Fox Shox F80X 2005 Front Shocks

3.75/5 (12 Reviews)

This might be the best pure cross-country fork on the market today. Lighweight, tunability, and performance truly come together with the F80 chassis. You get versatile lowers that support both linear-pull brakes and 51mm IS disc calipers, 80mm of travel, patented scraper lip seals, and an infinitely adjustable air spring. But the crown jewel is the TerraLogic technology, which distinguishes between rider induced forces (standing to climb or sprint, for example) and bump forces from the ground. This means you can climb out of the saddle, bob-free, yet still enjoy a plush fork that soaks up the bumps.

Since the F80X is equipped with TerraLogic, there's no need for a lockout mechanism - it's all handled automatically. You'll also enjoy tremendous longevity and reliability, thanks to features like Fox-patented scraper lip seals. The F80X also features specially designed, purpose-built internal and chassis parts to further reduce the weight. 2005 F80x's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Submitted by wellen a Racer from edinburg,texas

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2007

Strengths:    stiff,easy to set up,plushness,craftmanship and looks.

Weaknesses:    performance wise none so far but expensive if you buy it new and if it could loose some weight.

Bottom Line:
this fork rocks,it carves corners like no other which reminds me of the flexy sids,and auto lock out is the future of bike suspension technology(my opinion)so far im very please.

Favorite Trail:   fast singletrack with climbs

Similar Products Used:   manitou black spv,rockshox sid wc,and sl

Bike Setup:   giant nrs carbon,xtr,xo,spinergy wheels,xrp's,fsa.

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Gallup, NM

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    1) "Terralogic" automatic lockout simply has to be ridden to be believed
2) Stiff, no flex, smooth action, plush when you need it to be
3) All metal, no cheap-o plastic knobs, beautiful!

Weaknesses:    None (and after buying it used AND putting over 200 miles on it)

Bottom Line:
1) Stunningly expensive, so I bought mine used (on eBay) to give it a try. It is so stupifyingly good, it makes me weep. You can attack every climb completely out of the saddle with ZERO bobbing, yet it's fully active & plush instantly when you need it, like it's magic. Incredible.
2) This fork is almost clairvoyant the way it reads the trail. It does the thinking for you so you just ride. If you are a trail rider (and not a huckster) you have just got to try this fork. (I've also got an F100X on my Sugar).
3) I got mine used, have put >200 miles on it, have never, ever done any maintenance, and it still performs flawlessly. I never add air. I've never had a leaky seal. (I'm 180# and I just ride epic desert singlerack (no hucks, no jumps over 2 feet vertical)). If that's you, then this is your next fork. Terralogic forever!

Favorite Trail:   HDT

Purchased At:   eBay (used)

Similar Products Used:   Various Manitou and Rockshox (older, pre-stable platform ones)

Bike Setup:   2005 KHS Solo One (before that, it was on a 2000 Diamondback XR-8)

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Sunnyvale

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth when it has to be. Stiffness / adjustability,
Automatic Lockout - Don't have to worry about forgetting to unlock the fork.
When this product works, it tracks, climbs, and descends like a dram. The FOX F80X is a super fast fork. This fork climbs like a rigid fork and descends like a dream.

Weaknesses:    FOX customer service is practically no existent. Worst in the industry.
My fork's seal started leaking after 2 months of riding. They said it's normal for open bath system. My Marzocchi Marathon does not have that problem.

Bottom Line:
When it's working properly, It's one of best fork I have used.

It's a stiff price to pay for a problematic fork. For the price of the fork, I expected VIP service.

Reliability and Customer Service needs improvement.

Favorite Trail:   Saratoga Gap / Soquel Demo

Purchased At:   Web

Similar Products Used:   Marathon Race, Atom Race 100 w/ETA, Fox 100R, Sid Team

Bike Setup:   Intense, Fox F80X, Shimano XTR, Hugi 240 custom,

Submitted by Cliff a Cross Country Rider from Tallahassee, FL

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2005

Strengths:    The FOX F80X is a super fast fork. This fork climbs like a rigid fork and descends like a dream.

Weaknesses:    I've had some reliability issues but after some prodding Fox took care of me.

Bottom Line:
The FOX F80X is a great fork for someone who rides cross country and likes to go fast. When you get out of the saddle to climb you will not believe how much extra power you have compared to a fully active fork. You will look at your fiends funny because their forks are constantly bobbing.

There are two considerations before buying this fork. One, if you like to bunny hop and you are good at it you will not like this fork.Because this fork is locked out before you jump, you can not preload the fork for that extra spring you are accustomed to. In fact when I road a friends bike with a traditional fork I jumped so high from my bunny hop that I nearly crashed. To me the advantages of the terra-logic outweigh the bunny hopping. The second consideration is that the fork takes some getting used to. It takes some time to get accustomed to the terra-logic while cornering at high speeds. Like all forks you need to take the time to get the fork adjusted and dialed in, the F80X also allows you to adjust how sensitive the lock out is and this is a nice touch.

If you have the money and you like to be the first to the top buy this fork.

Purchased At:   Higher Ground Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Most lightweight XC forks.

Bike Setup:   Single Speed

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Michigan

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2005

Strengths:    smooth when it has to be

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best fork I have used. When I hit rocks or roots the bars never move and they seem not to even slow me down. Locks out automatically when you need it to. On climbs it locks out until you hit a bump and then absorbs it. I noticed a big difference in the handling after hitting rough terrain, the wheel seems to hug the ground alot more instead of bouncing around. Haven't had any problems yet and hope I don't. My downhills have become alot faster with this fork, and for some reason when I bunning hop log obstacles, my front wheel becomes more air bourne than my other forks. Recommend it to anyone for and upgrade. Was thinking of upgrading to a new Trek, but now its like a whole new ride.....

Favorite Trail:   poto

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Duke, Rockshox sid, Manitou Black

Bike Setup:   2002 Trek Fuel 100, disc,Mavic Cross Max,xtr comp

Submitted by Mike a Downhiller from Aliso Viejo

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2005

Bottom Line:
I couldn't help but post this after reading these reviews. I have to agree that the tech support at Fox is absolutely terrible. I had a sleeve on a brand new air shock that was defective (anodizing was flaking off inside and clogging the crossover port), and even after I told them exactly what was wrong, they still just replaced the o-rings and sent it back. I called and asked why they didn't fix it, and they said their tech looked at the sleeve and said it was fine. When I told them I was looking at the inside of the sleeve, and it was obviously not fine, I was basically called a liar and told they would take the word of their tech who has rebuilt thousands of shocks. After being called a liar, and swearing never to buy another Fox product, I found a spare sleave at the shop and now it works fine. This is just one example in a hundred such problems I had with them during my bike shop career. They are pompus and incompetent. Some of their stuff works, but god help you if you get a bad one. It will be a write off.

Favorite Trail:   Yes, most definately, well, maybe not.

Submitted by FoShizzle from SoCal

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    Stiffness, adjustability

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
Fork (F80X). Boy, I am a believer!!! I was so impressed. On the climbs, it really works to prevent virtually all bob. On the downhills, the fork worked so absolutely incredible I actually could not believe it. It aborbed everything when I wanted it to and allowed me to go so fast through sections where other forks would be too mushy. I think I nailed the setup on it which of course helps. I love it!!!! I have had lots of high-end forks lately so I have a good basis of comparison (for what it is worth as baseline, in past few years, had 03 Fox Float 100RLC, 03 Fox Talas, 03 Marz Z1FR, 03 Marz Z150, 05 Marz Marathon Race, 05 Marz All Mountain 1).

Purchased At:   Mountain High Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   see below

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed

Submitted by Mike Blitz a Cross Country Rider from WB, MICH, USA

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2005

Strengths:    Adjustments are easy, Inertia valve lockout is very beneficial when functioning properly.

Weaknesses:    Longevity of key component and Fox's ability to repair unit sent in.

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike because of the fork. Leaked a bit of oil after 6 months but was told this was normal break in so I accepted that. Then it appeared that the inertia valve was malfuntioning because when you leaned on the bar the fork compressed at least two inches so my LBS sent it in for repair. After four week I got it back and IT STILL PERFORMS THE EXACT SAME. Thank heavens my LBS is so cool and they are stepping up and ordering a new one for me. Thanks Clay, Frank and the rest at KLM, shame on the tech at Fox.

Favorite Trail:   PLRA

Purchased At:   KLM (LBS)

Bike Setup:   2004 Stumpy Comp completely stock

Submitted by El Me a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area

Date Reviewed: April 10, 2005

Strengths:    Ride. Build quality.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding MTB’s for about 12 years, and have had this on my bike for about 5 rides on trails that are tore up with hoof prints everywhere. So far it is the best thing I have had on the front of any bike. It's plush when it needs to be and stiff when climbing or on flat surface. It's almost like magic. It seamlessly does what it has to, holds a line and inspires confidence. It’s hard to explain. Just set it and forget it. Yes it's costly, but so far the ride makes me forget about it.

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler, rear shoack Manitou Swinger SPV 3

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Buford, Ga, USA

Date Reviewed: March 23, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff, allows me to concentrate on riding fast and smooth instead of having the distraction of locking the front fork in and out. Don't have to worry about forgetting to unlock the fork.

Weaknesses:    The seal started leaking, on one side, after one season of racing sport Clydesdale. At least it was not very expensive to replace the seal. I weight 208 Lbs.

Bottom Line:
Pricey but it does what it is suposed to. I can't imagine going back to a regular fork now.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods

Purchased At:   Adventure Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox with handlebar remote.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Hardtail.

Submitted by Ben a Racer from Sparks, NV USA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2004

Strengths:    When this product works, it tracks, climbs, and descends like a champ. Point and shoot.

Weaknesses:    FOX customer service is practically no existent. I have sent my fork back 3 times in 3 months because they can't seem to get the fork to stop spilling oil out all over the fork and the rest of my bike.

Bottom Line:
When these forks work, there is no better fork on the market. Period. My other FOX products work great. But pray to the bike gods to never have a problem, because once something goes wrong it's very frustrating. I have sent my fork back in late july, august, and now september, only to have FOX charge me $100 for the first service and then have then replace the SAME parts the next two times with no charge (wow thanks FOX). Not to mention I've had to pay for shipping every time I've sent this thing back. Each time I have asked what it would take to get this fork replaced (something is obviously defective) and have recieved the same answer, "We think we've fixed it this time. If we haven't, then maybe next time we'll look at other options."
Well, after recieving my fork back just in time to race Mammoth Nationals on it, the thing blew up again! One ride and one race on this thing and it goes to crap. Oil everywhere. I called, and reluctently sent the fork back for the third time because I was told it was time for FOX to look into replacing my fork. Called today and was given the same garbage that my seals and cartriges were replaced and hopefully the problem is fixed, if not send it back and we'll explore other options. Aparently third time is not the charm with FOX.
Well, FOX says they'll explore other options if the fork craps out again, and I'm exploring my options (regretfully) for another fork so I don't have to deal with FOX again.

Similar Products Used:   FOX 80RLT- Has worked flawlessly from the time I bought it.

Bike Setup:   03' Superlight, FOX Fork, SRAM XO, XTR Cranks, Eggbeaters, Chris King Headset and Wheels, Kenda Tires, Avid Ultimate Brakes and Levers.

Submitted by scurra a Cross Country Rider from Maryland

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2004

Strengths:    inertia valve locks fork, yet unlocks when needed. Stiff. Smooth lines makes sharp looking fork. Fork crown is machined away a bit for weight savings.

Weaknesses:    Skewer can't close vertically, and must point forward a bit. People stare as you ride by.

Bottom Line:
This is the first fork I've seen work for my wife. She's on the light side, and has always had issues finding forks that match her weight. She also isn't into bike tech. She loves not having to manually lock out the fork during the ride. She always forgot to unlock the demo fork during the test rides. Anyone not looking for 80mm of travel stick with a 100mm or 120mm fork. This isn't a freeride fork. THe travel fits my short wife perfectly, and matches her 80mm Racer X frame. I believe this is the greatest inovation since disc brakes to hit the bike industry. I'm so happy I waited for these forks. Very nice.

Purchased At:   SPEEDGOAT.COM