Fox Racing Shox F100 RLT 2005 Front Shocks

4.08/5 (40 Reviews)

Same great race-tuned chassis as the F100X, without the TerraLogic feature. Instead, you get 100mm of travel with a compression lockout, adjustable blowoff threshold and save about 2/10 of a pound - perfect for riders who prefer the lightest ride possible. Magnesium lowers support both 51mm IS disc brakes calipers, as well as linear-pull (V-brake) brakes.

You get a forged 7075-T6 hollow aluminum crown, factory-tuned compression damping, plus a 12-click rebound adjuster so you can really dial them in; plus a high-flow open-bath damper and Fox-patent scraper lip seals to keep things running smooth. 2005 F100's feature a new, slim damper cartridge that helps eliminate cavitation and allows a wider adjustment range. The new cartridge saves 30 grams over '04 forks.

Submitted by david Lowe a Cross Country Rider from Nevada City CA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    everything dont break they are so plush can handle 8ft drops

Weaknesses:    none perfect fork out there

Bottom Line:
get this fork its the best out there

Favorite Trail:   BY

Similar Products Used:   reba....its lame

Bike Setup:   jamis dakar

Submitted by david Lowe a Cross Country Rider from Nevada City CA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    everything dont break they are so plush can handle 8ft drops

Weaknesses:    none perfect fork out there

Bottom Line:
get this fork its the best out there

Favorite Trail:   BY

Similar Products Used:   reba....its lame

Bike Setup:   jamis dakar

Submitted by scheckler55 a Weekend Warrior from London

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2006

Strengths:    Good looks, plush, light, rigid when it works

Weaknesses:    Like all the others loose head set clunk developed in left leg after two rides. Went back to MOJO for warranty service and just got it back today with the problem not fully fixed - gone back to MOJO

Bottom Line:
I'm pretty furious, got a £2500 bike I've only been able to ride 1 weekend out of the last four. Angry with Fox for releasing a dodgy product on the market at £550 bloody pounds. Angry at the monkey at MOJO who was supposed to fix it.

Favorite Trail:   Tarquar XC

Similar Products Used:   Talas - much better - I was told the RLT would be more reliable - less parts to go wrong

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 1

Submitted by Greg Jetnikoff a Cross Country Rider from Australia ( Townsville)

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2006

Strengths:    Torsionally rigid, easy to service ( unlike TALAS), smoth stroke, little flex.

Weaknesses:    Compression damping is extremely chaotic. When it hits an obstacle it sort of locks then blows through it's travel, chucking the rider over the front. Th 2006 forks do the same.The larger outer top out/linear load spring snapped in half. Neither GT nor FOX showed the slightest interest. Replaced with a spring I had.

Bottom Line:
NOT up the the TALAS standard at all. Bought the bike partially because it had the FOX forks on it because my TALAS's had been faultless and these are garbage. They came on my 2006 one as well and I have change to Rock Shox Revelations which has improved the bike unbelieveably. Never thought I would have said that about Rockshox but the F100R's have been a sever letdown. Will be very circumspect about recommending FOX to the riders I train from now on except for the TALUS. If you get a bike with F100R's on it try and change them BEFORE you ride. Actually dangerous. Haven't had forks this bad since 2000 SID or Quadras. NOTE the review may not apply to the RLT's as they appear to have different damper unit ( though this may nt be the case)

Favorite Trail:   Tai Chi

Purchased At:   OEM on 2005GTIDXC1.0

Similar Products Used:   Fox Talus ( incredible, they just plain work), Psylo before these, Fox 2006 F100R ( same problems except spring so far), Rock Shox Revelation ( Uturn remote lock& compression)

Bike Setup:   GT IDXC 1.0, Pedal changed to shimano646 and rearset seatpost otherwise stock)

Submitted by Matt Hunter a Cross Country Rider from QLD, Aus.

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff,reliable,setting range,lock off,oh so very plush when dialed in.The faster its pushed the better it works.

Weaknesses:    non yet

Bottom Line:
Done well over 2000klm with them now, have had the head noise clunking, but only hear it on the road. I keep the steed pretty tidy and haven't found any leaks or loose bits and nothing has fallen of, i guess when you make so many thousands of the things you'r going to get one or two bad eggs. I followed the set up in the manuel, useing the zip tie and sag method for my weight, have a proper pump but never use it. Get the standing sag right for your weight and rebound set for riding style and you cant go wrong. True you dont get the full 95mm travel unless you hit real hard, but then it's a xc fork, not a coiler. I run 50psi for a ride weight between 73 and 75 kg, depending on fluid. Forget about the manuels presure/weight guide, and have a play.
Love this fork.I give it 4 hot ones because i still think the lefty is better.

Favorite Trail:   somewhere in NZ

Purchased At:   came with bike

Bike Setup:   05 Kona Kula Delux

Submitted by Jesse VOZA a Racer from St-Martin, Caribbean

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2006

Strengths:    - FOX 'quality'
- High tech product
- Strong
- Smooth

Weaknesses:    - Bushings
- bolts

Bottom Line:
I think FOX is the most serious shock manufacturer. Look at how many racers racing on 'heavy' FOXs now. I never saw a shock that would run trouble free.

But the point is that I was reading along the review and found that the last 4 were talkin about my problem with the 100RLT.

I also lost the rebound adjuster knob on a ride and had to order a new kit... PLUS, The left leg bushing is clunking like a loose headset.

Bottom line. The fox shocks are the best... when they work...

Favorite Trail:   porcupine in Moab

Purchased At:   TRISPORT St-Maarten

Similar Products Used:   Leftys, Maverick, Rock Shox

Bike Setup:   Yeti ARC and Yeti ASR

Submitted by Kevin McMahon a Cross Country Rider from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2005

Strengths:    Don't listen to guy from Hong Kong. F***ing idiot.
100mm of travel
Stiff
Lightish
Lockout

Weaknesses:    I would prefer a progressive fork. When I'm really hammering and the fork is already 30mm compressed I get a little thrown off because the geometry changes a lot. Maybe I'm an XC purist that should stick to 80mm forks...I haven't tried this bad boy out yet on some mean downhill to see whether I'll change my mind or not.
It's also pricey, but not exorbant. We'll see whether I blow seals or not...If I do, I'm getting a SID Team this time.

Bottom Line:
Go for it. Guy from China is an idiot and made the same post for the '06 fork and gave it a 1/5 having not used it. I didn't even know HK's could ride mountain bikes...

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop (came with bike)

Similar Products Used:   Rock Shox SID Race 80mm w/V-brakes. (Super flexy!!!)

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Element 50 w/EC90 flatbar, Selle Italia 215g saddle of some sort...

Submitted by Valerie a Weekend Warrior from South Lake Tahoe, CA

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2005

Strengths:    Easy adjustments, ample travel for my style riding. Lock out option for climbing is great!

Weaknesses:    Expensive. Some gliches with the rebound contol lever locking up, then coming loose and falling completely off, it was history on my last ride, I lost it somewhere along the trail and never found it. The hex screw on the top backed out and the whole attachement fell of, so check it regularly, because it's hard to get the hex screw on very tight.

Bottom Line:
I'd heard and read such negative reviews about the customer service at FOX, I just wanted to give them some credit for taking care of me. I will admit it was very difficult to get in touch with a "live" person until I discovered the only way to do so was to have access to a "4 digit extension". There you could find a live person, or leave a voice mail for someone who would actually return your call. Anyway, once I explained the problem with my rebound lever falling off, they were willing to send one out to me in the mail, and I received it 2 days later. I was very pleased that I did not experience the poor customer service I'd heard so much about. Kudos goes out to the guys at FOX, Thank You!

Favorite Trail:   Stanford Rock

Purchased At:   Cycle Paths

Similar Products Used:   Judy Rock Shock

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur XC, DT Swiss Rims, Kenda Nevegal 2.1, easton monkey lite, F100RLT, RP3, Avid Juicy Seven, Shimano XT, SRAM Attack grip shift, egg beaters, Terry Butterfly Saddle

Submitted by todd jennings a Cross Country Rider from kewanee il usa

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2005

Strengths:    Plush, sturdy

Bottom Line:
Just got this fork back from fox,no more popping. Works great. I know i gave it a bad reveiw,i was disapointed with the popping. I wish fox another 31 years.

Favorite Trail:   independence park

Purchased At:   little ades

Bike Setup:   kona kula deluxe

Submitted by todd jennings a Cross Country Rider from kewanee il usa

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2005

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    popping, sounds like loose headset ready for seals to leak

Bottom Line:
tired of all the garbage, fox was the last resort,does anyone make forks that dont suck!!! i raced this bike 5 times, popping on first ride. hard knocking on 5th race.. been in the shop they thought it was loose headset.. sorry fox but its goin back....didnt finish last race it anoyed me to much i put a marjunkie on this bike now it works fine, no more poppin!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   indy

Purchased At:   lil ades

Bike Setup:   kona kula deluxe

Submitted by James Yun a Cross Country Rider from Bay Area, CA

Date Reviewed: September 30, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome stiffness. 32mm sanctions rule!
Very plush, easy to setup.
Lockout with threshold is a cool feature. You can tune it to act like a platform valve.
Incredible fit and finish. This is one beautoful fork.

Weaknesses:    Could be lighter. For some reason mine weighed in at 3.6lbs.
Compression ramps up to quickly, so I hardly get full 100mm travel.
Slight clunking noise

Bottom Line:
I replaced my Skareb Super with this fork, and immediately appreciated the added stiffness. This gave me more feedback from the handlebars, and raised my confidence on technical terrain.

It's super plush for only the first 50% or so of travel, then ramps up pretty quickly. This is much different than what I was used to with the Manitou coil/air setup which felt more linear. The Fox seems to soak up small bumps very well as long as you set the air pressure low enough. I weigh 167lbs with gear, and I run the fork at about 65psi. Even with that I can't get the thing to bottom out. Overall I'm very pleased with the fork. It's supple enough to handle the small XC stuff, yet ramps up to handle small 1-2 foot drops with ease.

All in all, I can't say its the ultimate XC fork. I have yet to try Manitou's new lightweight R7. Nobody can beat the Fox in stiffness though. 32mm sanctions rule!

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point