Fox Racing Shox Talas RLC 130 2005 Front Shocks

4.5/5 (26 Reviews)

TALAS stands for "Travel Adjustable Linear Air Spring" - and that's exactly what they do: allow you to dial in the travel across a wide adjustment range without changing the spring rate. This feature makes the TALAS line ideal for "all-mountain" trailbike-type riding - turn down the travel for extended climbing, then crank it up when you hit the top.

For 2005, the TALAS line offers disc-only lowers, and an extra 5mm of travel - they now max out at 130mm. They've continued with some of the best features from '04 as well - super-stiff magnesium casting, 12-click externally adjustable rebound damping, and patented scraper-lip seals that keep oil in and debris out, ensuring the longevity and performance of your fork.

The RLC model adds a lockout on the top of the fork leg, with adjustable blow-off threshold to change the compression firmness while in lockout mode. There's also a 9-position, externally adjustable low speed compression damping clicker, making these the most tunable forks around.

Submitted by Arwel

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2012

Strengths:    Three settings, I use the lower myself, but I have had moments when the max had to be used, and it excelled. this shock has improved my personal confidence.

Weaknesses:    I hear a distant thudding when using the middle setting, could this be the damping incorrectly set up? it goes when I set it to low.

Bottom Line:
All in all I'm personally happy with the ride, but worried when I read other comments, i.e. that they don't last. I'll have to wait and see.

Submitted by Michael Lopez a Downhiller from Phoenix AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Strengths:    Has a feel unlike any other fork in its class. You'd have to feel it personally to know what I'm talking about. Rediculously overwelmed with the best technology of its time.

Weaknesses:    None for two years.

Bottom Line:
The best 5 inch travel fork I've ever ridden for an all mountain/XC set up. It failed to shine in the freeride department(as claimed on website), but its really not intended for that... The technology is great; superior to anything currently on the market. It can be plush and supple, and stiff and firm with a blow off mech... just like that! To make things more interesting, the 07 forks are even better! By far the most superior forks on the market today (AT LEAST FOR RACE/ but not everything.)
All of Fox's line of forks are race forks... no entry level stuff, all high-end, so their forks aren't for everyone. A little note to all losers who bashed this fork because they cock-rodded their bikes until they corroded and broke, LEARN FROM IT! Don't bash a product just because your stupid. Common sense can go a long way.... remember that before you post a review that everyone's going to see and base their decision on.. Use this website for what it is for... REVIEWS, not frivilous wining by lack of a higher mental standing.......Thank you, have a nice day.

Favorite Trail:   any one I can find.

Purchased At:   M&M clycling in AZ

Similar Products Used:   Manitou sherman, Fox Float, bla bla bla

Bike Setup:   I have so many bikes its rediculous.

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Tasmania

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustment

Weaknesses:    Durability, EXPENSIVE!

Bottom Line:
These forks have corroded Staunchions which are very expensive to replace. I started having trouble with these forks after about 6 months. Compression seems to have a mind of it's own and once the staunchions corroded there is a fair bit of play between the staunchions and lowers. These are great forks as long as you don't ever get them wet or take them anywhere near dirt tracks!

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Rockshox

Bike Setup:   Scott RC 30

Submitted by Serg Koch a Weekend Warrior from Ukraine

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2006

Strengths:    Weight, stiffness,adjustability.

Weaknesses:    are U kidding.

Bottom Line:
This fork can handle everything and anything over rough terrain and rocks.With it u can ride and no worries about bottoming out, leaking or malfunction.U dial 90 mm and its CC fork, dial 130 mm and U get Fr fork so plush so stiff.Absolutely great work on loong descents and technical corners.So it is a great Fork for moderate freeride that u can quckly readjust and get Ccountry fork.

Buy it, its your fork!

Purchased At:   Veloluxx

Similar Products Used:   RS Reba, Duke, Manitou splice.

Bike Setup:   Trance 3 mostly stock.

Submitted by VMB VMB a Weekend Warrior from Phoenix, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    If it's working properly, it is a great fork, the issue is Fox Forks don't hold up over time (I've got a Fox TALAS on my Titus Super Moto and a Fox Float on my Titus Racer-X).

Weaknesses:    I've had this fork on my Super Moto 2 years now. It had to be rebuilt within the first year because all the adjustment knobs on the right leg didn't work.
In the second year, I had issues with the right side (travel adjust stopped working). LBS couldn't fix it, so called Fox. Fox's response was "here's a schematic, if you can't figure it out, send it back for rebuild".
Sorry, been there done that....I decided to have Push do the rebuild. After Push got the shock, they called to tell me the stanchions need to be replaced due to wear groves. Found out later this is because the factory bushings have too much play, so this creates flex and wear.

Besides the $255 for the Push rebuild, it was going to cost another $175 to replace the stanchions. So, rather than paying $430 for basically a used fork, I've decided to purchase a brand new Marzocchi All Mountain 1 (the 06 models are now being cleared out for $480.00). At least I'll have a two year warrenty.

Bottom Line:
The initial performance of this fork was good, however, I don't believe Fox Forks stand the test of time. They feel good in the showroom and for a short time on the trail, but for long term, they are problematic.

They are too complex for anyone other than Fox to fix, so when you have issues, you have no choice but to return it to Fox so you can spend more money and not ride....

Favorite Trail:   National

Purchased At:   Titus

Similar Products Used:   Fox SID, Duke, Fox Float

Bike Setup:   Titus SuperMoto with all highend components.

Submitted by Chris a Racer from Illesheim, Germany

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Adjustability, looks, PLUSH, feel, you name it!

Weaknesses:    to many damn knobs. Read more below

Bottom Line:
this fork has so many knobs that its hard to kep them all straight. The lock out lever can be a pain in the butt sometimes, it likes to stick half way through turning it. I have to reset it about 3-4 times before it will go all the way. Also when turning the L/O lever with gloves on you also end up turning the blue bezel knob(I think its the high speed comp.)too. This thing has saved my behind more than once though. This fork is just Awsome!!! If this fork didnt come with the bike I definitly would have bought it to upgrade. The onlt thing you caould do to improve on this would be to send it to PUSH INDISTRIES and to put a break hose guide on it, which fox did for the 06 model.

Favorite Trail:   anything that goes up and down

Similar Products Used:   ive used a manitou skarib elite on other bike (not nearly similar at all)

Bike Setup:   Jamis Dakar XLT 3.0- Xmax xl wheels, XTR/XT drive train and Talas shock.

Submitted by Dan M a Cross Country Rider from Chico, CA

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2006

Strengths:    Beefy, sexy, and strong... what more could a guy ask?

Weaknesses:    Careful when dialing up travel on-the-fly, your bike literally jumps at ya!

Bottom Line:
After suffering for years on my old-school Rock Shox, the Talas made me feel like I was floating, almost like the time I first got high. Remember that feeling? It's so nice...

Favorite Trail:   South Rim (Upper Bidwell)

Purchased At:   Cambria Bikes Auburn, CA

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox, Marzocchi

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized stumpjumper fsr expert

Submitted by Jo a Cross Country Rider from Calgary,Canada.

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    2006 talas shock is improved over last years model now does travel 130mm and slow small bumps taken care of. best fork I've used, been through a lot of hassles with other forks, I'm a heavy guy 220 lbs and ride hard core winter time too. other shocks didn't like that too much, they were not all junk ones either rock shox ect. but hard to compare this one with the others this baby beats all. 3.93 lbs wow !!!

Weaknesses:    found air shader valve cover too small for my large saussage fingers but at least it dosen't have to come off too often, shock dosen't leak air so set it and forget it.

Bottom Line:
buy this baby it's the best fork out there for all round xc use and I'm pretty shure I'll be saying this again in a few months too come I ride a lot 19,000 kms in two yrs. My bikes don't get dusty from hangging in the garage they eat tires quicker than I can buy them. never thought i would be rating a fork that cost more than my first car but I can assure you it's worth every penny. if I could give it 10 chilis for each rating I would.

Purchased At:   Cyclepath Calgary

Similar Products Used:   rock shocks, duke xc, sid, rlc, manitou stance,

Bike Setup:   fox talas is on a trek fuel 90, xtr drive train, shifters and derailers,carbon, seat, post, bar, stem, race face.

Submitted by Trevor M a Racer from Durango, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2006

Strengths:    Always plush, always works perfectly, very predictable steering characteristics, it's a FOX

Weaknesses:    You can never blame your bad riding on it.

Bottom Line:
I have had this fork on my 4X race bike for three years now. The paint has chiped, the stickers are torn, but the shock still performs perfectly. The adjustability, quality and stiffness of the fork really make it perfect for racing. I can adjust the angles on my bike to adapt to any course whether it be mostly big jumps and smoothe berms or flat/off camber and bummy. The only required maintenence with this fork is annual seal/bushing/lube replacing. it is an easy 30 minutes to an hour job and never a hassle.

The real plus to riding the fork is the above and beyond support that Fox and only Fox provides at the races. If there has ever been a problem with any of my Fox equiptment Fox didn't even hesitate to come to the rescue.

I would just like to say that the fork may be more expensive then the compitition but with the quality of the product, feather like weight, and the excellent support it is a hell of a deal and perfect for the avid trail rider, or Slalom/4X racer.

Favorite Trail:   Star Wars DH

Purchased At:   Pedal The Peaks

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shock Psylo, Marzocci Bomber, Manapoo Black

Bike Setup:   Factory Iron Horse Hollowpoint MTX
FOX front and rear, Sun Ringle Wheels, Hayes Breaks e.thirteen/shimano drive train

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Logan, Utah

Date Reviewed: November 8, 2005

Strengths:    Adjustablity, even at 20 mph; I actually use the travel adjust and the "lockout" feature. Very plush and stable downhill and not much bob, even with standing on the pedals uphill, when properly set up.

Weaknesses:    Broke after 100 miles of use (under warranty, see below).

Bottom Line:
Good experience so far except for breaking once already. Has anyone else had this problem? It broke for no apparent reason (I was just riding up a ridge and stepped off the bike to wait for another rider, and poosh, my front travel was gone). It had to be rebuilt by Fox, which took two weeks. Some problem with the nitrogen cartridge or something. I was surprised because it feels so stout. Will add to this review if it happens again.

Favorite Trail:   backcountry singletrack

Purchased At:   Wild Rose

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 race disc, including Float rear shock.

Submitted by Pentti Aaltonen from Finland

Date Reviewed: August 28, 2005

Strengths:    Plushness, Travel adjustment, linear spring rate

Weaknesses:    Quality, price

Bottom Line:
A very nice fork, maybe one of the best available. Very smooth. The Talas system is great combined with linear spring rate. Even at 90mm the fork remains plush, unlike may others.

The crown developed a major creak after one month use and was replaced under warranty. Even my old cheapo oem zoke exr took the punishment of my local trails without any trouble, but this very expensive fork failed in a month in similar use.

Hope the new crown will last a little longer. If it still fails I'll sell the fork after repair and get a new '06 RS U-turn Revelation instead. RockShox quality seems to be better these days anyway, for half the price at least here in Scandinavia.

Similar Products Used:   RS REBA Team, Marzocchi EXR Coil

Bike Setup:   Stumpy FSR 120 with all the goods

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Orange County, CA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Wish the A/C height was slightly taller

Bottom Line:
This is actually for the '06 model which I purchased directly from Push with their mods done to it. I'm just blown away by the feel of this fork. It feels as good if not better than the plushest coil forks I've owned (Pike and '05 Z1). It does everything well, soaks up 2-3" tree roots like they weren't even there. I owned an '03 Talas RLC before and just hated it, ended up selling it after a lot of experimenting with different oil weights to try and make it plush enough. This fork is worlds better than the '03 I had, and I'm sure most of it is due to the Push mods.

I just wish this fork had a slightly taller A/C height, but other than that it does everything extremely well. It doesn't dive under braking, rides up high in its travel and just soaks up everything extremely well even at high speeds. The "platform" knob is perfect, I never liked the feel of a totally locked out fork. I can switch on the platform and not worry if I hit a large bump because the fork will still react and be plush. The compression knob does make a noticeable difference and the fork can be set really stiff if I want/need it to be. I weigh 160lbs and run my air pressure at 80psi and it feels like butter. If you have the coin don't hesitate on sending your fork into Push, it is worth every penny.

Purchased At:   Push

Similar Products Used:   Pike, '05 Z1, '03 Z1 SL, '03 Talas, '03 Psylo

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by jaco a Cross Country Rider from costa rica

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2005

Strengths:    light, supple, travel adjustment

Weaknesses:    wish the travel adjustment could be more of a one push deal to the only two different height positions i use

Bottom Line:
I think i got a great fork for the money. theres a lot out there that i havent tried yet though. wish the travel adjustment could be done between one low and high positions for downhilling and climbing without having to twist the knob.

Favorite Trail:   el filo