Fox Racing Shox 36 RC2 2005 Front Shocks

3.96/5 (25 Reviews)

At under 5 pounds with 6 inches of adjustable travel in a single crown fork, the 36 is in a class by itself.

Weight: sub 5 lbs/ 2.2 Kg
Travel: 6 inches/150 mm externally adjustable with TALAS System 110mm – 150mm
Adjustments: External Rebound, Dual Adjust Compression – High/Low, Spring Pre-load (air)
Downhill-Freeride-All Mountain

Submitted by rudyrocks987 a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2008

Strengths:    Its a really good fork. I have been riding it a lot since I got it and it is amazingly smooth. I love the travel adjustment so I can do the rough stuff when I want to and also hit some jumps and it will bring you though everything. AMAZING

Weaknesses:    It takes a while to customize it to fit your style, but once you do that, your set.

Bottom Line:
Its the single crown I have ever rode and one of the best single crowns on the market. I haven't had any big problems with it yet and hopefully it stays that way. I would get it any day and love to ride with it. It fits me perfectly.

Favorite Trail:   Livewire

Purchased At:   Craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Pike

Bike Setup:   Single Speed Giant STP, dirt jumping bike

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2006

Strengths:    Plush and stiff

Weaknesses:    Lost an inch of travel. This is horrible for Fox to put out a product that cost this much and can't hold up. I didn't spend this much money for a 5 inch fork and I feel burned by a company I thought made a quality product.

Bottom Line:
Fork feels good but has lost too much travel. I have lost faith in Fox.

Similar Products Used:   Rock shock pike, Marzoch Z150

Bike Setup:   yeti 575, XO, Mavic.

Submitted by Ted from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2006

Strengths:    Tunability

Weaknesses:    Loss of travel!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
THIS FORK IS RIDICOULOUS! FOX IS BASICALLY GUILTY OF FALSE ADVERTISING BECAUSE MY TALAS 36 RC2 HAS ONLY HAD 5.9 INCHES OF TRAVEL FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF 2 MONTHS OUT OF THE 9 THAT I’VE OWNED IT. I JUST SENT IT BACK TO FOX FOR THEM TO FIX IT FOR THE SECOND TIME. NOW, THEY WILL FIX IT, AND IT WILL WORK GREAT FOR ABOUT A MONTH , THEN IT WILL START LOOSING ITS TRAVEL AGAIN AND I’LL EITHER HAVE TO RIDE IT THAT WAY FOR A WHILE OR I’LL HAVE TO BE WITHOUT MY MAIN SQUEEZE FOR 2-3 WEEKS. THAT MY FRIENDS IS A SHI**Y DILEMMA! I WISH FOX WOULD GIVE ME A VAN 36 RC2 OR MY $1000 BACK! BOTTOM LINE: DON’T BUY A FOX FORK

Submitted by Chris a Downhiller from Calgary, Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2006

Strengths:    Plush and stiff

Weaknesses:    Loss of travel, poor customer service, cannot recomend this fork, I would never buy another air sprung fox fork

Bottom Line:
Rode this fork for a year, it lost travel and now gets 5 inches. My shop sent it to fox canada to get warranty servicing, that was 4 weeks ago, no one knows when I will get it back, absolutely brutal customer service. Makes me wonder if fox did enough testing before they brought this fork out.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Bike Setup:   05 Heckler

Submitted by John Young a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, light, plush (for a trail fork), TALAS, strong

Weaknesses:    loss of 5mm travel, but hey, I ride with the fork stiff so not a massive issue. Could do with better note for not overtightening the pinch bolts expensive mistake)

Bottom Line:
Great fork, for a trail fork the wind down is the biz, going to get the new 06 version as 13 clicks takes forever when you forget before starting to climb.
Only dropped around 12 to 15ft, but felt OK, predictable in rock gardens, have taken down several H courses and OK, not so good on the boulder fields of Pitfichie DH course in Scotland. makes my Switch super responsive on the front end for he tighter stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Laggan / Fort Bill

Similar Products Used:   Z1 - to easy to blow through travel, and heavy
36 VAN - put switch to half the travel on these babies and they are mine.
VAN 130 - loverly, perfect AM fork
TALAS 125 - nice, but stanchions to small for my liking

Bike Setup:   RM Switch, full XTR, MAXM MX-6 carbon bars, thomson seat post, Hope wheels (choice of AM or FR/DH) Hope mono M4 brakes.

Submitted by Dylan a Weekend Warrior from Peterborough, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2006

Strengths:    Overall look of fork is nice. Lot's of adjustment(HS and LS compression, rebound, travel, air) 36mm stanchions are a nice feature to have too. The fork is very stiff. The colour goes nicely with my bike(rootbeer coloured) Light.

Weaknesses:    Ok.. I bought the fork used, so maybe I had it coming. But to me, I don't see how ANY 1000 dollar fork could just break like this. The travel adjust was stuck. Won't move. Stuck, at 110mm. My lbs couldn't figure it out, so now it's at fox. Seems like a scam, considering service charge is 25 bucks and shipping is 8. So just to get the fork there is over 30 bucks.

Anyways... my man Carl was an honest dude, and said he would pay for the fork to get fixed, since he said it worked(long story. But Carl, props)

Other then that, the fork is nice. It would be better with about 5 click instead though.

Bottom Line:
while I did get a chance to ride the fork for a day. It is plush, it is light, and it looks sweet. I am not happy, sending in a fork that costs this much, to have it fixed. Not serviced(which should be able to be done by lbs anyways) but fixed. I will ride the fork for this season, and if I don't like it I'm buying a manitou nixon. Maybe I'll have better luck.

Fox.. please work on this fork, and stop letting people down.

Favorite Trail:   Freeride, 4x, Street

Purchased At:   Pinkbike

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really. Had 2 shermans before this fork. Rode a few zocchi Z1's.

Bike Setup:   2005 Manik, MTX rims, single speed, avid bb7, sic stem deity bar, Hozfeller cranks, holy roller tires. Street/Freeride/4x setup. Weighing in at 30.6 pounds.

Submitted by Shane a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2005

Strengths:    This is an update from previous review

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my previous review. After the comments I made on MTBR. I was immediately contacted via email by Mario Galasso / VP Bicycle Division of Fox Racing Shox, he was in agreement with my assesment. He then told me if we get it by Wednesday, you will have the fork by the weekend so that you do not miss anymore rides.

Fox followed thru on their word and I am once again a very satisfied Fox Shox customer. Fox's customer service and follow thru was A+++++++ and the fork rides better than any other fork ever!!!!

Thanks!

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   Nomad

Submitted by Shane a Weekend Warrior from Portland, Oregon

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2005

Strengths:    Don't know

Weaknesses:    customer service

Bottom Line:
I paid a grand for a fork to build up my Nomad frame and got screwed. The TALAS system was broken staight out of the box. I didn't find out til my first test ride around the block. Lbs had to send it back along with one they just got on a Nomad from SC. Lbs says labor is free but I have to pay shipping both ways. WTF. If you pay a thousand dollars for a fork shouldn't it work and or shoulnd't they give you a replacement on the spot? Buyer Beware!!!!!

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   any Judy, Z1, Psylo, Float 100 rlc

Bike Setup:   Nomad, Hayes, Chris King, XTR, Thompson

Submitted by Dano a Racer from Nashua, NH USA

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2005

Strengths:    Rock solid, easily adjustable

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
very nice fork for my needs, I keep it @ 140 mm for general cross country riding, no problem climbing. Of course, if I'm going to climb a really long hill I'll twist the knob all the way down and if I'm going down a long or steep run I'll twist it the other way. I don't know if the complainers are racers or what, but it takes maybe 5 seconds or less to change the height and if you are agile you can do it while riding. and once you find a setting that suits your riding style you don't need to change it very often if at all. And the BROWN color looks great with my brown ano enduro.

Favorite Trail:   FT Rock

Similar Products Used:   talas rc, sid,

Bike Setup:   enduro pro 05

Submitted by Adrian a Weekend Warrior from Cairns, qld Australia

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2005

Strengths:    Stiff,tracks like a train.Good weight, for 6" travel.Tuneable, good range of adjustment.

Weaknesses:    None so far, expensive but all good things are.

Bottom Line:
I've had no problems with travel adjust yet, I don't use it on the trail as I ride always in 6" mode to keep my bike balanced, when climbing you get more traction with the travel so I just lean more forward or stand for the steep pinches. I cycle it as part of my maintenance procedure, I also always use a GOOD torque wrench on all things. I agree that better user service possibilities would be a good thing.
The fork is the only otion when you gotta ride to the top of a steep technical trail, if you don't mind walking you can get something heavier. I find lower psi and more hs compression for general trail use is good and little more ps for qownhill.

Favorite Trail:   Glasiers/ Douglas

Purchased At:   Pump n Pedals

Similar Products Used:   psylo, exvert, vanilla R

Bike Setup:   Craftworks 6" FSR full XT, freeride/ trail

Submitted by Matt M a Weekend Warrior from DENVER

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2005

Strengths:    FORK IS VERY STIFF AND TRAVEL ADJUST IS NICE WHEN GOING UP A LONG CLIMB. VERY TUNABLE.

Weaknesses:    i HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITHE THE TALAS AND THE DAMPENING SIDE OF THE FORK. THE TALAS HAS BEEN REPLACED AFTER A MONTH OF RIDING KEPT CREEPING DOWN TO 140MM OF TRAVEL. I HAD FOX PUT IN A NEW TALAS SYSTEM AND AFTER ONLY THREE RIDES IT IS BACK DOWN TO 145MM OF TRAVEL. NOT A BIG DEAL BUT THE FULL 150 WOULD BE NICE. I ALSO BLEW THE DAMPENING CARTRIDGE THE FIRST MONTH. IT LOST OIL IN THE CARTRIDGE AND LOST DAMPENING THE FIRST HALF OF THE STROKE. TOOK 3 WEEKS TO GET IT BACK BECAUSE THIS FORK IS ALMOST 100 PERCENT NON SERVICABLE. WOULD BE MUCH BETTER IF FOX GAVE MORE INFO ON REBUILDS AS THE OTHER MAJOR SHOCK MANUFACTURERS DO. THIS FORK IS GREAT WHEN EVERYTHING IS WORKING BUT I THINK THERE ARE STILL SOME BUGS TO WORK OUT.

Bottom Line:
I FEEL THIS WOULD BE A GREAT FORK ONCE THEY GET THE BUGS OUT, IT RIDES GREAT BUT THE FAILURE OF SOME OF THE FEATURES IS A REAL BUMMER. FOX NEEDS TO MAKE A MORE RIDER MAINTAINABLE FORK SUCH AS ALL THE OTHER FORK MANUFACTURERS. I THINK THE OVERSIZED STANTIONS AND ADJUSTABLE HIGH AND LOW COMPRESSION IS A STEP IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION. i HOPE TO SEE A MORE BOMBPROOF PRODUCT IN THE FUTURE.

Purchased At:   SHOP

Similar Products Used:   MONSTER T, PIKE TEAM, MARZOCCHI Z1, ROCK SHOX BOXXER

Bike Setup:   ENDURO PRO 2005, 5TH ELEMENT DUAL AIR CAN, CROSSMAX XL

Submitted by Dugo a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2005

Strengths:    Well...stiff is a good start. Tracks true and it really does absorb well. Pretty Light for what it is.

Weaknesses:    The SH*T BROWN Color....give me a break Fox... Brown is not complimentary to any other color but maybe Tan. How many Tan bikes are out there??? And yes the cost, but $1000 for a Maverick makes this fork a bargin.

Bottom Line:
Ok...I replaced a Zoch Z150 with the Fox. I have to admit that the LAS part of TALAS is pretty damn good. The Linear Air Spring really does feel like a coil. I haven't had any issues of losing travel, but I'm not sure I'm getting a full 6". Then again they all play this game. The fork shaved a pound off my bike so it is lighter than the Zoch and it is stiffer. I noticed off the bat that the ride was plusher and that the front end was more stable. I've flogged the bike down some pretty knarly terrain and the FOX does perform well.

Ok so what don't I like...the TA part of TALAS is a bunch of crap. I'm sorry but if I have to reach down and turn the travel adjust 7-8 rotations to go from Max to Min, I ain't using it. Oh, I guess I'm suppose to get off the bike right before long climb and adjust it...NOT!!! Give me the Zoch ETA any day...Fox and SRAM (Rox) would be wise to license the technology from Zoch. ETA is the greatest feature Zoch ever came up with...1/4 turn and you close of the rebound circuit and the fork settles down to the travel necessary for the climb. Yea, it ramps up the dampening, but when I'm climbing (especially out of the saddle), I don't want a lot of dampening...I want as close to locked as I can get and still have a little compliance. 5 chilis to Zoch for ETA....zip to Fox for TA...

And the color....well, I've rambled enough....basically I don't need to tell you that the Fox Sh*t Brown is the worst I have ever seen on a fork.

So how do I rate this....2 Chilis for Value. The freakin' thing is really expensive and it does perform well, but the color and the Travel Adjust really knock it in my book.

Performance wise I'll give it a 4, because it does rail and it will eat up anything you throw at it. Would I buy it again??? Not until they change the color and make an on the fly climbing travel adjust...1/4 turn guys, 1/4 turn!!!

Favorite Trail:   Otero until they butchered it.

Purchased At:   Someplace on the Net

Similar Products Used:   Zoch Z1 & Z150 FR Coil, Manitou Minute 1

Bike Setup:   Titus Super-moto with Mavic EX823 UST on Conti Verts...yada, yada, yada

Submitted by Paul a Weekend Warrior from Santa Barbara

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2005

Strengths:    Superstiff in all directions; Anything stiffer won't make much difference. light and airy, easy to huck. Color looks great once the light brown superfine dirt has coated it nicely. Fat tubes look good.

Weaknesses:    Way too expensive. TALAS system has lost 11mm of travel after some riding, so far it hasn't returned. That's a major problem.

Bottom Line:
OK. I like this fork because I own it. Seriously though I feel like I have to rationalize my purchase of the RC2. I'm actually not very happy with it. Sure, it's way stiff, way light, easy to adjust, supersweet to look at, but ummm LOSING 11MM OF TRAVEL JUST IS NOT ACCEPTABLE. Kinda makes me ill just thinking about it. $850 / 150mm = $5.66 per mm of travel, therefore, 11mm = $62.33. But that's misleading; i feel like i've lost more than that!

On the plus side, after several rides it's damn buttery smooth. Fox plush is not the same as the well known Marzocchi plush(which I think is generally way too spongy plush) and I prefer Fox's plushness.

I'm a fox fan, and love their stuff, but they need to fix the travel loss issue. I own this fork, and I like it, but I'd love it if i got the 11mm back. I hate to say this about a product I just bought and intend to keep, but don't get it unless you can live with travel loss.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   888RC, Z1

Bike Setup:   American Beryllium, 36RC2, sprinkled with Gold.

Submitted by serhij a Weekend Warrior from Poland

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2005

Strengths:    stiff, plush (well set up works almost like coil), adjustable travel, great job with comperssion adjustments

Weaknesses:    price, after few rides travel packs up by ~5mm and needs to be restored by pumping up some extra PSI

Bottom Line:
Great fork, still I belive "packing up" is unacceptable in this expensive stuff. But I can recomend it to any trail/FR rider. If You want good fork - buy Fox but remember it's just a fork. It'll never be legend like Marzocchi Z1BAM.

Favorite Trail:   TPK