Manitou Black Super Air 2005 Front Shocks

3.87/5 (15 Reviews)

Shave weight with the lightweight air-sprung Black Super Air. Available in fixed travel models with 80mm, 100mm, or 120mm so you can choose the fork that's just right for you. With a beefy crown, 30mm stanchions, and magnesium Reverse Arch casting, the Black is stiff and ready to perform on a variety of terrain.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    Light, plush, adjustable, and durable (so far). Soaks up rocks, ruts and roots even my expensive Fox fork won't. I have yet to bottom out and I try just about everything.

Weaknesses:    The decal stickers look tacky.

Bottom Line:
I love this fork. I found a good deal on an 01 Hollowpoint and this fork came with it. The specs were too good to pass up for the deal on the Hollowpoint but I seriously doubted the old Manitou fork. I thought for sure I would replace it immediately. Man, was I wrong! I have been riding for a while and I can honestly say this is one of the best forks I've ridden. I would take this Manitou over the Fox on my Stumpjumper anyday.

Favorite Trail:   The Farm

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy, Fox Talas, Fox F100, Lefty

Bike Setup:   Iron Horse Hollowpoint, Fox shock, XTR, Easton

Submitted by Matthew a Weekend Warrior from California

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2007

Strengths:    This review is for the Manitou Black Super Air 100mm, damping and compression adjustability only. The fork is light. It might work well for lighter people. Finish is clean and it took a lot of punishment.

Weaknesses:    If you weigh 190lbs or more you will kill this fork.

Bottom Line:
Starting with the day I purchased the bike the fork was not able to handle my weight. If I used the suggested pressure I was bottoming the fork out. I didn't like the feel of the fork when the air was jacked way up. I know cross country riders or racers like the light weight of fork. This might be okay if you weigh much less than 190lbs. I even tried changing fork oil weights but nothing improved its performance.

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch

Purchased At:   Trek

Similar Products Used:   RockShox Revelation Coil

Bike Setup:   '05 Cake 2

Submitted by pimpbot a Cross Country Rider from oakland, CA

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Strengths:    Light, Plush, compression damping adjustment, lockout, Cheap on sale

Weaknesses:    A bit flexy with rim brakes/ceramic rims, Damper is krapp, bobs like mad. Compression adjustment knob is too easy to bump and move.

Bottom Line:
This was bought for a budgetlight race hardtail build. It was basically the lightest decent fork I could get for the money. I'm too heavy for a SID.

It would have been the perfect fork if it didn't bob so dang much. I can't pedal out of the saddle at all unless it is completely locked out, no matter how the compression damping is set. I can feel the bob sucking my power like crazy. My front wheel is so noodely that it actually rubs against the v-brakes when the fork compresses.

I'd say it was worth the dough at $240, but would not be at full list price of $500.

Favorite Trail:   Pinecrest Peak

Purchased At:   Supergo (RIP)

Similar Products Used:   '03 Duke Race, '05 Reba Race

Bike Setup:   Race hardtail, Access frame, light parts, noodley front wheel

Submitted by Loocas from England

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Strengths:    This is the mintest fork out there, I love the graphics and the lockout is amazing, works best for dirt jumping I think.

Weaknesses:    none so far, too early to tell.

Bottom Line:
You can use these forks for anything they can take a long hard beating!

Favorite Trail:   Delamere Forest

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 3's, Fox 40's - (on a demo bike - they were amazing).

Bike Setup:   24seven dark angel v24, hayes hydraulic, halo combats.

Submitted by Jeff a Weekend Warrior from Snoqualmie, WA USA

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2006

Strengths:    Looks nice, fairly light weight, lockout

Weaknesses:    Too soft for me, crown lockout not easy to use.

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork on clearance for a great price. I thought it was going to be perfect, but alas, it has let me down. I really dislike having to spend another $20 for a spring kit so I can finally ride a new fork 2 weeks later, too. Granted, at 205 pounds, I could afford to drop some weight. But for some reason Answer specs their forks out for riders in the 145-165 pound range. Don't they know we have an obesity epidemic in this country?! Anyway, I bought the firmest ride kit they had, but it only goes up to 190-pound riders. That didn't work for me. The fork kept blowing through the travel on mild stuff. Technical Assistance suggested turning up the compression damping, but that just made it ride too harsh (like a semi-lockout mode). I've tried running the air pressure up, but that doesn't seem to compensate for the soft coil spring. I also find using the crown-mounted lockout dial to be tricky. Locking it out is easy - just turn it all the way in. Getting it back to your previous compression setting accurately while riding is where it gets tricky. I'm considering a switch to a Reba in the next month. All air and no coil makes it easier to adjust for my current weight and as the pounds melt away.

Favorite Trail:   CCC and Middle Fork

Purchased At:   Greenfish Sports

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Mars, Axel, Magnum, SX-R

Bike Setup:   Specialized Epic, XT all around, Avid BB discs, Easton bits here and there.

Submitted by CARTER MICK a Weekend Warrior from CITY OF LOVE

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2006

Strengths:    used this fork for a year now and still no complaints! love rlo. i owned a fox float after this one and nothin much more of a difference, except the price. plush, stiff, light, the price, nothin more to say....

Weaknesses:    little oil seepin out from the seals once in a while

Bottom Line:
thought this will be just a "for the meantime fork" when i broke the float, but its been a year and still using it. love this fork.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   fox float rl

Bike Setup:   yeti 575

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from san jose

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    very plush, light, remote lockout

Weaknesses:    a little oil leak coming from the seals. not a biggie.

Bottom Line:
one of the best lightest 5" forks out there...

Purchased At:   greenfish

Similar Products Used:   fox float rlc

Bike Setup:   jamis dakar xlt 3.0

Submitted by mike bell a Weekend Warrior from denver, co

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    very plush, very light, convenient lockout

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
this fork is perfect for trail/enduro type riding

Favorite Trail:   apex

Purchased At:   jenson

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Seattle, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2005

Strengths:    Light, handlebar-mounted remote lockout, price.

Weaknesses:    None yet but too soon to tell.

Bottom Line:
Glad to have a shock. I've only ridden it once so far but so far so good. Feels more supple and lively than my Marzocci, but I'm curious to see if it holds up as well over time. Appears to be a good value. Seems well suited to my aggressive XC riding style. I have the 80mm travel version, which will obviously not be of much use to free riders.

Favorite Trail:   Numerous

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   2003 Marzocci MX Comp w/ETA

Bike Setup:   1996 Stump Jumper w/2003-2005 full XT components, SRAM Rocket Shifters.

Submitted by Guy Buckingham a Cross Country Rider from Orleans, MI US

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2005

Strengths:    A relatively beefy, strong shock. Built for endurance and some aggressive XC riding. I like its non-quantifiable feel.

As a pleasant surprise, it really aids in my climbs up steep hills with large roots. The adjustable damping is useful.

Weaknesses:    Manitou support. I needed an answer to a set-up question. I left two e-mails a week apart with the tech support address. Then another one a week later with the website's main address thinking maybe there was some site problem. A month later I have not received any response, not even automated. Beware of non-existent support.

Bottom Line:
I would recommend a look, if you are sure you can recieve support. Note: the Chili ratings are lower because of the lack of support.

Similar Products Used:   Various. Direct comparison on same day with Cannondale's "lefty". Liked Cannondale's better, but it is proprietary. I liked the Cake's geometry and SPV on rear suspension, at this price point, better.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Cake 2. Stock at this time.

Submitted by Reco michel a Cross Country Rider from SAN JOSE

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2005

Strengths:    I LOVE THE CABLE LOCKOUT SET UP. STURDY AND LIGHT.

Weaknesses:    I AM 180LBS AND A LITTLE STRESSED ON THE REBOUND (100MM). I DID BOTTOM THESE OUT WITH A 180PSI IN THE ONE SIDE OF THE FORK AND THERE NOW SEEMS TO BE SEAPAGE FROM BOTH SEALS. TAKE TO THE GUYS AT P.P AND TOLD ME THEY COULD SEND THEM BACK AND WERE PROBABLY ONE OF THE DEFFECTIVE ONES (WOW!) SO WILL SEE AS TO WHAT THE OUT COME IS AND SEE HOW LONG THEY LAST ONCE I GET THEM BACK AGAIN.

Bottom Line:
WISH I COULD BE RIDING AND NOT WORRYING ABOUT THIS ISSUE; AND IF I'M DROPPING 5 BILLS MAKE THE FIRM SPRING AN OPTION FOR THE RIDER ("GOOD P.R., MONITOU"). THE SPRING IS A 20 DOLLAR ITEM AND IT'S EMBARRESSING THAT YOU STILL HAVE TO DEAL WITH THIS AFTER YOU PURCHASE THE FRONT END (2ND TIME). OH YEA, AND THE SPRINGS ARE USUALLY A BACK ORDER ITEM(which they didn't have)? WHAT'S UP WITH THAT!
P.S. MONITOU, BE PREPARED WHEN SUMMER COMES AROUND (PEOPLE TEND TO RIDE MORE? AHH, YEA!)THAT MEANS HAVE THE PRODUCTS YOU ADVERTISE ON HAND.

Favorite Trail:   GRANT RANCH

Purchased At:   PRICE POINT

Similar Products Used:   AS OF TODAY I STILL USE THE 2001 BALCK FORK (20'BMX) WITH THE FIRM SPRING I INSTALLED THAT YEAR. I'VE NEVER HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THESE FORKS AND HAVE AT LEAST 1500 OF MILES OF MODERATE RIDING. WHAT'S WITH THAT MANITOU!

Bike Setup:   MONGOOSE PRO FULL SUSPN- MAVIC CROSSMAX/THOMSON POST & STEM/XTR PODS & DERAILERS/HAYS HYDRO DISC BRAKES/ CARBON EC70 MONKEY LITE BARS

Submitted by John M. a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2005

Strengths:    Good compression and rebound, I like the pop lock, it gets me out of the saddle more. the black has allowed me to go faster than some of my friends on their FS, with more control.

Weaknesses:    the pop-loc is a little fidgity, and requires constant attention with the adjuster.

Bottom Line:
I'm liking this fork. Granted I had a rockshox Duke before and never really loved that one, but these forks have really transformed my bike. I also thought the pop lock was going to be one of those gimics that I would never use, but now I'm addicted. Its not quite as plush as the '04 black platinum that I'm familiar with, but doesn't seem to pack-up as much with multiple hits either.

four chilis on value cause all forks are so damn expensive.
five on overall, but I haven't had a problem or had to deal with answers customer service yet...

Similar Products Used:   '04 black platinum, '02 Duke SL, many older POS's

Bike Setup:   Mrazek hardtail with 100mm superair out front.

Submitted by phoeneous a Cross Country Rider from Vegas

Date Reviewed: June 8, 2005

Strengths:    This fork is extremely light but very durable. It has a great damping adjustment that lets you adjust your travel compression. The lockout feature is nice when climbing. Evil Genius seals keep dirt out very well. A nice feature is the rebound compression dial which allows you to control the rebound depending on the terrain.

Weaknesses:    Stickered decals suck granted I scratched the fork big time on a rock. Green uppers but thats a personal preference. Wouldve been nice if it was all black consideribg the name of the fork. Didnt come with the handlebar mounted lockout but I think it was a closeout fork and at the price I paid, I didnt care.

Bottom Line:
This is a great fork and the price I paid makes it even better. I think it retails at $499 and I paid $260! All the features it has lets the rider fine tune it to adapt to different trails. I weigh 160lbs and have yet to bottom it out with the air pressure set at 90psi. Good fork for XC and Agressive XC.

Purchased At:   Nashbar w/ discount

Bike Setup:   03 HardRock with a crapload of upgrades.

Submitted by Bill Stanwicks a Cross Country Rider from Coventry, CT. USA

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2005

Strengths:    Plush feel,lots of travel, stiffness and the handlebar mounted lock-out that works, weight

Weaknesses:    Oil leak from rebound adjuster knob, after 2 rides. Decals peeling off

Bottom Line:
Like the forks action. Point it and hit what you want. Real smooth. Feels as stiff as Mega-Air that came w/bike but 100 times more adjustable. The lock-out is probably a bit of overkill for my purposes but its a useable feature to have. Disappointed that its developed a problem so soon after purchase.

Favorite Trail:   GayCity State Forest