RockShox Sid Race 2004 Front Shocks

4.11/5 (9 Reviews)

Cross Country Racing Suspension

SID® is preferred by more racers and cross country riders than all other forks combined. Could be because they're the lightest XC forks you can ride. Or it could simply be that racers who use SID® win.

Submitted by trailmutt a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Strengths:    Light weight, used a SID (not sure which one) on my hardtail before I bought this bike and did not have many problems so I stuck with it (big mistake)

Weaknesses:    Keeps having to go to the shop because it loses it's travel and bottoms out all the time. Way too flexy for any hard riding in squamish or Vancouver. I am putting a marathon SL on now instead

Bottom Line:
This one caused me too many problems and not sure if the shop knew how to fix it properly. Sending it to the commuter, I think it is at the end of it's life.

Favorite Trail:   XC - bby mtn

Bike Setup:   Rocky mountain

Submitted by KiwiJames James a Cross Country Rider from Lafayette

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2007

Strengths:    Price vs Weight ratio!! This is light..and durable thus far. Have yet to have it rebuilt. Use this for Xterra...flawless. No air loss....

Weaknesses:    Lock out would have been handy a few times, but there's another model for that.

Bottom Line:
This is X-country only...anything more in required travel will overload this shock. I'm a clydesdale triathlete and occasional xterra participants....and I noticed the difference heaving it all up Tunnel Creek to the flume for the NV races.
With the settings maxed out, it has held up great. As for flex, I have discerned it a few times, but not critical.

Favorite Trail:   Flume w/back country loop

Similar Products Used:   Dukes for a few years. Manitou Blacks

Bike Setup:   Sugar 1, XT, Avid BB7s, X717 disc, monkeylites..sub 25LBs

Submitted by Jay a Cross Country Rider from Quebec

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2005

Strengths:    very Light, very tunable

Weaknesses:    fragile, flexy

Bottom Line:
I've been please with this fork for one season. Worked fine from may to the begening november (tune-up made by the end of august and after the season at LBS)

Second season was'nt as good: worked fine from may to begining of july-lost half of travel (!) Tuned it up at LBS (they are class A mechanics) worked well for another 2 weeks then lost half of travel again. No leak. LBS again.

Even if I'm racing, I ride smoothly. Honnest. I weight 160lb, and the steerer has been cut short. (The longer steerer you have, the more flex you get.)

BOTTOM LINE : This fork has given me great times in the woods, but is not solid enough even if I do use it like I'm suppose to. To be as light as it is, they build it to thiny. It does flex. Compare it! When it flex the bushing (and all the fork) compress laterally and wear. The fork is good and reliable for one season (if you forget the flex issue), but is not trouble free. No more Sid for me.

My next fork will still be light, a little heavier but wont be as fragile as this one. Looking for Magura Ronin, RS Reba WC, fox RLT. dont know yet

life is outside

Similar Products Used:   Manitou black, rigid

Bike Setup:   raceproof, light, double suspension, XT-X0 carbon etc.

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider from Pensacola, FL USA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    Very light, great performance, very tuneable, good looks

Bottom Line:
This has been a great fork for me. It has a excellent feel when setup fairly stiff, won't be a boat anchor on the front of your bike, looks great and has been very reliable. I don't notice the flex like some of the other reviewers. I wanted a nice light fork and the SID Race has worked great. I cannot understand putting a 4.5 pound fork on the front of a bicycle unless your trip is all downhill. Even at the full price, I would still buy this fork again.

Purchased At:   On ebay from a bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Manitou carbon Ti, Manitou Minute One

Bike Setup:   Moots hardtail, SRAM XO drivetrain, Avid SL brakes, HUGI with mavic517 wheelset, Thompson post, Monkeylite bars

Submitted by Dave from England

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2005

Strengths:    Very, very light. Great xc race fork and not bad all round performer. For a very light rider like me they work extremely well and with 75% of all adjustment done by air, fine tuning it to rider weight is not a problem.

Weaknesses:    Even with my minimal weight they were flexy and were not very solid on the downhills, alot of deflection. They are unreliable. I thought they were good value but with all the servicing they will need, the money will add up. Some of the internals broke on mine in less than 10 months of very mild xc use. But i didnt service them in that time.

Bottom Line:
Great xc race fork, probably the best you'll get. But they flex, are weak, quite unreliable and need alot of maintanance to keep them in running order. I would recommend Rebas over these.

Purchased At:   Bike Dock

Submitted by Lars a Racer from california

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2004

Strengths:    it is great for racing especially for a cyclocross race(if you use a mountain bike) extra light

Bottom Line:
it is the best xc fork i have used beside the fox vanilla but for cross country it is the best because of how light it is
i definatly recomend this product

Purchased At:   pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   rock shox Duke, sr suntoir, rock shox judy xc

Bike Setup:   titanium frame deore/deore xt with sid fork

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, CA

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2004

Strengths:    Lightest fork on the planet, great looking fork, very adjustable, can use disc or V-brakes, comes in my favorite color-black.

Weaknesses:    Not the quality of a Fox or Marzocchi for this type of fork but costs much less. Lock-out would be nice but the additional cost is substantial. As with all air forks there is some stiction.

Bottom Line:
A very light and good fork for the money that's great for XC. Not made for freeride, Jumping, and general abuse. If you use this fork for its intented purpose, it should hold up well. This fork gets better every year. I enjoy riding on 80mm forks and I'm glad Rock Shox is still making them. Not everyone wants lots of travel.

Favorite Trail:   any trail

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Lots of forks from Rock Shox, Fox, Marzocchi, and others.

Bike Setup:   Supergo Access XCL 18" hardtail with Avid 185mm Mechanicals.

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from Stillwater, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2004

Strengths:    This is the ultimate in KISS (keep it simple, stupid) philosophy. Easy to adjust, understand, and maintain. SUPER light! Very plush without dampening, stiff as hell with dampening pressure. All adjustments are sensitive AND they cover a huge range. Very little lateral flex, unlike previous years models.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to find a happy medium in terms of dampening. Riders should consider the lockout version. Definately not as plush as some other forks on the market (FOX comes to mind), but weighs a pound less than anything better.

Bottom Line:
I don't think anyone's going to be dissapointed with this fork. It is incredibly light. When compared to other ROCK SHOX forks, I think this fork feels the best. However, it does not have nearly the same quality of ride as FOX or Manitou.

Purchased At:   County Cycles Roseville, MN

Similar Products Used:   Same thing with the lock-out from 2001

Bike Setup:   Salsa Bandito, American Classic headset,SRAM trigger on right, twist on left, SRAM drivetrain, FSA Carbon Crank, Hugi 240 hubs in Mavic 717's. 19 lbs, 3 oz in 21" with pedals.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2003

Strengths:    I'm one of the people out there who ride the cross country hard and for what its worth this fork can cope. I had last years model but it sprang minor leaks from the Negative Air Chamber. One Saturday I had it pumped to 160psi and after four hours riding it droped to 120 (although it was very plush at 120psi),this is not on. The new fork how ever has not given me any grief. Its pressure has stayed the same since I got it in October. It absorbs the bumps like a hot knife through butter and if you set the rebound up nice along with the right amount of sag for your weight you are laughing all the to the single-track and back. And of course it's the lightest fork around.

Weaknesses:    I could not put in my Hope Head Doctor in the steerer tube, I do not know why but it just did not fit. I had to replace this with a standard top cap and it's fine now.
Also Rock Shox could have used better seals on the upper tubes. I think Marzocchi Marathons or X-Fly's have much better seals. Apart from that minor thing, nothing.

Bottom Line:
Well worth it, you will see for yourself. You will notice the difference straight away unless u've been riding something sh*t. Now even more worth it with the big UK price cut.

Favorite Trail:   Grand Union Canal