Minute was awarded Bicycling Magazine's 2004 "Editors' Choice" award for "Best all-purpose suspension fork", and we expect no less from the new '05. It remains the market leaded in the "All-Mountain" category, and for good reason. The Minute One offers 100-130mm of travel via Manitou's Rapid Travel Wind Down system, so you can choose the exact right amount of travel for the terrain.

Submitted by SMBC 2009 a Weekend Warrior from D. Briggs

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2009

Strengths:    Good travel and GREAT adjustability. Lightweight.

Weaknesses:    Slim stanchions, too soft, Not stable enough, No 20mm thru axle

Bottom Line:
I recently purchased this fork on a stock 2005 Giant Vt-2, and have had no trouble at all with this fork. Some of you say you get no more than 1ft of air and the Minute breaks, well I've got a different story. I'm not real hefty, but I never liked the softness of this fork, so I decided to push the limits of the terribly low 15-60 psi seals to 75 psi. Since then, I've taken a couple wrecks, and had some moments of 3-4 ft air and landed great. I've also used the rebound and tension adjust and have had excellent results. This is a four year old fork! I recommend this fork to harsh XC riders.

Favorite Trail:   Alafia Trails

Purchased At:   Village Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shock REBA 80mm
Manitou Axel comp 120mm
Marzocchi EXR 100mm

Bike Setup:   Stock Giant VT-2, Manitou swinger 3-way

Submitted by Hans a Weekend Warrior from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2007

Strengths:    PRICE, weight, adjustable travel, air-adjustable pressure, SPV really works ... and did I mention price?

Weaknesses:    No lockout.

Bottom Line:
I really like this fork. I know that Manitou has had a bad reputation, but in the past 8 or so months that I've been riding it (including some racing), I haven't had any problems. It holds its pressure fine and I have enjoyed playing around with pressure and rebound settings to establish the feel that I like the best. I sometimes wish it had a lockout feature, but honestly the SPV really does work well. The fork feels basically rigid until a certain threshold is exceeded at which point it engages with the configured (air pressure) damping level. I definitely like this setup and immediately notice how soft (and inefficient) other forks feel when pedaling over flat ground. Of course, when I'm leaning forward on steep hills my shock is compressing, so that's a case where I think I'd appreciate lockout.

The adjustable travel is a neat feature, though 100mm is almost too much travel for my frame geometry, so I very rarely turn it up to 130mm. It is a nice option for very steep descents, though, and I've used it in a few of those scenarios.

The main selling point for me was price (I bought it as an OE part), and at that price I would easily consider buying it again even if I had to have the seals redone in the next year. It was definitely a very affordable way to upgrade the stock pogo-stick fork on my GT -- and honestly I like the feel as much as anything else I've ridden so far.

Favorite Trail:   Fountainhead

Purchased At:   JensonUSA.com

Similar Products Used:   I've experienced a couple Marzocchi (Marathon, MX Comp) and Rockshox (Reba) forks.

Bike Setup:   This is one of many (all) upgraded components on GT Avalanche frame.

Submitted by Bob from new jersey

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2007

Strengths:    very plush, spv great, when it works it is good for anything,
it is super light

Weaknesses:    the rebound sucks and the nob broke off when i was adjusting it, which made the fork have no rebound at all

Bottom Line:
If you don't touch the rebound the fork is great for anything except downhill and extreme freeride, I used it for some drops and it was really good

Submitted by Thom a Cross Country Rider from Kirkland, WA USA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2007

Strengths:    cheap.
Worthy of Walmart
not too bad when it works

Weaknesses:    Disposable
Warranty is now worthless due to the Hayes buyout.
Rebound adjuster never worked
Blew all its oil after a couple of rides.

Bottom Line:
Manitou should be selling their products through Walmart.
Hayes is definitely NOT buying Manitou for their great engineering department.
I am a 195pound cross country rider. This fork should be overkill for me. The fork blew out after only a couple of easy winter rides.
The rebound cartridge never worked and the fork did tend to launch me....otherwise it was pretty smooth.
Warranty has been a nightmare with several MONTHS of down time. Bobby, their excellent Customer Service person has nothing to work with anymore, as they deplete parts and replacement forks. And the poor guy is going to be laid off soon anyway. (somebody hire that amazing guy!)

The fork came with my new bike. The shop says its a warranty problem between myself and Manitou. The replacement Nixon Elite fork Manitou sent me was a lemon too and died after a couple of rides.

Needless to say I am looking at another brand and not happy about my one fork for the price of two I am going to be paying for.

Purchased At:   came with bike- rbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Nixon Elite(garbage also)

Bike Setup:   Ellsworth Epiphany

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from boston, ma

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2007

Strengths:    out of the box the fork was pretty good, it felt pretty good on the trail and seemed pretty smooth and not too heavy.

Weaknesses:    After 2 months of riding a plastic internal part that attaches to the rebound knob broke and i have been waiting for going on 3 months for a replacement part from manitou. I throught i was getting my bike back today, but i just found out they sent the aluminum rebound knob instead of the cheapo plastic internal part that broke. Manitou has really dropped the ball and this will be the last manitou product i ever buy.

Bottom Line:
cheap to buy and cheaply made, would be decent if it had less plastic parts and better customer service.

Purchased At:   nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Lefty, manitou magnum r, fox vanilla

Bike Setup:   trek y-11 single speed, manintou minute fork, fox rear shox.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2007

Strengths:    adjustable travel, air adjust, air release system (i'll explain below)

Weaknesses:    rebound knob may just pop off on ya...i'm a mechanic and have seen this is usually the first repair on many bikes with this fork. (or maybe its just the stupid customers who dont know when to stop turning the knob cuz its never happened to me.)

Bottom Line:
I switched to this fork because i blew out my Axel on the first ride. I went off a 2 foot ledge and blew out the seals. I did the same ledge with this minute, and also blew it out, but this time no replacement was needed. I found that this fork has kind of an emergency air release system. If you compress the air too much, it will release it all and let the coil and elastimers take the brunt of the drop. You can later use a shock pump to reset the air, and everything is hunky-dorry. I dont think this is good for the fork in the long run, but i havent seen any side effects from this process.
I did slickrock and may have bottomed the fork out a few times because of too little air in the spv chamber, but i still havent noticed any side effects from it thanks to the coil and elastimers.

From a rider and mechanic standpoint, i recommend this fork because its easy to work with (the fork is easier to fix than dealing with Answer), durable, adjustable, and dang good lookin. if you get this fork, i commend you.
Cheers.

Favorite Trail:   Slickrock, Wasatch Crest

Purchased At:   Dont remember

Similar Products Used:   manitou axel...blew it out on the first ride

Bike Setup:   jamis dragon frame, minute 1, only 9 speeds total, x9shifter and rear derailleur, WTB dual duty wheels

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2006

Strengths:    SPV = no pedal bob, adjustable travel, pretty light for 5" coil fork, looks cool with integrated graphics

Weaknesses:    Limited rebound adjustability

Bottom Line:
My Minute 1 has performed nicely for over 6 months now and has not needed any maintenance. It's fairly stiff, and is well suited to todays "all mountain" genre. Definately not a free-ride fork, but can handle the occasional jump and drop.

The SPV took a while to get used to, the minute never feels nice and plush like the Fox or Rockshox I have tried in the past (and it's not supposed to), and the advantage is that you never have to fiddle with dials to stop it bobbing ie lockout. The SPV is really effective and eliminates just aobut all pedal bob on the flat or when climbing. So, just set your SPV pressure and go. Simple and effective and quite adjustable. The rebound adjustment is a bit disappointing, it doesn't quite rebound quick enough for my liking, but is fine for 70% of the riding I do anyway.

If you're fussy about how everything looks, well, the minutes are good looking forks in my opinion. Integrated graphics are a nice touch (if you got that option) and the thick matte black paint job is the most durable I have ever come across, unlike fox forks which chip so easily.

I'm about to sell mine to my mate for his Kona Dawg, and I'm trying the new 07 Revelation air uturn. I've heard good things about it. Was going to go back to Fox, but they are expensive and it seems everyone else has finally caught up with adjustability features, but Fox still takes the cake for lightweight long travel trail forks.

Overall, a good fork and excellent value. So 5 chillies for value because I picked up a bargin and it's done everything and handled everything I've thrown at it, and 3 for performance because of the ordinary rebound adjustment. They're selling cheap all over the internet so if you're after a 130mm trail fork, snap one up you wont regret it. They're just great value!

Similar Products Used:   Talas 130, Float 130, recon

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575, full X0/XTR, FSA wheels, thomson, hope brakes

Submitted by Bret Hazelwood a Racer from Hampstead, NH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    plush ride

Weaknesses:    I have yet to notice any great advantage to the spv. It has managed to throw me for a ride of its own at random times. Three times now and once during a race its managed to not provide any damping causing it to launch me off large obstacles while turning... at high speeds that means goodbye trail and hello trees!

Bottom Line:
I made the mistake of putting this shock on my racing hardtail (yes I realize I'm trying to hold onto archaic technology!) and the geometry was COMPLETELY thrown off by this fork even dropped to 100mm. I dont know if part of it is the fact that I run a smaller frame on this bike but I would highly recommend trying this fork out on a smaller rear triangle bike before purchasing! The major setback from this is the lack of ability to carve... I've found myself making muuuch larger turns despite my best efforts in tight sections which has resulted in some interesting outcomes. weight was also a big issue, my judies were shaved to just under 3lbs and this fork is just over 4lbs (a very noticeable difference after a couple miles!) The fork has an impressively plush ride but doesnt provide any phenomenal advantages with the spv valving during climbs, but this isn't a drawback. If you're looking for a plush ride but don't plan on competing this may be the fork for you, otherwise... well, I'm shopping for another solution! I'll be switching this fork over to my full-suspension to make room for a lighter fork again so I'll post if the outcome is different on a larger frame.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   judy's stock and rebuilt with racing air cartridges, multiple fox (varied experiences), carbon fiber lefty! several manitous

Bike Setup:   older superlight trek hardtail, race face xc, sette race, sram... yadah yadah

Submitted by Olivier Battaglione from Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Product is really plysh and handled realyy well. Didn't drop to flat but hit a few set of doubles and it felt great.

Weaknesses:    First one I ordered came broken out of the box. The travel adjustment only worked when there was no air in the fork. If I did add any air then it essentially became a 130mm fork. The place I bought it out swapped it out and gave me a new one which works fine.

Bottom Line:
I paid $199 for this fork and it turned out to be a good fork. I took it up to Mammoth and hit many of the trails and it worked out great. I wouldn't attempt to go downhilling with it or do any 6 ft drops but if you are into flowing single track and want a fork that has adjustable travel to get you up and then down this might be it. You must take into consideration I paid $199. If this cost me $300+ I would not give it the same. Review. The SPV is hard to set up. When I let air out of the fork oil sprayed out everywhere. All I can say is that it was worth what I payed for it an it is a great fork for the money.

Purchased At:   Wheelworld

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talas

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Submitted by Tucky a Weekend Warrior from Hermosillo,Son. México

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2006

Strengths:    Light,Price, Good Looking ;)

Weaknesses:    none so far, although I haven't been able to set the SPV, but I guess is my lack of knowledge

Bottom Line:
although I liked more the Fox demo'ed, the price difference make me go with Manitou, $700 for a fork was a little high for my budget at the time, this one feels plush, and I haven't have any problems so far. infinte travel is great although I'm usually at 100mm. I lik the big climbs cause they mean big downhills, woohoo. not so agressive on the downhill but I like a little fast, I usually catch some air on my way down, is a little ramp it gives 3-4 foot high depending on how confidence I'm felling and the fork takes it nicely.and I'm 198 Lbs.

Purchased At:   Over Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Fox 36, Manitou R7

Bike Setup:   Superlight Race Face EVolve X-Type,mavic crossland velociraptor tires, Shimano LX Drivetrain.

Submitted by Urdaddy a Weekend Warrior from Salinas, Ca, usa

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2006

Strengths:    Post mounts, travel adjust, looks. and those r not good enough reasons to give this company your money

Weaknesses:    Too many to list here. But I want nothing to do with a company that does buisiness this way. Manitou needs to be upfront about theyre warranty scam before you buy.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is because of this fork I am now out of shape. After the first month I had to return it for warranty work cuz it was leaking really bad. That was a hassle because the local shop wants nothing to do with Manitou. Manitou dictates that you first send it to a shop, you can't send it to them directly. I wished they would advertise there little warranty scam like they do theyre crap forks. I suspect that they do this because they will have the shop do the repair work at your exspense and save themselves some money.

I recently went up to Nor-Cal for the 4th weekend. when I got there my fork felt like it was locked out. I went to let out all of the SPV presssure and fork oil spewed out like a geyser. Of course I traveled 6 hrs just to sit around and not ride I love dong that :/, THANK YOU MANITOU.

I get back home a week later and call Manitou and they had the oddassity to tell me that my fork spewing oil was NORMAL!!!!!!! They said all I had to was fill it up with fork fluid again. I laughed! They then tried to tell me how to do it myself. I ended up having to fork out more money from my pocket to find a shop that would actually work on a Manitou. Mind you I allready had them warrnaty this same fork once. I got that problem fixed and now I have a strange knocking feeling comming from the fork, so bad that Im afraid to ride it. I expect Manitou to give me the run around again.

Because of tis crap fork I hardley ride any more. I rode this scary fork a week ago and only lasted for an hour on the trail because Im so out of shape from not being able to ride because of this crap fork from this crap company.
If I had a fork that works I would have been in good enough shape to race at the Cougar Mountain Classic. All in all what I have dumped into this fork allready I could have bought a fork that works from a company that doesnt have a warranty scam.

This prodeuct does not deserve one Flammin Chili, It deserves a used-old-ladys-walker-raiting. NOBODY should buy this product.

Favorite Trail:   #12412146273248

Purchased At:   Greenfish

Similar Products Used:   SX le Sx R Jett

Bike Setup:   hardtail

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2006

Strengths:    none that last

Weaknesses:    SPV (Stupid Puny Valve). lack of tunability

Bottom Line:
Stay far, far away from this horrible fork. If you live in Canada, stay far away from OGC, the service centre. I have sent it back to them 3 times to get serviced and they cannot get it right. Within 2 months of getting the fork, it stopped working properly. It started clunking and became completely unpredictable as to whether the rebound was going to be fast (none) or slow (very). Off to the service centre. It came back, with the rebound very slow even with the minimum air presure in the SPV cartridge, and no way to make it faster.
Back it went. It worked for 2 weeks and then the same old thing. Back to OGC again. The old slow rebound problem, and the left hand bottom nut came off, spewing oil all over the disk brake.

One more in a long list of piece-of-crap expensive mountain bike parts that don't work as advertised. Gotta love the RSD model (Research-market], Sell, Design)

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Sid, Marzoch Z1, Fox 36

Submitted by Garth a Weekend Warrior from Carlsbad, CA, United States

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight, tons of easy adjustments, Less bob than most(Makes for easy climbs), SPV works awesome, great price. Just landed mid-section on a 15 concrete stair(about 12 steps down and over two mid landings) and it saved my life. Didn't bottom out, and tracked straight. Doesn't dive like a trophy-truck at the baja 1000(unlike most other forks in its price range).

Weaknesses:    ? It feels like it is too light to be strong but I disproved that. I just wish the stanchions and crown was a little bigger. Wouldn't take too big a drop on it(5'+ to flat).

Bottom Line:
Awesome for the money. I wouldn't spend more unless it was a triple crown, or you take huge hits. Great all around fork. Climbs well, light weight, and strong enough for most riders. Buy an 888RC if you want something better. I'm 6' 180 pounds.

Favorite Trail:   Flightline

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Bomber 1 and 2, Junior T.

Bike Setup:   05 Versus Blitz with: Swinger 4-way, 05 Minute 1, Maxxis Minons DHR, Raceface diabolus, truvativ.

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Saint Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    adjustability, lightweight, strong, bottom out adjustment is very nice, spv valve works well and doesn't leak, very good damping, very smooth over any type of terrain, has stood up to my abuse so far, good value as it can be found for a little over $200

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I haven't ridden any higher end forks so i can't really compare to them but it is the best i have ridden. i use it for trail riding as well as jumping and small dropoffs and it has stood up well.

Purchased At:   manitou gave it to me as a replacement for the 120mm axel that broke