Manitou Axel Super 2005 Front Shocks

2.88/5 (25 Reviews)

Axel continues to be Manitou's best-value priced fork for 2005. And it's feature-rich! You get adjustable travel from 70-100mm via Rapid Travel Wind Down and a lockout knob for great climbing performance. Magnesium reverse-arch style casting keeps them super stiff.

Submitted by Dominic Libby a Cross Country Rider from Milton

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    Smooth, Lockout, compression & rebound work perfect after oil change and proper amount installed.

Weaknesses:    Weight and mini boots on seals. Little flexy(28mm stanchions).

Bottom Line:
I wasn't to sure about this fork. It came on a frame I bought on eBay. Very low miles and looks near new. I figured I'd sell it on eBay but then I researched how cheap they're selling for(probably because of the low reviews). So I decided to check it out and keep it.
Right away I noticed it's very smooth in its travel(80mm) and the rebound worked great. I wasn't getting the compression dampening or lockout to work. It felt like my old Manipoo SX-R with low oil. So I drained the oil using the service guide and owners manual for reference and refilled it to the proper level(115mm from the top) using 5w Finish Line Shock oil. The thing has really come to life and all the functions are now functioning. She's a little chunky(4.4 lbs.) but I like it's feel so I'll keep it for a while. Very simple to service and it smokes the newer cheaper line of RockShox(Darts) and Marzocchi's(22's, 33's, MX's).

Purchased At:   w/Jamis frame on eBa

Similar Products Used:   I have 6 bikes so I try lots of forks. Here's what's close for comparing. Marzocchi Marathon, Marzocchi MX, RockShox SID, RockShox Reba, RockShox Duke, Fox Float RCL,(keep in mind the Reba, Duke and Float mentioned are 32mm stanchioned forks so they're stiffer), Manitou SX-R, Manitou R7.

Bike Setup:   '05 Jamis Exile Steel hardtail frame.LX Crank & fr, derailleur, LX Hydro's Disc brakes, RaceFace Next SL Post, RaceFace Deus Stem, Nashbar Carbon Riser Bars, FSA XC300SL Wheelset, FSA Headset, WTB SST.98 Saddle, Sram XO Twist Shifters & X7 Rear derailleur and an OEM 80mm travel Manitou Axel w/air, rebound, Lockout and compression adjust.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2007

Strengths:    Price point, perfomance (compared to what it replaced)

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
When I compare this to the stock fork its leaps and bounds above it. My '06 Rincon came with a Suntour SR fork with 75mm of useless travel. I guess in short, expect to get what you've paid when it comes to this Manitou. I mean; you don't buy a Chevy Cavalier and start complaining that it handles like sh1t and is slow as hell. If your primary riding is X Country with the occasional romp down some hills or some raunchy single track, you'll be fine (atleast I have). Nothing has broken, performance has been good. For a new fork in the beginner to weekend warrior class, the price was right compared to my other options.

Favorite Trail:   Local

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy, Quadra 21, Suntour SR

Bike Setup:   Giant Rincon, with some moderate upgrades.

Submitted by Heavyh20 a Weekend Warrior from Greensboro, NC

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2006

Strengths:    $$$, beginner affordable (make sure you've adjusted this fork for the weight of the rider)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
Fairly robust beginner fork. Not for extreme riding or nut drops. Price is great. Have fun now get out there and ride baby . . .

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Suntour crap

Bike Setup:   Coil EX

Submitted by Jap a Cross Country Rider from Nijmegen, the Netherlands

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    Plush, durable, adjustable. Nice ride, soaks up everything up to moderate speed.

Weaknesses:    I'm not sure the rebound knob does what it's suppost to do. It is not very stiff.

Bottom Line:
Nice fork. I've ridden it for 2 years without servicing. I ride about 60 miles a week (Holland is not entirely flat...) When you average more than 18 mph the fork shows it's weaknesses. That's why I'm replacing it, so far no problems what so ever. Cheap, reliable, strong, plush. Don't complain, just ride. Great for beginning XC warriors.

Purchased At:   Kersten wielersport

Similar Products Used:   Rst crap, RS, Black.

Bike Setup:   NRS3

Submitted by Xezran from GA

Date Reviewed: August 7, 2006

Strengths:    Great for beginners, pretty good travel (for biginners). great value.

Weaknesses:    If you hit some hardcore trails you might wish you had a better fork, But, no problem so far

Bottom Line:
Great for beginners

Purchased At:   friend

Submitted by Bull a Cross Country Rider from Cluj Napoca, Romania

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2006

Strengths:    travel, compression, lockout, rebound & looks great

Weaknesses:    very slight oil build up on uppers (if that can be called weakness)

Bottom Line:
I think i'm just lucky, cause i have NO problems with it.I think other people are just too agrresive with this fork. All i did with it it's some trail ridding and 3 ft jumps. It works great so far. I'm planning on an upgrade if my ride skills and stile improves. It's very cheap, and it's perfect for an begenner like me. Don't buy it if u are an experience rider (so i've been told).

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   Manitou SX

Bike Setup:   Scott voltage MX1, Truvativ, Shimano, Mavic, Hayes, Sun Rims, IRC

Submitted by Michael Lopez a Downhiller from Phoenix AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2006

Strengths:    its good for its purpose, which half the morons submitting downing reviews on this fork don't have the slightest Idea about!....

Weaknesses:    none if you are an entry level MTB'er... everything if you have advanced to a particular point in your skill of riding to which most will in good time...

Bottom Line:
The one major pisser about this website is that you have so many complete morons that go out of there way to submitt a review about something they don't fully understand, yet are so fast to down a product... Let me tell ya something. FIRST OF ALL, this is an entry level fork! it was meant for little kids and adults starting out! which is why if you pay attention, to the rest of the component set up on your bike, what your dealing with. they probably aren't the most high end ether!!! This fork is good for what it is! If your an idiot and take it off 3 foot drops, and run it hard, a little bell should go off in your head, that you need something that is built for that, which again goes into research about similar products and there primary purpose to which, if they had done so in the first place would not have left such crap reviews out of ignorance!

Five Flaming chilies for this entry level xc fork

Favorite Trail:   any one I can find.

Similar Products Used:   manitou scarib, R-7, Fox FRLT, rock shox pilot.

Bike Setup:   I have so many bikes its rediculous.

Submitted by bill eeyore a Weekend Warrior from couer d alene idaho

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Strengths:    looks cool

Weaknesses:    everything

Bottom Line:
I weigh 150 lbs. and only ride some bike trails around in the Northern Idaho area. I hit some gnarly roots that were protruding out of the gravel trail and the fork made a huge popping sound and all this oil started to squirt out on my suit that I was wearing. I ended up paying $100 in dry cleaning to try to get the oil out, but it only ruined my suit more. don't buy this fork at all costs!

Favorite Trail:   bike paths

Purchased At:   singletrack cycles

Bike Setup:   giant sedona

Submitted by charles eden a Cross Country Rider from granite bay, CA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2006

Strengths:    holds wheel on.

Weaknesses:    blows out after average use, hard to service, heavier than most. rebound damp'n did little to help.

Bottom Line:
Now I know why they give it away free with the bike. Holds the wheel on in the shop, that's aobut it. Otherwise: Look elsewhere, abuse and trash it quickly or just plan on replacing very soon....

Favorite Trail:   downeyville

Purchased At:   came with specialized FSR xc

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox Judy, Marz. bomber, Rock shox duke xc, Girvin

Bike Setup:   Spec. FSR XC, XT/XTR, avid disc, setup mostly for X-country, some downhill.

Submitted by a o a Weekend Warrior from toronto

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2006

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    eveything

Bottom Line:
this is a horrible fork it has no senitivity, the only time it compresses is when you stand over it and push down on the handle bars! It's like their idea of a pedalling platform is to not have the fork be able to move as soon as you start moving. I've done everything possible to make it work better and it's still garbage!

Gets on of each for working whhile it's in the shop...manitou did a great job of selling it as that's the only time it works!

Similar Products Used:   cheap forks that worked better

Bike Setup:   trek 6500 w/ HFX 9 discs

Submitted by Jason a Weekend Warrior from Saint Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    allright for a beginner or someone who doesn't ride very hard and it did work alright for a couple of months (about 400-500 trail miles)

Weaknesses:    lets see, this fork would work one day correctly and then by the end of the ride it would sieze up and not move more than a few mm. When you go off 3 foot drops it won't work anymore.

Bottom Line:
don't get this fork if you ride hard. I am into jumps and small dropoffs. I had this fork and then i sent it in to manitou and they sent it back, same problem same fork, sent it in again and they gave me a brand new Minute 1 which has worked amazingly so far. I am now a very happy customer!!

Favorite Trail:   Fruita CO trails

Purchased At:   lbs (came with bike)

Similar Products Used:   rock shox judy sl & tt, jett, Manitou six, minute 1 (great fork so far)

Bike Setup:   Schwinn rocket pro, manitou minute 1, hussefelt cranks, maxxis 2.35 mobsters

Submitted by C C a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    If it worked, compression, rebound and lock out

Weaknesses:    Totally seizes up after about 20 minutes of trail riding.

Bottom Line:
Came with the bike. Had I known about all the issues people have had with the fork in the past, I would have gotten something else. About after a month of riding, had noticed that the fork started to become stiff (to the point where attempting to press down on the handlebars does nothing) after 20 minutes of riding on the trails. My trail riding is nothing close to extreme, mostly cross country stuff. Anyways, after two more months of riding (with the problem) decided to send the bike back for warrantee work. The fork was replaced then the bike went into storage for the winter. Well, what do you know, took the bike out of storage today, and after about 40 minutes of riding, the same problem came back to visit. So, if you can, avoid this fork like the plague.

Similar Products Used:   nil... previous fork was a Rockshox Judy

Bike Setup:   2005 Jamis Exile Stock

Submitted by Larry a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2006

Strengths:    height travel adjust 90-120mm, compression adjust and lockout option, rebound adjust

Weaknesses:    leaks oil onto uppers not a big leak but enough to cause an oily buildup. Came stock with a very light spring - probably good for a person half my weight as I measure twice the recommended sag. I am 92kg. Bottoms out easily I need to set compression 1 off from being locked out. Rebound adjust doesn't seem to do alot. Heavy for what it does.

Bottom Line:
I am disappointed with this fork. Purchased this bike on end of model runout sale for $1300. I should have done a little more research on the front forks before I bought this bike. In hindsight it would have been better buying the more expensive indian firetrail as this came with a fox fork FRL 100mm.
On my nail trail if I want to have a suspension setup that doesn't bottom out and this is running on very benign off road tracks,I have to run the compression 1 off being locked out, any less and it will bottom out. I have ordered some firmer springs through my LBS but I was told not to expect these anytime soon. I am wondering now if its actually worth the trouble of investing in a heavier spring, or better off in investing in some better forks. Bottom line avoid these forks.

Bike Setup:   marin nail trail 2005

Submitted by neil a Cross Country Rider from louisville, ky US

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2006

Strengths:    absolutely nothing

Weaknesses:    everything that can be weak about a fork

Bottom Line:
this fork sucks. the first one i bought blew out in the first ten minutes of riding, so i sent it back. the second one didn't make it to the end of the street, and now the third one has failed after about a year. i don't think i'll even send it back cause i don't want another. also, it is way too soft and the adjustment does absolutely nothing (i only weigh 150 lbs.). this thing is a peice of junk. the skareb was also junk, allowed for virtually no adjustment, and gets about 30mm of travel after about a year of riding. if you want a quality fork, stick to rockshox, i have pounded the hell out of my duke, and although it doesn't get quite the travel it used to, it still performs great and doesn't leak at all.

Favorite Trail:   otter creek loop