Fox Racing Shox F80 RLT 2005 Front Shocks

4.44/5 (16 Reviews)

Same great race-tuned chassis as the F80X, without the TerraLogic feature. Instead, you get 80mm of travel with a compression lockout, adjustable blowoff threshold and save about 2/10 of a pound - perfect for riders who prefer the lightest ride possible. Magnesium lowers support both 51mm IS disc brakes calipers, as well as linear-pull (V-brake) brakes.

You get a forged 7075-T6 hollow aluminum crown, factory-tuned compression damping, plus a 12-click rebound adjuster so you can really dial them in; plus a high-flow open-bath damper and Fox-patent scraper lip seals to keep things running smooth. 2005 F80's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Submitted by Relliott6879 a Cross Country Rider from Derby, Derbyshire, England

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2011

Strengths:    Durability, dependability and longevity. Plenty stiff enough for me, smooth travel and reasonably light weight (by 2005 standards). Lockout works very well for road work.

Weaknesses:    Err..... I suppose they were quite pricey at the time and, if I'm being REALLY picky, the anodising on the adjuster caps has faded in the sun. The fork IS 6 years old though.

Bottom Line:
I thought I'd write this review as I've recently started using my bike a lot more after a couple of years' abstinence. I bought the fork (F80 RLT) new in 2005 and it has never once let me down. I've never had it serviced (slack, I know) but it still seems to work as perfectly as the day I bought it. I'm not particularly heavy (160 lbs or thereabouts) and my riding consists of a mix of XC trail riding and amateur level racing, coupled with road commuting (6 miles each way). The fork is plenty stiff enough for my use, I've certainly never noticed any obvious flex, even using a 185mm hydraulic front brake. The lockout feature is handy for road work (I use 700C Hope Pro II/ Mavic Open Pro wheels for this) and I've certainly never encountered any of the oil or air leakage problems described elsewhere on this site. Yes, it was a little pricey (£600ish), but to be going this strong after so long I feel this fork to have been a shrewd investment that has more than justified the initial outlay.

Favorite Trail:   Coed y Brenin

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes, Beast

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Judy XC, Rockshox Judy 100 (OEM)

Bike Setup:   1996 Kona Fire Mountain frame, full 2005 XT groupset, USE Alien Carbon seatpost, Easton EC70 flat bar, X-Lite Stubbie bar ends, Hope XC stem, Hope Mono M4 185mm front brake, Hope Mono Mini 160mm rear brake, Hope hubs with Mavic XC717 rims.

Submitted by Kevin Santos a Cross Country Rider from San Bruno, CA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2007

Strengths:    Really plush. Really stiff. Tracks really well. No bobbing.

Weaknesses:    Kind of annoying blurping sound it makes when it hits a bump. Little pricey. The lockout knob, it sometimes touches the rebound knob accidentally turning it as you turn the lockout knob, screwing up your rebound adjustment.

Bottom Line:
This fork came with the 05 Stumpjumper I traded for one of my roadbikes. Since then, I haven't ridden road.
This is so much better than the Judys I've been riding on my first mountain bike. First time I got the Stumpy, first thing I noticed was the fork. I've been on the trails too much, my road bike is collecting dust.

Being a roadie, I have the ability to spin on hills with high cadence. When I rode my beginner mountain bike, I wasn't able to do that. But with this fork on lockout, I bombed up hills. One of the guys i passed even asked me: "do you have a motor on that thing?" I was surprised how the fork held up compared to the crap Judys I started out with.

The fork was an oem F80 RL. Being a highschool student with parents who would never buy me a $600 F80 RLC fork, I think I'll spend my summer job savings to buy a new fork with the compression option or just get my fork PUSH'D. I'm more likely to do that than upgrade my road bike.

This fork is perfect for any cross-country guys. Very plush, stiff, and effective fork.

Favorite Trail:   Carlmont

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox Judy C, Marzocchi DJ 3

Bike Setup:   05 Stumpy stock except the wheels, Mavic Crossmax

Submitted by Ben du feu a Cross Country Rider from Jersey

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2006

Strengths:    aluminium caps look nice
looks

Weaknesses:    lockout stopped locking out after about 500km it now has minimal effect.
not as smooth travel as rock shox pilots which cost a third the price and less reliable,
very expensive to repair

Bottom Line:
Seems to me a lot to pay when they havent performed well, but they were the forks which came on the bike.

Purchased At:   with bike

Similar Products Used:   rock shox pilot 2003
rock shox jett 2001

Bike Setup:   airborne black widow, XT, Avid mech, xc717, hope

Submitted by Bob Lang a Racer from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2006

Strengths:    It came on the bike, just to let you know, very smooth, doesn't leak air, stiff as heck

Weaknesses:    when locked out and you hit a big bump or something it squeaks a bit, Fox says this is normal though

Bottom Line:
Great fork for Cross-Country, Lock out comes in handy in the long climbs in races, handlebar lockout would be nice, very smooth, rebound super adjustable.

Favorite Trail:   Hydro-Cut

Purchased At:   toronto bike show

Similar Products Used:   Marzzochi EXR comp, Manitou Axel Comp, Rock Shox SID Race, Manitou Black Elite, Marzzochi junior T

Bike Setup:   2005 Specialized Stumpjumper

Submitted by Craig Ogilvy a Cross Country Rider from South Africa

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2006

Strengths:    Light, stiff and very responsive.

Weaknesses:    Price and the fork leaks oil, fox seals are really bad

Bottom Line:
I would not buy this fork if i new about the oil leaks and less than adequate fox forks seals, recommend going to eduroforkseal.com for better deals. At least fox are consistant, they fail all the time....

Favorite Trail:   Tokai Forest

Purchased At:   wiilie engelbrecht cycles

Similar Products Used:   fox 100x

Bike Setup:   Specialized Sworks, full XT Groupset Hydraulic brakes, DT Swiss rims with DT Swiss 240 Hubs

Submitted by sidrad mit a Cross Country Rider from boulder co

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2005

Strengths:    stiff

Weaknesses:    oil leak

Bottom Line:
Really like the fork. Super solid. Lockout is nice. But the oil began to leak out. Full Cycle in Boulder replaced a torn O Ring but it still leaked so Fox is sending them replacement parts. They hooked me up with a replacement Bomber so I can keep riding. Very cool. It helped that I scored some bonus $ from my job to help offset the seemingly high cost of the fork. It would rate a 5 if it did not leak!

Favorite Trail:   wp area

Purchased At:   bicycleblowout

Similar Products Used:   rock shox mag 21 and sid race

Bike Setup:   litespeed with sram xo drivetrain, mavic wheels, xt crank, avid v-brakes

Submitted by Neil a Racer from Janesville, WI

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2005

Strengths:    Looks great, very smooth when the trail gets rough, does not bind up when braking hard through bumps.

Weaknesses:    I don't know if it is just me but I have had more problems with fox shox. Last year I ran a F80X and had it sent into fox 3 times for repairs. This year I am running the F80RL and after only a few months it is leaking oil like a mad-dog! I am really disappointed with the fox trying to cut corners on their seals.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is that fox shox are hit or miss, some work and some don't. We have a several people running fox shox on there new bikes this year and about 1/3 are having problems with their forks, the otherones have no problems and love the fork. I really think that if fox can work the bugs out they would have a killer set up. I think the fork shines best in braking bumps, when you are hard on the brakes, and hitting bumps it just works like it supposed to, smooth but stiff.
If you get a bad one though, Fox has a great warrenty department, unfortunately they know me by name!!

Similar Products Used:   F80X, SID team.

Bike Setup:   NRS C1. Some modifications, maybe a new fork in the near future.

Submitted by Mark Edwards a Downhiller from Ojai, CA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2005

Strengths:    Weight, overall feel, looks, adjustment

Weaknesses:    Flex, weight

Bottom Line:
This is a good fork, but it came with a little play between the stanchions and the lowers. Although I am used to a longer travel (5") Marzocchi, I like the fork a lot, even on the downhills. Being a downhiller I thought I would hate the fork but it seems pretty good. The lockout works well. Eventually I think I will replace it with a Marzocchi Marathon Race for stiffness and reliability. If you are racing XC or riding trails, this is a good fork.

Favorite Trail:   Gridley

Purchased At:   Came on my Stumpjumper

Similar Products Used:   Marzocchi MX Pro w/ ETA

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stump Jumper Disc, Thompson stem, Dura Ace chain, XT cassette, XT cranks

Submitted by Stephen a Racer from OKC,OK. USA

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2005

Strengths:    Still lovin this fork.

Weaknesses:    Same as last review

Bottom Line:
I just wanted to give an update on this fork. Its been over 6 months now and have been very impressed with the fox fork. Holds air better than any fork I have used. Doesn't leak oil like some reviews say. Still performs as well as it did new. The weight penalty is well worth the performance. I used to be a gram counter until I bought this fork and I have a new school of thought. A few extra grams are worth the control you get which allows me to ride faster over and around obstacles. In fact my bike shop owner is the latest convert. Gave up his SID world cup for this fork and loves it.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Store Too

Submitted by Evan a Racer from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2005

Strengths:    Super stiff, super plush, quality build, good adjustability, good customer support/racer sponsorship from Fox.

Weaknesses:    Price? Perhaps could be a bit lighter? Not really weaknesses as they are comments...

Bottom Line:
This fork should be the fork which all others are measured by. The action of this fork is unbelievable. No stichtion at all. I put this fork on my Klein hardtail and now can keep up with buddies on full suspension rigs on the downhills. This fork will make you a better rider. You'll be glad you did...

I'm a bit disappointed that it weighs a hefty half pound more than a Rock Shox SID, but the lateral stiffness, control, and action make up for it.

I'm not totally sold on the "Terra-Logic" feature of the F80X (read the reviews on this site). I'd rather have the manual control over the action like the F80RLT has.

Bottom line: This fork makes all other XC race forks looks like cheap toys. If you have the money, get this fork and you'll become a better rider. You won't be sorry...

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Fox Pro Deal

Similar Products Used:   Mantiou, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Klein Adroit Race, full XTR

Submitted by Mike from a few places

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Strengths:    tracks extremely well, amazing small bump performance, as well as big hit performance. much more controll than a rs sid.

Weaknesses:    price/ weight vs. sid.

Bottom Line:
amazing upgrade. one of the few i have made that actually added weight, in this case a half pound, however the bike feels faster in almost every situation. the lockout threshold is very cool, you can set it up to not be totally locked while climbing, so it will still track over small roots, ect. took me some time to get it totallty dialed in, but so does every other fork. also it doesnt leak air like all of my rs forks did the sid felt like a wet noodle compaired to this, amazing fork, get one.

Purchased At:   my employeer

Similar Products Used:   rs sid sl 2001, rs duke xc

Bike Setup:   trek 9.8 xt/xtr throughout. fox f80 rlt. 05

Submitted by AJ a Cross Country Rider from Princeton, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2004

Strengths:    Build quality, stiffness, weight and of course bump eating ability.

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
This is hands down the best fork that I have ever owned or ridden on period! It works as promised, is easy to set up and just performs as it should. Simple as that.

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Sid, Manitou Black

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel

Submitted by Stephen a Racer from Oklahoma City,Oklahoma,USA

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2004

Strengths:    Steers where you want to go and won't deflect off rocks. Absolutely soaks up all the bumps and the lock-out works great.

Weaknesses:    I ride a 16.5 inch frame and the right rebound adjust knob hits my down tube when bars are rotated around. This is a problem Fox needs to address. Pricey, but since when was good stuff cheap.

Bottom Line:
I have only had this fork for a week now and am still in the adjustment phase but I can tell this fork is going to work better than my SID. I am a 185lb racer and could flex the heck out of my SID but this baby just goes. It also takes hits better and the small bump sensitivity is unbelievable. Small roots seem like smooth trail. Also flex is way less when on the front brakes hard. If you are an agressive xc rider/racer I would highly recommend this fork. I know its a bit heavy compared to other forks but it makes up for the weight penalty. I may be jumping the gun giving such a good review but reviews like this is what I wanted to see more of when I was shopping. I will update if things change.

Purchased At:   The Bicycle Store

Similar Products Used:   RST, Manitou Mach5, Rock Shox SID.

Bike Setup:   Litespeed Unicoi w/ full XTR

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Rockville, MD

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2004

Strengths:    Very High Quality Construction, Tracks True, Plush through 80mm, yet little to no bob. Manual lockout easy to use for climbs. Looks great.

Weaknesses:    It ain't cheap.

Bottom Line:
First bike part that I have tried that made me think: awesome. This fork is in a totally different league than the RS Judy. It tracks like a solid fork, but is so plush over big and small bumps. The closest experience I have had is that of a off road motorcycle fork (dirt bike fork), which does what this fork does - soaks up all the uneven terrain, but leaves you in control. Cost - it cost half of what the whole bike originally cost, but I broke the Judy and thought, what the hell, based on the reviews here, I'll try it. Now, I am actually glad I broke the Judy - even though I am out $575, the ride is just so much better. Worth it if outfitting a new bike or replacing a broken fork.

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox Judy Race (oil & coil spring fork).

Bike Setup:   Voodoo Bokor, Easton ultralight hartail, XT parts, cantis.

Submitted by Dave a Racer from Tejas

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2004

Weaknesses:    Certainly not a bargain, but perhaps a fair price.

Bottom Line:
This is one excellent product. There is plenty of forks on the market and choosing one can be an exercise in information overload with all the features and what not. Bottom line here is that this fork does what it says and does it far better than any other comparable product. No fancy names and acronyms to muddy the waters with. In short, believe the postive reviews you read here. Sorry that I don't feel like writing a more winded report here. I'd just be repeating the praise of others...

One thing, I noticed that mine was losing more air than I'd have liked and before calling Fox to b!tch about it I took it upon myself to tighten the valve core and the valve itself into the shock and guess what -- no more air leaks! (Be gentle doing this) This was the icing on the cake because I was not about to go back to Marzocchi or RockShox, airleaks or not.

Thanks,