Fox Shox Vanilla RLC 130 2005 Front Shocks

2005 Vanilla Forx now offer disc-only castings! Enjoy 130mm of travel (internally convertible to 100mm) on one of the stiffest , most precise forks around.

The top-of-the-Vanilla-line RLC offers maximum adjustability, with a 12 click rebound damper, lockout, low-speed compression damping, and adjustable blow-off threshold. They're a snap to tune to match your riding style. Patented scraper-lip seals that keep oil in and debris out, ensuring the longevity and performance of your fork. 2005 Vanilla's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Submitted by roadrash56 a Downhiller from portland OR united states

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2009

Strengths:    everything is perfect for the way i ride!!!!

Weaknesses:    absolutly NONE!!!!!

Bottom Line:
THE FORKS ARE AMAZING!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   the lair bend OR

Purchased At:   on pinkbike.com

Similar Products Used:   x fusion velvet and bombers

Bike Setup:   santa cruz jackal. i treat it like a downhill bike and the forks help me do that!!!!!

Submitted by Will a Racer from Houghton, MI

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2006

Strengths:    Light, smooth, durable, adjustments work well, robust, smooth, stiff. Does not have Terralogic. I wish my downhill fork worked as well.

Bottom Line:
After over 2 years and several thousand miles of hard off road riding (it has out lived 2 frames), this fork still functions well. So far I've had to send it in because the bushings were a bit loose from the factory, they fixed it and I was riding it again in a couple weeks. I've replaced the seals once, and changed the oil maybe 6-7 times (they recommend 7.5 wt, 10wt works fine even in winter, don't use 5wt since the hydro-dynamic bushings don't seem to kick in). Recently, I've noticed that the bushings are initially a bit sticky, but still buttery smooth if you actually hit a bump (it still feels far better than terralogic forks, and is remarkably stable).

Favorite Trail:   Copper Harbor

Similar Products Used:   Psylo, Dorado

Bike Setup:   XC racing

Submitted by Janne a Cross Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    Very plush but still not bottoming. Rather light compared to other oil forks with same lenght. Amazingly stiff.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Fork feels perfect for the 5-spot.

Purchased At:   pp

Similar Products Used:   Reba Race, Marathon, Revelation, Black Elite

Bike Setup:   Turner 5-Spot w. Fox RP3

Submitted by matt from H-ville

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2006

Strengths:    it's a great fork, smooth, adjustable, probably one of the stiffest forks thats a Quick release, has a clean look to it, 32mm stanchions are nice because anything smaller is obsolete and weak, never really had to have it serviced, well... for the internals. pretty damn light also

Weaknesses:    i broke the crown and luckly i've had it just under one year so i can have it replaced under warrantee

Bottom Line:
well.. it was a great fork for about 10 months and i bought it thinking all mountain and light freeride was as extreme as i was gonna get, but i got bored of that and started freeriding. Bad decision with a fork like this, it's good for occasional drops here and there and will do good for dirt jumping, but freeriding,,,NO. i got this fork cause when i was looking for forks i was a weight weenie and that decision has come back and slapped me in the face, i could have got a 150mm or 170mm travel but i was worried about that extra pound or 2 and thought i would need that much but now my fork stanchion is loose inside the crown and creaks and wiggles around, very nerve racking and right now it's not to bad i can still ride with it but if i keep riding like this for 1 more month it will bust, so i'm gonna send it in, I would give it a 4 but i know i should have not expected so much from a light weight fork.. that was my bad soo yeah, DON"T FREERIDE WITH IT and when i go to whistler with it fixed i'm really gonna hope it doesn't break again.

Favorite Trail:   i don't even know any more

Purchased At:   i think price point

Similar Products Used:   ... just think everything of anykind

Bike Setup:   Versus blitz 6" travel freeride frame with mostly freeride components except for the fox vanilla fork and my hubs.

Submitted by Ben Anastasio a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    Works flawlessly, it's a FOX fork, everything works

Weaknesses:    It is a coil shock, but it's super plush. A little difficult to get adjusted to the way you ride.

Bottom Line:
This fork might be "bottom line" for FOX, it might be coil shock, and it might be a little heavy, but it still is a great fork. It is super plush, and just works. Whatever you throw at it, it seems to keep up with and never lacks with rebound.

Purchased At:   Price Point

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talas, Marzocci Marathon SL

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 80 2005, Hayes Nine, XT, Fox Vanilla

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Florida yes florida

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    all machined aluminum (hate plastic knobs), 32mm stancions, 1st inch of travel soaks up the annoying stuff 130 mm allows you to still have some fun

Weaknesses:    none known of yet

Bottom Line:
FYI - www.trails-edge.com has the 2006 Vanilla RLC w/free king headset for $490 + free shipping, LBS suggest $35 to install ($525)as of this posting

I asked LBS if they could match they came close ($560), and i prefer keep my money in the neighborhood, but figured there were others might find this info useful.

I am one of those clydes who uses his bullit for everything, Vanilla RLC seems like a fit, i researched and most i spoke to said Zoke ETA is exciting at 1st but after a while set and leave, i figured use RLC lockout for climbs and let the 130mm soak up the XC / FR /DH's. I also my other option was Zoke AM1 or SL,

Has anyone run a 130mm fork on a Bullit? I set the nixon at 130 and rake seems fine but would like to hear from anyone who has run this, or simil;ar setup.

Favorite Trail:   pick one

Similar Products Used:   manitou nixon elite (too much bob), zoke OEM 80mm on 1999 hardtail (still a great fork)

Bike Setup:   Bullit, 5th, hayes9, trailpimp, 06 VANILLA RLC (w/firm coil), race face drive, King head

Submitted by Filipe Nunes a Weekend Warrior from Portugal

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2006

Strengths:    looks,reliability,stiffness,lock-out,hundreds of set ups

Weaknesses:    it could have 150mm travel

Bottom Line:
I´ve bought it used, but so far so good.Unbelieveble stifness, really stable on downhill, strong for some drops(not big though; rider limitaion).It gives great comfort and confidence to ride really really fast.Trust me, it´s really that good, great upgrade to your bike. If you find a cheap one like I did DON`T HESITATE.

Similar Products Used:   a lot of rubish

Bike Setup:   Banshee Wraith

Submitted by Juan Mateo a Weekend Warrior from Sneads Ferry, nc

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2006

Strengths:    Can you say PLUSH!!! Super stiff, stiction free, easily adjustable, low maintenance...the list goes on

Weaknesses:    NONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
One word describes this fork - AWESOME! I bought my bike from Richard's Bicycles who swapped out the Talas R for the Vanilla RLC...this was by request b/c I wanted a plush ride over adjustability.

Favorite Trail:   Brig

Purchased At:   Richards BikeS

Similar Products Used:   '00 Manitou Mars C (Should've used a rigid fork to save the weight b/c this thing sucked)

Bike Setup:   '05 Mongoose Teocali Super, stock except for Crank Bros pedals, WTB Rocket-V saddle, Raceface Evolve post, Stan's No Tubes, and Oury Lock-On grips. This bike rocks, by the way!

Submitted by Bennett M.L. Sansbury a Weekend Warrior from South Carolina

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2006

Strengths:    Butter smooth, endless travel, and a new feeling on the front end thanks to the 32mm stancions (sp). My front end previously was fine, I thought I had control on certain sections but now w/ the stiffness the Vanilla offers it is amazing.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
If you have the option to purchase the Vanilla, DO IT. You will not be sorry. I am utterly speechless on the performance that the RLC has provided me on the trails. My previous fork was 64mm of travel and the Vanilla is 130mm, so I've got a massive geometery change, but it is still ok. I do alot more freeriding, downhill, all mountain riding (yes, on a hardtail) that I do plan ole' XC riding. Therefore the Vanilla fits right in. You can swap out the spacers to drop her to 100mm which is perfect for that weekend race.

I really can not say enough good things about the Vanilla. I wanted a full on mountain fork that would survive anything no matter where I ride to. The coil spring gives me better feel and butter smooth compression and rebound. Plus, I feel much safer about going out for several days on my bike w/ the coil spring compared to an air fork. The price was nice to! I am very happy w/ my purchase. Wonderful quality and excellent engineering.
Thanks FOX!

Favorite Trail:   Fox Den Farm

Purchased At:   PP

Similar Products Used:   ROCK SHOX SID TEAM, 98' ROCK SHOX JUDY SL, 2003 JUDY

Bike Setup:   97' SCHWINN HOMEGROWN CLASSIC FRAME-fully repainted, rebuilt, w/ X0, WTB, Thompson, Phil Wood, and Mavic parts. Oh, can't forget the Vanilla RLC up front.

Submitted by Joe a Weekend Warrior from Fort Hood, TX

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2006

Strengths:    Bombproof, smooth as silk, easy setup, all kinds of tuning options

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
What a great riding fork! I've had 6 wrist surgeries to date (with hardware) and this fork has saved me from a life without riding. The coil spring is buttery smooth and if I had to taste it, it would be a creamy vanilla. I upgraded the spring (which comes with it) as I am over 200 lbs and haven't looked back since. I can't sing its praises enough. If you are heavy set, got a gimp wrist, or just want a bottomless feeling fork, give this one a try.

Favorite Trail:   Honeybee, Seoul, South Korea

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   Rockshok Judy, Cannondale Lefty and Super Fatty

Bike Setup:   04 Santa Cruz Heckler w/ 5th Element, LX/XT drivetrain, Mavic F219 rims w/ XT hubs, Mallet C pedals, WTB Rocket V saddle

Submitted by Mark a Weekend Warrior from Toronto

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2006

Strengths:    - Great quality engineering.
- Comes with three springs (rates).
- Rock solid and under 4 lbs.
- Lock-out and compression work very very well.
- Solid finish, hard to scratch.

Weaknesses:    - ZERO issues.

Bottom Line:
Buy one. Handleing is amazing. Saved by butt a few times rolling drop-offs, where I would have endoed with my Psylo.
Big stepup from RS.

All dials and adjustments work great. All aluminum knobs and controls. Nothing will break like Manitou Minute parts.

Also: Bought it from Blue Sky Cycling on-line. Good experience, as my first fork never arrived, they shipped a new one without question or hassle. Thanks to Eddie at Blue Sky for the great service!

Purchased At:   Blue Sky Cycling

Similar Products Used:   Lots, Rock Shox Psylo XC, Marz, etc

Bike Setup:   Giant AC Air Lite, XTR, Thompson post, carbon stuff. 27.5 lb 6" travel ride.

Submitted by Arthur a Cross Country Rider from Dural NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2005

Strengths:    Rigid, plush, higly tunable, great build quality and it looks absolutely awesome!

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I bought these to replace my crappy Rock Shox Judy SL and have not looked back. The thicker stanchions and butter smooth coil spring action has improved my ride considerably. I can now tackle much tougher terrain with much more ease and control.

I rode the forks at 130mm for a while but decided to change the spacers to 100mm to better suit the geometry of my bike. I did it myself by following the instruction manual and it wasn't too difficult albeit a little fiddly.

I love the adjustability of these forks, I set the blow off valve early on and have not had to touch it since. I have swapped the various springs around to see which I prefer and ended up using the standard spring. I use the low speed compression dial and the lockout lever almost every ride...fantastic forks!

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy SL

Bike Setup:   2005 Giant NRS3, SRAM X-9 drivetrain, Fox Float R, Maxxis Larsen TTs, Avid Juicy 5s.

Submitted by matt a Weekend Warrior from hansville washington U.S.A

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    Everything, it's stiff as hell, it's plush and absorbant but hardly ever bottoms out. extremely light for a 130mm travel coil sprung fork. the adjustments make a huge difference i don't know i lived with out them. 32mm stanchions, did i mention it's hella stiff, lockout works great especially on those long uphill climbs. great fork i couldn't ask for anything more

Weaknesses:    IT tends to make you try things.... bad, not safe to do things

Bottom Line:
this fork is great, compared to my old rockshox, right when the fork was put on i felt something i never felt before, stiffness, i could balance better and turning became more resposive than with my old rock shox. it put my xc bike in a freeride position (my geometry's all messed up right now) which made it easier to jump but harder to climb on steeps because the nose will lift up. my wrist don't hurt any more after a long ride for it absorbs little bumps and when set wit the right amount of sag you don't have to put any effort into potholes, with this thing you never have to find the best lines, just take the lines that look the most fun and challenging. it's good for freeride, trail riding, kinda XC except it screwed up my geometry on my bike but i need a new frame anyways. It's nearly perfect i love it, it's more plus than a talas and Brian lopes uses this fork on his bike instead of a float or a talas, thats got to mean something.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   2003 rock shox pilot c, 2006 marzocchi all mountain 3, 2004 fox vanilla 125 RLC, manitou sherman, manitou splice, stiffy forks, manitou skarab, cannondale lefty, manitou six, fox talas, many othr marzocchi's, rockshox's and manitou's

Bike Setup:   trek 4900 hardtail frame (crap) with really nice components that i just upgraded, i really need a new frame, my fox absorbs everything and the back just takes it like a punch to the face.

Submitted by pat t a Cross Country Rider from swoyersville PA USA

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2005

Strengths:    very plush, great for trail riding, light

Bottom Line:
this fork is the best 415 dollars i ever spent its great for the type of riding i do and most people do. very light compared to my old one that was about 7 pounds.