Fox Racing Shox Float 130 R 2005 Front Shocks

4.27/5 (11 Reviews)

The Float is Fox's air-sprung do-it-all fork. You get 130mm (new for '05) of travel to handle all types of terrain (internally convertible to 100mm if you prefer less travel). For 2005, Fox offers disc-only lowers, saving weight and yielding a cleaner look, yet still providing the legendary stiffness you've come to associate with Fox products.

The ultra low-stiction air spring system works in unison with the Float's damping circuits to provide the perfect balance between efficiency, control, and position-sensitive bottoming resistance. 12-click rebound adjuster lets you dial in the damping control. 2005 Float's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Submitted by Rogier a Weekend Warrior from Netherlands

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, fast and responsive, easy to adjust to your needs

Weaknesses:    It broke with dirt jumping.
Internals bang around inside on rocky rides.
Completely worn out in less then 2 years.

Bottom Line:
This fork came on the bike and i loved it from the start.
It is realy smooth on XC-trails but is still able to take some big hits.

Putting in some extra air when going into heavier terrain is easily done and straightforward: 10% more pressure means it can take 10% bigger hits.

Rebound adjustment is easy and works realy well. Although for me the number of clicks could be reduced. I usually adjust at least three clicks at a time when changing to different terain.

With rocky freeriding it's a bit nervous. More travel would be a sollution here. Furthermore the internals bang around inside, making a lot of noise. This cannot be good for wear....

I broke the fork with dirt jumping in bikepark Winterberg. After overshooting a big table i landed very hard. When cleaning the bike i found a big crack in the arch connecting the lower legs, and one leg was pushed through the crown some 3 mm.
When sending it back for service/repair it appeared that all internals where completely worn out... repair was no reasonable option anymore.

Therefore i replaced it with a Marzocchi Z1 SL: half the price, much more features and just a bit more weight. I still have to see how it performs in the long run, but from the first impression i like it allready much more then the Fox...

Bottom line: beautifull fork for XC and all mountain riding. Not enough travel for freeriding. Not strong enough for dirt jumping. Expensive.

Favorite Trail:   Bikepark Winterberg

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy XC

Bike Setup:   Kona Dawg Dee-Lux, with Mavic Crossmax XL Disc wheels and Shimano Saint brakes.

Submitted by William M. a Weekend Warrior from newport news, viginia, USA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2006

Strengths:    its unbeleivebly light, its pretty sensative to small bumps

Weaknesses:    really to soft, i mean i have a pretty even pedal stroke and when i am just sitting down i feel the fork diving right through the travel i mean it is over half way down, and it can't take hayes brake (my model)

Bottom Line:
this fork has a load of good qualitys but its just not the best for all mountain or (like graves uses it) 4X it is was to soft and i would recomend you to use a marzocchi DJ pro or all mounain 2

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   none really this is my first fork over a 100mm (i used to race xc)

Bike Setup:   access xcl frame, fox float R,avid bb7 front some weird rim in back,easton bars, kona clump stem,hugi hubs (i tried to make it a 4X urban bike as much as i could)

Submitted by Dickie Westbrook a Cross Country Rider from Garner NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    My bike came with an Marzochi EXR Race shock, I swapped it out for the Fox. Made the bike perfect for me.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Fox makes a great shock.

Favorite Trail:   Garner Rec Trails

Purchased At:   Spin Cycle

Bike Setup:   2005 Enduro

Submitted by josh sharman a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2006

Strengths:    fox shock offers a smooth ride on any terrain. It works at its best on the more aggressive xc trails and all the travel is put into use.

Weaknesses:    the shocks bounce can bob when climbing leaving climbs difficult espeacially when you have 130mm of travel. the shock is very bouncie and i would only reccomend these forks to a light rider

Bottom Line:
great forks for light riders seeking agressive xc trails

Favorite Trail:   climax

Purchased At:   -

Similar Products Used:   rp3 rear shock

Bike Setup:   kona dawg delux

Submitted by Scott Senokossoff a Cross Country Rider from Marietta, GA USA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2005

Strengths:    Light, strong, and functions well.

Weaknesses:    After just 10 hours of use it would not accept air. I had to send back to Fox for repair. Now it creaks anytime I ride over a higher root or rock, or when I apply the front brakes. Really annoying. I just bought a Marzocchi All Mtn
SL. Hopefully it will live up to the great Marzocchi reputation. We'll see.......

Bottom Line:
I bought this fork because of the good experience I had with the Vanilla. (It creaks too, but not as bad.) I did read that Fox Air forks were not as good as Marzocchi, but I just thought, "everyone has their opinion". Live and learn I guess. This Fox fork was a disappointment and a huge inconvenience. I will never buy a Fox air fork again! How can I rate anything but the lowest after this experience.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets Creek

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Never used an air fork before. Previous fork was Fox Vanilla 125R. (Great fork!)

Bike Setup:   Ventana El Chamuco, Rhyno Lie XL's w/King hubs, Race Face cranks, XT shifters/deraileurs, FSA FR230 stem, Azonic 2" rise bars, Thomson post, Cane Creek headset, Avid BB7 mech disc brakes, and Fox, I mean Marzocchi All Mtn SL fork.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Jecheon, South Korea

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff and smooth. Uses its full 130mm of travel. Easily adjustable.

Weaknesses:    None, so far. I haven't heard the noises when it's been sitting the others have.

Bottom Line:
My Psylo would only extend to 115mm, even after taking it apart several times and changing to a stiffer spring. It always felt like I only had about 2 inches of usable travel on the brakes. The Float now makes the bike feel balanced with the rear set at 5", and confidence on technical downhills is much higher. I also had problems with the Psylo U-Turn going down on its own, and for the trails I ride it wasn't practical to keep changing the travel every 500 yards. I love knowing I'll have 130mm of travel available at all times. Pricepoint included a new headset to sweeten the deal. Definitely a worthy upgade.

Favorite Trail:   Haso Mountain

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Psylo Race.

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant AC Team with Sram 9.0 drivetrain, Cane Creek Cloud 9 shock, 8" XT discs front and rear.

Submitted by Steve Phipps a Weekend Warrior from Ft Meade, MD

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2005

Strengths:    This is one of the smoothest forks I have ever owned. All you have to do is follow Fox's recommended settings and the fork is spot on!

Weaknesses:    The compression "whoosh" and the thunking.

Bottom Line:
I have this fork reduced to 80mm of travel and it outperforms my 130mm Manitou Minute 2:00! It is so much smoother I consider it to be in a different class. I only wish I tried Fox earlier.
If you want a smooth fork with great handling and can swing the price, buy it.

Purchased At:   Fleet Street Cycles

Similar Products Used:   I've owned, Manitou Mars, Marzocchi Jr T., 04' Manitou Minute 2:00.

Bike Setup:   Blinged out Surly 1X1 with all the bells and whistles.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Gilroy, CA

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2005

Strengths:    Light, stiff, plush, good looks

Weaknesses:    it has the infamous Fox "Thunk"
The looseness in the bushings but it disappears once you get rolling. a bit annoying

Bottom Line:
I really like my first Fox shock. Really good looking, stiff, and one of the plushes fork I've ever ridden. The only annoying part is the Fox thunking and loose headset feeling when the bike is standing still. It goes away once the fork starts cycling through a few bumps. I've written Fox on several occasions on this matter and they say it is why Fox forks are so plush. Oil filled in the bushing gaps and therefore you get a plush ride along with long lasting bushings. If that is how fox forks work, then I'll accept that. But the thunking while standing still is annoying. Overall, I love the fork.

Favorite Trail:   Mailbox, Wilder Ranch, CA

Purchased At:   Beyond bikes

Similar Products Used:   Marzochhi Atom race 100mm

Bike Setup:   Blur

Submitted by Philip a Cross Country Rider from Dresher, PA

Date Reviewed: April 8, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight, simple design.

Weaknesses:    When adjusting the rebound it also has an effect on the compression dampening. The faster the rebound the softer the compression.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this fork because the Psylo was leaking badly. It's adjusted to 100mm stroke and it performs great. It's supple on the small stuff yet doesn't bottom harshly. I'm 165 lbs so I think the compression is about right from the factory. If I was lighther or heavier I might spend the extra money for compression adjustment. I set it up full fast on the rebound which happens to soften the compression as well. Its just right as it doesn't blow through the travel and also doesn't rebound to quickly. This fork tracked noticibly better than the Psylo at the same weight 3.6lbs. Also doesn't leak air like the rock shock did.

Purchased At:   speedgoat