White Brothers VT 2004 Front Shocks

White Brothers Cross Country forks offer you the stiffest platform with the least weight of any single crown fork on the market.* Whether you need a World Cup quality cross country/marathon race fork, or an easy travel adjusting backcountry fork, the White Brothers single crown forks can’t be beat.

• VT 1.3 (80-130mm infinitely adjustable travel)
  • Proven dual action damping system with true compression lockout
  • 32mm aluminum stanchion tubes

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by REEK a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore, MD

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    Light weight, stiff, looks, simple to work on

Weaknesses:    long break in period (not a real weakness), iffy seals, unsettling-ly narrow

Bottom Line:
    first of all, White brothers are sweet to look at. That said, I was worried how narrow the fork was when I got it. Essentially identical to my 99 sc90 in width. But after mounting my 8 inch rotors and 20mm axle wheel, I notice there was as much if not just a bit more tire clearance for a 2.5 tire compared to my Z1. Interesting. I guess as long as it all fits and there's no rub, great!

Second, every time I buy a White brothers, I swear I'll never buy one again. But once the first 100 or so miles go by, I swear I'll always buy a WB fork. If you buy one, be patient. The fork absolutely pisses you off until it is broken in, then it's one of the sweetest forks you'll ride.

I bought the 20 mm VT 1.3. Put it on the scale with axle and came in at 4 lbs. Nice, especially for a fork with 5 inches of travel. The seals still seem iffy to me but I guess I'll see on my next tear down.

Also, if you buy a WB fork, first thing you need to do before riding it is take it apart, grease the bushings (WB says break it in first). The break in period take a bit more but in the long run, it'll keep your fork running.

Too bad White brothers doesn't have as big of a market presence as they used to or should. Probably the price. Drop the price a $100 and you'll get 5 turds on the value rating!

Favorite Trail:   Clementine loop, CA

Purchased At:   MTBstore.com

Similar Products Used:   White Bros XC 1.0 and SC90, Marzocchi Z1, Shiver SC, MX comp

Bike Setup:   03 Dakar XLT, Hayes, XT 8 speed drivetrain

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Northern,NJ

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Strength, weight, stiff. Customer service is top notch. Coil/oil is buttery smooth.

Weaknesses:    None that I can think of.

Bottom Line:
    White Brothers is undeniably the highest quality fork company on the market. White Brothers has been in business for a long time and was the first to produce a stronger and lighter fork than the competition. Fox is a close second. A White Brothers fork will out perform, weigh less, and out last any Marzhocci fork.

White Brothers sets the industry standard for customer service. I had a problem with the adjustment knob. It became loose during normal riding conditions. When I called customer service, they were aware of the issue and promptly sent me a replacement part with directions.

The VT 1.3 looks high quality with beefy 32mm stanction tubes. The black and silver color scheme would complement just about any bike.

Favorite Trail:   Any