Fox Racing Shox F100 X 2005 Front Shocks

3.53/5 (34 Reviews)

Enjoy the same lightweight chassis and TerraLogic performance as the F80X, except with 100mm of travel - perfect for 24 hour racing and other applications where you need a bit more travel. You get versatile lowers that support both linear-pull brakes and 51mm IS disc calipers, 100mm of travel, patented scraper lip seals, and an infinitely adjustable air spring. But the crown jewel is the TerraLogic technology, which distinguishes between rider induced forces (standing to climb or sprint, for example) and bump forces from the ground. This means you can climb out of the saddle, bob-free, yet still enjoy a plush fork that soaks up the bumps.

Since the F100X is equipped with TerraLogic, there's no need for a lockout mechanism - it's all handled automatically. You'll also enjoy tremendous longevity and reliability, thanks to features like Fox-patented scraper lip seals. The F100X also features specially designed, purpose-built internal and chassis parts to further reduce the weight. 2005 F100x's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2007

Strengths:    When working works very nicely, plush, stiff and terralogic fantastic uphills.

Weaknesses:    The Seals are complete sh1t. I have managed only 15 rides between each set of seals. The importers to the UK charge £90 for servicing which is approx $180. Yup, every 3 months. And that is for dry riding too - I daren't introduce them to mud! So now I ride my road bike unless there is something very special and dry to go off road for.

Anodising began wearing off after approx 30 (dry) rides.

Customer service - if you fancy being insulted give our UK lot a go. "It's clear you don't take care of your bike" errm no - my old bike is still running 97 Manitou SX Ti which are on original seals+bushings - which have lasted 5 years of XC racing. I build all of my bikes - road and mtb and have never suffered with any warranty problems before. Add that to the Scott with the Fox gets put in the loft from September to March to save the XTR, Genius shock etc being ploughed through the mud - and so I reckon I take pretty good care of them.

"Well in that case you must use commercial cleaner which has stripped the legs" - No again, just a sponge and water.

When I told them, the internet review sites were full of people complaining of leaky seals, the users of such sites are "idiots, simply life's whingers with nothing better to do"

Bottom Line:
The irony of this site is the number of similar reviews means that I can't flog these on ebay and get shut. So having spent all my cash on buying the best I've actually got rubbish and no change for some reba's!

Buy Fox forks at your preil!

Favorite Trail:   Kirroughtree

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Reliable old Manitou SX-Ti's.

Bike Setup:   Scott Genius RC10

Submitted by Gene Furr a Weekend Warrior from Greenville, NC

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2007

Strengths:    Plush and overall build quality.

Weaknesses:    Seals leaked with stock set-up.

Bottom Line:
Outstanding fork once you learn to use Enduro seals. It cost me $75 to have the fork rebuilt at the local bike shop and that included Enduro blue seals. Ever since, not one drop of oil other than a normal light haze. This fork is undervalued for something that is easily fixed. Just don't use the stock seals. Hope this helps with the fork reviews from below.

Favorite Trail:   Beaverdam

Purchased At:   Came with bike

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Epic Marathon

Submitted by Mark Mack a Cross Country Rider from Marina del Rey, CA USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2007

Strengths:    It doesn't leak oil on the first day you own it.

Weaknesses:    THE SEALS LEAK. Seals leaked on both my '04 and '05 forks.

Bottom Line:
The seals leaked. I had my shop send the fork back to Fox. It was lost. For months. Fox did send me a new (2005) fork along with a pump (you know, for the inconvenience). You'll never guess what happens: THE SEALS LEAK.

The 90 day warrantee for seals really sucks.

So here's a question for Fox: THE SEALS LEAK!!!!

My shop charges $40 for the parts and $20 labor. IF you want to keep oil in the strut so it doesn't dry out and score the cylinder or otherwise permanently damage the fork then this is the gift that keeps on giving -- as in MONEY to Fox.

Favorite Trail:   Big Sycamore in Pt. Mago Park

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   04 Specalized Epic Disc

Submitted by Scot South a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 27, 2006

Strengths:    When it works, it works great. Inertia valve is great for climbing. Initally a superb fork.

Weaknesses:    Seals, seals, seals....they leak continuously. The inertia valve also broke (2-weeks after warranty). I only ride cross county, no big hits or drops. The seals only lasted about 300 miles before they went, and the inertia valve went shortly after that. Basically I have a $650 pice of metal in my garage. FOX "customer support" was not very supportive once they found out that I was two weeks outside of the warranty window!!

Bottom Line:
Unless you are a bike mechanic and/or really like working on your fork continuously to keep it working, I would not recommend this fork to anyone. You can buy better for the same money.

Similar Products Used:   Manitou Minute 1, 2, and 3.

Submitted by Sam a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2006

Strengths:    This is a follow up from my previous review (ie: after having owned the forks for ~15 months)

Stable platform valving works as advertised. Seems quite stiff

Weaknesses:    (1) Crown head assembly!!! After nine months of ownership, these things started creaking like there was no tomorrow. The stanchion tubes had warped within the crown so I ended up getting an entirely new crown head assembly. Fast forward another 5 months, and I am in exactly the same situation and in need of an identical repair!!! I have not abused these forks - I ride a 4" Titus Racer X and frankly, I am too chicken to hit anything more than a two foot drop!!!

(2) Fox (Australian) Customer service - my warranty claim was denied by Fox's Australian Representative as it was alleged (assumed?) that I must have had an impact or abused these forks to have bent the stanchions. I can appreciate that Fox must see all types of cases, but I know my style of riding and I NEVER mis-treated these forks. Like I said, I am a 38 year old that rides like an XC chicken! Despite explaining my riding style and asking for technical specifications used for their decision / assessment, I was fobbed off.

Bottom Line:
Two crown head assemblies in 15 months??? Whoa, something is up. When working, these forks perform well - I liked the conering stability and the way the inertia valving works. BUT the durability of these forks leaves a lot to be desired, which is completely unacceptable given the price paid for these. Apologies for the compelte turnaround from my first post below - the honeymoon is well and truly over :-(

Sorry Fox - between poor product durability and customer service that is frankly, nothing sort of insulting (at lease through your Australian importer), I doubt I will ever use any Fox product again.

Favorite Trail:   Langford Park

Purchased At:   Roaring Mouse Cycles, SFO

Similar Products Used:   None previously, just starting to look for replacements now.

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X100 (Ti), Fox RP3 Rear Shock, Sram XO Rear Der & Shifters, XTR Front Der, Magura MArta SL's, XM819 UST Rims, Hutchison Spider Tyres.

Submitted by Johnny a Racer from Foothills near Denver

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, solid

Weaknesses:    Way too heavy, needs that one hit to activate the fork

Bottom Line:
OK, if you race, I say forget this fork. Just was way too heavy for me and made the front-end an anchor. IF you are a trail rider and you don't climb a ton (or hard technical climbing), then this fork will work fine. The RLT did feel lighter, and was a decent 100 mm fork; however, I wouldn't buy this fork again. Oh, and the seals were weak.

Similar Products Used:   SID's, other Fox's, bombers

Bike Setup:   YETI asr-SL

Submitted by Trang a Cross Country Rider from Dillon, CO USA

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2006

Strengths:    The smoothest fork I've ever ridden!!! Beefy stanchion are stiff and track really well!

Weaknesses:    Bad seals, way bad!!!

Bottom Line:
The performance of this product is remarkable. It's smooth, way smooth. And the inertia valve works better than I'd expect. BUT and there is a "big but". This thing has bad seals! I don't know if it is R&D or what but I've already gone through 2 sets of dust wipers(seals) in about 600 miles. I'm light, I'm a finesse rider, and I keep this thing clean, and I'm an experienced bike mechanic. A lot of reviews reflect the same sentiments so beware--if you like overhauling suspension forks like I do, no sweat. But if you think a butter knife makes for a good screwdriver, you might consider selecting a different fork. The F100X will require at least one overhaul per year so after spending almost $800 on this thing, if that sounds reasonable, then this is your fork!

Favorite Trail:   Zippety Do Dah

Purchased At:   MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Rockshox SID (98-2002), they are similar only in that they are air shox. Psylos, Marzocchi Z-1's

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Eric a Weekend Warrior from Gallup, NM

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    1) Automatic lockout simply has to be ridden to be believed
2) Climbs so well, I can almost take it rock climbing
3) Bump-threshhold and rebound damping adjustability
4) Smooth, stiction-free action
5) All metal; no cheap plastic; beautiful!

Weaknesses:    None (and I have >300 miles on it since I bought it used)

Bottom Line:
1) Uber-expensive, so I bought mine used (on eBay) to try it. You will be absolutely, utterly amazed at how it the Terralogic performs. (It is so stupifyingly good, I can't believe the other companies are even still in business anymore.) You can attack every climb completely out of the saddle with ZERO bobbing. Incredible.
2) This fork is almsot spookily clairvoyant the way it reads the trail: fully rigid on climbs, immediately plush at the slightest bump from below. It does the thinking for you so you just ride. If you are a trail rider (and not a huckster) you have just got to try this fork. I'll never ride anything else (I've also got an F80X on my singlespeed).
3) I got mine used, have >300 miles on it, have never, ever done any maintenance (aside from occasionally wiping the stanchions), and it performs flawlessly. I never add air. No leaking seals ever. (I'm 180# and I just ride twisty, steep, loose, rocky desert singlerack (no hucks, no jumps over 2 feet vertical)). If that's you, then this is your next fork. Fox forever!

Favorite Trail:   Any ride beats working...

Purchased At:   eBay (used)

Similar Products Used:   Rock shox, Manitou (various forks, but none of the newer, stable platform ones)

Bike Setup:   2003 Sugar 3+ (new warranteed frame Feb 2006): "Stock" (except Deus XC cranks, SRAM Rocket triggers, Avid SD-7's, King headset, Time ATACs, and Kenda Nevegal 2.1's)

Submitted by Pericles a Racer from Ecuador

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2006

Strengths:    I love the intertia valve technology! it really works for climbing!

Weaknesses:    Although the intertia valve works great for going up, I dindt like it when going down in some types of terrain. for example stone pavement , durability was baaaad. its so damn expensive

Bottom Line:
I really liked this fork. I had to get used to the lockout because jumping got kinda trickier because the fork didnt compress like a normal suspension fork. For climbing, It was great, I love that the fork got stiff by itself. When going down it was also pretty good, although on some types of terrain it didnt work as it should and my hands got numb. what really was horrible about fox is its durability. they start leaking oil pretty bad and soon. the intertia valve starts getting "soft" and doesnt work as well as it should. although constant mainteinance will keep this thing running ok. this is a full XC suspension fork, although I jumped with it a lot, it still worked fine for the whole year I had it on my racing bike

Favorite Trail:   Parque Metropolitano

Similar Products Used:   psylo race, marzocchi Mx comp

Bike Setup:   zenith lanin, marzocchi, xtr, lx, easton, crank bros

Submitted by Jorge Bastos a Cross Country Rider from Vale de Cambra, Portugal

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2006

Strengths:    works very well in most terrains and is easy to adjust without any maintenance!

Weaknesses:    a bit heavy

Bottom Line:
Its a fantastic fork! I ride more than 4000 miles with it with no need to maintenance.

Similar Products Used:   marzocchi Z2

Bike Setup:   Frameset Trek Top Fuel 110,Wheels Dt Swiss 1540,Disk Brake Hayes El Camino, Transmition Shimano XTR

Submitted by Neville Bailey a Cross Country Rider from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2005

Strengths:    Looks good.
When it works, it works well

Weaknesses:    Doesn't often work. Requires alot of maintenance. Seals leak continuously.

Bottom Line:
I have a new bike. After putting in alot of research and discussing the options with my LBS I decided to use the F100x fork. It took several rides to "bed in", after which it rode great for about 2 months, and I completed several cross country races. Then during a recent ride the travel abruptly reduded to about 1 inch, luckily on a training ride and not while I was out of the country on a race.

It is being repaired under warranty. However, for a fork that Fox sells as their top of the range one, at one of the higest prices around this sort of thing is inexcuseable.

Unfortunately this fork is the weak link on the whole bike.

FOX. You need to read these forums. You need to replace your production seals with ones that work properly and don't leak. If you product is not up to spec then you need to lower the price accordingly. We, the customer, don't like paying above average prices only to have the product sitting on the workshop floor being repaired.

And if you tell me this is only an occasional occurrance with fox products, then I will tell more about the last fox prouct I bought, a Fox Vanilla front fork.......but thats another story.

Similar Products Used:   Minute 3's

Bike Setup:   Blur XC
XTR crankset
Hayes carbon brakes
Easton monkeylite lite bars
Ya da ya da ya da.....

Submitted by Ryan Baumann a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2005

Strengths:    Inertia valve design works. It locks out, but still sags. A very stiff fork. Tracks well. Smooth travel once the inertia valve activates. Threshold adjustment works.

Weaknesses:    Seals are junk, replace them with Enduro. The fork has a cheap paint job, brake cables rub off paint easily. "Harsh" ride feeling.

Bottom Line:
A great fork because it is perfect for XC racing. It is stiff enough for the most powerful sprints and descents, but it is plush enough for smooth travel when you need it. The inertia valve design works well, but you need to set the threshold adjustment just right. Too much threshold and the valve will not open while you are seated, and too little and the vavvle will open when you stand on semi-rough ground.

Invest in a pair of blue Enduro seals ASAP, the stock ones will lead on you for sure. Other than that, and the cheap paint that rubs off easily, a great fork.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mounds St Park

Purchased At:   JB Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Fox F80RL, Mantitou Skareb SPV

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC composite 06 w/ Sram X.0

Submitted by Tim a Racer from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2005

Strengths:    Virtual Lockout, 100 mm of usable travel that does not require high pressures to eliminate bob

Weaknesses:    Seals were bad from the first ride with leaking oil. Also, the inertia valve stopped working. This fork has required 10 weeks of warranty work during the previous 6 months.

Bottom Line:
Great fork when it is working. If I had paid $775 for an upgrade this would be the most diappointing cycling product I have every purchased. At a great price, it is still a big hassle wondering if it will be working during races or planned trips.

Favorite Trail:   Maah Dah Hey