White Brothers VT 2004 Front Shocks

White Brothers Cross Country forks offer you the stiffest platform with the least weight of any single crown fork on the market.* Whether you need a World Cup quality cross country/marathon race fork, or an easy travel adjusting backcountry fork, the White Brothers single crown forks can’t be beat.

• VT 1.3 (80-130mm infinitely adjustable travel)
  • Proven dual action damping system with true compression lockout
  • 32mm aluminum stanchion tubes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by REEK a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, looks, simple to work on

Weaknesses:    long break in period (not a real weakness), iffy seals, unsettling-ly narrow

Bottom Line:
    first of all, White brothers are sweet to look at. That said, I was worried how narrow the fork was when I got it. Essentially identical to my 99 sc90 in width. But after mounting my 8 inch rotors and 20mm axle wheel, I notice there was as much if not just a bit more tire clearance for a 2.5 tire compared to my Z1. Interesting. I guess as long as it all fits and there's no rub, great!

Second, every time I buy a White brothers, I swear I'll never buy one again. But once the first 100 or so miles go by, I swear I'll always buy a WB fork. If you buy one, be patient. The fork absolutely pisses you off until it is broken in, then it's one of the sweetest forks you'll ride.

I bought the 20 mm VT 1.3. Put it on the scale with axle and came in at 4 lbs. Nice, especially for a fork with 5 inches of travel. The seals still seem iffy to me but I guess I'll see on my next tear down.

Also, if you buy a WB fork, first thing you need to do before riding it is take it apart, grease the bushings (WB says break it in first). The break in period take a bit more but in the long run, it'll keep your fork running.

Too bad White brothers doesn't have as big of a market presence as they used to or should. Probably the price. Drop the price a $100 and you'll get 5 turds on the value rating!

Favorite Trail:   Clementine loop, CA

Purchased At:   MTBstore.com

Similar Products Used:   White Bros XC 1.0 and SC90, Marzocchi Z1, Shiver SC, MX comp

Bike Setup:   03 Dakar XLT, Hayes, XT 8 speed drivetrain

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Northern,NJ

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Strength, weight, stiff. Customer service is top notch. Coil/oil is buttery smooth.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
    White Brothers is undeniably the highest quality fork company on the market. White Brothers has been in business for a long time and was the first to produce a stronger and lighter fork than the competition. Fox is a close second. A White Brothers fork will out perform, weigh less, and out last any Marzhocci fork.

White Brothers sets the industry standard for customer service. I had a problem with the adjustment knob. It became loose during normal riding conditions. When I called customer service, they were aware of the issue and promptly sent me a replacement part with directions.

The VT 1.3 looks high quality with beefy 32mm stanction tubes. The black and silver color scheme would complement just about any bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   Marzhocci Z.5 Air

Bike Setup:   Custom hardtail

bike trails near manchester vt.

Hi , girlfriend and I will be staying in Manchester VT. at the Inn at ormsby hill . We ar looking for some trails to ride that are good for all levels . She is a beginner (knows how to ride a bike little to no off road riding) . I would consider myself low intermediate rider(ride frequently , gettin ... Read More »

Manchester/Stratton/Bondville, VT?

Will be in VT next weekend & would like to get some singletrack in. Appreciate any ideas. Thank youRead More »

Travel to VT/NH/Maine

Thinking about packing up my SC Tall Boy and heading to the New England area for a week of riding and sight seeing. I'm a mid pack rider that enjoys the excitement of racing and trying new trails out. Will most likely be in VT on 16 or 17 of Aug and need to be back home on the 23rd. All of ... Read More »

3 bests rides near Burlington, VT

I have a one week vacation in Burlington, VT from August 11th to 18th. I'll be there with my girlfriend and our two kids but I've seen there's some good MTB trails near by so I'm planing 2 or 3 ride by myself... Any comments/experience/suggestion?Read More »

Dover VT Riding (Mt. Snow)

I am headed to Dover for 4 days next weekend for the 4th and would love some recommendations on mtn bike trails. I found crosstown trails online but not much more. Thanks for your help.Read More »