Fox Racing Shox Float 130 RLC 2005 Front Shocks

4.62/5 (13 Reviews)

The Float is Fox's air-sprung do-it-all fork. You get 130mm (new for '05) of travel to handle all types of terrain (internally convertible to 100mm if you prefer less travel). For 2005, Fox offers disc-only lowers, saving weight and yielding a cleaner look, yet still providing the legendary stiffness you've come to associate with Fox products.

The ultra low-stiction air spring system works in unison with the Float's damping circuits to provide the perfect balance between efficiency, control, and position-sensitive bottoming resistance. 12-click rebound adjuster lets you dial in the damping control. The RLC model adds a lockout on the top of the fork leg, with adjustable blow-off threshold to change the compression firmness while in lockout mode. There's also a 9-position, externally adjustable low speed compression damping clicker, making these the most tunable forks around. 2005 Float's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Submitted by Willem Boom a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2007

Strengths:    Adjustability, strength, weight, ITS A FOX!! LOOKS great.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Buy this if you can find one. Other than that I would look at the new Fox Forks as well. My next bike will be built with a Talas.

Favorite Trail:   Storm King

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Manitou, Marzocchi, etc.

Bike Setup:   Ventana Pantera, Chris King Headset, Thomson Stem and Post, XT Drivetrain with XT Disc Brakes (all 2007), Dual Contol XT Shifters, Yeti ARC Carbon Bars, Panaracer Tires, XT Hubs + Skewers.... Bascially the best stuff...

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur

Date Reviewed: March 4, 2007

Strengths:    Weight, features, travel-weight ratio

Weaknesses:    Delicate

Bottom Line:
This fork is incredibly smooth. It tracks very well and it's light for the amount of travel it has.
Only drawback is it can be a little expensive. I had to dig deep into my pockets to buy this thing. But no regrets, Any fork in the FOX line is awesome. Go for the TALAS if you have the money, if not the Vanilla will satisfy your riding needs.

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Drop off, Fox Vanilla and TALAS, RS revelation

Bike Setup:   Turner RFX

Submitted by Deron a Weekend Warrior from Brandon,Mb.Canada

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2007

Strengths:    Super Plush with great small bump compliance.I am hard on things and it has held up well.No leaks or squeeks.

Weaknesses:    Can not think of anything.Maybe not the stiffest fork if that is what you are looking for.

Bottom Line:
If you can pick one up cheap enough the value is incredible.Buy it if you push the limits and need to be bailed out the Fox Float will not let you down.

Favorite Trail:   dcash@westman.wave.ca

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute (decent),RS REBA(crap)

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur 4X Loaded.Easton carbon everything and Havoc wheels.

Submitted by Jerome a Weekend Warrior from Nevada

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2006

Strengths:    Float technology is the best air spring there is. Can rival any coil out there. Very light for a 5" forks out there.

Weaknesses:    Too Plush....

Bottom Line:
All around fork, point it down or up, you know you have the right one. Excellente!!!

Favorite Trail:   Moab

Similar Products Used:   Talas, Black, Minute

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5

Submitted by Rick a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2006

Strengths:    plush, plush, plush! light, light, light! all the adjustability you can think of. excellent fork....

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
one, if not, the best air sprung fork out there...

Similar Products Used:   manitou minute 2.0, fox talas

Bike Setup:   yeti 575

Submitted by Thomas a Cross Country Rider from Perth

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2006

Strengths:    Reliable, minimal maintanance, stiff. This is a real quality product , make no mistakes despite the high price we pay in the UK

Weaknesses:    Poor dampening, unable to get a good balance between plushness and responsiveness, packs down to much

Bottom Line:
These forks are the third Fox product I have tried and although they are very reliable they just lack the responsiveness and brilliant dampening that Pace manage to achieve on their products. If Pace even sort their reliability issues which I have direct experience of I believe that they will have a fantastic product compared with these forks.

Favorite Trail:   Dunkeld

Purchased At:   Fat Tread

Similar Products Used:   Pace forks of various kinds

Bike Setup:   Turner 5 Spot

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Exton, Pa

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Strengths:    Super Stiff. Almost to many adjustments. Ultra plush for an air sprung fork. Linear spring rate.

Weaknesses:    None that I can see.

Bottom Line:
Best decision I could have made. I am a big guy and have always needed a stiff fork. This fork has stiffness in spades. Awesome adjustments, smooth as butter feel, and impeccable craftmanship. Used to be a hard-core Marzocchi rider but love the Fox now.

Favorite Trail:   Every one at Wissahickon

Purchased At:   West Chester Bike Line

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi Z1, Marzocchi Marathon SL

Bike Setup:   Cove Handjob, Avid mechanicals, XTR F&R, XTR levers, Thomson goodies, XT to Rhyno Lite Wheels

Submitted by biggity a Cross Country Rider from SD

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2005

Strengths:    Weight,materials and maybe looks, adjustabilty options.

Weaknesses:    NOT PLUSH, brake dive, bushing play

Bottom Line:
I did not like this fork at all. Nor did I like the Float 100RLC I had. Neither fork felt like it got the advertised travel. I know for a fact that the 100RLC did not acheive its full 4" travel. The 130 RLC did, but never felt like it. With no amount of tuning could I get this fork to feel Marzocchi plush, believe me, I tried. Brake dive on this fork was terrible. The fork could seriously benefit from the Stratos ID cartride. Within 4 hours of tuning, I was able to get my new Marz AM1 feeling perfect. I felt no regrets selling the Float. On the bright side, this an incredibly light 5" fork. Other than that, I think the new RS Pikes, Nixons and Marzocchi AM's are a better choice. After owning two expensive Fox forks and liking neither, I don't think I will try one again.

Similar Products Used:   Marz AM1

Submitted by SPAM ryder from New Jersey

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2005

Strengths:    Smoooth as butta! lightweight, stiff, infinite adjustability
the lockout is great, did I mention smooth?

Weaknesses:    Still looking............
Durability? Only time will tell.

Bottom Line:
Ever since Fox started making mountain bike products, every other competitor is 2nd rate! Had many forks (rockshox, marzocchi, manitous) and none have been this great this early on. Had to get used to those. This one felt right on from the first ride. A "no regrets buy" for sure!

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   none in 5+ travel =(

Bike Setup:   Intense 5.5, avid juicy 7 disc brakes(awesome as well!, race face atlas cranks, krisking hubs with mavic 819 rims.

Submitted by Peter a Cross Country Rider from Somerville, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2005

Strengths:    This is a plush fork right out of the box with enough adjustmets to change it's entire character. Great Fox quality. Great all around fork for whatever you ride. No regrets.

Weaknesses:    None at this point.

Bottom Line:
If you want to go fast when the going get rough, get this fork. It will make you a more confident rider.

Favorite Trail:   Harold Parker

Similar Products Used:   Fox 100, Amp, Marzocchi SL,

Bike Setup:   Blur, Fox rear, Magura SL, Flite, Grip shifters

Submitted by Shannon Wilson a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR, USA

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2005

Strengths:    No gimmicks (NIXON)

Weaknesses:    None really, but it could use a hose clamp like my 40.

Bottom Line:
This fork has comfired to me that FOX is commited to quality. It feels super smooth right out of the box and just keeps on working. The compression and rebound adjustments work very well. The lock out can be set from just a little resistance to fully locked out, even with the added dampinging it's still pretty smooth. Best of all they don't put gimmicks on that could cause a catastrophic failure!

Favorite Trail:   dread and terror

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Nixon Platinum

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575

Submitted by Clay P. from Campbell Hall, NY

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2004

Strengths:    130mm of travel @ 3.5 Lbs - Are you kidding me? Lock out - Plushness (Is that even a word?)

Weaknesses:    I can't say a bad thing about this fork. I'm not sure how to talk about it around my friends. It always leads to uncomfortable silence on the trail.

Bottom Line:
THIS IS THE BEST FORK I"VE OWNED. It soaks up everything I dish out like a hot knife through butter. It broke in in under a week.
This fork sets a standard for which , I believe, all others will have to live up to in the future. With 130 mm's of travel @ 3.5 Lbs on a single crown fork w/lockout, it negates the need for forks with less travel on XC bikes. -AND- it holds it's own on jumps, bumps, and drops.
I had this fork at Mt. Creek's freeride park and it took everything like a champ. I was happy to have it there, and confident in my ride because of it - which is saying a lot considering I'm a 210 pounder who likes to jump.

Bottom line - If you're considering this fork... buy it. You'll be happy you did.

Favorite Trail:   Serenity @ MTA/Buffer Lands

Purchased At:   Dark Horse Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Manitou- Rock Shox - White Bros.

Bike Setup:   Specialized S-works Enduro, Fox Float R w/Brain, Fox Float 130 RLC (of course), Crossmax wheels, XTR rear, XT Front, SRAM shifters, Race Face Diabolus Stem - bars - and headset, XT cranks, SRAM Cassette, SRAM Chain...blah.. blah... blah...

Submitted by Forrest Arakawa a Downhiller from Pleasant Hill

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2004

Strengths:    Durable, Stiff, Smooth, Easy to Maintain, Easy to ajust, Looks killes, Lightweight for a 5+ inch fork.

Weaknesses:    Anodized knobs seems to lose their color but nothing that would have an effect performance.

Bottom Line:
I've been on this fork for just over 3 months now and can say that it is the best all mountain fork I've tried. It is a great comprimise between weight and travel... Meaning that most 5+ inch travel forks in it's class weigh close to 6 lbs. The compression and rebound work great and are very adjustable... If you're on a long ride and you would like to make subtle changes on the fly you can. I just got back from a weekend at Downieville Ca. where there is a very demanding 17 mile DH trail. There is quite a bit of pedaling on the trail so it's nice to have a 5in travel set up. The Float 130 was able to soak up everything in even the most technical sections. It has a nice progressive feeling towards the end of the travel. Many forks have a very harsh feeling towards the bottom end of the travel. The Float 130 feels nice all the way through.

Favorite Trail:   Dog Bone

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Pike, TALAS, Maverick, Marzocchi FR, Manitou Minute.

Bike Setup:   Blur, Fox Float RL rear shock, WTB Laserdisc Lite Wheelset, WTB Rocket V Saddle, WTB Weirwolf 2.5 tires

2006 Fox forx Float rlc 130 stanchion

I recently noticed a large wear spot on my left stanchion. Does anyone know where I could find upper for sale?Read More »

Fox Float 130 RLC Lock Out Question

OK so this may have been covered before but I can't find it in the forums so here goes.... In MBA they mention in many articles that they can tune their Float 130 RLC's to ride like a Terra Logic or Brain shock, using I believe the lockout and blow off valves. I have never really read a descriptio ... Read More »

Spring noise in my 06 Float 130 RLC

My float RLC is making a clunky-spring sound after about 1/3 of the travel. I'm sure its coming from the 2 springs on the air side. I took it apart and didn't notice anything wrong. They don't look crooked. Sometimes when I hit a square edge bump I can hear the spring move quite loudly. ... Read More »

Hissing Noise on Float RLC 130 (575)

I have the 575 with all good stuff in it. Everytime I hit a bump or drop (big and small), I hear this hissing noise coming from the fork. Not sure if I'm setting the blow off threshold correctly located at the bottom right hand or maybe I'm missing something in the RLC set up. I have a Talas130 R i ... Read More »

Help! Replacing Rebound Shaft on Fox Float 130 RLC

Hi there, well after wrecking, i've broken the rebound adjustment knob from the top of my RLC. I've gone ahead and ordered the replacment shaft from fox, but I have no idea what the correct proceedure is going to be. I've seen diagrams from fox, but it talks about disassembling the left side of t ... Read More »